What a Man Will Do For Love: Wallis Simpson Story (Please Read)

cocoberry10

Hello Ladies:

After reading the responses in the male golddigger thread and some of the other threads, and last night after watching the intimate portrait of the British Royal family, I got to thinking of Wallace Simpson.

For those that don't know, Wallis Simpson was a twice divorced American woman, whom the Prince of Wales (Prince Edward) abdicated the throne for so he could marry. Yep, I thought of them because I remembered that Queen Elizabeth (Elizabeth II) actually wouldn't have been the Queen if not for that act. I just had to post this, because it reinforced to me what a man will do for love. No, I don't expect a guy to abdicate his throne, but I realize that a man in love will do much to please his lady and show her that he cares! Remember this story when you have doubts about your man!:yep:
_38750511_wallisap300.jpg

250px-Wallis_and_Edward.jpg

Wallis.jpg

_38750471_sofa150.jpg

_38750491_couple150.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wallis_Simpson (See for the rest)!

Wallis, Duchess of Windsor (previously Wallis Simpson; previously Wallis Spencer; born Bessie Wallis Warfield; 19 June 1895 or 1896 – 24 April 1986) was the American wife of Prince Edward, Duke of Windsor.
After two unsuccessful marriages, she allegedly became the mistress of Edward, Prince of Wales in 1934. Two years later, after Edward's accession as King, he proposed marriage. The King's desire to marry a twice-divorced American with two living ex-husbands and a reputation as an opportunist caused a constitutional crisis in the United Kingdom and the Dominions, which ultimately led to the king's abdication in December 1936 to marry "the woman I love".[2]
After the abdication, the former king was created Duke of Windsor by his brother George VI; Edward married Wallis six months later. Following this marriage, she was formally known as the Duchess of Windsor, without the style "Her Royal Highness". Before, during and after World War II, the Windsors were suspected by many in government and society of being Nazi sympathisers.
In the 1950s and 1960s, she and the duke shuttled between Europe and the United States, living a life of leisure as society celebrities. After his death in 1972, the duchess lived in seclusion and was rarely seen in public. Her private life has been a source of much speculation, and she remains a controversial figure in British history.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/2699035.stm

Bessie Wallis Warfield, as she was born in Baltimore, Maryland, was something of a misfit from the start.

Her arrival in June, 1896, came just seven months after the marriage of her parents, causing some embarrassment to Warfield relatives for whom moral propriety was essential as the elite of Baltimore society.
Bessie's father died when she was five months old and throughout her formative years, she and her mother had to rely on irregular handouts from a wealthy relative.

Bessie discarded her first name - because "so many cows are called Bessie" - and learned how to flirt. But she was still shut out of the world she regarded as her birthright.

Soon after the humiliation of "coming out" without the usual debutante's celebration ball, she grasped the first means of escape from Baltimore by becoming engaged.

House party
But her marriage to her first husband, Navy pilot Earl Winfield Spencer, was apparently a disaster from the start.

He turned out to be a moody alcoholic so Wallis left him, and after a passionate but short-lived affair with an Argentine diplomat, became a single woman again.

Divorced, Wallis began an affair with a married man, Ernest Simpson, a British-American businessman. They wed in 1928.

"I really feel so tired of fighting the world all alone and with no money," she wrote to her mother.
Settled into English society, she met Edward, Prince of Wales, at a house party given by his mistress, Lady Thelma Furness, at Melton Mowbray in Leicestershire.

He was charming, the most eligible bachelor in the world; she was married, at 35 no longer in the first flush of youth and no beauty. But she was seductive.

By 1934, the prince was a frequent visitor to the Simpsons' home, and it has been said their relationship was consummated that year.

Wallis told her aunt: "It requires great tact to manage both men. I shall try to keep them both."

'Contempt and bullying'
By January, 1936, though, the prince had become King and his love for Wallis an obsession. The Simpson marriage cracked under the strain and Wallis sought a divorce.
Despite his several mistresses, Edward has been characterised as Mrs Simpson's lapdog.

There must have been some sort of sadomasochistic relationship," says Philip Ziegler, Edward VIII's official biographer. "He relished the contempt and bullying she bestowed on him."

He eventually abdicated on 11 December, 1936.

But a document which stayed in the private papers of the then prime minister, Stanley Baldwin, for 13 years before even Buckingham Palace became aware of it, raises doubts about whether Wallis Simpson was the schemer of popular perception.

The paper, only released in 2000, is a declaration, signed by Mrs Simpson in the final days before the abdication, that "she has abandoned any interest in marrying His Majesty".

She found Edward's dependence upon her burdensome and claustrophobic, writing to her uncle: "How can a woman be a whole empire to a man?"

Investigation Other revelations long after her death in 1986 were to prove more damaging to her reputation.

Frozen out by the British royals, the duke and duchess's alleged pro-German sympathies became the subject of an FBI investigation in 1941.

The FBI was told that during the German invasion of France the previous year, the duchess was said to have passed information to the Nazis' foreign minister, Joachim von Ribbentrop.

Officers were told that von Ribbentrop had been the duchess's lover when he was ambassador to Britain in 1936, sending her 17 carnations every day to remind her of the number of times they had slept together.

And, 13 years after Edward had given up his throne to marry her, the duchess reportedly embarked on an affair with Jimmy Donahue, a playboy grandson of the stores mogul, FW Woolworth.

She was 54, he was 34, homosexual, outrageous and promiscuous.
The duke, meanwhile, fully aware of the relationship, trailed behind them for most of the four-year affair.
But, it seems, neither the duke nor the duchess found a fulfilling role from the day he gave up the Crown. As the duchess once said: "You can't abdicate and eat it."

That was interesting! And Wallis must've had that 'Sunshine' :look:

:lol: Maybe. I definitely think some women know how to "keep" a man. I mean, this man totally altered his course and the course of his descendants for a woman he loved. This says a lot to me about what a man will do when he loves a woman. When I read the responses about male gold diggers, I was hurt that so many women were put in some of the positions they were in. And sadly, sometimes the same guy that makes one woman pay for dinner will be taking some other woman on a trip!

^That does not sound like love.

I think money and glamour romanticizes alot of this story, but if these had been common people, somebody woulda had a restraining order.

How interesting that you posted this today because last night I watched part of the special on the royal family and I actually thought about her.

How interesting that you posted this today because last night I watched part of the special on the royal family and I actually thought about her.

That's what made me post this. I thought of her and the male gold digger thread I had started and I just wanted to reinforce to women what men will do for love (give up something or make sacrifices)!:yep:

'Contempt and bullying'
By January, 1936, though, the prince had become King and his love for Wallis an obsession. The Simpson marriage cracked under the strain and Wallis sought a divorce.
Despite his several mistresses, Edward has been characterised as Mrs Simpson's lapdog.

There must have been some sort of sadomasochistic relationship," says Philip Ziegler, Edward VIII's official biographer. "He relished the contempt and bullying she bestowed on him."

Sounds like "Why Men Love B*tches" old school style. :grin: Yeah, Wallis and Carole Guthrie are interesting women to read about. Modern day women who married well who are interesting include Marie Chantal Miller (Princess Pavlos of Greece) and Mary Donaldson (Crown Princess Mary of Denmark). :yep:

Last edited:
^That does not sound like love.

I think money and glamour romanticizes alot of this story, but if these had been common people, somebody woulda had a restraining order.

i agree. it sounds like a dangerous kind of obsession. i don't think she loved him, it was moreso that she liked the power. when you consider the times these people were living in, it must have been a hell of kick to be a woman having control over a man and the king at that. they are both unsavoury characters. i guess i can reluctantly accept that he may have loved her but his feelings for her were unhealthy.

Sounds like "Why Men Love B*tches" old school style. :grin: Yeah, Wallis and Carole Guthrie are interesting women to read about. Modern day women who married well who are interesting include Marie Chantal Miller (Princess Pvolos of Greece) and Mary Donaldson (Crown Princess Mary of Denmark). :yep:

I agree with you:)

She was the ultimate gold digger. :yep:

I do have a grudging admiration for her because even though she was not even considered beautiful, that didn't stop her from going after what she wanted. She paid a lot of attention to clothing. I think she said something like "I am not beautiful, but I will be the best dressed." Indeed, she had an awesome wardrobe. Some of the pieces she wore are classics that one could wear even today.

She was totally amoral. She had no qualms about dating married men, even while she was married herself. I am not convinced at all that she loved the King. I don't think she was able to love anyone but herself.

I do have a grudging admiration for her because even though she was not even considered beautiful, that didn't stop her from going after what she wanted. She paid a lot of attention to clothing. I think she said something like "I am not beautiful, but I will be the best dressed." Indeed, she had an awesome wardrobe. Some of the pieces she wore are classics that one could wear even today.

She was totally amoral. She had no qualms about dating married men, even while she was married herself. I am not convinced at all that she loved the King. I don't think she was able to love anyone but herself.

I agree with your whole post, especially the bolded. But sadly, she still got exactly what she wanted (even though she was trifling). I think more of us should think we are at least worth being treated well (we don't have to be trifling either)!

Sounds sorta like Charles, Diana and Camille. People can call Camille a horse, dog or whatever but the woman whipped something on Charles that was intoxicating. I really want to know her secret.

Wallis whipped something on a lot of folks.

Last edited:

Reminds me of something the great couture accumulator Nan Kempner said. :yep:

I love Wallis' wedding outfit and I agree that it could be worn today. :yep:

Sounds sorta like Charles, Diana and Camille. People can call Camille a horse, dog or whatever but the woman whipped something on Charles that was intoxicating. I really want to know her secret.

Wallis whipped something on a lot of folks.

Camilla is also a titled aristocrat now and the future Queen consort. She got what she wanted in the end. Even though I think she's a trifling something, she obviously loves Charles. :ohwell:

If y'all haven't seen The Other Boleyn Girl, check it out. Old girl also whipped something on Henry VIII that caused him to severe ties with Rome, which had the world under it's religious thumb. He risked a lot for her. She lost her head :look: but her daughter Elizabeth I came to rule the throne.

3x married?
Affairs with a king and a homosexual?
I bet ole Bessie could suck the chrome off a ball hitch. :drunk:

They sho like them some ugly women in that family :look:
They tend to conduct affairs with some horse face killahs.
Look at the snout on Wallis.

I Read the wiki page on Bessie Wallis...
What's the diff between a mistress and a consort? Which is more respectible?
Divorced folk weren't allowed in court, but whores and gold-diggers ran
up,
thru,
betwixt,
between, and
amongst
the royalty.
:rolleyes: OK.

Back