Wedding Planners...

itsjusthair88

Chronically at BSL -_-
How did you guys decide to get one? Was it essential to you? How did you find him or her?

Let me add, I'm a wedding planner and I've recently gotten an influx of business (thank GOD) and I have some undecided brides, so I wanted to hear some responses on people who decided to get a wedding planner, or interviewed some and decided against it, etc.

Thanks ladies, I can always count on you for the truth!:grin:

How did you guys decide to get one? I needed one because I was doing a destination wedding.

Was it essential to you? Yes

How did you find him or her? I found mine online and when I contacted her and talked to her I felt a sense of calm. She was awesome! And I felt that by talking to her and once we met we really hit it off!

Sade thank you, can you tell me what attracted you to her? How did she stand out? These are things I ask my clients, it really makes a difference to hear it from a bride/potential bride...

I talked to a few planners but with her, I felt comfortable. She was responsive and excited about the ideas I had for my wedding. She wasn't treating me like I am just a new client. She listened and was impressed with my vision for my wedding. I had planners who tried to tell me that my vision is great but it could be better if I did xyz. Basically, those planners were used to doing weddings a certain way and weren't looking to do anything different. She wasn't cheap, actually she was comparable with some of the top planners in the bay area. I could have found someone cheaper but I knew she was the one for me and my DH loved her too.

Here are some blogs about my wedding

http://www.punambean.com/blog/?p=1350

http://greenweddingshoes.com/?p=16539

As you can see we did some unique things and without my planner I couldn't have pulled all this off.

So these are the things that attracted me to her and made her stand out. Hope this helps? I am considering going into wedding planning after doing my wedding so I understand your questions. I have a few clients lined up but I am doing the planning for free since these are friends. Hopefully this leads to paying clients.

Last edited:
Looks like we'll be competition...I'm in the Bay Area as well ;) and I totally understand where you are coming from and girl, get on your grind! Wedding/Event planning is just as big today as it was before any kind of recession and there are so many brides always looking for a friendly helping hand! I would recommend joining an women's entrepreneur group (luckily, there are a few good ones in the Bay) and getting to it, you can do it!!!

Oh and thanks for the input...I always love hearing it from a bride!

You are welcome. I actually live in the DC area. I got married in Wine Country and my planner serves the bay area and beyond.

How did you guys decide to get one? The majority of our guests are traveling into town we didnt want to ask them to pitch in and help in addition to traveling. We are also not "wedding" people and found planning frustrating.

Was it essential to you? Yes

How did you find him or her? Found her online listed as a vendor on wedding forum.

How did you guys decide to get one? At the insistence of my sister, I really didn't want to get one, but was convinced that it would make my life easier (it didn't).

Was it essential to you? - not really, but if she had been effective at her job, I might feel differently.

How did you find him or her? - a referral. Unfortunately it came through one of her fellow ABC members who had never worked with her but had heard good things about her. I know who I should have gone with (but was too expensive), but she seemed knowledgeable and pleasant and very cool, calm, and collected. On my wedding day she was a hot mess.

Let me add, I'm a wedding planner and I've recently gotten an influx of business (thank GOD) and I have some undecided brides, so I wanted to hear some responses on people who decided to get a wedding planner, or interviewed some and decided against it, etc.

Thanks ladies, I can always count on you for the truth!:grin:

As far as what I can tell you from a bride's perspective, I was looking for someone who cared about my vision (one wedding planner pushed aside what I had written down to show me her portfolio without looking at it--I knew from the start she was a "no.") and someone who was very organized and on top of things. My wedding planner was like this all the way up to the rehearsal, and then it all fell apart...so, primarily I think it's important to get as much detail from the bride as you can about what the day should entail, and let them know specifically, realistically, and honestly, what you can do (as well as what you can't).

After the verbal beatdown I gave my wedding planner, I'm sure she would rather that I passed on her (which I would have if she had been honest) instead of being an extremely unsatisfied customer.

I actually decided because I was working, doing an internship, and in graduate school. We planned on getting married during spring break.

One of my co-workers had planned weddings and events, so I chose her because we worked together so I know she is the real deal.

It made my life easier because I was just really really busy, and we have similar personalities so it was a great fit. For example, I ask a million questions and like to be in the loop. So I called her all the time, and she answered my questions patiently whenever I asked. She was not evasive, and saved me so much time. If I needed something done, it was done!

My wedding day was a breeze. No stress, no mess. Started ON TIME at my insistence. She came with a team of two other staff members and it just worked out WONDERFULLY! She understood my vision, kept me in budget, and was timely!

Hubby knew her but wasn't 100% convinced but as the weeks went by he saw how efficient she was so he was happy to write that check for her services.

What kind of prices are you paying for planners if you don't mind me asking?

I've just started planning and I'm totally green about this!

I talked to a few planners but with her, I felt comfortable. She was responsive and excited about the ideas I had for my wedding. She wasn't treating me like I am just a new client. She listened and was impressed with my vision for my wedding. I had planners who tried to tell me that my vision is great but it could be better if I did xyz. Basically, those planners were used to doing weddings a certain way and weren't looking to do anything different. She wasn't cheap, actually she was comparable with some of the top planners in the bay area. I could have found someone cheaper but I knew she was the one for me and my DH loved her too.

Here are some blogs about my wedding

http://www.punambean.com/blog/?p=1350

http://greenweddingshoes.com/?p=16539

As you can see we did some unique things and without my planner I couldn't have pulled all this off.

So these are the things that attracted me to her and made her stand out. Hope this helps? I am considering going into wedding planning after doing my wedding so I understand your questions. I have a few clients lined up but I am doing the planning for free since these are friends. Hopefully this leads to paying clients.

Your pictures are beautiful!!

Back