Way To Change Disgusting Scent Of A Hair Product?

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Hi, all!

I am pretty sure I have found the most amazing would-be holy grail product for my hair . . . except the scent DISGUSTS me and is ridiculously strong. It gave me a headache within 10-15 minutes.

This product astonished me, and I only applied it to one tiny little section of my hair once. It TRANSFORMED my hair into amazingness (witness agrees). I know I need to continue to trial it before making a final assessment, but I just can't bear to open the jar again.

If you can imagine, this product smells like the strongest smelling perm you can image, mingled with an over-the-top smell of pine trees . . . about 50/50 in contribution . . . with some original, unknowable TAINT added on top for extra measure. I can't.

Aside: YouTube reviewers don't seem to notice it. One even said she was complimented on her hair's smell after using it. I don't get it. I know I'm not the only one concerned about the smell, though (reviews at the site mention the smell). And husband smelled it and frowned up before he even made it fully up the stairs to the second floor where I was.

QUESTION:
Do you think I could add some kind of essential oil to it to change the smell without jacking it up? What would you suggest?

This smell doesn't seem able-to-be-covered-up. I washed my hair 3 times before the scent began to dissipate. I have texted the manufacturer to see if anything can be done (if special, unscented orders are available).

Thanks in advance for any suggestions! Blessings!

If you had to wash your hair 3 times to get rid of the stench then I doubt a little essential oil is going to fix it.
Ugh what a crappy situation to have found an awesome product only to have it stink...
I would try maybe cinnamon or peppermint oils. They have very strong scents. I also love orange and lemon oil.
Idk how much they'll help. And you don't want to smell of disguised stink lol where you smell a combination of fresh essential oil and an undercurrent of stank lol.

Smell is definitely a deal breaker for me. I remember Apohgee came out with some leave in for curly hair and it smelled like funky cheap perfume. I had to return it. Just can't be smelling like that.

I don't have any suggestions. What's the product?

The product is Especially Hair's Moisture Foundation. It's a versatile product that is a DC that can be a leave-in and wash-and-go styler. It is super expensive (too expensive), but based on what it did to my hair, I can't believe I'm saying this, but I would purchase it.

Here is a link to the product page: http://especiallyhair.com/collection/moisture-foundation/

Here is my thread about it: https://longhaircareforum.com/threads/brand-especially-hair-line.796545/

Here are a few YouTube demos and reviews:

NaturallyQuinn: She says it's her new favorite product.

ElleCKay

Tierra J Beauty: I agree with her review!

Simply Cin: She says, "It smells so, so goooood!" :eek: :confused: She does say that it's overwhelming.

Hmmm... maybe you got a spoiled product.... I would contact the company...

That crossed my mind! My product is a free sample. They don't even have samples yet: I only received the sample because I wrote them and said their product was overpriced! LOL! They replied with "samples are forthcoming, but we'll send you a free one in the meanwhile."

That crossed my mind! My product is a free sample. They don't even have samples yet: I only received the sample because I wrote them and said their product was overpriced! LOL! They replied with "samples are forthcoming, but we'll send you a free one in the meanwhile."
LMAO maybe you pissed them off and they played you sending you stinky product on purpose.

$32 for 8.5 oz no ma'am o_O

I know! That's why I sent my initial message to them: "Your product is too expensive."

Their reply: It is your DC, leave-in, and wash-and-go styler. You will by one product instead of three. I didn't care: $32 for 8.5 ounces is a no.

Then I put it on my hair. When Jadore Joelle here says it changed her life and is holy grail and is expensive but she'll get, I can sadly kind of see it. My hair didn't even LOOK like my hair with that product on it. I didn't even recognize it.

Maybe it's good my sample stinks. LOL!

Glycerin – Water (Aqua) – Butylene Glycol – Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil – Persea Gratissima (Avocado) Seed Oil – Acetic Acid (Organic Apple Cider Vinegar) – Argania Spinosa (Argan) Kernel Oil – Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Milk – Cetearyl Alcohol (and) Behentrimonium Chloride – Cetearyl Alcohol (and) Dicetyl Phosphate (and) Ceteth-10 Phosphate – Ricinus Communis (Castor) Seed Oil – Fragrance – Dimethicone – Linum Usitatissimum (Linseed) Oil – Panthenol (Pro-Vitamin B5) – Quaternium-91 (and) Cetrimonium Methosulfate (and) Cetearyl Alcohol – Isopropyl Mystate – Camellia Sinensis (Green Tea) Leaf Extract – Carrageenan – Hydroxyethylcellulose – Chamomilla Recutita (Chamomile) Flower Extract – Verbascum Thapsus (Mullein) Leaf Extract – Salvia Officinalis (Sage) Leaf Extract – Aloe Barbadensis (Aloe) Leaf Juice – Phenoxyethanol.

I wonder what the mullein leaf ingredient smells like? I'm not familiar with it. Someone should swing by a health food/herb store and report back if it smells pine-y and/or offensive.

They have fragrance listed half way through the ingredients. Either they forgot to add it in your batch, or the fragrance sucks. Shouldn't the fragrance be towards the end?

@YvetteWithJoy, do they do special requests? If so, ask if they can make yours w/o the fragrance.

Also, you can copy and paste the ingredients in Google to see if you can find a less expensive dupe or similar product.

I'm sorry that the performance was so good, but it stinks! I have a sensitive nose and I don't do stank-i-licious :nono:

I think the lid on that jar has something to do with the pricing. Have you checked their FB or IG to see if they ever have discounts and/or sales? If so, how good is the discount? You could stock up during the sales, if they offer them.

ETA: Inbox someone that has reviewed it and ask them what it smells like. Don't tell them yours stinks. Then you can decide if you got a bad batch.

Last edited:
That really does suck. I feel this way about coconut oil.....it makes me nauseous. I can only bear to pre poo with it cuz it gets washed out lol. I can't with funky products.

You can buy scented oils that are really concentrated but I don't know how much they would cover something that funky. It may mix together and make something worse :lachen:

Youtuber's are forever saying something smells divine and it doesn't to me.

That really does suck. I feel this way about coconut oil.....it makes me nauseous. I can only bear to pre poo with it cuz it gets washed out lol. I can't with funky products.

You can buy scented oils that are really concentrated but I don't know how much they would cover something that funky. It may mix together and make something worse :lachen:

Youtuber's are forever saying something smells divine and it doesn't to me.

Coconut oil is so beneficial but that sour vomity odor that it turns into in the hair is just a no :nono:

Glycerin – Water (Aqua) – Butylene Glycol – Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil – Persea Gratissima (Avocado) Seed Oil – Acetic Acid (Organic Apple Cider Vinegar) – Argania Spinosa (Argan) Kernel Oil – Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Milk – Cetearyl Alcohol (and) Behentrimonium Chloride – Cetearyl Alcohol (and) Dicetyl Phosphate (and) Ceteth-10 Phosphate – Ricinus Communis (Castor) Seed Oil – Fragrance – Dimethicone – Linum Usitatissimum (Linseed) Oil – Panthenol (Pro-Vitamin B5) – Quaternium-91 (and) Cetrimonium Methosulfate (and) Cetearyl Alcohol – Isopropyl Mystate – Camellia Sinensis (Green Tea) Leaf Extract – Carrageenan – Hydroxyethylcellulose – Chamomilla Recutita (Chamomile) Flower Extract – Verbascum Thapsus (Mullein) Leaf Extract – Salvia Officinalis (Sage) Leaf Extract – Aloe Barbadensis (Aloe) Leaf Juice – Phenoxyethanol.

I wonder what the mullein leaf ingredient smells like? I'm not familiar with it. Someone should swing by a health food/herb store and report back if it smells pine-y and/or offensive.

They have fragrance listed half way through the ingredients. Either they forgot to add it in your batch, or the fragrance sucks. Shouldn't the fragrance be towards the end?

@YvetteWithJoy, do they do special requests? If so, ask if they can make yours w/o the fragrance.

Also, you can copy and paste the ingredients in Google to see if you can find a less expensive dupe or similar product.

I'm sorry that the performance was so good, but it stinks! I have a sensitive nose and I don't do stank-i-licious :nono:

I think the lid on that jar has something to do with the pricing. Have you checked their FB or IG to see if they ever have discounts and/or sales? If so, how good is the discount? You could stock up during the sales, if they offer them.

ETA: Inbox someone that has reviewed it and ask them what it smells like. Don't tell them yours stinks. Then you can decide if you got a bad batch.

Organic ACV is very very stinky imo. I know Bragg's smells like rotten pee.
It's good stuff but even with the benfits I'm too afraid to use it. The smell doesn't wash off so easily.

Coconut oil is so beneficial but that sour vomity odor that it turns into in the hair is just a no :nono:
Yes and it gets on clothing too. I just can't go around smelling like that. I always wince when people say they use it on their body. Maybe it doesn't smell as bad on the body? I know the smell doesn't mix well with my hair. I think when I finish with my jar I might start pre pooing with evoo cuz the smell of co makes me angry.

Yes and it gets on clothing too. I just can't go around smelling like that. I always wince when people say they use it on their body. Maybe it doesn't smell as bad on the body? I know the smell doesn't mix well with my hair. I think when I finish with my jar I might start pre pooing with evoo cuz the smell of co makes me angry.

LOL and tea tree oil too. It's good stuff but how anyone can walk around with that smell is beyond me.
I would think once CO "turns" it will get that rancid smell on skin too.

:sneakyhug:

Yes!

You and I think alike! :laugh:

Before your post I had already:
1. Asked the manufacturers if I could make a special order.
2. Messaged one of the YouTubers to ask about what product she knows of that performs similarly.
3. Googled the first major ingredients!

And thank you for the encouragement about purchasing during sales if they have them. I totally forgot about that, and that helps TREMENDOUSLY.

When I had googled the ingredients, I got REALLY excited because a site came up in my search that was NOT the product's site. Turns out, it was a blog post where a lady takes your favorite product's ingredient list and gives you a recipe to duplicate it (as close as she can). At first I was like :sad: (THIS isn't an alternative product) and then I was like :clap: (she might provide me with a recipe!!!).

But the post was old and she's not taking requests anymore.

I think I'm going to ask @Miss Kane about this product. Maybe she can educate me.

THANK YOU, @MileHighDiva. Your post helps and encourages and I will try your advice that I've yet tried! Many thanks!

Thank you, everyone! (@ShredsofDignity, @stephanie75miller, @pelohello, @Nightingale, and @Pokahontas)

I really appreciate your taking the time to post.

I had the thought: ARGAN OIL is high on the list: That stuff is INCREDIBLY, INCREDIBLY, INCREDIBLY EXPENSIVE. Most products claiming to have any only have a drop. I wonder if that's why it's so expensive? It still may be overpriced factoring that in.

Anhwhoooo :smile: . . . My natural hair journey has been really challenging and stressful, and every week I wish I could relax my hair. But I can't do chemicals long term: They destroy my scalp. So when I put this product -- Especially Hair Moisture Foundation -- on my hair and my hair was elongated, shiny, and manageable, and just NICE . . . I had Jadore Joelle's reaction: This is life-changing! :laugh:

I'm going to ask the owner of PerfectBlends for guidance on how to find a similar product or make it myself. I'll try to remember to update this thread if I'm successful.

Thanks again, all, for responding. You guys are kind and incredibly supportive! Much, much love. :love2:

Last edited:
Good luck @YvetteWithJoy Hope you find an equally awesome product that smells great.

Do you think they'd send you another sample just to see if you maybe had a bad batch?

Thanks, lady! :smile:

I hope they do, but I didn't want to push it. They already sent me a free sample when the samples aren't available to the public yet and cost.

I did mention that my sample might have gone bad, so they might opt to send me another sample without my request. They are really nice. It's black-owned.

Back