*Warning* Ladies...PLEASE wash your hands before you touch your hair!!!

Crystalicequeen123

Omg...I know I may seem kind of erratic right now, but you'll never guess what a friend of mine told me!

You see, I have this friend of mine who is well....how shall I say....pretty messy. I mean, when you see her in person you would never know she was messy since her hair is always clean, her clothes are clean, and she smells and looks nice. Well....looks can be decieving however because for as long as I can remember she has always been a pack-rat. Even when she was living with her mom her room was always junky and just filled with books, magazines, clothes everywhere, you name it. If she knew I was coming over of course she would try to clean everything up. But overall, her room and living area was always pretty junked up.

Well...anyway, she moved to an apartment about a couple of years ago, and just last night she finally told me that she called me up (after a long time not hearing from her) and told me that she has been dealing with MOLD in her house!!! :eek: :eek: She said that she would keep stuff like clothes in her closet and and some in boxes from her move and that unbeknownst to her, mold started growing in her closet and bathroom to the point where she had to throw away just about ALL of her CLOTHES! :eek: :eek:

Needless to say, I was totally horrified! So, I did some research online about mold in the home and I read that mold can grow just about anywhere, but it usually likes damp, dark, and dirty areas. And the number one place where mold likes to form is in the bathroom!!! :eek:

I know that most of us ladies wash and do our hair usually in the bathroom, and even wash our hair during our showers, and so when I read this stuff about mold I was going crazy!!!! You know that the spores floating in the air from mold can cause you to get really sick and have respiratory problems, skin rashes, and fungus. If you say by accident touch a mold infected area, and then touch your scalp, you could grow fungus in your scalp. :nono: The scary part is that mold can grow anywhere! This mold happend about a month ago, and my friend said she's STILL dealing with it and throwing stuff out. :nono:

I don't want to take any chances so I will be cleaning and disinfecting my whole house (especially the bathrooms) this week and weekend. I cannot afford to have my hair progress stunted because of bacteria that likes to grow on wet damp things. :(

I know one thing, I will wash my hands before I decide to inadvertently put my hands in my hair, because even though YOU may be clean, people and public places around you may NOT be.

**I will post more information and links below as to where I got this information on mold.

Its ok Crystal. Your friend probably never used a cleaning product the extent of her time in the apartment. Even a half-a$$ job with some dollar store bleach will prevent the situation you described.

As promised, here are some links online to where I found some information on mold:

Excerpts:

ABOUT MOLD
What are Molds?

Molds are simple, microscopic organisms, present virtually everywhere, indoors and outdoors. Molds, along with mushrooms and yeasts, are fungi and are needed to break down dead material and recycle nutrients in the environment. For molds to grow and reproduce, they need only a food source – any organic material, such as leaves, wood, paper, or dirt— and moisture. Because molds grow by digesting the organic material, they gradually destroy whatever they grow on. Sometimes, new molds grow on old mold colonies. Mold growth on surfaces can often be seen in the form of discoloration, frequently green, gray, brown, or black but also white and other colors. Molds release countless tiny, lightweight spores, which travel through the air.

Can mold become a problem in my home?

Molds will grow and multiply whenever conditions are right—sufficient moisture is available and organic material is present. Be on the lookout in your home for common sources of indoor moisture that may lead to mold problems:

• Flooding

• Leaky roofs

• Sprinkler spray hitting the house

• Plumbing leaks

• Overflow from sinks or sewers

• Damp basement or crawl space

• Steam from shower or cooking

• Humidifiers

• Wet clothes drying indoors or clothes dryers exhausting indoors

Warping floors and discoloration of walls and ceilings can be indications of moisture problems. Condensation on windows or walls is also an important indication, but it can sometimes be caused by an indoor combustion problem! Have fuel-burning appliances routinely inspected by your local utility or a professional heating contractor.

What symptoms are commonly seen with mold exposure?

Molds produce health effects through inflammation, allergy, or infection. Allergic reactions (often referred to as hay fever) are most common following mold exposure. Typical symptoms that mold-exposed persons report (alone or in combination) include:

• Respiratory problems, such as wheezing, difficulty breathing, and shortness of breath

• Nasal and sinus congestion

• Eye irritation (burning, watery, or reddened eyes)

• Dry, hacking cough

• Nose or throat irritation

• Skin rashes or irritation

Headaches, memory problems, mood swings, nosebleeds, body aches and pains, and fevers are occasionally reported in mold cases, but their cause is not understood.

Taken from: http://www.cal-iaq.org/mold0107.htm

Other links:

* http://www.epa.gov/iaq/molds/moldguide.html
* http://www.cmhc-schl.gc.ca/en/burema/gesein/abhose/abhose_ce08.cfm

Molds growing in showers can look black or grayish according to some of these websites. I'm not too sure if mold can grow on hair specifically (I'll have to do more research), but I don't think I'd go to bed with wet hair, or brush my hair with a wet brush...eeeek! I just don't know.... :nono: I'm scared now. :( I know one thing, if a fungus (like athelete's foot--which is caused by mold btw) comes in contact to your scalp, it could probably cause some scalp problems. :(

Just warning trying to warn us all...

There are scientist doing research on the link between mold (microtoxins produced by them) and diseases (such as cancer & respiratory illness). Clorax and water will wipeout early mold developement. Sometimes though it is unseen like behind walls. I have heard health nuts talking about mold being on certain foods like corn,popcorn, grains (bread) and they dont eat those kinds of foods.

i don't think that mold can grow on your skin nor scalp because of our warm body temperature. but who knows for sure.... :look:

I'm pretty sure that the types of fungi people get are different than the mold growing in homes. That being said, it's always a good idea to wash your hands frequently anyway. Althlete's foot, dandruff and ringworm are all caused by fungus. However, you CAN get scalp and or skin fungus froom contact with infected people (like using someone's hairbrush...yuck).

Natrl: You would think so, huh? But have you ever seen the polls that they do every once in awhile about people who didn't wash their hands after using the bathroom? :huh:
Of course, in those polls, there are always more men that admitted to it than women.

aileendq said:
I'm pretty sure that the types of fungi people get are different than the mold growing in homes. That being said, it's always a good idea to wash your hands frequently anyway. Althlete's foot, dandruff and ringworm are all caused by fungus. However, you CAN get scalp and or skin fungus froom contact with infected people (like using someone's hairbrush...yuck).
What they (scientist,researchers) are thinking is the mold growing in homes is deadly! And causes long term "mystery" illnesses and "sick building" syndrome. Basically causing major and minor diseases through touching, eating and inhalation. But like I said they are still researching so....eat healthy so your body can fight microorganisms, keep your immune system high.

aileendq said:

Well, I dunno, but I know I'm sensitive to mould (mold). When I was in the UK, that's when I discovered the havoc that candida albicans can cause in our bodies. For those who don't know, C.A. is a fungus that lives in our digestive tract usually dormant. But if anything disturbs the harmony in your tract, then yeast infection, digestive problems...just about any fungal related condition you can think of (Some may not even seem related to fungus but are - hence probably the research being done on cancer, etc) can result. Anyway, while C.A. was wrecking havoc on my insides, I noticed that if I was ever in a humid place where mould was growing (like an apartment I moved into...and the wet weather didn't help much), then a rash that I was treating would get worse. In other words, the presence of mold/mildew or dampness (can mold be airborne?) would make me break out or get worse, even if I didn't actually touch it.

So I wouldn't be too quick to dismiss the fact that mold that grows on surfaces might have an effect on human bodies. Oh and fungus thrives in warm places better than in cold places. Anyone who's had yeast infection can confirm this. So the human body temperature isn't a deterrent.

Last edited:
I also wanted to add that years ago people didnt believe bacteria caused disease and they didnt believe that it existed, until Pasteur showed them under the microscope. It began as a school of thought and was proven just like they are trying to prove fungi causes more diseases than previously thought. Just my 2 cents.

Nonie,
I wasn't dismissing the fact that mold can cause damage to the human body. In fact, I'm allergic to it, too. BUT that doesn't mean you can "catch" mold that grows, for example, in people's homes, ie. have it start growing on your skin or scalp, which was what the initial e-mail implied. Mold can be very toxic when it is inhaled or ingested, but it doesn't make itself at home on or in us and start to grow. Certain typs of fungus do, but not the kind you find growing in people's homes.
While true that there are certain types of fungi that are in beneficial, and some that are not (thrush, for example), the kinds of fungi growing in people's home, do not "infest" us. Others do, of course. Your example of yeast infections is a good one, but that's a fungus that is always present on our skin and inside the vagina and the balance goes awry because the vagina becomes less acidic. This is why doctors tell you to eat yogurt, which contains acidophilus (a bacteria) that balances the yeast. I would never suggest that mold isn't dangerous (hence your illness and my migrains and breathing difficulties when exposed to it).

Last edited:
Maybe I'm misunderstanding this article, but it sounds to me like mold that grows in houses can grow in and on humans too; at least seemed to affect me that way. (It's hard to tell whether it was the original cause of my rash or just aggravated the condition, but I do know that, while I might have just been in the recovery stage of my rash, my skin would break out if I stayed anywhere damp and moldy.)

Health Effects and Symptoms Associated with Mold Exposure
There are four kinds of health problems that come from exposure to mold:

rombul1a.gif
Allergic reactions
rombul1a.gif
Irritation of tissues
rombul1a.gif
Infections
rombul1a.gif
Toxic effects due to mycotoxins

Mold can trigger an allergic reaction and asthma in sensitized individuals (repeated exposure to mold or mold spores sometimes causes previously non-sensitive individuals to become sensitized). About 15 million Americans are allergic to mold. The most common reactions are flu-like symptoms and asthma. Those with chronic lung or immune problems, are at risk for more serious reactions like fever, lung infections and a pneumonia-like illness.

Some toxic molds such as Aspergillus, Cladosporium, Penicillium, Stachybotrys,and Trichodermaproduce mycotoxins capable of causing severe health problems.

When mold grows indoors in moist organic materials, building occupants may begin to notice odors and suffer a variety of health problems associated with mold exposure.

AllergiesInhaling or touching mold or mold spores can cause allergic reactions in sensitive individuals. Allergic reactions to mold are common — these reactions can be immediate or delayed up to six hours. Allergic reactions include:

rombul1a.gif
Respiratory problems, such as cough, sneezing, wheezing, infection, and/or difficulty in breathing
rombul1a.gif
Hay fever-type symptoms
rombul1a.gif
Nose and throat irritation
rombul1a.gif
Nasal or sinus congestion
rombul1a.gif
Watery, reddened, or burning eyes
rombul1a.gif
Sensitivity to light
rombul1a.gif
Red eyes
rombul1a.gif
Runny nose
rombul1a.gif
Sneezing
rombul1a.gif
Dermatitis ( skin rash or irritation)
rombul1a.gif
Headache
rombul1a.gif
Fatigue

Asthma
Molds can trigger asthma attacks in persons who are allergic (sensitized) to molds.

Irritant Effects
Even in non-allergic (non-sensitized) people, mold exposure can cause irritation of the eyes, skin, nose, throat, and lungs of both mold-allergic and nonallergic people.

Opportunistic Infections
People with weak immune systems (i.e., immune-compromised or immune-suppressed individuals) are more vulnerable to infections by molds (as well as more vulnerable than healthy persons to mold toxins). Aspergillus fumigatus, for example, has been known to cause aspergillosis in the lungs of immune-compromised individuals. These individuals inhale the mold spores which then start growing in their lungs. Trichoderma has also been known to infect immune-compromised children.

Healthy individuals are usually not vulnerable to opportunistic infections from airborne mold exposure. However, molds can cause common skin diseases, such as athlete's foot, as well as other infections such as yeast infections.

Hypersensitivity Pneumonitis
Hypersensitivity pneumonitis may develop following either short-term (acute) or long-term (chronic) exposure to molds. The disease resembles bacterial pneumonia and is uncommon.

Source: Mold and Mildew (http://healthandenergy.com/mold.htm)

Last edited:
Stachybotrys is the kind of mold that causes homes to have to be destroyed, along with most of the contents of the home.
My son and I will be growing some mold this weekend :)

:look:

shouldn't the title of this post be keep your house clean? lol. if you keep it clean you shouldn't have to worry about it.

Yea.... ummm..... buy your friend some clorox cleaner and tell her to keep everything dry... No wet towels on the floor, bathing suits, etc. Mold and fungus is very much possible on the human body. Athlete's foot is a fungus and so is yeast. Mold is common. Most homes have mold but if you are clean it wont get to THAT extent. Some molds ar eVERY dangerous, most are not. Lesson:dont be a slob and you wont have to throw your clothes (maybe your home) away.

foxybrownsugar said:
I cant believe someone gave this informative thread a one star. If its not helping you its helping someone else. :evil:

I was thinking the exact same thing. :ohwell: There really are some great articles/info in this thread.

I wasn't trying to scare/offend anybody. Honest. :nono: I was just trying to give out some (hopeufully) useful and helpful information to everyone because what my friend told me was really scary. I didn't know mold could ever get that bad. :(

I'm sure most of us are clean, and keep our homes clean, but sometimes there is bacteria we just can't see or may overlook even in our own homes. And even though we may keep clean, that doesn't mean our outside surroundings are clean all the time.

When my sister was young she was going to this hair dresser (family friend :rolleyes: ) who was doing her hair, and soon developed a scalp fungus in her scalp! She got medication for it by doctors who examined her, but it got so bad she had to wear caps in school and everything. We had to disinfect everything.

I'm not saying this will happen to everybody, but it's just some caution especially since we value our hair and scalps.

Since my sister's experience and what my friend has now told me I am taking greater caution with what salons I frequent and how clean they are, and I decided not to take any chances and I cleaned and disinfected my bathrooms today.

Crystalicequeen123 said:
I wasn't trying to scare/offend anybody. Honest. :nono: I was just trying to give out some (hopeufully) useful and helpful information to everyone because what my friend told me was really scary. I didn't know mold could ever get that bad. :(

I'm sure most of us are clean, and keep our homes clean, but sometimes there is bacteria we just can't see or may overlook even in our own homes. And even though we may keep clean, that doesn't mean our outside surroundings are clean all the time.

When my sister was young she was going to this hair dresser (family friend :rolleyes: ) who was doing her hair, and soon developed a scalp fungus in her scalp! She got medication for it by doctors who examined her, but it got so bad she had to wear caps in school and everything. We had to disinfect everything.

I'm not saying this will happen to everybody, but it's just some caution especially since we value our hair and scalps.

Since my sister's experience and what my friend has now told me I am taking greater caution with what salons I frequent and how clean they are, and I decided not to take any chances and I cleaned and disinfected my bathrooms today.
Cleanliness is always best.

But please remember, fungus is everywhere. You can be clean and still get it. My doctor gave me the example of her going to gyms all her life and never getting athlete's foot and others aren't so fortunate. The percentages of adults (clean ones and dirty ones) getting some type of toenail fungus is really high. How many old people have you seen w/o disclored, thick toenails?--probably fungus. Yall have seen that commercial with the little fungus drillin' down in the toenail (its so groce) Like I said, its best to be clean but you can still get funguses. Keep your immune system working, be clean, and go to the doctor and get it handled if you get something.

My sons have dealt with the scalp issue and I was trying to clean more, blame the dirty neighbors, animals, anything, because I kept associating it with being dirty and since I know I'm not...
I was on the rampage and did a bunch of research. Funguses are contagious but its not always because you used so and so's comb or they had a cat, etc.

ftballwidow said:
Cleanliness is always best.

But please remember, fungus is everywhere. You can be clean and still get it. My doctor gave me the example of her going to gyms all her life and never getting athlete's foot and others aren't so fortunate. The percentages of adults (clean ones and dirty ones) getting some type of toenail fungus is really high. How many old people have you seen w/o disclored, thick toenails?--probably fungus. Yall have seen that commercial with the little fungus drillin' down in the toenail (its so groce) Like I said, its best to be clean but you can still get funguses. Keep your immune system working, be clean, and go to the doctor and get it handled if you get something.

My sons have dealt with the scalp issue and I was trying to clean more, blame the dirty neighbors, animals, anything, because I kept associating it with being dirty and since I know I'm not...
I was on the rampage and did a bunch of research. Funguses are contagious but its not always because you used so and so's comb or they had a cat, etc.

Yeah, the fact that it can happen to anyone (even if you're clean) is what scares me the most. I always say...it's better to be safe than sorry! And even if keeping extremely clean doesn't do the trick, then at least you know that you can rule out cleanliness as being a factor. :D

Odd thing...So after work yesterday and reading this post, I Mom, who told me that my brother discovered that the reason both his kids constantly have chest infections and asthma is that they have mold in the basement! It not an old house, but it's going to cost them THOUSANDS of dollars to get rid of it so that the babies aren't breathing it in! That's IF they can get rid of it.

Crystalicequeen123 said:
Yeah, the fact that it can happen to anyone (even if you're clean) is what scares me the most. I always say...it's better to be safe than sorry! And even if keeping extremely clean doesn't do the trick, then at least you know that you can rule out cleanliness as being a factor. :D
Exactly! Peace of mind is great when it comes to something like that. I was kind of mad that my boys dealt with it and I know some dirty folks who don't get these issues. Funny how things work. Actually they probably have issues I just don't know about. lol

Back