Vitamin Challenge 2013

checking in. I forgot to get the multi. I'm going for a physical today so I'll pick a bottle up while I'm out, I'm also looking for a daily vitamin/pill holder. I'll be out of town for a week and don't wanna bring 4 bottles w/ me. I also don't wanna look like a senior citizen, if that makes any sense (no intent to offend any seniors on the board).

Maca update: I have been taking 450 mcg (I think...its one capsule) of maca per day and on BC. I read about a lot of ppl who had good experiences taking both, so I decided to give it a day. I have low hormone BC and aunt flo doesn't visit every month. This month she came early (before I finished my active pills) and is accompanied by worse cramps and the flow is heavier and longer. Not what I expected...any feedback ladies?

SN: I'm going to stop the BC after next month anyway, but I thought it was good to share the experience.

Last edited:
@jprayze
I know some people have to take it before a certain time to avoid weird dreams. I've always had strange dreams so I can't comment on that. I've not had any side effects myself

I usually have no dreams that I remember, but I have dreams almost every night that are vivid while taking maca.

Maca update: I have been taking 450 mcg (I think...its one capsule) of maca per day and on BC. I read about a lot of ppl who had good experiences taking both, so I decided to give it a day. I have low hormone BC and aunt flo doesn't visit every month. This month she came early (before I finished my active pills) and is accompanied by worse cramps and the flow is heavier and longer. Not what I expected...any feedback ladies?

SN: I'm going to stop the BC after next month anyway, but I thought it was good to share the experience.

Thanks for sharing. Sorry you're going through that, worse cramps... :nono: not what I expected to hear. I have a few questions:
A) How long were you taking maca?
B) How long have you been taking the BC? Any adverse symptoms (before maca)?
* I talked to my obgyn last week and she said that taking both are fine and since maca increases fertility, BC is strongly suggested unless I wanna start buying diapers.

Thanks for sharing. Sorry you're going through that, worse cramps... :nono: not what I expected to hear. I have a few questions:
A) How long were you taking maca?
B) How long have you been taking the BC? Any adverse symptoms (before maca)?
* I talked to my obgyn last week and she said that taking both are fine and since maca increases fertility, BC is strongly suggested unless I wanna start buying diapers.

A month of Maca. Been taking microgestin (generic orthotricyclen) for about 8 months. My periods have been light, last 4 days and cramps were nothing major. After first 2 months, missed 2 periods, had 1 and then skipped 2 and then had this bad one. Doc said the skipping is an added benefit of the bc. Maybe my body is getting used to the maca? Maybe I need to take more? The suggested dose in my bottle is 3 a day but I usually only take 1.

I've been taking Maca and BC for 4 months now. I only take 1 per day and I see results. My flow is heavier when I take the Maca which is normal for what the Maca is made to do (balance the hormones). I also get the extra energy and more curves. I never had cramp issues. So that's odd to hear. With the maca I barely have any cramps and then my Aunt Flo would come visit without any knocking at the door (minimum cramps). Maybe try 1-2 pills a day to see if its better.

SN: I thought I was the only one that called her "Aunt Flo" lol :lol:

I've been taking Maca and BC for 4 months now. I only take 1 per day and I see results. My flow is heavier when I take the Maca which is normal for what the Maca is made to do (balance the hormones). I also get the extra energy and more curves. I never had cramp issues. So that's odd to hear. With the maca I barely have any cramps and then my Aunt Flo would come visit without any knocking at the door (minimum cramps). Maybe try 1-2 pills a day to see if its better.

SN: I thought I was the only one that called her "Aunt Flo" lol :lol:[/QUO

Oops, double post

Last edited:

I meant to add that im on bc (Depo-Provera) plus maca, and I've had good results. Thanks for factoring in the BC! Aunt Flow only visits me every 3-6 months on Depo only (before maca), so basically I'd only get a period right before another injection was due...the progestin would wear off in my body, and as soon as I got another shot, the period would stop. Not to mention, it was very light and short, no cramps. But it will be interesting to see what changes occur due to maca plus bc.

Eta: I used to have horrible, body wracking cramps in high school plus long, heavy periods. I got on bc pills because I couldnt get out of bed the cramps hurt so bad. Now, after 2 kids, 2 unplanned c-sections, and bc pills then Depo, my cramps are FINALLY nonexistent. I got on bc pillsin the first place to gain weight and stop/lessen the cramps. Maybe maca can help my sil who has bad periods.

Last edited:

Hoping this next month will be better!

ladieluv2010

Ive taken msm consistently for nearly 10 yrs, but have never known it to cause depression nor worsen an already present depressed state. Have never heard of that happening. About maca causing vivid dreams...I usually take my maca first thing in the AM so I get my energy boost for the day.

But last night I took it before bed, and it took me over an hr to fall asleep, and I had 3 bad dreams, very vivid, when I usually dont dream or cant remember them, despite being on msm too. So for me the maca does cause nightmares! Will be taking in the AM only, and if I miss it I will skip it for the day altogether. Them dreams made me wake up afraid they were true. :nono:

I do take my msm before bed so as not to dilute it so much during the day, since I drink a LOT of water. No probs from msm before bed. I take my silica (bamboo, horsetail) in the AM, my fish oil and cod liver oil before bed, and the rest of my vits I just spread out betweem AM, noon, and HS (hour of sleep, or bedtime medical abbreviation).

Last edited:

Thank you for sharing this because I take low hormone BC too & its know to either lessen the days that Aunt flo visits or elimates her visits altogether but it varies for different people. Personally, I rarely ever have a visit from Aunt flo. Maybe a drop twice a year if that but I wanted to check out maca root too! I just don't want it make me start to have my monthly visits though when I haven't been getting any.

Last edited:
Thank you for sharing this because I take low hormone BC too & its know to either lessen the days that Aunt flo visits or elimates her visits altogether but it varies for different people. Personally, I rarely ever have a visit from Aunt flo. Maybe a drop twice a year if that but I wanted to check out maca root too! I just don't want it make me start to have my monthly visits though when I haven't been getting any.

I will keep you posted, hopefully it levels off with continued use???

Checking in for the past two days

ETA: That was the end of my 30 day supply of Hairfinity. Tomorrow I will open another bottle. 1 down, 5 to go.

Last edited:
Back