Victoria's Secret So Sexy Conditioner contains quaternary ammonium

naturalmanenyc

I saw these today (didn't buy them) and I can't recall if it was the balancing condish or the nourishing condish....but one of them definitely has quaternary ammonium which is used in deep, penetrating conditioners.

Anyone using VS So Sexy as a deep conditioner? If so, which one has the quaternary ammonium?

Thanks!

6/30/08 I hear they are having the sale again 3/$21....................anyone know which is the deep condish?

Last edited:
I went to the site and all i saw was the balancing conditioner and shampoo. Now i'm wondering about this nourishing one.

I went to the site and all i saw was the balancing conditioner and shampoo. Now i'm wondering about this nourishing one.

They had 3 when I was last at VS, Volumizing, Balancing & Nourishing. I am guessing the nourishing is the DEEP conditioner? I plan to go by VS today and will check. I may even buy the poo/condish/smoothing balm:grin:

http://healthytextures.typepad.com/m...ou_h.html#more

Beginning your Hair Journey V - Conditioners 101

Conditioning is extremely important for highly textured hair. Conditioning helps prevent damage from heat styling tools and replaces moisture and vital proteins into the hair shaft. It is particularly important for those with damaged or chemically treated hair. While you can not repair damaged hair, you can restore luster, shine and strength while the damaged hair grows long enough to be replaced.

How Conditioners Work

Our hair is comprised of three layers: the medulla, the cortex and the cuticle. The medulla is the innermost layer of the hair shaft and is merely a hollow canal of protein. All of the other layers are formed around the medulla. The cortex is the second layer. The color forming pigments that determine your hair color as well as the bonds that determine the shape of your hair are located in this layer. The cuticle, or outermost layer, shields the cortex by forming a protective barrier of overlapping scales, sort of like shingles on a house. When the cuticles lay flat, they reflect light and make the hair appear shiny and healthy. Conditioners try to artificially re-create the appearance of healthy hair by using special chemical agents to penetrate the cortex and seal the cuticle.

Instant Conditioners

There are three main conditioners; instant, deep penetrating and leave-in. Instant Conditioners are applied to the hair and then rinsed out after a few minutes. They attempt to smooth the cuticles and coat the hair shaft to make the hair look shiny and healthy. They work by coating the cuticle with a microfilm coating, usually a wax, that fills in or lays down the cuticle to make it shine and/or easier to detangle.

However, artificially laying down the cuticle will only provide a temporary fix. If you really want results, you need to deep condition with a penetrating conditioner. Deep conditioners use natural body heat or artificial heat from a hood dryer to lift the cuticle and penetrate the cortex.

Deep Penetrating Conditioners

There are two main types of deep or penetrating conditioners; moisture and protein.

Protein based conditioners are designed to increase the diameter of the hair with a coating action. This will strengthen the hair and add body.
Hair that is severely damaged will need a concentrated protein conditioner. These conditioners are designed to pass through the cuticle, penetrate the cortex and replace keratin lost during chemical services. They are designed to equalize porosity, increase elasticity and improve overall appearance. Because the hair is filled with new keratin, it will feel hard after use and should be followed with a moisturizing conditioner to soften and lubricate the hair shaft. Concentrated protein are NOT recommended for use after a chemical treatment like a relaxer, color or perm. These conditioners will disrupt the desired rearrangement of protein bonds formed by these chemical services.

In addition, to protein based conditioners, there are moisturizing deep penetrating conditioners. These conditioners contain humectants that attract moisture and are absorbed into the hair cortex. The difference between instant and deep moisturizing conditioner is that deep treatments contain a quaternary ammonium component included in the chemical formulation of moisturizers so they are able to attach themselves to the hair fiber and provide longer lasting moisture.

Which Conditioner to Use

An excellent deep conditioning treatment will be a little bit of both. High quality deep conditioners usually contain a concentrated protein in a heavy cream based moisturizer. This will provide deposit moisture and strength into the hair shaft. When used consistently, this deep conditioning treatment will reduce cuticle roughness, strengthen the strands and make the hair more manageable and shiny. This is why it is important to deep condition once a week every week.

As a general rule of thumb, deep penetrating conditioners will instruct you (on the back of the bottle) to leave the product on for 10-20 minutes.

Leave-In Conditioners

Leave-in conditioners are designed to protect the hair from styling and day to day handling. Leave-in conditioners work by placing a positive buildup on the hair shaft which will add elasticity and act as a band-aid on damaged parts of the hair strands.

What's quaternary ammonium? I would google it, but I'm too lazy :giggle:

Anywho, So Sexy (I've only tried the Nourishing) is the BOMB!!!! I made a looong thread about it a few months back :lick:

At vs now, its the balancing conditioner that has deep conditioning properties....quaternary ammonium.

The 3 for $21 sale is thru Monday. I got minis 2 for $3, balancing condish, nourishing poo and condish and high gloss style cream.

They have no balancing poo at the Atlantic Mall VS. I went through every single bin of the 2 ounce bottles and found only nourising poo, condish & a few of the balancing condish. The smoothing balm is not in trial size (or it's all gone) and it has mineral oil. They have 2 ounce hair spray (alcohol in it) and 2 ounce mousse plus the 2 ounce styling cream (only a couple left).

That 3/ $21 is a special that I believe is always on at VS. When I worked there last summer that has the deal all the time, there was no expiration.

http://healthytextures.typepad.com/m...ou_h.html#more

Beginning your Hair Journey V - Conditioners 101

Conditioning is extremely important for highly textured hair. Conditioning helps prevent damage from heat styling tools and replaces moisture and vital proteins into the hair shaft. It is particularly important for those with damaged or chemically treated hair. While you can not repair damaged hair, you can restore luster, shine and strength while the damaged hair grows long enough to be replaced.

How Conditioners Work

Our hair is comprised of three layers: the medulla, the cortex and the cuticle. The medulla is the innermost layer of the hair shaft and is merely a hollow canal of protein. All of the other layers are formed around the medulla. The cortex is the second layer. The color forming pigments that determine your hair color as well as the bonds that determine the shape of your hair are located in this layer. The cuticle, or outermost layer, shields the cortex by forming a protective barrier of overlapping scales, sort of like shingles on a house. When the cuticles lay flat, they reflect light and make the hair appear shiny and healthy. Conditioners try to artificially re-create the appearance of healthy hair by using special chemical agents to penetrate the cortex and seal the cuticle.

Instant Conditioners

There are three main conditioners; instant, deep penetrating and leave-in. Instant Conditioners are applied to the hair and then rinsed out after a few minutes. They attempt to smooth the cuticles and coat the hair shaft to make the hair look shiny and healthy. They work by coating the cuticle with a microfilm coating, usually a wax, that fills in or lays down the cuticle to make it shine and/or easier to detangle.

However, artificially laying down the cuticle will only provide a temporary fix. If you really want results, you need to deep condition with a penetrating conditioner. Deep conditioners use natural body heat or artificial heat from a hood dryer to lift the cuticle and penetrate the cortex.

Deep Penetrating Conditioners

There are two main types of deep or penetrating conditioners; moisture and protein.

Protein based conditioners are designed to increase the diameter of the hair with a coating action. This will strengthen the hair and add body.
Hair that is severely damaged will need a concentrated protein conditioner. These conditioners are designed to pass through the cuticle, penetrate the cortex and replace keratin lost during chemical services. They are designed to equalize porosity, increase elasticity and improve overall appearance. Because the hair is filled with new keratin, it will feel hard after use and should be followed with a moisturizing conditioner to soften and lubricate the hair shaft. Concentrated protein are NOT recommended for use after a chemical treatment like a relaxer, color or perm. These conditioners will disrupt the desired rearrangement of protein bonds formed by these chemical services.

In addition, to protein based conditioners, there are moisturizing deep penetrating conditioners. These conditioners contain humectants that attract moisture and are absorbed into the hair cortex. The difference between instant and deep moisturizing conditioner is that deep treatments contain a quaternary ammonium component included in the chemical formulation of moisturizers so they are able to attach themselves to the hair fiber and provide longer lasting moisture.

Which Conditioner to Use

An excellent deep conditioning treatment will be a little bit of both. High quality deep conditioners usually contain a concentrated protein in a heavy cream based moisturizer. This will provide deposit moisture and strength into the hair shaft. When used consistently, this deep conditioning treatment will reduce cuticle roughness, strengthen the strands and make the hair more manageable and shiny. This is why it is important to deep condition once a week every week.

As a general rule of thumb, deep penetrating conditioners will instruct you (on the back of the bottle) to leave the product on for 10-20 minutes.

Leave-In Conditioners

Leave-in conditioners are designed to protect the hair from styling and day to day handling. Leave-in conditioners work by placing a positive buildup on the hair shaft which will add elasticity and act as a band-aid on damaged parts of the hair strands.

That was really good to know

I tried the Balancing condish this morning (after nourishing poo).....it did nothing for my hair. No slip. So I rinsed and used the nourishing condish which gave more slip.

Not in love with either of them, yet, but boy are they thick!!:grin: And my hair smells amazing!

They have no balancing poo at the Atlantic Mall VS. I went through every single bin of the 2 ounce bottles and found only nourising poo, condish & a few of the balancing condish. The smoothing balm is not in trial size (or it's all gone) and it has mineral oil. They have 2 ounce hair spray (alcohol in it) and 2 ounce mousse plus the 2 ounce styling cream (only a couple left).
That's weird. Here in chicago they had no balancing conditioner, lol. So i bought the balancing shampoo, nourishing poo and conditioner. I asked the girl if they carried the balancing conditioner and see said maybe not because it would have been next to it.:perplexed But there was no voluminizing conditioner next to the voluminizing poos either. Later i looked in the bins and saw one voluminizing conditioner (trial size). But no balancing conditioner.

I tried the Balancing condish this morning (after nourishing poo).....it did nothing for my hair. No slip. So I rinsed and used the nourishing condish which gave more slip.

Not in love with either of them, yet, but boy are they thick!!:grin: And my hair smells amazing!
Well atleast your hair smells amazing.:lick: Does it feel moisturized? Now i kinda wish i would have bought the trial sizes, i think they were 2/$3. Oh well, i'll probably use them next wash on monday. Thanks for the thread, i been wanting to try 'em for the longest.

Well atleast your hair smells amazing.:lick: Does it feel moisturized? Now i kinda wish i would have bought the trial sizes, i think they were 2/$3. Oh well, i'll probably use them next wash on monday. Thanks for the thread, i been wanting to try 'em for the longest.

My hair feels moisturized but I did add S-curl and aloe vera gel on top of the so sexy styling cream.

I just ordered some off of Amazon :yep:

i did a review in my blog today of the balancing one. ick. its really thick but the moisture just isnt there. perhaps i will get the nourishing one and give it a go. this smell is outrageous though...goodness.

Because of this thread I went and bought the travel size this weekend. There was a sale 2 for $3. This product does have a strong smell to it. I don't particularly like the smell but my little boy toy loves the smell. I do like the way my hair feels afterward so I will have to make SoSexy nourishing products one of my staple products. Thanks ladies!

Because of this thread I went and bought the travel size this weekend. There was a sale 2 for $3. This product does have a strong smell to it. I don't particularly like the smell but my little boy toy loves the smell. I do like the way my hair feels afterward so I will have to make SoSexy nourishing products one of my staple products. Thanks ladies!
hehe@ boytoy

Mine is coming any day, wont even use them but for those 'moments'

Did you know quaternary ammonium and quaternium-18 are basically the same thing? I don't feel like getting technical and explaining the science, but I googled it. I'm struggling in chem right now, :lol: but they're basically the same thing.

I also wanted to thank OP. I used a conditioner whose second ingredient was quaternium-18 and boy did it ever moisturize my hair! I'm still in shock. This is the softest and most detangled it has been in awhile. I wouldn't have even looked for this ingredient if it were not for this thread! :grin:

Did you know quaternary ammonium and quaternium-18 are basically the same thing? I don't feel like getting technical and explaining the science, but I googled it. I'm struggling in chem right now, :lol: but they're basically the same thing.

I also wanted to thank OP. I used a conditioner whose second ingredient was quaternium-18 and boy did it ever moisturize my hair! I'm still in shock. This is the softest and most detangled it has been in awhile. I wouldn't have even looked for this ingredient if it were not for this thread! :grin:

Well dont leave us hangin......what conditioner was it?

here's a small list of more quaternary ammonium compounds that can be found in conditioners. there are more but i see these often.

centrimonium
centrimonium chloride
centrimonium bromide
didecydimethylammonium chloride
quateranium 15
stearalkonium chloride

I wanted to try VS products because of what I have read about the smell. Good to know that this 1 is also good for the hair.

[COLOR="Plum"]Well, it was an emergency, so I just grabbed any conditioner that looked moisturizing from my bathroom cabinet. At that time, I only had conditioners for color treated hair. I used the random conditioner I found, even though my hair isn't color treated. I doesn't really matter...correct me if I'm wrong. I used Tressemme Color Thrive with Fade Block Technology. I added olive oil to the DC while it was on my hair and sat under the dryer for fifteen minutes. Afterwards....my hair was soft and detangled. I've put Olive Oil in my DC before, but my hair had never felt like this. I was happy. :grin:

Ingredients: water, quaternium-18, Stearamidopropyl dimethylamine, pathenol, aminopropyl dimethicone, dimethicone, disodium PEG-12 Dimethicone sulfosuccinate, and like ten other ingredients that I'm too tired to look up or type. :lol: Sorry...you get the picture![/COLOR]

Last edited:
here's a small list of more quaternary ammonium compounds that can be found in conditioners. there are more but i see these often.

centrimonium
centrimonium chloride
centrimonium bromide
didecydimethylammonium chloride
quateranium 15
stearalkonium chloride

Thank you! This is so helpful. I didn't know these ingredients were quaternary ammonium compounds. I'm improving my chemistry the lhcf way! :lachen:

Back