Surgers, seasoned and potential, please read

Oh yeah I remember this thread
laugh.gif
Some of the links are broken now. The most important one I think was the abstract from the article--right now it just takes you to the search page instead of to the abstract. For those who are seeing this for the first time, if you type in "cetrimonium chloride" in the search field you'll bring up that abstract
smile.gif

So what to do? Not use it or wash the hair everyday.
My girl has been complaining about her hair being stiff after woojee cream.
And which product in the line is causing the problems?

I guess the difference between Surge and conditioners that contain cetrimonium chloride is that you usually rinse out a conditioner. Even so, I use Surge on my hairline once a week after I wash my hair and have had no problems. I wonder if those that have had problems generally have sensitive skin.

Hello everyone (Newbie),

Not to scare anyone further especially with my 1st post
nono.gif
-but I really like products that are close to nature as possible (thank you for introducing me to Elucence by the way) so I check out www.ewg.org to get the scoop on the ingredients I cannot pronounce. Not meaning to scare anyone -just informing you. On this website you can search for specific products. Stay blessed!

Interesting...
Here's the abstract on "cetrimonium chloride":

FINAL REPORT ON THE SAFETY ASSESSMENT OF CETRIMONIUM CHLORIDE, CETRIMONIUM BROMIDE, AND STEARTRIMONIUM CHLORIDE

Abstract:
Cetrimonium Bromide, Cetrimonium Chloride, and Steartrimonium Chloride are quaternary ammonium salts used for a variety of purposes in cosmetics at concentrations of up to 10%. Cetrimonium Bromide given orally is poorly absorbed from the intestine and is excreted in feces. Cetrimonium Bromide applied dermally is absorbed into the skin, but not rapidly. Dermal irritation and sensitization and ocular irritation are seen with these quaternary ammonium salts. Cetrimonium Bromide was embryotoxic and teratogenic in mice following intraperitoneal injection of 35 mg/kg; only teratogenic effects were observed with 10 mg/kg. Embryotoxic effects consistent with maternal toxicity were seen in a rat-feeding study using 50 mg/kg/day. Dermal exposure to 2% Cetrimonium Chloride produced no evidence of teratogenicity; nor did 2.5% Steartrimonium Chloride. All mutagenesis assays used were negative. Repeated insult patch tests of concentrations of up to 0.25% Cetrimonium Chloride produced no sensitization reactions, although irritation was observed during induction. Based on the available data Cetrimonium Bromide, Cetrimonium Chloride, and Steartrimonium Chloride are considered safe for use in rinse-off cosmetic products but are safe only at concentrations of up to 0.25% in leave-on products.

(I guess the bottom line is that it's best if you rinse your hair daily, while using Surge)

Last edited:
Back