Very Weird Split Ends-HELP!

God_Favor

I have found a lot of weird splits in my hair. I have had 3 trims in the last 2 months and they keep coming back!!! No matter how much I cute I get theses REALLY weird splits up the hair shift. The hairs are split in as many as 5 areas up the shift. I added pics (very blurry) to give an idea!

Help!!!!!!!!!!

Has anyone experienced this? What can I do? Of course, I'm experiencing breakage, no matter how mush I moisturize or how many protein treatments I do.....................................

Attachments

• splits.jpg
    splits.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 170
  • split2.jpg
    split2.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 194
Whoa. That's major.

I'd check your combs and brushes - are they all seam-free? That's the first thing I would look at with that many splits - they can't ALL be from older ends....

Most plastic combs and brushes are formed via a mold - half & half. Where the mold meets, a little 'seam' of plastic forms. That seam can be like a tiny razorblade, scraping bits of cuticle off every time you run in through your hair.

Using seam-free products almost completely eliminates that source of mechanical stress....which is why a lot of people like the shower combs (usually seam-free), bone combs (always seam free), the Denman, and boar bristle brushes...

I'm sorry that's happening to you, I was having the same issue. I think mine was due to having several different stylists relax my hair over time, no one knew what the last one did...anyway also that type of split can come from blowdrying. Basically, if the water inside your hair shaft is heated too much it literally boil within the shaft and cause it to burst.

Sally's/BSS's - you just have to look for the ones that say 'seam-free'....

Oh, yeah, I didn't think of that - blowdrying/flatironing damp hair might do it too - good point!

I'm sorry that's happening to you, I was having the same issue. I think mine was due to having several different stylists relax my hair over time, no one knew what the last one did...anyway also that type of split can come from blowdrying. Basically, if the water inside your hair shaft is heated too much it literally boil within the shaft and cause it to burst.

Thanks, I'm really at wits end w/ this issue.

I know, they are everywhere!

protective styles-buns, twist, baggy w/ fake bun

I never blowdry--I air dry and flatiron- when I wear it straight
Do you brush your hair a lot? I believe excessive brushing could also make splits. I wish you the best of luck in finding a remedy [[[HUGS]]]

Do you brush your hair a lot? I believe excessive brushing could also make splits. I wish you the best of luck in finding a remedy [[[HUGS]]]

No, not a lot--I brush when I slicking back into a bun..........Thanks for the encouragement, it means a lot!

that's some high resolution camera you have there.

but:nono: woah, i've never seen anything like it.
i think you might need a major hair overhaul with this one.

that's some high resolution camera you have there.

but:nono: woah, i've never seen anything like it.
i think you might need a major hair overhaul with this one.

no, it's a camera phone--

me, either!

ITA, i'm going to start from over and go back to relaxed hair-- I thought when cut my hair and went natural, all my worries were over---

i just needs some advice on how to NOT let this happen again.

Thanks!

I had to come back and ask this: What part of the hair was that? Was that from the root? I'm thinking to ask Sistaslick, Sonce, Nonie, Sereca, Gymfreak, I can't think of anyone else at the moment, but there's a lot of women on here that seriously know about hair, scientifically. They seem to be VERY knowledgeable about hair. Maybe you should shoot one or all of them a PM asking for help, they're nice ladies and I bet they would help you.

no, it's a camera phone--

me, either!

ITA, i'm going to start from over and go back to relaxed hair-- I thought when cut my hair and went natural, all my worries were over---

i just needs some advice on how to NOT let this happen again.

Thanks!

Yeah I'm natural also and I hardly straigthen

I had to come back and ask this: What part of the hair was that? Was that from the root? I'm thinking to ask Sistaslick, Sonce, Nonie, Sereca, Gymfreak, I can't think of anyone else at the moment, but there's a lot of women on here that seriously know about hair, scientifically. They seem to be VERY knowledgeable about hair. Maybe you should shoot one or all of them a PM asking for help, they're nice ladies and I bet they would help you.

Thanks so much, it not from the root, just broken hairs-- I will contact them.. After I start fresh, I would hate to get the same issue again.

Are you sure your hair is 100% dry before you use the flat iron?

What heat protectant are you using before using the flat iron?

How high is your flat iron? Is it smooth, or does it have the tendency to snag/catch as you travel down the hair line?

Are you using one clean pass through your hair without stopping/pausing? Especially important for ceramic technology.

Are you using oil/moistuizer in your hair and then re-using a flat iron in between washes?

Do you have any hair color, including henna?

When you air dry, sometimes difficult to smooth the cuticle. A hot iron over a rough cuticle can create splits. Also, I know many including me that have accidentally thought a section of hair was dry when it really was not...created fraying splits. Also, heat over oil is bad news..fraying splits. And I am not talking about serums used as a heat protectant. Even so, once my hair is straight, I learned to not use an iron again until the next time...because I was using oil/moisture between.

I got that but i was doing alot
No trim for over a year
Not enough deepconditoning and protein treatments
Not moisturizing ends enough (1-2x a week)
Overproccessed
Brushing
Blowdring
No heat protection
Using hot water
Rough drying shampoos
Combing while wet.

I still get splits, i believe its due to my very dry fragile hair type, but i've stopped basically all of these things, heat automatically gives me splits it seems (if i do it consitantly)

Woah...that is major. I have no advice here, just to clip those suckers when you see them. I get long branchy ones occassionally...don't know what causes them either. :ohwell: Good luck!!

What heat protectant are you using before using the flat iron?

How high is your flat iron? Is it smooth, or does it have the tendency to snag/catch as you travel down the hair line?

Are you using one clean pass through your hair without stopping/pausing? Especially important for ceramic technology.

Are you using oil/moistuizer in your hair and then re-using a flat iron in between washes?

Do you have any hair color, including henna?

When you air dry, sometimes difficult to smooth the cuticle. A hot iron over a rough cuticle can create splits. Also, I know many including me that have accidentally thought a section of hair was dry when it really was not...created fraying splits. Also, heat over oil is bad news..fraying splits. And I am not talking about serums used as a heat protectant. Even so, once my hair is straight, I learned to not use an iron again until the next time...because I was using oil/moisture between.

Sometimes my hair is a little damp b4 I flat iron

What heat protectant are you using before using the flat iron? I use SAA mixed with dimethcone (sp)

I use it on 7 (higest 10). I do hit quit a few snag along the way because my hair is natural and I air dry. I run the iron through maybe 3 times.
Are you using oil/moistuizer in your hair and then re-using a flat iron in between washes? When I wear my hair straight, I usually wear it like this for 1 week and I do moisturizer w/ BB hair lotion at night b4 I wrap. I next day I do touch up w/ the iron

Do you have any hair color, including henna? I use a semi-permenat color along w/ clourshowers in clear

What you are saying makes a lot of sense!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!-because my cuticle is rough when I flat iron-I though skipping the blowdrying would work better-I also use high heat when I flat iron because I wear my hair natural 90% of the time and I was thinking high heat would not damage my hair

Last edited:
One thing that I've learned here is also trimming with GOOD hair shears that are only used on hair. Otherwise, the shears could be causing splits.

I got that but i was doing alot
No trim for over a year
Not enough deepconditoning and protein treatments
Not moisturizing ends enough (1-2x a week)
Overproccessed
Brushing
Blowdring
No heat protection
Using hot water
Rough drying shampoos
Combing while wet.

I still get splits, i believe its due to my very dry fragile hair type, but i've stopped basically all of these things, heat automatically gives me splits it seems (if i do it consitantly)

I use hot water- maybe that's adding to my issue

Are you sure your hair is 100% dry before you use the flat iron? Sometimes my hair is a little damp b4 I flat iron

What heat protectant are you using before using the flat iron? I use SAA mixed with dimethcone (sp)

How high is your flat iron? Is it smooth, or does it have the tendency to snag/catch as you travel down the hair line? I use it on 7 (higest 10). I do hit quit a few snag along the way because my hair is natural and I air dry. I run the iron through maybe 3 times.
Are you using oil/moistuizer in your hair and then re-using a flat iron in between washes? When I wear my hair straight, I usually wear it like this for 1 week and I do moisturizer w/ BB hair lotion at night b4 I wrap. I next day I do touch up w/ the iron

Do you have any hair color, including henna? I use a semi-permenat color along w/ clourshowers in clear

What you are saying makes a lot of sense!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!-because my cuticle is rough when I flat iron-I though skipping the blowdrying would work better-I also use high heat when I flat iron because I wear my hair natural 90% of the time and I was thinking high heat would not damage my hair

Even a warm blow dryer helps to smooth the hair a bit. Either way, make sure your hair is dry even if you air dry before flat ironing. It should not be damp...those splits happened in a section of my hair when I did not realize it was actually damp. Also, try to use conditioners, leave-ins that help to smooth the cuticle before using the flat iron.

Even a warm blow dryer helps to smooth the hair a bit. Either way, make sure your hair is dry even if you air dry before flat ironing. It should not be damp...those splits happened in a section of my hair when I did not realize it was actually damp. Also, try to use conditioners, leave-ins that help to smooth the cuticle before using the flat iron.

thanks !!!!!!!!!!!! any recommendations on co or li that help smooth the cuticle?

Back