Very Weird Split Ends-HELP!

No, once they're split, they're split and cannot be repaired or healed. It's almost impossible to see splits when the hair is in a curly state so I find it best to do so on straightened hair. Depending on how much length you feel comfortable trimming at a time, it could take a few trims over a few weeks or months to get all/most of your split ends.

THANKS!!!!

When I trim myself (last 2 trims) I put my hair in 6 puffs , I divided the puffs in 2 sections and take about an inch off of each section w/ reg scissors (are you confused??)

Oh, I didn't notice that you've been using regular scissors. :blush: You'll definitely benefit from a pair of proper hair cutting shears if you're going to do your own trims.

Oh, I didn't notice that you've been using regular scissors. :blush: You'll definitely benefit from a pair of proper hair cutting shears if you're going to do your own trims.
yes yes...using regular scissors can cause more splits....I learned this the HARD way

Wow, I had these weird splits which is why I cut 4 inches. It happened because I got my hair blowdried at a salon and she basically fried it. I still have splits but it isn't quite as bad.

I disagree with this...and believe split ends, while practically unavoidable for both relaxed and natural hair, are a result of hair care practices. I have seen frays and bursts on relaxed hair as well. Common to both were technique, high heat, rough or damp hair before using a flat iron.

Also, if you pull your hair back the hair can slip back and forth on the band and cause this type of fraying, like teasing (back combing) your hair.

I thought it didn't sound right either but after seeing OP's pics, it started to make me think. Also, I have natural sections (crown) and relaxed sections and my natural hair gets splits left and right while my relaxed section rarely gets splits. Also, I use professional sharp shears which cost over $200, comb with truely seamless combs and comb very gently, use heat protectants and do not flat iron on damp hair. However, my natural section is split-city. It could be that natural 4a/b hair is drier than most which is why a lot of the 4a/b's like myself are having this problem?? I always go through and cut splits at least once/week. I have to say though, after I started using Kerastase Ciment Thermique, the splits have cut down tremendously.

I'm not going to keep saying what everyone has already said. You know you need better scissors now and don't ever, ever, ever, cut your hair with reg scissors again hun, no matter how urgent you need to (((hugs))) If, I were you I would trim the damaged ends off and go into serious protective styling, deep conditioning every three days, sealing/bagging your ends. You'll get back what you trim off and then some in no time. TRUST! Keep us updated:yep:

Also, there's a chart floating around in some of the ladies fotki's, that shows the different variations of split ends. If someone can post it, it would be appreciated. I have it saved to my computer. I'll try to post it... Click on the pic to make it bigger...

Last edited:
I'm not going to keep saying what everyone has already said. You know you need better scissors now and don't ever, ever, ever, cut your hair with reg scissors again hun, no matter how urgent you need to (((hugs))) If, I were you I would trim the damaged ends off and go into serious protective styling, deep conditioning every three days, sealing/bagging your ends. You'll get back what you trim off and then some in no time. TRUST! Keep us updated:yep:

Also, there's a chart floating around in some of the ladies fotki's, that shows the different variations of split ends. If someone can post it, it would be appreciated. I have it saved to my computer. I'll try to post it...

http://img341.imageshack.us/my.php?image=splitendchartthel9.jpg

Thanks, I will invest in a good pair of shears ASAP. You would think I would have known better, huh??? I'm going to go back to bagging my ends for awhile. Also, I'm going to holding of on the relaxer until I try at least 2 months of full protective mode.

Thanks for the chart!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ladies you guys are awesome, yesterday I was ready to head to the nearest salon to get a really short cut and a relaxer---Although I still need a good cut, I'm getting some hope that I can have healthy natural hair.

Thanks, I will invest in a good pair of shears ASAP. You would think I would have known better, huh??? I'm going to go back to bagging my ends for awhile. Also, I'm going to holding of on the relaxer until I try at least 2 months of full protective mode.

Thanks for the chart!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ladies you guys are awesome, yesterday I was ready to head to the nearest salon to get a really short cut and a relaxer---Although I still need a good cut, I'm getting some hope that I can have healthy natural hair.

You're welcome and I'm glad you did not go and get a major cut. All you have to do is cut a little above the split and you'll be fine. You'll bounce back. :yep:

What are you going to use to put on your ends and seal with after you baggie? Black Castor Oil is the bomb and Profective Healthy ends is the bomb:yep:

ETA: If you need any one on one advice. Holla @ ya girl:yep:

Last edited:
I'm glad that you're feeling a little better about the situation. It's gonna be okay!! :yep: I would go get a light trim though just to get rid of those nasty ends because they will only get worse if you go too long without a trim being that they're already present. Also go get you a good, snag-free brush/comb, as well as some good hair shears (I got mine from CVS for like $7). Baby your ends for a while and you'll be just fine!!
Hugs! *smile*:bighug:

You're welcome and I'm glad you did not go and get a major cut. All you have to do is cut a little above the split and you'll be fine. You'll bounce back. :yep:

What are you going to use to put on your ends and seal with after you baggie? Black Castor Oil is the bomb and Profective Healthy ends is the bomb:yep:

ETA: If you need any one on one advice. Holla @ ya girl:yep:

I did not think about what to use to seal my ends. I have some profective healthy ends so I will use that. You making me want to try Black Castor Oil!! Maybe I should pick some up when I go get my shears!!!!!!!!

I'm glad that you're feeling a little better about the situation. It's gonna be okay!! :yep: I would go get a light trim though just to get rid of those nasty ends because they will only get worse if you go too long without a trim being that they're already present. Also go get you a good, snag-free brush/comb, as well as some good hair shears (I got mine from CVS for like $7). Baby your ends for a while and you'll be just fine!!
Hugs! *smile*:bighug:

Thanks. chica!!!!! You answered my next questions about where to get the shears. I just did a google search and the cheapest I found was $174! CVS here I come!!

I did not think about what to use to seal my ends. I have some profective healthy ends so I will use that. You making me want to try Black Castor Oil!! Maybe I should pick some up when I go get my shears!!!!!!!!

Yes, please try the BCO. It's soooo good. :yep:

Profective healthy ends is what you're going to moisturize your ends with. BCO is what you're going to seal your ends with. So, don't put too much Profective Healthy Ends just a little then seal with BCO then baggie:yep: I'm the baggie queen. Been doing it since I joined. I'm addicted:wallbash:

Last edited:
I'm sorry that's happening to you, I was having the same issue. I think mine was due to having several different stylists relax my hair over time, no one knew what the last one did...anyway also that type of split can come from blowdrying. Basically, if the water inside your hair shaft is heated too much it literally boil within the shaft and cause it to burst.
I've actually kinda thought about this before but never put two & two together I guess. thanks.

Back