Very Weird Split Ends-HELP!

thanks !!!!!!!!!!!! any recommendations on co or li that help smooth the cuticle?

Here is a short list that worked well for me. I am sure there are some more I have tried that also work, but I would have to be near my stash to list them all.

Silicon mix conditioner
Lacio Lacio leave in
Salerm 21
Chi infra treatment/silk infusion
Design essentials therapeutic leave-in
DE HCO or Compositions foaming wrap lotion.

oh and you may want to try roller setting before you use the flat iron.

Keep in mind these techniques/conditioners I listed are not curly girl friendly. So if you are not a fan of shampoo, it will be challenging. But since you like to straighten the end justify the means.

You also want to deep condition using a moisturizing conditioner.

oh and you may want to try roller setting before you use the flat iron.

Keep in mind these techniques/conditioners I listed are not curly girl friendly. So if you are not a fan of shampoo, it will be challenging. But since you like to straighten the end justify the means.

You also want to deep condition using a moisturizing conditioner.

Thanks! I'm going to go back to relaxed hair very soon, so these products may be my answer.

I may just do 1 last natural hair flat-iron and see how it turns out w/ a roller set. Thanks for ALL your help.

I get those sometimes, too and I'm a natural 4a/b. I think mine come from a combination or twists and dryness. I used to just airdry my hair, after deep conditioning and using a leave in, and leave it in a shrunken fro. It wasn't until I started doing twist all these split ends would pop up.

I get those sometimes, too and I'm a natural 4a/b. I think mine come from a combination or twists and dryness. I used to just airdry my hair, after deep conditioning and using a leave in, and leave it in a shrunken fro. It wasn't until I started doing twist all these split ends would pop up.

interesting, i do twist a lot. i've never thought of that. thanks!

these are the kinda splits i get (hair splits in 3/4 places with single strand knots at the top). my hair is natural. at first i thought i got them from steam room overuse so i stopped deepconditioning in steam rooms but i still have them :sad:. I am at a loss, i been natural for over 3yrs, hair is growing but i am constantly having to cut an inch cuz of these suckas and not retaining any growth :wallbash:

surprisingly I neva had splits when i was relaxed and abusing my hair, i am seriously considering texlaxing

these are the kinda splits i get (hair splits in 3/4 places with single strand knots at the top). my hair is natural. at first i thought i got them from steam room overuse so i stopped deepconditioning in steam rooms but i still have them :sad:. I am at a loss, i been natural for over 3yrs, hair is growing but i am constantly having to cut an inch cuz of these suckas and not retaining any growth :wallbash:

surprisingly I neva had splits when i was relaxed and abusing my hair, i am seriously considering texlaxing

I never remember having splits like these either when I was relaxed. I thought I would never go back to a relaxer but it seems being relaxed works best for me.

You are describing my hair! Hopefully things will get better for you!!

Also, what type of flatiron are you using?

I used to get really weird split ends like that too a while back. I would sit for up to an hour picking at them and cutting each one of them off. It was like I was determined to get rid of them all which was pretty impossible, lol. I ended up doing a BC and since then, I have been moisturizing my ends everyday and sealing with oil (no questions asked), only rinsing with lukewarm water, and doing a final rinse with apple cider vinegar to close the cuticle of my hair when I'm done washing or co-washing. I don't have those in my hair anymore (not saying I have absolutely no split ends, just not really any that I can see).

The reason why I ask what type of flatiron you use is because about 4 years ago, I invested in a tourmaline/ceramic flatiron that straightens without as much heat damage. So now, the infrequent times I do flatiron my hair, it doesn't snag and pull my hair or overheat, causing split ends.

It was pretty expensive (around $90) on folica.com, but it was sooooo worth it!!

(I'm relaxed by the way)

Interesting that you brought this up. I was just reading about this a couple of weeks ago. A hair stylist on a website said that naturals can not avoid these kinds of splits. Look at where your hair is splitting ... where it curls up. I apologize, but I don't remember where I was reading it. Everyone in this thread that has this problem has something in common ... they are natural. I guess what the stylist was saying is true. I will see if I can find where I read it.

Also, what type of flatiron are you using?

I used to get really weird split ends like that too a while back. I would sit for up to an hour picking at them and cutting each one of them off. It was like I was determined to get rid of them all which was pretty impossible, lol. I ended up doing a BC and since then, I have been moisturizing my ends everyday and sealing with oil (no questions asked), only rinsing with lukewarm water, and doing a final rinse with apple cider vinegar to close the cuticle of my hair when I'm done washing or co-washing. I don't have those in my hair anymore (not saying I have absolutely no split ends, just not really any that I can see).

The reason why I ask what type of flatiron you use is because about 4 years ago, I invested in a tourmaline/ceramic flatiron that straightens without as much heat damage. So now, the infrequent times I do flatiron my hair, it doesn't snag and pull my hair or overheat, causing split ends.

It was pretty expensive (around $90) on folica.com, but it was sooooo worth it!!

(I'm relaxed by the way)

Thanks for the info!! I have the maxi glide. I'm thinking I should use the smooth plates instead of the plate w/ the prongs.

i've had breakage like this b4:wallbash:. i dont think its uncommon but maybe the split ends are so far up that when you get a trim u still havent gotten all the splits. just a thought. i know when i sleep on cotton pillows or without a scarf are the only times i get them:nono:

Interesting that you brought this up. I was just reading about this a couple of weeks ago. A hair stylist on a website said that naturals can not avoid these kinds of splits. Look at where your hair is splitting ... where it curls up. I apologize, but I don't remember where I was reading it. Everyone in this thread that has this problem has something in common ... they are natural. I guess what the stylist was saying is true. I will see if I can find where I read it.

Really??? I that my splits were very uncommon. I'll try to do a search for this info. Thanks!

This isn't what I read before but it's a start. I'm still looking for the one that I read. This is from Ouidad's website:

Split Ends
Every mane curly, straight, short, long is susceptible to split ends. Strands become dry and "empty" from a variety of assaults, including the environment, frequent heat styling, and harsh cleansers. In this condition, the cuticle remains open and feathery. These tiny raised layers are actually split ends, also called flyaways. They are weightless and lift away from the cuticle creating that halo of frizz. Contrary to popular belief, split ends are found all over the hair and CANNOT be fixed with cutting. The best treatment for split ends is to feed your hair, just like your skin. A nourished hair shaft will have enough internal weight to keep the cuticle closed so that each curl is smooth. Clearly, trimming split ends is not an option— you might as well shave your head. Split ends can appear anywhere so frequent deep conditioning is the only way to prevent them.

I disagree with this...and believe split ends, while practically unavoidable for both relaxed and natural hair, are a result of hair care practices. I have seen frays and bursts on relaxed hair as well. Common to both were technique, high heat, rough or damp hair before using a flat iron.

Also, if you pull your hair back the hair can slip back and forth on the band and cause this type of fraying, like teasing (back combing) your hair.

This isn't what I read before but it's a start. I'm still looking for the one that I read. This is from Ouidad's website:

Split Ends
Every mane curly, straight, short, long is susceptible to split ends. Strands become dry and "empty" from a variety of assaults, including the environment, frequent heat styling, and harsh cleansers. In this condition, the cuticle remains open and feathery. These tiny raised layers are actually split ends, also called flyaways. They are weightless and lift away from the cuticle creating that halo of frizz. Contrary to popular belief, split ends are found all over the hair and CANNOT be fixed with cutting. The best treatment for split ends is to feed your hair, just like your skin. A nourished hair shaft will have enough internal weight to keep the cuticle closed so that each curl is smooth. Clearly, trimming split ends is not an option— you might as well shave your head. Split ends can appear anywhere so frequent deep conditioning is the only way to prevent them.

Very interesting, so i'm wasting my time cutting. I thought the exact opposite to be true. i'm thinking cutting was the only way to get rid of them. this is a whole new outlook.

GodFavor, what's your current regimen?

I CO wash 2-3 times per week

I deep condition once every 1-2 weeks

I use a spritz made of alma, SAA, and glycerin daily

I use BB growth moisturizer every other day

I rotate between twists, braid-outs, and buns

It's really simple

I CO wash 2-3 times per week

I deep condition once every 1-2 weeks

I use a spritz made of alma, SAA, and glycerin daily

I use BB growth moisturizer every other day

I rotate between twists, braid-outs, and buns

It's really simple

please don't get mad at me...........there's got to be a reason/solution to splits like these.

what type/brand conditioners are you using for your cowash and deep conditionings?

I had these kind of split ends, and I went back to relax because I was tired of it. I think I was getting these kind of split ends because I wasnt moisturizing my hair enough and didnt trim for like 1-2 years.

I BCed in Oct./07 and I am starting to get split ends again, not as bad as before. I try to keep my hair moisturized. I have thin-fine-fragile hair.

please don't get mad at me...........there's got to be a reason/solution to splits like these.

what type/brand conditioners are you using for your cowash and deep conditionings?

i could not be mad, i'm thankful you are taking the time to help!!

for CO i use vo5, suave, sunslik , and dove intense products

i use elasta qp intense, pantene pro-v mask, ORS mayo , mostly for DC

i could not be mad, i'm thankful you are taking the time to help!!

for CO i use vo5, suave, sunslik , and dove intense products

i use elasta qp intense, pantene pro-v mask, ORS mayo , mostly for DC

alright here's a longshot.

the sunsilk, dove intense, pantene and ors all contain either extra protein and/or silicone. do you think perhaps you may be having some product build-up? that can also keep your conditioners from penetrating the hair efficiently.

remember, i'm just guessing here. maybe you should try dropping the sunsilk, pantene and ors for the time being?

stick with your vo5 and suave for cowashing, they're fine but also look into using something a little different like an aubrey's conditioner (the aubrey's is a dual purpose conditioner and can be used for regular conditionings and deep conditioning), maybe also try a cholesterol (i like lustrasilk) for deep conditionings too. you may even want to try doing your deep conditionings with heat, if you can.

are you using a heat cap or bonnet dryer for your deep conditionings? sometimes it helps the conditioners penetrate a little better.

alright here's a longshot.

the sunsilk, dove intense, pantene and ors all contain either extra protein and/or silicone. do you think perhaps you may be having some product build-up? that can also keep your conditioners from penetrating the hair efficiently.

remember, i'm just guessing here. maybe you should try dropping the sunsilk, pantene and ors for the time being?

stick with your vo5 and suave for cowashing, they're fine but also look into using something a little different like an aubrey's conditioner (the aubrey's is a dual purpose conditioner and can be used for regular conditionings and deep conditioning), maybe also try a cholesterol (i like lustrasilk) for deep conditionings too. you may even want to try doing your deep conditionings with heat, if you can.

are you using a heat cap or bonnet dryer for your deep conditionings? sometimes it helps the conditioners penetrate a little better.

I'm taking notes, judging by your hair I can't lose. I have been very lazy and stop using heat for my DC. I get back to that ASAP! THANKS!!!!!

I'm taking notes, judging by your hair I can't lose. I have been very lazy and stop using heat for my DC. I get back to that ASAP! THANKS!!!!!

awwwwww girl yw........always. i just hope you can get to the bottom of this and get back on track (which i think you will!).

hang in there. hopefully you'll get a few more suggestions that can help.

:rosebud:

When I trim myself (last 2 trims) I put my hair in 6 puffs , I divided the puffs in 2 sections and take about an inch off of each section w/ reg scissors (are you confused??)

ewwwwwwww no you didn't?! sorry can't wait for our girl balisi to respond ;)

mandatory, like right now, yesterday even: take yourself out to walmart, walgreens, cvs, sally's, your local bss and get yourself a pair of scissors specifically made to cut your hair then hide them (your SO or hubby WILL use them to open packages, cut their nails, etc. with them if you don't).

you can pay alot or not - most are under $10.

regular scissors will tear up some hair ends with a quickness.

When I trim myself (last 2 trims) I put my hair in 6 puffs , I divided the puffs in 2 sections and take about an inch off of each section w/ reg scissors (are you confused??)

regular scissors? this may also be a problem. regular scissors are more blunt that ones designed specifically for hair cutting and can help cause split ends. i suggest you invest in a pair of quality hair shears

No, I understand. It's possible that the trimming method used does not adequately address split ends. If that's the case, you end up losing length without accomplishing anything.

No, I understand. It's possible that the trimming method used does not adequately address split ends. If that's the case, you end up losing length without accomplishing anything.

got it ! Do you think splits can be healed by dc or do you feels it's best to cut them?

got it ! Do you think splits can be healed by dc or do you feels it's best to cut them?

No, once they're split, they're split and cannot be repaired or healed. It's almost impossible to see splits when the hair is in a curly state so I find it best to do so on straightened hair. Depending on how much length you feel comfortable trimming at a time, it could take a few trims over a few weeks or months to get all/most of your split ends.

Back