Use Up Your Stash Challenge 2011

So there is no way that I can use up all the products I have. The PJ in me just brought way to many. :lol:

So since some have never been opened I plan on taking back a lot of them today. Glad I kept my receipts :yep:

Also my stylist recommends that I use the same products that she is using so my hair stays on a routine...so look out for a sale from me to get rid of some of my stash. :grin:

I will be back later tonight to update my list.

So there is no way that I can use up all the products I have. The PJ in me just brought way to many. :lol:

So since some have never been opened I plan on taking back a lot of them today. Glad I kept my receipts :yep:

Also my stylist recommends that I use the same products that she is using so my hair stays on a routine...so look out for a sale from me to get rid of some of my stash. :grin:

I will be back later tonight to update my list.

Sounds good. Selling them, taking them back, sounds good. That way you reduce your stash and make some money.

In the long run, I think what matters is that we reduce what we have and that we use what we have before we just keep buying more. That's what I am going for anyway. I think it is going to be a good feeling.

Color red indicate that its used all up....

Add me to this years SYS also.... I need to still finish up some of this stuff still

Shampoo
Crème of Nature Professional Detangling- Conditioning (Green-1/2 bottle Im guessing)
***I have been trying to stretch this out by using 1/3 of water, oil, and poo.
Suave Daily Clarifying Shampoo

Conditioner
Herbal Essences Long Term Relationship
ApHogee Keratin 2 Minute Reconstructor (2 bottles)
Giovanni Smooth as Silk Deeper Moisture Conditioner
Giovanni 50:50 Balanced Conditioner
ION Reconstructor Treatment
Aussie Moist Conditioner
LeKair Cholesterol Plus
Salon Care Honey and Almond Conditioner
Giovanni Smooth as Silk Protein Hair Infusion

Leave-In/Moisturizer
Generic Value Products The Conditioner- Leave In Conditioner (Paul Mitchell)
Mane ‘n Tail Detangler
ApHogee Keratin & Green Tea Restructurizer
Hawaiian Silky Miracle Worker 14 in 1
Herbal Essences Long Term Relationship Leave-In Split End Protector
Silk Elements Silken Child Moisturizing Crème
CHI Keratin Mist

Oil
African Royale Hot Six Oil
Safflower Oil
EVOO
Coconut Oil

Herbal & Ayurvedic Products
Amla Powder
Brahmi
Indigo

Other
CHI Silk Infusion
CHI 44 Iron Guard
KeraCare Foam Wrap Lotion
KeraCare Oil Sheen
French Stabilizer Plus
Ecostyler Clear Gel
Nexxus Emergencee

Color red indicate that its used all up....

Way to go. One down and I'm sure more on the wya.

I have the Paul Mitchell leave-in conditioner knock off too. How do you like it? Have you used the real Paul Mitchell - The conditioner? How do they compare?

I will have used it up by months end. And was wondering if I should try the real thing.

RULE CHANGE VOTE:

I have been thinking and looking at some of the other stash challenges, or no buy challenges and think I have missed something here - Staples.

It's possible a person could run out of several staples within the same month. And if it is a staple, I'm thinking it doesn't make sense to not buy them because of the challenge. I don't have staples yet but was thinking a rule modification would be in order.

The modification would be to add a staple section to your initial listing. And for each category you can list 1 staple: 1 shampoo, 1 conditioner, 1 leave in, etc. When that product ran out you could repurchase a qty of 1 of that staple without requiring a pass.

So if you ran out of your listed staple conditioner and leave in, then you could purchase 1 of each without needing a pass and you would still have your 1 pass for the month for ur stash buy.

You could move an item from your stash to your staple list if you found it was a staple after using it. The item has to be in 1 list or the other.

So I am asking for feedback: Should I incorporate this for the current session? If not I will add it for session II (Jul - Sep).

Please cast your vote by Saturday if you have an opinion.

@1stladyv,
@Aireen, @alive, @AlliCat, @A856, @Amazhaan,
@Beany, @B_Phlyy (voted), @che1219, @creolefox,
@JJamiah, @leiah (voted), nanCeBoTwin, @NikkiQ,
@ms_b_haven06, @ThickRoot (voted)

With 17 ladies on the board, 9 yays will add it to this session.

Thanks Ladies

Last edited:
Using up my products, the little that I have, is something I've been trying to do. I just used up my Lustrasilk Cholesterol Plus. I'm trying to use up my Aussie Moist Shampoo and Mane N Tail Shampoo so I can go back to the ElastaQP Creme Conditioning Shampoo. I'm trying to use up my Mane N Tail Conditioner, I don't really like it. And I'm trying to use up my S-Curl Activator Moisturizer since I'm not wearing my hair in a shrunken fro or in buns.

RULE CHANGE VOTE:

I have been thinking and looking at some of the other stash challenges, or no buy challenges and think I have missed something here - Staples.

It's possible a person could run out of several staples within the same month. And if it is a staple, I'm thinking it doesn't make sense to not buy them because of the challenge. I don't have staples yet but was thinking a rule modification would be in order.

The modification would be to add a staple section to your initial listing. And for each category you can list 1 staple: 1 shampoo, 1 conditioner, 1 leave in, etc. When that product ran out you could repurchase a qty of 1 of that staple without requiring a pass.

So if you ran out of your listed staple conditioner and leave in, then you could purchase 1 of each without needing a pass and you would still have your 1 pass for the month for ur stash buy.

You could move an item from your stash to your staple list if you found it was a staple after using it. The item has to be in 1 list or the other.

So I am asking for feedback: Should I incorporate this for the current session? If not I will add it for session II (Jul - Sep).

@Aireen, @alive, @AlliCat, @A856, @nanCeBoTwin, @Beany, @leiah, @B_Phlyy, @NikkiQ, @che1219, @ThickRoot, @creolefox, @ms_b_haven06, @1stladyv, @Amazhaan, @JJamiah

Thanks Ladies

I think its a good rule to add. But I think you should only replace the staples if there is absolutely nothing else in your stash that can do what you need done.

For example, I just ran out of my staple ApHogee protein conditioner. Now I could replace it right now, but I have a bottle of Nexxus KerapHix which I can use as my protein conditioner. So even though my staple is gone, I still have a product that can be used for the same purpose.

I think its a good rule to add. But I think you should only replace the staples if there is absolutely nothing else in your stash that can do what you need done.

For example, I just ran out of my staple ApHogee protein conditioner. Now I could replace it right now, but I have a bottle of Nexxus KerapHix which I can use as my protein conditioner. So even though my staple is gone, I still have a product that can be used for the same purpose.

That is a very good point. Perhaps this can be added to the topic as Highly Recommended or Strongly Encouraged?

Rule change!

I think its a great idea, I vote yes.

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Long Hair Care Forum App

I think the 1 product a month is enough to replace any staples. I would never get through all my stuff if i kept using and purchasing the same one

I think the 1 product a month is enough to replace any staples. I would never get through all my stuff if i kept using and purchasing the same one

I agree...althought it would make our lives more comfortable, I don't think we'll ever get to the "other" stuff we hardly use...thus kind of defeating the purpose of this challenge...

Yeah I say let's rock with 1 staple product a month. We'll have to have continuous sessions of this challenges from now until the cows come home if we buy 1 of each.

On another note, used up another product! Used the last of my Skala ceramides conditioner during a cowash today. Onto the next :woot:

You know I've been thinking about what B-Phlyy said, I did vote yes and I'm gonna keep that vote if others want to purchase something, but personally I'm gonna use up what I have. She's right if you keep buying stuff, you won't use stuff up.

NikkiQ, I'm still looking for a nice, lathery non-stripping shampoo myself. I really like the KBB poo bar, it's moisturizing and I don't have to ACV rinse after. Also, I loved the old Cream of Nature, I hear it's making a comeback that's a good one if it is.

Also, I didn't pay enough attention to the rules, I should've listed what I want to use up not everything I own. So I'm working on that list, but as of now I know I'm def gonna have a sale.:yep:

I think I'll join this challenge as well, I already made an excel spreadsheet of all my products divided into categories (I'm anal like that, don't judge :giggle:) So here it goes:
1. What are your motivations for joining this challenge?
I realised I could probably go at least 2 full months without buying anything at all while doing my hair daily and survive on what I already own :ohwell:

2. A list of the products you hope to be using up in your stash? Include the ones you buy in your 5 day grace period. Use your own categories.
Cleansers
  1. Dr. Bronner - Castile Soap Almond
  2. Shea moisture Moisture retention shampoo (returned)
Moisturisers / leave ins
  1. Giovanni direct leave in
  2. Curls Curl creme brulee
  3. Kinky Curly Knot today done
Protein reconstructors
  1. Aphogee 2 step done
  2. Ion reconstructor
  3. LeKair Cholesterol plus
  4. One n only Argan oil restorative mask done
  5. Joico Kpak reconstructor done
Moisture deep conditioners
  1. Aussie 3 minute done
  2. Shea moisture Deep treatment masque
  3. Giovanni 50/50 done done
Conditioners
  1. Aussie moist
  2. Suave almond + shea butter done
  3. Suave aloe vera and ginseng done
  4. Tresseme Luxurious moisture done
  5. Herbal essences Dangerously straight
  6. Vo5 volumizing conditioner
  7. Mane n tail conditioner
  8. Tresseme Healthy volume done
Curly stylers
  1. Shea moisture curl enhancing smoothie
  2. Shea moisture Curl & style milk
  3. Simply organic gurl Curl defining creme
  4. Kinky curly Curling custard done
  5. Suave Sleek anti-frizz cream
  6. Eco styler Olive oil gel
  7. Eco styler Blue gel (gave away)
Straight stylers (for dry twistouts or rollersets)
  1. GVP smoothing ultimate styling creme
  2. Garnier fructis Surf hair returned
  3. Garnier fructis Fiber gum putty returned
  4. Garnier fructis Curl sculpting cream-gel
  5. Simply organic gurl styling creme
  6. BB Foam wrapping lotion
Oils
  1. Castor oil
  2. Grapeseed oil
  3. EVOO
  4. EVCO
  5. Wheat germ oil
  6. Avocado oil done
Serums
  1. Sabino Moisture block
  2. Hask Frizz remedy
  3. La-Brasiliana Define & shine
  4. Organix Coconut milk anti breakage serum
And this is my list after I finished a bunch of stuff :look:

3. Post a Pic of your "Stash". (Optional)
IMG-20110405-00284.jpg

I have a three tiered system, top shelf is in current rotation to be finished, second shelf is next and last shelf is backups and things I have yet to try, although tier two also has a couple of things I've never tried like the SheaMoisture stuff.

4. Which session(s) you are joining. (go slow ladies and be realistic)?
I'll do 2 sessions.

Last edited:
You know I've been thinking about what B-Phlyy said, I did vote yes and I'm gonna keep that vote if others want to purchase something, but personally I'm gonna use up what I have. She's right if you keep buying stuff, you won't use stuff up.
I agree. I have soooo much stuff (and it all works for me), that I just want to use it all up and then I will start over with a few staple items and no more being a pj. So for now, I won't be replacing anything.

Red = Removed from stash

Shampoos
Giovanni 50:50 shampoo
Keracare hydrating detangling shampoo
Phyto Organics shampoo (can't remember the type)

Conditioners
VO5 Moisture Milks Strawberry (4 bottles) Down to 3 bottles
Phyto Organics Therappe
Giovanni Smooth as Silk
Giovanni Tea Tree
Roux Porosity Control (2 bottles)
Joico Moisture Recovery

Deep Conditioners
Silk Elements MegaSilk Treatment
Aubrey Organics Honey Suckle Rose
Jessiecurl Weekly Deep Treatment
Joico K-pak Intense Hydrator (10 tubes)
Lutrasilk Shea Mango

Leave Ins/Moisturizers
Cantu Shea Butter Leave In
Taliah Waajid Mist Bodifier
Herbal Essence Long Term Relationship Leave-In (3 bottles) Down to 1 bottle
Roux 619 leave-in (2 packs)

Oils & Essential Oils
Castor Oil
EVOO
Coconut Oil
Jojoba Oil
Rosemary Oil
Peppermint Oil
Tea Tree Oil

Styling products
EcoStyler gel
Aloe Vera Gel
Qhemet Biologic Amla & Olive Heavy Cream

Misc.
GVP Chi Silk Infusion
Joico K-pak reconstructor (10 tubes)
Aphogee 2 min

I'm down to my very last half-bottle of shampoo. And I still have about a billion conditioners. You do the math :look: I'm gonna be DCing and co-washing my hair a lot :yep:

You ladies are hard core and not playing around. I love it. You are definitely motivating me to stay on track.

It is a bad habit that if the store has a hair care product aisle I have to look. So I'm in Kroger and looking. And they always have something they didn't have last time. The shampoos were calling me. buy me! buy me! But I resisted. I am going to use my pass to get the Elasta QP Shampoo this month. I also refrained from buying any hair accessories. They had Goody products 2 for $5. I walked away...slowly but still.

:look: Ok Zaz, you come in the room crossing stuff off :lol:

You are going to fit right in.

(I'm anal like that, don't judge :giggle:) So here it goes:
Good because I have some tendencies myself. Trying to keep them on the low. :grin:

RULE CHANGE VOTE:

@1stladyv,
@Aireen, @alive, @AlliCat, @A856, @Amazhaan,
@Beany, @B_Phlyy (voted), @che1219, @creolefox,
@JJamiah, @leiah (voted), nanCeBoTwin, @NikkiQ,
@ms_b_haven06, @ThickRoot (voted)

Thanks Ladies

nah, i think we should go cold turkey like you originally posted :look:

:look: Ok Zaz, you come in the room crossing stuff off :lol:

You are going to fit right in.

Good because I have some tendencies myself. Trying to keep them on the low. :grin:

:lachen:
I already had the spreadsheet, I was like shoot can't let all this progress go to waste I'll just pretend I've been in it from the beginning :giggle:

I vote to keep the original rules in place. It's because of me being a PJ that I can't find my staples... :look::look::look:

I think the passes and emergency options are already enough.

You ladies are hard core and not playing around. I love it. You are definitely motivating me to stay on track.

It is a bad habit that if the store has a hair care product aisle I have to look. So I'm in Kroger and looking. And they always have something they didn't have last time. The shampoos were calling me. buy me! buy me! But I resisted. I am going to use my pass to get the Elasta QP Shampoo this month. I also refrained from buying any hair accessories. They had Goody products 2 for $5. I walked away...slowly but still.

Let me know how the shampoo works out! I may try that or the CON shampoo.

This new staple addition would be fine with me since this is what I have been doing anyway. I use up in different product categories at different times. Currently I don't have and extra dc's either moisture or protein. I have already purchased my staple protein dc about 1 month ago so I'm good there, but my moisture dc is about 1-2 uses. I have alot of styling products to use up, mainly. All that to say, YES! I'm a rambler, sorry. I'll post my product list soon. It's just tough to do from my phone.

NikkiQ - I picked up the new ElastaQP Soyl shampoo - the 34 oz. :ohwell: They only had the Elasta QP shampoo for relaxed hair in the smaller size and the 34 oz is the smallest they had in the Soyl shampoo. I was reluctant to get that much shampoo but then the lady told me it was $5 and then I got 15% off, so it seemed like it was worth a try. I want to wash my hair now :lol:

So I will shampoo either saturday or sunday and let you know.

I am patting myself on the back a 2nd time. I used my pass to buy the shampoo and did not buy any other products. I did buy a hair clip and a applicator bottle but I don't count those.

I really did want to buy a lot more though :lol: I wanted to try some of the generic Paul Mitchell, and the Argan One and Only and the Silk Elements and....:lachen::lachen:

@NikkiQ - I picked up the new ElastaQP Soyl shampoo - the 34 oz. :ohwell: They only had the Elasta QP shampoo for relaxed hair in the smaller size and the 34 oz is the smallest they had in the Soyl shampoo.

NikkiQ
I used the ElastaQP Soyl shampoo tonight and I like it :yep:. I have been through 6 and this is definitely what I am going to use for my staple shampoo. Usually when I put shampoo in my hair it puffs up and shrinks. And that happens sulfates or no sulfates but really more with the sulfate free shampoo. However with this shampoo I was able to shampoo my hair in bantu knots. I rinsed my hair with the bantu knots in, applied shampoo, worked it in, twisted it back up, did the other sections, rinsed, reapplied and rinsed. Even after that my hair was soft, moisturized, non-puffy, smooth and I actually twisted it and put the bantu knots in.

It was softer and more moistured with the shampoo than it is when I take out my DC. There were no tangles and my hair felt slippery.

Then I made the mistake off following it with the Suave Shea Butter conditioner. That was a no go. As soon as I applied it I could feel my hair shrinking up and my ends puffing. My ends had been smooth until then.

I really like this shampoo and I'm making it staple. :yay: :yay: I have my shampoo.

Back