Upgrade ME!!!

Sade'

Ok ladies DH and I dated for years through college ('94) til 2008 when we got married FINALLY. I love him to death and I know it's not all about the ring but ummm it will be 2 years in April and I wanna upgrade like now. Am I being ungrateful? I have 1/2 carat now and I want to go up 1 carat. He's been saying oh yeah we can upgrade at the 25th anniversary...I'm like :lachen::lachen: boy u so crazy...why wait? Life is short do it now! He says he is down for it and will take me to the jewelry store to price it now since my *** can't wait. So Ladies I mean, those of u are diamond type of girls...am I being superficial? :perplexed

LOL, well 2 years is a short time to be asking for an upgrade. If it doesn't hold any sentimental value to you or your husband, then go for it.

My ring is a carat & I thought I would upgrade at the 5 yr mark. That 5 yr mark is long gone & I don't even think about it anymore. I love the cut & style of my ring, so I guess thats why I don't think about getting a new one. At the jewelry store where my husband purchased my ring, we will receive credit for an upgrade. If I want to trade my current ring in, we will get the full purchase price & it will go towards a new ring. Maybe you can check to see if you can get the same deal.

LOL, well 2 years is a short time to be asking for an upgrade. If it doesn't hold any sentimental value to you or your husband, then go for it.

I was thinking the same thing. Then I noticed that the OP said two years in April. She's been married a year and a half - almost a newlywed. :)

OP in my mind as long as you and your husband agree then it's fine. I was wondering the same thing for myself, except regarding an anniversary band. It felt shallow to me when there's so much economic uncertainty and people I care for are suffering financially. So we waited a bit. But as long as you have your ducks in a row (not buying it on credit, etc.) then I say go for it!

Yes...the jewelry store where he purchased it from will allow you to use the current diamond as a credit towards a new one...full purchase price.

Yeah ur right, it's rather early.

Yes that's the most important thing "have your ducks in a row (not buying it on credit)". Thx finickyone! I'd hate to set us back a few grand over my superficial needs/wants. LOL

Wait until your 5 or 10 year ann and then get a 3 carat. Take that $$ you would have spent and take a romantic trip or getaway. Create a memory instead of a bill.

Grrr! You are so right Newbiemom. Funny but DH seems like he is all for it. He asked me when do I want to go to the jewelry store and to get the paper work for the ring out of the safe. I was SHOCKED. Usually he is in his right mind and advises against spending esp altering what he has done. But I won't pressure him...I might be going through a silly diamond phase which too shall pass. Thanks ladies...I just needed to hear some rational feedback.

Ok ladies DH and I dated for years through college ('94) til 2008 when we got married FINALLY. I love him to death and I know it's not all about the ring but ummm it will be 2 years in April and I wanna upgrade like now. Am I being ungrateful? I have 1/2 carat now and I want to go up 1 carat. He's been saying oh yeah we can upgrade at the 25th anniversary...I'm like :lachen::lachen: boy u so crazy...why wait?

Well, TECHNICALLY, yall been together from 1994 - 2009, so isn't it your 15th year anniversary of togetherness? :yep: (get that upgrade, get that upgrade)

Me likes!! I tell DH every year that for our 10th anniversary I'm definitely upgrading. I have 2 carats now, but I would like to double that for "my trouble"!! LOL!!! A lady at work said yesterday, "WOW look at your ring!! I guess you're very married!!". I laughed and said "Well I can't wait for a couple more years so I can be even more married!!".

Regardless of how long you've been married, you're so worth it!!! Go for it girl, and be sure to post pics of your new bling!!

I wish I had a boo to upgrade a ring...or even a cell phone..if you and your boo are mutally ok with it then get that rock..just don't get it too heavy where your hand hurts

I wish I had a boo to upgrade a ring...or even a cell phone..if you and your boo are mutally ok with it then get that rock..just don't get it too heavy where your hand hurts

LOL! :lachen: i feel you though. i really do

and i agree. op, if you and your dh agree and are financially able, then why not?

I dont think asking for an upgrade is selfish. i got married with a half carat ring. Now I have a 2ct center stone with 2- 1 ct accent stones. :) my band is 1 ct.

I dont think asking for an upgrade is selfish. i got married with a half carat ring. Now I have a 2ct center stone with 2- 1 ct accent stones. :) my band is 1 ct.

BALLER!!!!!!! :grin: That's a total of 5 carats!!!! Good-googa-booga that's a lot of bling. I guess you're VERY married!! LOL!!! :lachen:

Woohoo! I bet u wear a SLING to keep that left arm up! How long after did the wedding did u wait to upgrade?

So this is an update. DH and I talked last night about the ring and he pulled out the invoice. He bought it in 2006, thank goodness we didn't loose that info when we moved. Anyway he wanted to double check the value of the diamond to estimate how much we could get for the trade in. He's all for it so I don't feel bad. He even suggested that we go this Friday :bouncy:
Needless to say I can't wait. And yes I will def post a pic before & after.

But get this...me being modest, I said babe I only would go up to a 1ct or 1.25 and he says hell if we doing all this u might as well shoot for 2ct so u can see a significant difference. I should've recorded that statement huh ladies? Was he in his right mind :spinning: Oh well!

Sade, you know you're going to have to hook your man up after he upgrades you, you know? Go ahead and grab yourself some Maca and hit us on Monday!!! LOL!!! :lachen: And if you do grab some Maca, let a sista know how it works!! ;)

^5 I'm glad you're getting an upgrade. The ring that dh bought me is NOT the one that I was showing him every time we went in the mall, it is NOT the pic of the one I have in the Bible. The one that I have is small for my finger. So I think for our two year anni in Feb, I want the upgrade, even if I have to pay for it myself in cash.

Sade, you know you're going to have to hook your man up after he upgrades you, you know? Go ahead and grab yourself some Maca and hit us on Monday!!! LOL!!! :lachen: And if you do grab some Maca, let a sista know how it works!! ;)

LMAOO!!!!!!! U dag on right!!!!!!

^5 I'm glad you're getting an upgrade. The ring that dh bought me is NOT the one that I was showing him every time we went in the mall, it is NOT the pic of the one I have in the Bible. The one that I have is small for my finger. So I think for our two year anni in Feb, I want the upgrade, even if I have to pay for it myself in cash.

Girl i feel u!!! Esp the part about paying for it yourself. Do what u gotta do! U look at ur hand like dag this thing looks like a dot on my long fingers! It's all about what u want.
Sidenote: ladies we are going to "look" on Friday, just to get a quote and then purchase. I hoping to have it at least by Xmas. Gotta budget u know!

^5 I'm glad you're getting an upgrade. The ring that dh bought me is NOT the one that I was showing him every time we went in the mall, it is NOT the pic of the one I have in the Bible..

:lachen: :lachen: Im sorry for laughing but it's like are you telling me after all that, brotha couldnt take a hint?

Hi DivaDava. NO updates at all. For SOME reason he decided that he didn't wanna go. He told me to "hold tight". My bday is next month so he has me wondering a little bit. UGH!!! I mean what is wrong with looking. I swear if my bday comes and there are no surprises my feelings will be hurt. So alas I sit here gazing and being grateful for what I do have.

Hi DivaDava. NO updates at all. For SOME reason he decided that he didn't wanna go. He told me to "hold tight". My bday is next month so he has me wondering a little bit. UGH!!! I mean what is wrong with looking. I swear if my bday comes and there are no surprises my feelings will be hurt. So alas I sit here gazing and being grateful for what I do have.

Keep your head up hon!! Remember, not everyone has a ring. So what you do have, someone will be thrilled at just the thought of having. But he may be surprising you. I mean if he misses your bday, he's got Christmas and then Valentine's day. He may be one of those guys that make sure you forget about it and get mad at him, just to catch you off guard. It may come when you least expect it. But it'll come.

Keep your head up hon!! Remember, not everyone has a ring. So what you do have, someone will be thrilled at just the thought of having. But he may be surprising you. I mean if he misses your bday, he's got Christmas and then Valentine's day. He may be one of those guys that make sure you forget about it and get mad at him, just to catch you off guard. It may come when you least expect it. But it'll come.

You are so right DivaDava! Thanks lady :drunk:

:lachen: :lachen: Im sorry for laughing but it's like are you telling me after all that, brotha couldnt take a hint?
Girl, I was soooo close to saying no. A gf of mine has the ring that I stalked, but she said that she told her dh that if he don't come with what she wants, ain't no need in askin.

LOL I'm glad your getting the upgrade. I wondered the same thing too about if my guy proposed to me with something small. I know personally 2 cts is my max (center stone not t.w lol). But if he bought me a .25 I said yeah but Id probably hurt his feelings when I upgraded my own ring to at least a carat.

Back