unmanipulated hair in its ABSOLUTE natural condition

Nothing legal, but like you said it is unappealing and will be perceived negatively, hence why many women may not do it. I don't actually mean this to be a 'regimen', as in totally abandoning manipulation/products etc. I'm just saying I have never seen this, and to tell you the truth I wouldn't dare do it myself either

But some people may not like to groom their hair, some women may like to go out with their natural hair, without receiving negative reactions.

I completely understand what you are saying. I guess I just accept that we don't live in that type of world where you can do what you like and no one says anything or looks at you funny. It's not completely a race thing although it would be nice to say that it is. But if it were we wouldn't be talking about Why Angela Simmons went out with her pants legs rolled up, or she looks good in that skirt but her blouse has to go or Do you wear Nude Shoes, etc.

We just live in a world that nitpicks individuality. :ohwell:

hmm, I don't have the tough skin for it, but if I did, I sure as hell would rock my natural hair the way it is now as I'm typing. But I know that when I'm about to go out in 15 min the least I have to do to it is put it in a bun, so as not to offend ppl

and yuk @ rocstar:lol:

Nothing legal, but like you said it is unappealing and will be perceived negatively, hence why many women may not do it. I don't actually mean this to be a 'regimen', as in totally abandoning manipulation/products etc. I'm just saying I have never seen this, and to tell you the truth I wouldn't dare do it myself either

But some people may not like to groom their hair, some women may like to go out with their natural hair, without receiving negative reactions.

How do you know you haven't seen this though? Hair that is properly balanced (protein/moisture) probably looks good without any products at all. I don't like leave-in so I don't use them often. I'd honestly rather cowash than moisturize and seal... Not everyone puts a ton of stuff in their hair. I'm partial to wash and goes with gel only but I like the look of a wash and go with bare hair too. HeyFranHey did nothing to her hair for a while to prove a point (I guess) and it actually looked better than when she puts stuff in it.

When my hair was really short, yeah. I went out like that all the time. Longer than 2" and it's a disaster waiting to happen :nono:
Daeuiel Your siggy!!!...OMG It's THOR!!!! :blush: I am in LOVE with Thor, he is soo sexy:lick:, if my husband ever dies in an unfortunate accident :look:, I will marry Thor, and spend the rest of my days with him!!!! :grin:

How do you know you haven't seen this though? Hair that is properly balanced (protein/moisture) probably looks good without any products at all. I don't like leave-in so I don't use them often. I'd honestly rather cowash than moisturize and seal... Not everyone puts a ton of stuff in their hair. I'm partial to wash and goes with gel only but I like the look of a wash and go with bare hair too. HeyFranHey did nothing to her hair for a while to prove a point (I guess) and it actually looked better than when she puts stuff in it.

because it's messy/ugly/unappealing/ and quite obvious, with black women's hair. It has to be manipulated in some form or shape for you to be able to walk outside. Even a wash and go gives you some form of manipulation, with out without product. I live in area that is heavily ethnic populated, and even within this area it is not accepted. Forget outside, inside the home my mother tells me 'do something with your hair' every single day, as in fix it, braid it, do something, don't just leave it as it is. My hair is combed, not too tangled, it may not appeal to people. I just wish it wasn't negatively perceived

hmm, I don't have the tough skin for it, but if I did, I sure as hell would rock my natural hair the way it is now as I'm typing. But I know that when I'm about to go out in 15 min the least I have to do to it is put it in a bun, so as not to offend ppl

and yuk @ rocstar:lol:

My last post then I'll leave you alone... :lol: Wear your hair how you like. :yep: You don't have to style it a certain way to please anyone. How can an afro offend anyone? I think your perception is a little skewed. I think you may find that a fro can get a lot of attention and lots of positive attention. Just wear it proudly and don't think to much about what other people are thinking.

SN: every time I see the Madagascar commercial with the afro circus, I want to take out all these braids and wear my fro. :lol: da da dadada da dada AFRO! :lachen:

ETA: I just read your other post. I'll PM you.

Last edited:
i was wearing my hair like that a lot last year. no biggie. just shampoo, condition, rinse and go. no leave in o r anything. by 3rd day hair its bigger and crazier but it is what it is. i have no problem wearing my hair like that. who gon check me?

Even people with type 1 hair will manipulate it before leaving their homes as you don't want to look unkempt. If it's short enough, you can add water for hold and then finger style. That's manipulation. If we don't manipulate our hair, any hair type, and leave it in it's most natural state, won't it just end up in 1 big dreadlock? That's hot :rolleyes:

I can handle the no product thing but when it's obvious you got out of bed or the couch or where ever and did absolutely nothing to your hair cause one side is plastered to your head, is when I have a problem. That is pure laziness and using the excuse that it grows from your head that way is old, tired and ridiculous.

No disrespect to the OP, but I just don't get the point in wanting to see hair that is not groomed. I don't get what that would signify, I'm missing the deeper meaning or something.

I'm the only black woman in my office and there is no one here who comes to work without manipulating her hair. My former boss, who kept a super-short haircut, ran it under water and combed it daily so it looked how she wanted it to. I think there are reasons that have nothing to do with other people's perceptions, that prevent most from wearing hair unmanipulated. I personally don't do it because I don't want to deal with the ramifications (tangling, knots, broken strands). I could care less what others think, that's about ME! My hair, totally unmanipulated, is a 3 inch afro. I'm APL. Can you IMAGINE the detangling session?!?!

Um no..

I would look like this

images

not saying its ugly, but not my cup of tea :look:

Well my hair in my siggy is an old picture of it in absolute natural condition (aka naked). I don't think I would wear it outdoors like that though. My hair is quite fine and is even more weightless if I don't have any product in it to weigh it down. The wind would have my hair going every which way and I would end up in tangle city.

If my hair was denser, heavier, and coarser I would definitely wear it outside naked.

On Saturday nights I wash my hair and do chunky twists, with NO product whatsoever. This is in preparation for my Sunday DC and steam session. I've been known to go out in public on Sunday mornings, to run errands, like this. To me it does not look bad - just dryish.

Um no..

I would look like this

images

not saying its ugly, but not my cup of tea :look:

I really don't see anything wrong with this, except that it will probably be tangled and full of SSKs. But I wouldn't look at anyone crazy if I saw them out with their hair like this, and I have seen it before.

Personally I would put on a headband or put it in a puff b/c all that hair gets hot, plus mine flops in my face.

:lol:

:look: I said it was not my cup of tea. :lol: I like messy hair that still looks kinda tamed...
Like this cute to me, it's still wild , but it looks a little more combed
but I dont want nothing purposely poking out of the top of my head lol
images

@Rocky91
wait a minute, wait a minute.
this is mad cute though girl!! :lol:
i would so wear that.

I would have to add a flower or headband, to give it something. But I couldnt just roll out the house like that...

I really don't see anything wrong with this, except that it will probably be tangled and full of SSKs. But I wouldn't look at anyone crazy if I saw them out with their hair like this, and I have seen it before.

Personally I would put on a headband or put it in a puff b/c all that hair gets hot, plus mine flops in my face.

Why?

I mean, why would I leave the house with my hair uncombed? If anyone else were to do that, we'd give them a wide birth on the street.

I rarely even wear my hair out (WnG, twist/braid out, etc) due to potential tangles.

On Saturday nights I wash my hair and do chunky twists, with NO product whatsoever. This is in preparation for my Sunday DC and steam session. I've been known to go out in public on Sunday mornings, to run errands, like this. To me it does not look bad - just dryish.

Chunky twists is still something tho. She's talking, walking out without abandon or doing ANYthing to your hair. :look:

Now, I'm not sure if this is some long lost history fact but, I'm pretty sure Adam invented a comb after Eve's hair started matting. Or maybe I read that somewhere. IDK. :look:

Lol, grooming is a biological imperative...humans, animals...even Bugs groom themselves. No one is walkin around looking like Wild America, unless it's a Choice to do so. Because its a biological imperative, there are social norms that go along with it...so it's not a racial thing, or a nappy hair thing...it's just natural. Pun intended :drunk:

SN...ya'll are KILLING me with these gifs!! LOL, my kids think I'm a nutter from laughing so loud! :lachen::lachen:

I have done it before ( I had to run out of the house right after I got out of the shower), but I lost some hair because once it dried, the back of it became a tangled up mess.

I wear my hair like that. Looks something like this
b8338p.jpg

I get lots of negative comments from black men at work. Who knows what everyone else is thinking but I like to think that I look like that model :lol:

I have never combed or cut my son's hair. It is a big fro with lots of pencil sized dreads throughout. I love it.

I don't own a comb or brush.

Most humans all races and genders groom themselves. Most animals do the same too. It's just the law of nature. tis all.

Back