True or False-Straightening natural hair damages your curl pattern?

True or False

• True

Votes: 55 43.0%
  • False

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • Yes and No...I'll explain

Votes: 44 34.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site goes through phases, about 2 years ago it was BKT and now it's heat. People get on here and see someone with a beautiful BKT then they gotta have it. Now it's the same thing with heat, it will pass.

its been 2 years already? my, how time passes:spinning:

I say true, but everyone is different. Some can take the heat other's can't. Do you really want to be in the situation and find out that your hair can't take it? A lot of people do not believe in heat damage, they believe in heat training. I hate to burst bubbles but ,heat training IS heat damage, call it what cha like.

I am proud to be heat and chemical free for 13+ years. I can honestly say that I have not thought about using either. I see no need for heat and chemicals in MY LIFE.

that's true. anytime you apply heat to your hair, put water on it and it doesn't revert back, you have damaged your hair. you've broken the bond.

My stylist straightens my dd's hair once a month. We've been following this reggie for about 2 years now. Her hair reverts right back to it's natural state as soon as any type of water hits it. Before each trip to the shop we cowash and dc.

Here's a shot of her hair wet at the pool this summer:

Here's what it looks like straightened:

However, we stop straightening Mid-March through Sept/Oct due to sports.

Last edited:
Just curious, does "damage" to curl pattern mean a "damaged" head of hair? I'm relaxed and I don't consider my hair damaged, even with the intentional broken bonds and all. Weakened, perhaps, but definitely not damaged, especially since the term is so relative. It could be the case that one person's damaged hair is another person's healthy undamaged hair.

Unless intent has a lot to do with whether hair is damaged or not? (Like relaxed heads intend to break their bonds and loosen their curl pattern permanently. Or to keep things on topic, what if a natural wanted to have permanently straightened hair without the use of a chemical relaxer? Perhaps we should call them by a different name to help avoid the damaged vs undamaged heat-trained natural talk.)

So that's why I chose Yes and No.

PS - It's one thing to believe heat to one's hair is damaged (I respect that opinion) but it's another thing to be overly smug and absolutist about it. There is always more than one side to a coin.

Last edited:
I work in a corporate environment and heard rumbings that the executive vp of my department no longer cared for my hair. :perplexed

An old coworker of mine decided to go natural and the VP of her dept said, "WHY? :ohwell: Do you have good hair or something?" I thought it was rude and hilarious at the same time.

Do you mention when the VP dresses in clothing you dont care for? Hell no... As long as you look neat and well put together, I say the VP is using the hair as an excuse to speak negatively about you.

My hair does not like to be straightened. No matter what precautions I take I still get heat damage. Last time I used a heat protectant, straightened instead of blow drying. I rollerset my hair then flat ironed it. When I washed it I had straight pieces...it never fails.
After a couple of shampoos my hair reverted back more & more but I still had straight ends after a couple months..I got fed up with them and cut them. I refuse to flat iron my hair ever again basically...if I want straight hair I will do a rollerset or weave.

If your hair is fine, it may destroy the curl pattern completely. I just let my hair dry naturally today because I have the flu and half of my hair is PIN straight. I don't even know why I flat iron anything but the roots anymore lol. It's awful :nono:. I really want my curls back but I feel trapped. I have fine, frizzy 3b hair btw.

I voted yes- heat has personally ruined my curl pattern & I know I can't do it- my new growth ends up looking totally different from heat-straightened hair even after a few good washes and DCs. I think it may be user error though- I'm no expert on flat irons :perplexed. Now I'm too afraid to risk it, even at a salon. I think it all depends on a person's hair type in the end.

Op you are going to get mixed reviews any way you slice this. Everyone is going by their own hair and their own personal opinions about heat. Have you straightened your hair since transitioning? If so how did your hair react afterwards?

More importantly unless you are truly interested in straightening your hair I wouldn't start messing with it just because of a rumble. Keep doing what you do at work and your hair shouldn't be an issue. Especially since your VP has not said anything to you.

I agree with what others have said it depends on the hair and the methods used to straighten. My sister has 3c hair and keeps it straight 90% of the time with no problems. Her hair still reverts. I think if done properly you should be able to do it. I'm sorry that you have to change your hair for your job but in the world I know, "it be like that sometime." I hope you find something that works for you.

Don't know about anyone else's but MY curl pattern was definitely affected when I straightened a few years ago. BUT, I attribute that to the straightening technique. The stylist used Marcels to straighten. :nono: After that, I swore off heat for some time... Then my regular stylist told me that flat ironing my hair with a CHI would not straighten my curls. She's done it 6 times over the past 6 years and my curls always spring back.

If you use the appropriate amount of heat, then no. If you burn your hair, then yes. I recommend you to stay away from marcel irons and stay away from putting the iron/comb on the stove. Use a temperature controlled electric flat iron.

If you use the appropriate amount of heat, then no. If you burn your hair, then yes. I recommend you to stay away from marcel irons and stay away from putting the iron/comb on the stove. Use a temperature controlled electric flat iron.

This.
I've been hanging around some ol' school sistas who are dying to see my hair straight..but they use the stove method and all the greases n evrything. They only wear their hair pressed, so natural texture doesn't mean much.:nono:
I never straighten, but I'd like to soon...but I love my curlz and would cry if it didn't revert!
I was almost swayed to try a pressing comb (to get it really straight)..but now I'm understanding that temp. control is a big factor between saving coils from heat damage!!:rolleyes:

My curl pattern has def changed. check out my siggy compared to this pic. My hair used to curl back up now it doesnt, partly because of using heat and partly because I live in a area with hard water. I'm not cutting my hair and I'm not going to stop using heat. I just will use it more sparingly, I was upset about the changed when I first realized it, I even vowed to leave heat alone for a while (made a youtube video and all) then today when i got tired of looking at my hair be all over the place, i flat ironed it (avatar :look:) So I'm a heat user and apparently a youtube liar :lol:
24247_373393497132_508282132_417558.jpg

Probably it depends on the person and hair texture..... I had a personal revelation this last time I washed and conditioned my hair. It brought back memories of when I was a little child. I will explain.... When I was a little child my hair texture and curls was very soft and bouncy. I can remember the first time I got my hair "hot combed" straight (now I am really telling my age here). It was pretty and thus the love of straight hair began. When perms became popular I started trying that too. But disaster soon struck.... I was allergic to the stuff and damage began until one time I broke out so bad I could no longer have perms. Once I went back natural it was never the same as when I was a child and looking back on it my hair never needed to have a hot comb or perm. Ok.... roll forward to today. I have been totally natural for 6 years. This year makes 7. I have been living in South Korea for almost 4 years now. With limited access to products, I am almost 100% using homemade and herbs on my hair. Just yesterday I washed and deep conditioned my hair as I have been doing using my herbs, and a local Asian product. For the first time since I was a child.... the top of my hair is like it was when I was a child, the right side isn't quite there yet but almost. The left side and back has a little way to go to catch up. The only thing I can figure is that this turn of events is happening because of my change in diet and using herbs, berries, and natural products for several years. The health of my hair is almost the same as when I was a child, unspoiled by commercial things.

I don't know the true answer the this question, but for myself natural nature, whether food or hair product, is what has gotten my hair back to this state. I hope I am making sense here..... sorry, I didn't mean to be long winded.

I have fine hair and if used excessively heat will start to loosen my hair texture. I only got heat damage once when using Marcel irons because there isn't any heat regulation.

My stylist straightens my dd's hair once a month. We've been following this reggie for about 2 years now. Her hair reverts right back to it's natural state as soon as any type of water hits it. Before each trip to the shop we cowash and dc.

Here's a shot of her hair wet at the pool this summer:

Here's what it looks like straightened:

However, we stop straightening Mid-March through Sept/Oct due to sports.

~NanCeBoTwin~ Mind sharing what your stylist does/your daughter's complete regimen?

I think it's the overall condition of the hair prior to using heat that determines how well your hair will revert after using heat.

1) Has the VP expressed any disdain for your hair to you, personally? I would'nt go by 'rumblngs' in the company.

He/she won't do this....

2) If she HAS commented on your hair in a negative fashion and insinuated that your job is on the line bc of it (as it relates to it's texture/bigness) then isn't that grounds for some sort of legal action?

...because of this!

3)Yes, heat damages your hair. Over tme you will notice that your once vibrant and poppin' tendrils are lackluster, limp, and stringy. Bet on it. You may not notice after 1, 2, or even 3 burn sessions, but eventually you wil notice. You can get by with heat damage if you decide to wear your hair straight for ever and ever, but once you want to rock it in it's textured state it will look cruddy.

4) # 3 is based off of personal experience AND common sense.

What will happen is that she will get fewer and fewer high-profile/plum assignments and eventually be let go because she is not productive for the company--and it will be virtually impossible for her to trace it back to complaints about her hair texture. In corporate America, you are expected to just know that you have to look the very conservative part--and natural/kinky hair is, unfortunately, not considered looking the part.

i wish you could tell the VP to kick rocks with open toe shoes. im not messing up my hair for NO ONE.

Last edited:
I would say everything in moderation...I would never get a Dominican blowout, but that's just me personally. My friend gets them a lot, and while her hair looks nice, she always complains that it burns her scalp. I think I'll pass on that lol.

I co-wash, DC and detangle her hair prior to the salon visit. I leave some conditioner in her hair the stylist rinses her hair still in plats. She puts her under the dryer to remove most of the water. After which she removes the plats, and clips each section that was a plat, and begins to blow dry. After blow drying she flat irons and styles. For the remaining weeks, we pin curl at night and cover with a scarf or we put it in a high pony tail and cover with a bonnet.

Her Reggie during softball season is very simple, co wash/detangle/DC once a week. She wears a puff ponytail pretty much daily and we plat it in our same four sections each night. I moisturize and seal as needed, usually every other night or so. I also clarify once a month.

In my case... ABSOLUTELY YES!

I straighten my hair maybe 2-3 times a year. I have been natural for 2 years, which means I have straightened my hair 4-6 times in the span of my natural journey.
And let me tell you, despite diligently doing protein and moisture treatments, my hair is damaged and my curl pattern has been compromised.

I still have a nice curl definition but the curls are not as tight as they used to be. I have a lot of strands on my head so my hair appears to be thick, but my strands are very, very fine.
I believe that the thin-ness (is that even a word?) of my strands is the reason my hair cannot take heat too well.

I have decided to put away all my heat tools and stay away from heat for the rest of the year. I love my curls too much to want to mess them up, and it it means that I can only straighten once a year, then so be it.

OP why can't you just rollerset?

I only got heat damage once and it was a tiny piece. SO straightening never on the whole affected my texture. I don't do it that often and I decided to not do it anymore anyhows.

I co-wash, DC and detangle her hair prior to the salon visit. I leave some conditioner in her hair the stylist rinses her hair still in plats. She puts her under the dryer to remove most of the water. After which she removes the plats, and clips each section that was a plat, and begins to blow dry. After blow drying she flat irons and styles. For the remaining weeks, we pin curl at night and cover with a scarf or we put it in a high pony tail and cover with a bonnet.

Her Reggie during softball season is very simple, co wash/detangle/DC once a week. She wears a puff ponytail pretty much daily and we plat it in our same four sections each night. I moisturize and seal as needed, usually every other night or so. I also clarify once a month.

Thanks! Her softball season reggie is pretty much the same as mine, very simple. You're doing an awesome job with her hair!

What will happen is that she will get fewer and fewer high-profile/plum assignments and eventually be let go because she is not productive for the company--and it will be virtually impossible for her to trace it back to complaints about her hair texture. In corporate America, you are expected to just know that you have to look the very conservative part--and natural/kinky hair is, unfortunately, not considered looking the part.

Thank you for saying this. I didn't want to debate back and forth on what I should do. Unfortunately it is what it is..I'm not happy about it. In fact I'm quite angry and sad about it but I chose to play the game-for now.:ohwell:

Back