Ultra Sheen Duo Tex has a Permish feeling

gn1g

I vaguely remember seeing a thread some time ago that spoke of conditioners and other products that were very similar to putting a perm on your hair. If anyone knows what I am speaking of please bump it for me.

I love love love the Ultra Sheen DUO TEX (USDT).

My experience:
I washed my hair with Placenta egg shampoo.
Rinsed my hair and it felt wirey/rough/
I applied the USDT and immediately it begain to feel like silk, The same feel that my hair has when you rinse a perm off.
I followed it with tender apple mositurizing conditioner.
End results my hair feels a thousand times healthier.

I am wondering if it is possible to slightly perm hair with conditioner?
What's your USDT experience?

Yes, I've used it for the first time after Supergirl suggested it as a protein treatment, in conjucntion with the Keracare Detangling shampoo and the Mizani Intense Night treatment. Anyways, the Duotek did make my hair feel that way too. I thought it strange because I'm in transistion so most of my hair now is natural. I've only used it once so far, so I can't tell you anymore info than this yet.

Nice & Wavy said:
Well, for me it was over as soon as I put in my deep conditioner. It doesn't feel that way now.
So what would happen if you didnt deep condition after?
Does it have elasticity?

I used this once after my silk elements relaxer, only for five minutes and it made my hair feel silky. I hope to get the same results again, I'll be using it this weekend.

Lovelylocs said:
So what would happen if you didnt deep condition after?
Does it have elasticity?

It's protein, so even though my hair felt nice afterwards, I know that you should condition after every protein treatment. I don't remember how much elasticity my hair had, but when I do it again next week, I'll pay attention and then let you know.

How long are you y'all using this on your hair? The instructions state 10 minutes without heat, is it okay to use it longer and with heat?

I just recently used this and I noticed my hair feeling silky but I'm not sure if my hair feels like this after a perm or not.

Alli77 said:
How long are you y'all using this on your hair? The instructions state 10 minutes without heat, is it okay to use it longer and with heat?

I don't think you should use it longer with heat.

It is a protein treatment.

And like true protein it does leave my hair feeling in need of moisture and I can tell it's stronger. Any longer and I would fear it'd be hard and rough.

Even though I have to use moisture afterwards, Duo Tex does leave my hair "silkier" which is to say smoother. The reason of course is because it has citric acid and like a acidifying confiditioner it closes the cuticle.

It does leave my hair bouncy and new like after a relaxer.

I actually use this after relaxer (between rinse out and neutralizing shampoo). It leaves my hair strong and with body ...as opposed to being flat due to the new relaxer.

Love it.

P.S. As far as a 'permish' feeling, one of the first things I noticed is it helped or kept my hair hanging straight. It sort of locks my hair in the straight position I've combed it into while the Duo Tex is on.

That's why they advise not to tangle.

Last edited:
Hmm...so this product is an actual protein treatment like Aphogee Treatment for Damaged Hair and not just a protein deep conditioner? I want to try it but I want to know for sure exactly what it is...

Lanelle said:
Hmm...so this product is an actual protein treatment like Aphogee and not just a protein deep conditioner? I want to try it but I want to know for sure what exactly it is...

On the bottle it just says protein conditioner.

But for me the effects are like a treatment. I consider it a medium protein.

But ...maybe ask Supergirl to be sure.

Lanelle said:
Hmm...so this product is an actual protein treatment like Aphogee Treatment for Damaged Hair and not just a protein deep conditioner? I want to try it but I want to know for sure what exactly it is...
Me too! I know that protein conditioners like Aveda's Damage Remedy doesn't need a deep conditioner afterwards and it seals the hair cuticle and leaves the hair sillky smooth. If the product seals the hair cuticle, then how would a deep moisturizing conditioner treatment penetrate the hair shaft? :confused:

Lovelylocs said:
Me too! I know that protein conditioners like Aveda's Damage Remedy doesn't need a deep conditioner afterwards and it seals the hair cuticle and leaves the hair sillky smooth. If the product seals the hair cuticle, then how would a deep moisturizing conditioner treatment penetrate the hair shaft? :confused:

Yeah, I can understand your confusion. My thing is I want to know if it's a deep conditioner that is protein based because it could possibly work in place of my Ultra Black Hair Conditioner and save me shipping charges...if I'm not mistaken this can be picked up @ Sally's Beauty Supply.

Thanks Arm501 and Synthia! I will follow the directions exactly. Just like Aphogee, I don't want to mess up my hair! I noticed that permish feeling too! You are right that's the citric acid, I remember using NEXXUS Aloe Rid Conditioner years back and it made my hair feel silky and smooth, I couldn't afford it anymore though.

Synthia said:
I don't think you should use it longer with heat.

It is a protein treatment.

And like true protein it does leave my hair feeling in need of moisture and I can tell it's stronger. Any longer and I would fear it'd be hard and rough.

Even though I have to use moisture afterwards, Duo Tex does leave my hair "silkier" which is to say smoother. The reason of course is because it has citric acid and like a acidifying confiditioner it closes the cuticle.

It does leave my hair bouncy and new like after a relaxer.

I actually use this after relaxer (between rinse out and neutralizing shampoo). It leaves my hair strong and with body ...as opposed to being flat due to the new relaxer.

Love it.

P.S. As far as a 'permish' feeling, one of the first things I noticed is it helped or kept my hair hanging straight. It sort of locks my hair in the straight position I've combed it into while the Duo Tex is on.

That's why they advise not to tangle.

Exactly what she said! :p I've only used this once, so try it and see...it's inexpensive and if its not for you, take it back.

Alli77 said:

I use it about 3-5 minutes no heat. Don't know about the elasticity deal, for elasticity I would follow this with Kenra MC. It's the best product I've ever used for elasticity.

I washed my hair again today and as soon as the water touched my hair I had that silky feeling again. It's a great protein conditioner, I just wonder if it's a mild perm. :eek:

MizaniMami said:
I will try this. I hope this is a good cheap alternative to nexxus emergencee.

it's FAR better than Nexxus emergencee.

Synthia, you have certainly done your homework! It does make my hair fall straight. Today I decided to get serious about reaching my hair goals and I would like to implement this product into my regiment by using it once a month and after chemical treatments, I just want to be sure about what it is doing to my hair.

gn1g said:
it's FAR better than Nexxus emergencee.

Synthia, you have certainly done your homework! It does make my hair fall straight. Today I decided to get serious about reaching my hair goals and I would like to implement this product into my regiment by using it once a month and after chemical treatments, I just want to be sure about what it is doing to my hair.

Can someone PLEASE (with sugar on top) post the ingredients. I wanna make sure it isn't any relaxing chemicals in it. I am going to pick some up this weekend,

Did it really make you ladies hair straight?? Maybe I can stretch longer. Maybe even every 6 mos. Okay, I'm getting ahead of myself.

How often do yall use it?

BabyImaStarr said:
Just when I decided that I WOULD NOT have a new product to rate on the September Hit or Miss thread, I saw this. Oh Boy :rolleyes:

I know babyimastar! I SAID I wasn't buying NO MO product
! this ain't right!

MizaniMami said:
Can someone PLEASE (with sugar on top) post the ingredients. I wanna make sure it isn't any relaxing chemicals in it. I am going to pick some up this weekend,

Did it really make you ladies hair straight?? Maybe I can stretch longer. Maybe even every 6 mos. Okay, I'm getting ahead of myself.

How often do yall use it?

It doesn't make my hair straight, but it seems to keep it straight (straighter than if I didn't use it). I use it at least once a month, sometimes twice a month.

It's one of the few proteins that can be used immediately after a relaxer so I always use it before neutralizing while the cuticle is still open.

Anyway, here are the ingredients (alphabetical order):
Citric Acid, Fragrance, Hydrolyzed Collagen, Methychloroisothiazolianone, Methylisothiazolinone, Oleth-20, Polyquaternium-6, Water.

Okay, I used this for the first time today and I gotta say I LURVE it! I washed with Tresseme(sp?) Vitamin C poo, (lathered twice) then sprayed on the Duo Tex and let it sit...for bout an hour cuz I went outside with my son and played in the rain. I lost all track of time. I was worried that my hair would be a hard tangled mess, but when I rinsed it my hair felt very silky and smooth. I didn't feel that I even needed to use a moisturizing conditioner, but I did anyway. I put on some Motions Moisture Plus and let it sit...for bout an hour while watching 'The Incredibles' (for about the millionth time).

I wouldn't consider this a hard core protein like the Aphogee, cuz it didn't make my hair hard. Also, I had been using Optimum Hi-Pro tech liquid protein and that stuff tangled my hair something fierce. I kept using it though cuz it DID make my hair stronger, but NO MO'E!! And that's a shame too cuz I still have over half a bottle.

I do have a question though, how much lather are ya'll getting with the Duo Tex? Cuz I didn't get very much. I was wondering if maybe I didn;t leave my hair wet enough. Either way, this is a definite keeper for me.

Last edited:
Synthia said:
It doesn't make my hair straight, but it seems to keep it straight (straighter than if I didn't use it). I use it at least once a month, sometimes twice a month.

It's one of the few proteins that can be used immediately after a relaxer so I always use it before neutralizing while the cuticle is still open.

Anyway, here are the ingredients (alphabetical order):
Citric Acid, Fragrance, Hydrolyzed Collagen, Methychloroisothiazolianone, Methylisothiazolinone, Oleth-20, Polyquaternium-6, Water.

Thank you very much! That was so kind of you.

Okay off to the BSS his weekend!

Back