Type 4 2005 Support Thread: What Were Your Keys to Growth?

1. Less Heat
2. Moisture, Moisture
3. Less Manipulation
3. Extending Relaxers
4. Keeping Ends Sealed

Braids have been helping with my hair growth. I have found that simply flat-ironing (with a ceramic flatiron) helped to smooth my new-growth and prevent breakage caused by the difference in textures.

1) I cant say that Ive had an obsessive amount of growth but its defiantely enough for me. I started at about an inch past shoulders and Im now very close if not at bra strap length. The keys to my success were minimizing heat, wearing buns (keeping ends protected and moist), washing AND deep conditioning every 3 days, and extending touch up past my usual 6 weeks.

2) I now relax every 10-14 weeks depending on the circumstances, as far as preventing breakage at the line of dermcatiion, I wear buns so minimal manipulation played a big part, as well as keeping the hair moisturized to prevent breakage. S-curl and QP mango butter were miracle workers in my post-relaxer journey.
3) Being a 4a/b I know how hard it may seem at times to retain length and deal with new growth, once you find out what your hair likes, youll definately see results and your hard work will pay off!

Good Info Ladies..

I have type 4a hair, but my hair does not hold moisture, especially in the winter time. Maybe Im using the wrong kind of moisturizer. :wallbash: My hair is actually pretty nice and is growing well, but since it has been freezing here in Maryland lately my hair is just shedding, my scalp is always itching and dry.

Anyways, Im gonna grab a little bit of info from you all and see how it works out for me. Im thinking I need to change my deep conditioner and use a protien treatment, and get rid of my Hollywood Beauty Carrot Oil... Its not working. :lol:

Protective styles, i.e. Wraps and Bantu knot sets seem to break my hair off around the front and crown of my hair.. but thats neither here no there..

Type 4b natural here. 1.7 inches away from brastrap.

The key for me is:

less manipulation
Moisture
scalp massages
vitamins.
My trusty silk scarf
protective styles. (i have not worn my hair out since october) Its been under a wig.

I'm 4b relaxed.About 3 inches from Brastrap.No heat is what saved my hair.I always used to deep condition and wear protective styles pre-LHCF.But my hair still remained short because I was blowdrying and flat ironing once a week.I know everyone's hair is different but that is waaay too much for my hair.I now airdry and use my flat iron only for special occasions.And my hair has thanked me for it.It is the longest it has ever been even when I was natural as a child.
SInce my hair has been getting longer I also find it easier to stretch my touchups.I now go 12 weeks.

MonaLisa said:
*Mo still shocked and amazed at the lucky sylver2's ability NOT having to do this*

Me too. I'm glad that she can get away with wearing her down all the time. I'd be a bald as Kojak if I tried that. More power to you, sylver2. :)

brownhaired_bonanza said:
Me too. I'm glad that she can get away with wearing her down all the time. I'd be a bald as Kojak if I tried that. More power to you, sylver2. :)

:lachen: @ bald as Kojak!!

I have type 4b hair, and what has worked for me
What has worked for me is the following:-

1) I have kept my hair natural from nearly three years now
2) Daily rinsing
3) Putting a mixture of castor oil, wildgrowth and Surge 14 on my roots.
4) Putting my hair in mostly protective styling, like twists, flat twists, braids or cornrows etc.
5) Drinking plently of water
6) Trying to eat healthy and taking supplements when neccessary to keep my hair strong.
7) Exercising on a regular basis. I try to go for walks two hours a day. Every day.

OT: Khandi, I love that photoshoot hairstyle what did you do for that hairstyle?

KhandiB said:
Good Info Ladies..

I have type 4a hair, but my hair does not hold moisture, especially in the winter time. Maybe Im using the wrong kind of moisturizer. :wallbash: My hair is actually pretty nice and is growing well, but since it has been freezing here in Maryland lately my hair is just shedding, my scalp is always itching and dry.

Anyways, Im gonna grab a little bit of info from you all and see how it works out for me. Im thinking I need to change my deep conditioner and use a protien treatment, and get rid of my Hollywood Beauty Carrot Oil... Its not working. :lol:

Protective styles, i.e. Wraps and Bantu knot sets seem to break my hair off around the front and crown of my hair.. but thats neither here no there..

ms_kenesha said:
OT: Khandi, I love that photoshoot hairstyle what did you do for that hairstyle?

It was supposed to be a doobie, I actually went and got my hair done for the photo shoot, she relaxed me, rolled me, dried me, took the rollers out and wrapped me and when she took my hair down it was totally straight :|

and that was before I went and got my ends clipped and the chick cut my hair into an asymetrical :lol: and Im still growing it out to this day :lol:

These are the things that works for my thick type 4a hair;
1. I got knowledgeable about taking care of my hair and I reeducated myself on proper hair care and maintenance. I don't stress about my hair growing 1 inch a month etc because I know as long as I take care of it, then it will grow;)

2. I avoid heat products like blowdryers, hot irons. The only heat that I use on my hair is from my dome dryer when doing deep treatments.

3. I use products that are formulated for my hair; this means moisturizing shampoos, conditioners. I make sure that I minimize the usage of styling aides that contains petrolatums, mineral oils and drying alcohols. I use mainly natural oils and butters and my hair has strived because of this.:)

4. I shampoo or do the no-poo 3-4 times a week, it really helps soften my hair especially when it's time for a touch up. I'm 19 weeks post texturizer and you really can't tell. I am gentle with my hair especially during this time or I would get major breakage. I also do hardcore proteins like Aphogee or Emergencee on a as needed basis, when I'm not doing this then I do conditioning or moisturizing treatments.

5. I make sure that my hair is always moist and soft and the last 2 to 3 inches of my hair is ALWAYS oiled to help combat splits and breakage.

6. I make sure that I thank GOD for giving me a lovely head of hair, I appreciate what I got and I really don't dwell on what texture others have. GOD gave this hair to me for a reason and I should love what I have, I mean I could be BALD!:look:

Stylepink said:
Hey tryin':

I have 4a/b hair and what worked for me was daily rinsing and conditioner washes. It kept my hair soft so that I could extend my retouches to to about 12 to 14 weeks. I'm about 4 inches from brastrap. I started my hair growing journey November 2002. My suggestion is to find yourself a good conditioner that helps with moisture and gives you good slip. I personally love the Avlon line Keracare Humecto and thier Moisturizing Shampoo. Together they give me a good moisture balance in my hair. Good luck girl! You can do it!

By the way, when I first started on my hair journey, my hair was so broken off in the back of my head, that I could not even get enough hair to go around my curling iron. It was a complete mess! It had a dry and brittle texture and I hated it. Now, I love my hair! This forum has been very supportive and full of info. I owe my hair life to LCHF and Cathy Howse!
What protein conditioners do you use?

4b relaxed here and my 10 keys are:

1. no heat
2. no heat
3. no heat
4. oil ends daily (castor, jojoba or nexxus botanic oil spike w/few drops rosemary or ylang ylang)
5. no heat
6. diluted 'poo or condish wash
7. deep condition weekly with either protein or moisturizer or a mix up both!
8. no heat
9. no heat
10. no heat

Errr, did I mention, NO HEAT?!

I use a balance of good protien conditioners and moisturizing conditioners. Also, protective styles and stimulation to scalp using sulfur and pepperment based products really work. Once a get me camera I will take some pictures of my hair. :lachen:

Fldiva said:
Can someone explain "dusting"? Please
Dusting is when get your ends trimmed but very, very slightly. In otherwords it not consider by some beauticain as a full trim. Where I come from we call it a "sliver". Just cutting off very little of the ends. :)

4a here

1) What were the keys to your success?
Low or no heat regemin. I only use heat on occasion. Mainly to take progress pics. Protective styles and the baggie method. Co washes. Also moisture moisture and more moisture!!

2) How often did you relax and how did you prevent breakage at the demarcation while you were waiting for a touch up?
I relax every 3 to 4 months depending on how much newgrowth I have.

To keep my hair from breaking I keep it moist by doing co washes at least 2 times a weeks and apply s-curl and oils to my hair. This keeps the newgrowth soft and easier to manage. Also the longer you go in between relaxers it is key to find no manipulation hair styles.

3) Any other tips that you might like to share.

Consistency is the key. Find a regemin and stick with it. Listen to your hair's needs. Just because a product or method is working for everyone else doesn't mean it will work for you.

If your routine in working whether is be washing everyday, twice a week, or once every two weeks, stick with it!! It's your hair and you see and feel it everyday so only you know what is absolutely best for it!

Last edited:
brownhaired_bonanza said:

I'd go crazy if I had to wear protective styles. Thank goodness I don't have to. I absolutely love wearing my hair down. When I am forced to wear a ponytail or bun(like 3 times a month) it puts a major damper on my mood.
When I am in the house I keep my satin scarf on.

sylver2 said:
I'd go crazy if I had to wear protective styles. Thank goodness I don't have to. I absolutely love wearing my hair down. When I am forced to wear a ponytail or bun(like 3 times a month) it puts a major damper on my mood.
When I am in the house I keep my satin scarf on.
You are wearing your scarf over your hair while it's down, is that correct?
I've started wearing my satin scarf on around the house also, especially the last few months (I always wear one to bed).
Sylver2 - do you find that the scarf protects your hair while you are in the house? Or does it keep your hair sleek and smooth?

Isis said:
You are wearing your scarf over your hair while it's down, is that correct?
I've started wearing my satin scarf on around the house also, especially the last few months (I always wear one to bed).
Sylver2 - do you find that the scarf protects your hair while you are in the house? Or does it keep your hair sleek and smooth?

Yup, I wear my scarf while hair is down.
Both, it protects it and definately keeps my hair Sleek and Smooth. It flattens my new growth and gives me that polished look.
I also wear it to bed every single night to protect hair.
If I am in the car on the way to a club or something, scarf is on head right till I get up to club entrance..lol

sylver2 said:
Yup, I wear my scarf while hair is down.
Both, it protects it and definately keeps my hair Sleek and Smooth. It flattens my new growth and gives me that polished look.
I also wear it to bed every single night to protect hair.
If I am in the car on the way to a club or something, scarf is on head right till I get up to club entrance..lol
Hmmm.... great tips. I recently bought another extra large satin scarf that I keep in my car. Although I do not wear my hair sleek and straight like you do, I like what it does to my hair after wearing it around the house. It seems to keep the body and smoothness to my hair when I'm wearing it down in a braidout, for example. I'm going to wear a scarf around in the car too. BTW, I do love your hair! Thank you Sylver2!

Last edited:
Silver: I do the same thing. Scarf stays on 95% of time in the house, in the car, when I am visiting, when it is winter, fall and spring and unless it is a very very warm summer day in the north, and in the tropics when I am in the sun. I sleep in one every night.
I moisturize every day and especially the ends. I rotate protective styles to protect the edges and keep the fullness.
I keep a balance of moisture, protein, acid and oils.I focus on the health, strength, thickness, and texture and believe the length will follow. I do what my hair likes and not what other people think. I want what my hair wants. Hope this helps.

I understand moisture and no heat, but I am confused about less manipulation vs. protective styles. :confused: It seems like everyone considers buns, braids, twists, pony puffs, etc. to be low manipulation styles, but for me, those hairstyles require a lot of manipulation (e.g., gathering the hair together, smoothing, separating, edges stress and securing it with whatever holder). I understand why these styles are considered protective and that they prevent you from manipulating the hair during the day, but creating the style (especially when your hair in the front is shorter) and taking the style down seems very manipulative and it seems like there's always some hair lost in the process.

Isis said:
Hmmm.... great tips. I recently bought another extra large satin scarf that I keep in my car. Although I do not wear my hair sleek and straight like you do, I like what it does to my hair after wearing it around the house. It seems to keep the body and smoothness to my hair when I'm wearing it down in a braidout, for example. I'm going to wear a scarf around in the car too. BTW, I do love your hair! Thank you Sylver2!

Thanks so much :kiss:

Mahalialee4 said:
Silver: I do the same thing. Scarf stays on 95% of time in the house, in the car, when I am visiting, when it is winter, fall and spring and unless it is a very very warm summer day in the north, and in the tropics when I am in the sun. I sleep in one every night.
I moisturize every day and especially the ends. I rotate protective styles to protect the edges and keep the fullness.
I keep a balance of moisture, protein, acid and oils.I focus on the health, strength, thickness, and texture and believe the length will follow. I do what my hair likes and not what other people think. I want what my hair wants. Hope this helps.

:yep:I definately do what my hair loves.
Man..I can't stress the scarf thing enough. That is what is singlehandedley helping me stretch my relaxer.
On my fokti someone actually thought I had 3 type hair because my roots look so straight and good. I have definate 4B hair.
My Satin Scarf is my spouse right now..lol.

Back