Type 4 2005 Support Thread: What Were Your Keys to Growth?

This is a great thread!

What's worked for me:
- have been in and out of braids for most of 4 years. Removed braids in December, and putting them back in next month. Braids gave my hair a break and allowed my broken center to fill back in nicely. Also because of the braids, I only relaxed once every 3 months - 4x a year.

- shampoo 2x/week, use protein & moisturizing conditioner, and rollerset 3/4x a week.

- Unless I'm under the dryer after a rollerset, NO HEAT, period. My sister think I go overboard with this, but the result speaks for itself.

-the only time I use a comb is after shampooing; otherwise, to do a braidout or rollerset, I part hair with my fingers.

- finger comb hair after removing rollers or undoing big braids for braidouts. LEAVE HAIR ALONE after finger combed into place for the rest of the day.

- drenching hair with constant moisture, especially the (crunchy:mad: ends). I'm underprocessed, so oils and cremes (WGO and ORS Carrot & Olive Oils) that are too heavy for some work great for me.

- TAKING MY TIME when taking down box braids. Like, an entire weekend. Completely combing out and detangling before shampooing.

- satin scarf at nite.

These steps have helped my hair make a tremendous comeback from total disaster (pre LHCF) to fielding questions on whether I'm wearing a weave. I'd still be frying my hair, using mineral oil and other bad products, and wondering why my hair kept breaking, if it wasn't for you guys. :lol:

LegallySpeaking said:
I understand moisture and no heat, but I am confused about less manipulation vs. protective styles. :confused: It seems like everyone considers buns, braids, twists, pony puffs, etc. to be low manipulation styles, but for me, those hairstyles require a lot of manipulation (e.g., gathering the hair together, smoothing, separating, edges stress and securing it with whatever holder). I understand why these styles are considered protective and that they prevent you from manipulating the hair during the day, but creating the style (especially when your hair in the front is shorter) and taking the style down seems very manipulative and it seems like there's always some hair lost in the process.
You make a good point. It does take some manipulating to create these styles. For me, it's not having to comb my hair, just using my hands and fingers seems to be a lot less manipulation than before LHCF when I was frying my hair with heat. I use only safe hair accessories also so there is no pulling or stress on my hair at any time.

Perhaps it's the type of manipulation that's different - still manipulating but using hands rather than combs, brushes and heating appliances.

I went and bought a wide toothed comb to take along with me to my next visit to the salon. The next time the lady pulls that rat-tooth comb out on me i'm gonna be like: "Bam! Use this one, lady". That rat's gotta scat :lol: . For real though, that comb took more hair out of my head my previous visit than needed to come out. Never again. I'm paying her so she will use my comb.

Back