Twist for Growth Challenge (Fall 2011)

I gotta detangle tonight. I hope to retwist tomorrow. Medium ones this time. Now if I can just resist the urge to make them smaller when I retwist them in a few weeks I'll be fine.

Wore my twist out for the 2nd day. I ended up wearing a head band because the front did lay the way I wanted. But besides that it looked good.

Wanted to do my hair Saturday but that will have to hold off until Sunday. Think I'm going for medium twists but we will see.

I'm hoping to take pictures tomorrow. I feel like I don't contribute enough to this thread since I'm so used to my hair being twisted. :perplexed:

Just re-twisted in medium-large twists. I like the look since they were done on dry hair so they look nice and chunky but it won't last. Looking forward to the twist-out from these is a couple of days but I'm glad I managed to get back into twists within two days of my complete take-down.

I'm hoping to take pictures tomorrow. I feel like I don't contribute enough to this thread since I'm so used to my hair being twisted. :perplexed:

Every little bit counts. There are enough challengers that if everyone contributes just a little the thread will still be active. :yep:

I really don't feel like doing my hair today but some how I have to make it happen.
Me neither. I just finished a long detangling session about half an hour ago. I probably won't get to twist it up until tonight. I'm thinking medium to large twists with the ends set on perm rods.

Not really feeling the medium sized twists. :ohwell: I think because I didn't look in the mirror when I did them. I don't care about how the back looks, but I like the front to look neat, and it looks a mess. Later I'm gonna retwist the front.

^^I'm like that especially when my parts start looking like the outline of an M because I they are so crooked.

tumblr_lstq2vjjDs1qcn8jso1_500.jpg

The first set of medium-sized twists that I like! Usually, my twists are 1/2 to 1/3 of the size of each of these.

new twists, not sure why they look so bushy at the ends, they dont look like that in the mirror.

this is only the second time Ive done twists this small last time I think I kept them in for abt 2 weeks. Will try for that length of time again

Attachments

• DSC02038.jpg
    DSC02038.jpg
    208 KB · Views: 52
Just retwisted using healthy sexy hair pumpkin potion LI and DB coconut and Capuacu butter.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

new twists, not sure why they look so bushy at the ends, they dont look like that in the mirror.

this is only the second time Ive done twists this small last time I think I kept them in for abt 2 weeks. Will try for that length of time again

I love the fullness of them.

Ok so I owe y'all some pics. Twisted with Jamaican Mango & Lime gel
IMAG0139.jpg

IMAG0140.jpg

They don't look that cute as is, but I will pin them up/back this week and my twistout will be banging!!!

faithVA is it okay if i join??

I've been putting my hair in 12 twists and bunning for 3-4 days before washing and re-twisting since June. Today I decided to do 48 twists instead of 12 because I was inspired by this thread. It took me less than 2 hours to rinse my DC, detangle, break my hair down into 8 twists, and then turn each twist into 6 twists. I definitely could use some work on my technique, but hopefully they'll get better with time.

I plan to mostly bun my twists, but I did buy a cute silk lined beanie from etsy and I want to wear my twists down when I wear the hat.

I do have a question for the long-haired ladies that are twisting on a regular basis. How many twists are you doing? I'll be 3 years post relaxer (I BC'd last March) in 2 days and the back layers of my hair are grazing waist length. Since I'm relatively new to twisting it seems like it takes foreverrrr to get to the bottom of a twist, and my twists are relatively large. I can see myself re-twisting once a week until March or so, but next winter I might need a new plan...

Thanks for reading!

Last edited:
Ok so I owe y'all some pics. Twisted with Jamaican Mango & Lime gel

They don't look that cute as is, but I will pin them up/back this week and my twistout will be banging!!!

They look cute to me. I was getting ready to put you out with those ol big, juicy twists. :lol:

[USER=88629 said:
cch24[/USER];14396065]@faithVA is it okay if i join??

I've been putting my hair in 12 twists and bunning for 3-4 days before washing and re-twisting since June. Today I decided to do 48 twists instead of 12 because I was inspired by this thread. It took me less than 2 hours to rince my DC, detangle, break my hair down into 8 twists, and then turn each twist into 6 twists. I definitely could use some work on my technique, but hopefully they'll get better with time.

I plan to mostly bun my twists, but I did buy a cute silk lined beanie from etsy and I want to wear my twists down when I wear the hat.

I do have a question for the long-haired ladies that are twisting on a regular basis. How many twists are you doing? I'll be 3 years post relaxer (I BC'd last March) in 2 days and the back layers of my hair are grazing waist length. Since I'm relatively new to twisting it seems like it takes foreverrrr to get to the bottom of a twist, and my twists are relatively large. I can see myself re-twisting once a week until March or so, but next winter I might need a new plan...

Thanks for reading!

Welcome to the challenge. Just answer the questions in the 1st post and your are ready to go.

Honestly, though when I read your hair was grazing WL, for a moment, I started to say naw, you can't come in here. :look: Ok, I'm over my moment of jealousy :lol:

Thank you!!

Here are my answers to the questions:
Your go to twist style (alternatively braid style)- two strand twists in a bun

Your twist care regimen- previously i would shampoo and dc on tuesday, twist, and bun. and then on friday i would cowash, twist, and bun. i'm going to try to keep my twists in for week, shampoo, dc, and re-twist. we'll see.

What you hope to achieve by December- more hair at waist length!

Anything else you would like to share.- I'm hoping to pick up some twisting tips since i'm pretty new at this whole thing

Ok finished my twists. ehh, I don't like the way my twists look on stretched hair. It looks like a bad kinky twist install :ohwell: I applied oils and AVG after my leave-in which I think is not a great move for my hair. I will save the oils and butters until after my twists hang to my shoulders.

So next week going to cowash, put in my leave-in and then twist with KCCC on wet hair. And I will see how I like that.

new twists!

cleansed, dc'ed and all that.

and did twists right after rinsing my dc. used castor oil for the twists and when i was done, i smoothed some apricot oil on them. despite the shrunken-ness, these look much neater than my other sets! i think i will do them on wet/damp hair from now on instead of waiting for my hair to dry to twist.

new twists!

cleansed, dc'ed and all that.

and did twists right after rinsing my dc. used castor oil for the twists and when i was done, i smoothed some apricot oil on them. despite the shrunken-ness, these look much neater than my other sets! i think i will do them on wet/damp hair from now on instead of waiting for my hair to dry to twist.

I said the same thing. I do think they look neater.

yeah...and for me, i rinse/condition my twists about 3 times a week, so they end up shrunken anyway. haha...might as well save myself the time & trouble.

Took my twists out on Fri/Sat and did a henna treatment.

I still have not redone my twists.....
I had off today for Columbus Day and used the day to take care of errands that have been stacking up.

I just got my Jamaican black castor oil in the mail.
May start retwisting in a few minutes.

Back