Trim/dust/cut Check In

I just trimmed last night and my ends feel faboulous. Last time I trimmed was about 6 months ago so I was way overdue. I did it on stretched combed out hair. I think I prefer doing it like that as opposed to in twists. I ended up taking 1-2 inches. I'm bad at dusting as I tend to overdue it which is why I try not to trim/cut too often. I'm going to lay off of the wash and goes and direct heat for the rest of the year and use heavier oils for my ends now.

I planned a blowout and trim for tomorrow, but it is going to be raining all week :( I'm still gonna go for it.

I got my blowout at a new Dominican salon. Then I trimmed 1/2 inch to an inch in some places to clean up my layers. Today is a thickening day :)

I am in LOVE with my hair right now.

I am going to straighten and trim for the full moon this month. I am trying to restore my hair to health so I think I will take off whatever I need to cut to just maintain WL until the health of my hair really improves.

I trimmed an inch all over 2 weeks ago. So glad I did it! My curls are behaving so much better. I've seen a significant decrease in the amount of broken ends lying on the bathroom floor after I style my hair. I just need to settle on a couple of protective styles to maintain my newly healthy ends. I have a couple of wigs (like the one in my avatar) but I can only wear them for a week before throwing them back in the closet.

Straightened and trimmed last night for root work day. I reached WhL but that only lasted about 5 minutes. I cut off about 1.25" to get rid of crappy ends and did a thorough S&D through all of my layers. All in all, my hair is in better condition than I thought. Shedding is still crazy, but it didn't look as bad as it's been feeling lately.
I cut back to about where I was when I last straightened in August. I was planning to maintain at this length for a while but I think I will just continue to grow now that I see my hair isn't a super hot *** mess. I am less than 0.5" from WhL now and 1.5-2" from HL. I hope I can claim HL by my birthday in January!

My last trim was 2 days ago-- I was surprised to learn that I was BSL lol, but I had to take off about 2-3 inches since my ends were pretty raggedy (I haven't had a full trim since I first went natural 2 years ago-- I was just doing search and destroy since I couldn't find a stylist I trusted). So now I think I'm below shoulder length, which I'm pretty happy with.

Attachments

• IMG_0177.JPG
    IMG_0177.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 33
  • IMG_0175.JPG
    IMG_0175.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 33
Thank you! @Prettymetty nope I don't trust myself with scissors like that lol-- I had the stylist who flat ironed my hair do it-- and yeah it's been like 2 years since my last trim so I figured I should get a nice blunt shape while I'm straight.

Just took off a 1/2 inch today, fairly blunt past collarbone.

I hate these awful whispy layers in the front of my hair-I want perfectly even hair!! I can't wait for them to grow out but I suspect I abuse the front of my hair a lot more/it probably grows slower too.

Last trim was this past Friday 10/30. This year I wanted to stay on the trim every 3 months schedule consistently to see how it worked out. This was my 4th trim this year. I've been able to maintain the schedule because I set my next 3 month appointment up at the salon each time I went.

Last edited:
Last trim was this past Friday 10/30. This year I wanted to stay on the trim every 3 months schedule consistently to see how it worked out. This was my 4th trim this year. I've been able to maintain the schedule because I set my next 3 month appointment up at the salon each time I went.
How is your retention on this schedule? I plan on trimming every 3 months next year.

How is your retention on this schedule? I plan on trimming every 3 months next year.

So one thing I haven't been doing is "tracking" length. I decided to just let it "be" so that I didn't become overly occupied/obssesed with the idea and for it to deter me from sticking to the schedule. My stylist and I do confirm that we are doing a "maintenance" trim and the goal is to retain length.

I just went back and checked my Komaza Care analysis I did back in April where it said the length of my hair was 12 inches. I just checked the longest layer of my hair and it's still 12 inches from what I can see. So it looks like for me, by trimming every 3 months, I'm really not retaining length :(. On the flip side, my is very healthy, full, and I experience much less splits and singled strand knots that I've had in the past going longer between trims. The layers are constantly being re-shaped, so styling has been consistant and a breeze throughout the year.

I would definitely love to retain more length, so now I have to decide for 2016 how to do so while maintaining the health of my hair that I've been able to do by frequent trimming. It may be trying out a new stylist who would trim less off (maybe trying Devachan again who I feel are good with not taking off too much) or trying to spread out my trims to every 4 months instead of 3.

ETA: I actually checked another strand of hair and got 13.5 inches in length.

Last edited:
@so1913 I have done seasonal trims this year too. I am due for my last one in December. My hair is definitely healthier and my ends look amazing. My layers are slowly growing out... Next year I can focus more on growth

I dusted DD's ends today. Her hair was getting too tangly on the ends so I snipped 1/4 inch. I did a pull test and she is mbl.

I'm so ready for when I can be in this thread and just be trimming to maintain LOL. This journey has been fun albeit stressful at times, but I just wanna get there dangdabit!

Ladies please help me decide when to trim. December lengthening dates are 16-18 Wed- Fri and I'm off these days. However, the best days to trim for Winter are the 21-22 Monday, Tuesday and I work both of those days. The Winter Solstice 21-22 is a root work day meaning it will boost scalp health and improve overall growth cycle.

I don't remember my last professional trim and it's about that time. With all the bad experiences I've had with scissor happy stylist, I want to trim myself. Since I don't wear my hair straight, how straight or shapely the hair is doesn't matter much.

DUH the date is in my siggy. I need to buy the crea clip.

Last edited:
Back