Transitioning without BC'ing Support Thread

Alright ladies I think I'm ready for a sew in. I don't have much money so what's a decent brand of human hair (or blend i dont care) that doesn't cost much? And how do you take care of the hair underneath? I think I want a straight weave or the kind that can go wavy when wet...idk I've seen it on hairsisters. But my bday is Sept 1 and I want a cute style other than my braidouts but its still too hot to straighten my hair! Help me out please!!!

Harlem 125
Model Model
Black Onyx

Honestly, I think at about 15 months if your hair grows at 1/2 inch per month.

Thats exactly what I was gonna say...I have no idea how fast my hair grows but when I stopped wearing weave at 15 months post I had enough natural hair to chop and still be at shoulder length stretched and not have a twa...but Im still in the race...almost 22 months post...I think it really helps to take breaks from dealing with your hair. I wore weave from Feb-April, played in my hair a few months, then got weave again in July. I cant wait to get it trimmed and professionally straightened again...maybe in October, I dont know but Im excited! I wore microbraids for about 5 years and my hair did not grow like this!

So since no one came in to HELP me lol I bought some phony ponies and updos and will probably do one of them for my bday. Much cheaper than a wig or weave and they were very cute!

My bad!! I hadn't checked in on this thread lol. Yeah I do have Gina and I love her!!!

Attachments

• Gina.jpg
    Gina.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 30
Transitioning ladies, what leave-ins are you using after washing and daily? I have to use two different things on my different textures to get my desired softness and manageability. I tried to just use one product, but it wasn't working for me. This is what I'm doing now:

I'm using Shea Moisture Shea Butter treatment masque on my natural hair (which works really well), and I started using Aphogee Tea Tree after washing, and I use Palmer's hair milk daily. The Shea Moisture makes my relaxed hair feel hard, dry and greasy, and the Palmers is okay on my natural hair, but the hair feels really dry an hour later. :nono:

Has anyone bunned their whole transition?

I haven't bunned the whole time, but I have worn a wet bun as my style mostly for the last 3.5 months, with LFs in between when the humidity makes my hair fuzz up and no gel will lay it down. I can't be walking around looking like a little girl who was rolling on her hair with curly pieces stickin up in the front! :nono: So, since my hair just sucks up moisture in the air and reverts without a scarf being on it, I have gone back to my wigs.

The buns have been great for my hair. I just CW, pull it back with my creams, gel, and leave-ins, use an ouchless elastic or scrunchie, and braid the ends. Wrap em around and bam, there's my bun. The longer my hair gets, the more I hate these thin texlaxed ends. Won't be much longer now...I have 2-3 inches of natural hair hanging in my ponytail, with the rest texlaxed to the tips (another 8-10 inches).

I do what another poster mentioned...keep my hair hidden beneath wigs, braids, sew-ins in winter, then in Spring or early summer I let it out for a while. Right now, since it's cooling off, I've pulled out my fave wig again. :grin: Will be picking up 2 more for this winter.

I'm gonna be 14 weeks on wednesday!!!!:tantrum:

I have breakage on my edges on the left side....its chin length. The other side is shoulder length:sad:...i think its because i always have the most problems with matting and tangles on that side and it broke of as i was trying to get the mattes out on that side......i feel like shaving all my hair off.

Transitioning ladies, what leave-ins are you using after washing and daily?

I use HE LTR after cowashing and on a daily basis. But, I think I may have to use it only on my relaxed ends since it tends to stiffen my ng. Lately, I've been using Carol's Daughter's Lite Curl Booster Hair Milk whenever my hair's damp and it makes my hair feel good. So, I may just put it on my ng.

Im 23 weeks today! Im still feeling good about transitioning but I just have this urge to find out what my texture of hair will look like. I dont know why I keep obsessing about this. Right now I dont plan to cut to find out either. Ima keep going and njoy my hair!!

Im 23 wks as of this past Sunday. We're almost at 6 months. I can see my texture in some areas of my hair and I love it.

Im 23 weeks today! Im still feeling good about transitioning but I just have this urge to find out what my texture of hair will look like. I dont know why I keep obsessing about this. Right now I dont plan to cut to find out either. Ima keep going and njoy my hair!!

I'm 27 months post and about to wash, DC, detangle and re-twist my hair to go up under this wig I just made.

Keep hanging in there everyone!

I don't know how you guys bun because my hair will lift up and start looking bushy w/o my scarves. I mostly do braidouts for now.

i tried to do a braidout yesterday and got soo frustrated that i literally wanted to shaze my whole head or just bc. i've never had the urge to bc until yesterday. my braidout looked like crap and i was soo frustrated just looking at my hair. i feel like i can't do anything except bun it or blowdry and straighten it. i'm trying to limit my heat use, so bunning or ponytails is what i'm doing now. i know this feeling will pass though.

I made one year post as of Aug 14th!!! :grin: My hair is so much healthier, fuller, and shinier and transitioning is still pretty breezy. Its growing out and retaining a decent amount of length. Hoping to be inching towards SL by year end, then next year on to APL!

Now that I made it to a year, I want to play around with some different styles besides just wearing it straight and wigs. Its very short, so I don't have many options. Right now I've been on on a mission to figure out how to do a braid out and/or twist out. I think i have enough length for it to be cute, just need to figure out the right products/technique. I will still wear it straight a lot but want to have some other options to switch it up and take a break from heat. Had some kinky twists in, but I'm iffy on doing that again, some of my hair got tanlged with the braid hair, maybe I just need to find a better quality of braiding hair or a better take down technique.

I have and am. I did braided buns for two week intervals but didn't like the manipulation involved with it so I'm back to regular bunning.

It helps if you use a scarf to lay your egdes down,. I at night I have a 3 inch strip of scraf that I tie around my head. I will ususally use a little pomad of mosturized and oil before doing this. After I will either detangle and bun the back or recently I have bene doing bantou knots on the length for a little wave. I blow dry my hair with a comb attachment but I dont flat iron. It starts out a little puffy but it improves as you repeat the process.

Last edited:
Transitioning ladies, what leave-ins are you using after washing and daily?

I am still trying to find my hg transitioning leave in. Lately, I have been using watered down conditioner and sealing with oil.

I am currently doing this. This Saturday, I get braid extensions and plan on wearing much looser buns to avoid unneeded tension/stress on my strands w/the added braid hair.

Tomorrow, I will be 23 weeks post relaxer and I plan on keeping my braid extensions in for 2-3 months.

Ok I am taking the plunge after stalking ya'll transitioners for years now.

Knowing I can transition w/o going bald via BCing works for me. I am fascinated to find out what my natural can do and if it will be the same as when I was a child :) It was so lovely then...

I get impatient :perplexed and impulsive sometimes when it comes to my hair, so I hope ya'll will be there for a sistah :look:!

Congrats, Imani!

Welcome, BlackDiamond!!

I got my package of Oyin's Whipped Pudding and can I just say, "aahhhh.." It smells so good. I put some on my damp ends (from my morning co-wash) and some on my ng!! Here's hoping for the best. I do want to try their Burnt Sugar Pomade, though.

Congrats, Imani!

Welcome, BlackDiamond!!

I got my package of Oyin's Whipped Pudding and can I just say, "aahhhh.." It smells so good. I put some on my damp ends (from my morning co-wash) and some on my ng!! Here's hoping for the best. I do want to try their Burnt Sugar Pomade, though.

their burnt sugar is quite lovely!!!:lick: i need the biggest container they have!!

Back