Transitioning without BC'ing Support Thread

I let my hair air dry loose in 2 ponytails on Friday (trying to see if I have any curl)

It's kind of wavy in the back, but the front has NO pattern. I wonder if that's because I always stretch it to wear semi-sleek buns.

Anyway detangling was more work than usual, but not horrendous. Part of the reason I want to go natural is to wear wash n gos, but my hair may not like them.

I'm thinking that in December I may cut all my bonelaxed ends off. Then I'll see how much shrinkage my texlaxed really hair has. On the other hand, the last time I cut off 3 inches all at once I was traumatized a bit.

I let my hair air dry loose in 2 ponytails on Friday (trying to see if I have any curl) It's kind of wavy in the back, but the front has NO pattern. I wonder if that's because I always stretch it to wear semi-sleek buns. Anyway detangling was more work than usual, but not horrendous. Part of the reason I want to go natural is to wear wash n gos, but my hair may not like them. I'm thinking that in December I may cut all my bonelaxed ends off. Then I'll see how much shrinkage my texlaxed really hair has. On the other hand, the last time I cut off 3 inches all at once I was traumatized a bit.
I got my permed ends cut this past Saturday. I was sick of them. I got my last perm at the end of May 2013. My go to styles where braided cornrow updos no hair added. I would wear in buns when I didn't have it braided up. I got sick of not bring able to wear my hair down. So I got it cut on Saturday. I think pulling my hair back into the buns all the time has caused less curl in the front. Although today in the front I have pretty good curl definition. I maybe just leaning how to work with my hair better as the days go by.

image-3638385699.jpg

Hair today

Last edited:
I got my permed ends cut this past Saturday. I was sick of them. I got my last perm at the end of May 2013. My go to styles where braided cornrow updos no hair added. I would wear in buns when I didn't have it braided up. I got sick of not bring able to wear my hair down. So I got it cut on Saturday. I think pulling my hair back into the buns all the time has caused less curl in the front. Although today in the front I have pretty good curl definition. I maybe just leaning how to work with my hair better as the days go by. Hair today

Congrats on the fresh start!

Today makes 2 years post relaxer for me! I'm really starting to "run out" of relaxed ends in the nape area. Not sure I'll make it past February.

I think pulling my hair back into the buns all the time has caused less curl in the front.

I think this has happened to me. I just don't understand the "how" behind it. After wearing buns every day for nearly a year, my hair in the front no longer curls. It only frizzes no matter what I use on it. It's so crazy to me.

I think this has happened to me. I just don't understand the "how" behind it. After wearing buns every day for nearly a year, my hair in the front no longer curls. It only frizzes no matter what I use on it. It's so crazy to me.

I think I may have to give up sleek buns and go for messy buns. This means I'm going to look crazy until my hair is curly all the way to the bun holder. So probably a year. Sigh...

I think we just need to adjust our thinking with regards to having sleek hair all the time. Since it was my intention to go natural I'd rather have curl /texture definition in the long run over sleekness. If that makes any since. But now I'm just going to focus in on learning what works for get my most definition. I'm really not into the totally sleek look anymore any way.

I think we just need to adjust our thinking with regards to having sleek hair all the time. Since it was my intention to go natural I'd rather have curl /texture definition in the long run over sleekness. If that makes any since. But now I'm just going to focus in on learning what works for get my most definition. I'm really not into the totally sleek look anymore any way.

I agree. I don't need a totally slick bun, I haven't had them for awhile, but I don't want frizzy, fuzzy edges either. That makes me feel like I'm a little kid again.

You aren't the only one. I REALLY want to chop to APL with long layers. Im seriously over long hair :yep:.

What brought this on? Weren't you going for WL natural? LOL.

You're one of my hairinspirations so any length would look good on you, but are you over long hair because of the maintenance of it?

Well I cut it. Guess that's a mini chop. I plan to rod it and do twist outs since it's nice and even now the sets will look good image-950002934.jpg
Here it was last summer before my turrible beautician in Atl
image-3438844004.jpg
And this past spring after the beautician
image-2606276785.jpg

Last edited:
Clearly I'm not going to be satisfied till I BC. I literally started chopping mid moisturizing session. I think I took off a inch, maybe a inch in a half. I have no idea how long it is now probably BSB. I plan to Blow dry/Lightly Press my hair this weekend. If need be I'll clean it up :).

@naija24

I go through stages with my hair. One moment I want WL hair, the next I want a bob. Right now I just want to be fully natural. Transitioning is taking a LONGGGGGGGG time and I'm pretty much over it because of boredom. I planned on BC'ing in April, but I may not make it past December :yep:. I wear my hair in buns pretty much daily, so maintenance is pretty minimal. I just really want these laxed' ends gone :lachen:. Also, Thanks for your kind words :hug2:!

@pearlific1

Your hair may be similar to mine. My hair is pretty loose in the front, so wearing it in buns daily has stretched it a bit. It only waves now when wet. I was worried, but a friend of mine who transitioned told me it'll reverse itself once the laxed' ends are gone and there is no weight at the end. That gave me a bit of hope.

@CafedeBelleza

That bob is EVERYTHING! Is the front layered as well?

Last edited:
Still hanging in there going strong. I was having a hard time but I went out bought all my fave products and a few new ones and went in on my hair. Gave it everything it wanted and it was beautiful!! Not to mention easy to manage. Still some days I don't wanna be bothered then I see these cute curls and waves and I keep going. By far styling has been the worst part of this transition. I think I'm 10 months post.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20140807_084131.jpg
    ForumRunner_20140807_084131.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 56
  • ForumRunner_20140807_084140.jpg
    ForumRunner_20140807_084140.jpg
    6.5 KB · Views: 68
EnExitStageLeft no it's the typical graduated bob at the front, slightly longer. I wanted her to cut it shorter but then just let her go ahead and do her thing, there is also a bang in the front- when I fix it up nice I will post the front, I've worked out since it was cut so its in disarray right now. I went to an Indian beautician, which was a totally different experience. I think she will be my new person for when I want it straightened. She thanked me for letting her do my hair, she said she'd been doing hair for 40 years, 20 in the US, 20 in India but a lot of black women wont let her do their hair because she is not black.

Finally washed today and there's zero heat damage. Almost can't believe it...so relieved to be done with this wedding hair madness!

So I'm cutting the relaxed hair soon, by request from DH. I cut a small section earlier today, oooh weeee! :drunk:

Attachments

• 20140807_211025.jpg
    20140807_211025.jpg
    412.9 KB · Views: 98
I think it's the camera flash. All I used was my condish (Jane Carter Nutrient Replenish Conditioner) and no sealant yet. Thanks!

After getting my hair flat ironed yesterday and re-remembering how much I like smooth, silky, bouncy hair makes me question going natural.

But then when I see my potential coils, I want those too.

Maybe I can be a straight hair natural. Knowing my luck I will end up natural with heat damage and messed up coils.

Im so over my limp, thin relaxed ends. I am so ready to big chop at 45 weeks post but i want another two inches minimum...le sigh

Im getting it straightened for family pics at the end of the month after that its back to senegalese twists and wigs

I feel like such a novice compared to most of you ladies. I'm only 15 weeks post. Is anyone here along the same time line as me?

I am about 15-16 weeks post but my hair was already short so in some places I am completely natural......my relaxed ends in those other places :nono:

I agree with this completely. Fuzzy halos around your hair are cute when you have the snaggletooth and first grade photo to match. My edges better learn some decorum :lol:

I agree. I don't need a totally slick bun, I haven't had them for awhile, but I don't want frizzy, fuzzy edges either. That makes me feel like I'm a little kid again.

Back