Transitioning without BC'ing Support Thread

Wing meet @Cattypus1, @Cattypus1 meet wing :lol:.

Girl I understand the feeling :yep:. Tangling was the number 1 reason why I preferred texlaxed hair. Well, that and I loved it :lachen:.

When your hair begins to misbehave DO NOT get frustrated. I know that may be difficult, but its how I've coped. But I will admit my hair has been really kind to me thus far.

What I've been doing:

I finger detangle at pretty much every step of my regimen: Prepoo, Shampoo or co-cleanse, DC and then when I get in the shower to actually thoroughly detangle I use loads of conditioner and my 1 Dolla' Annie Jumbo Rake Comb (<-----side note: This is by far my favorite detangling comb. I have about 6 seamless ones and on wash day this is STILL the one I reach for :yep:)

I ONLY dry style. I will NEVER wet style unless I'm rollersetting. Wet styling for me is a recipe for complete and total disaster. All of my textured styles are done on air dried/stretched hair.

I lightly detangle everyday (and keep in mind that I have fine strands and my hair THRIVES off of it).

I make sure that I keep my moisture/protein balance in check (I do a reconstructive treatment twice a month). Mine is 60% moisture/40% protein.

@ScorpioLove

As for my hair, here are a few snap shots I've taken in the last few weeks. My wash day is today (or tomorrow, if I'm lazy lol), so I'll try to take some shots of it soaking wet :).

Bun: 6 3/4 months post (27 weeks)

Braidout: 6 1/2 months post (26 weeks post)

Bantu Knot Out: Roughly 7 months post (28 weeks, I did it earlier this week)

Blow Dried/Straighten hair: 6 months Post (24 weeks)

IMAG0079.jpg
IMAG0083.jpg
IMAG0086.jpg
IMAG0094.jpg
IMAG0097.jpg

HTH's :)

Cattypus1, I see ya girl! Come hang out with us and EnExitStageLeft!
I had a horrible wash day last night and wanted to throw in the towel. I'm only 9+ weeks post, but this ng is a beast. I took down my braids and I had a rough Detangling session . I did a protein treatment with Redken Extreme Strength Builder plus. Followed with a tea rinse and a moisturizing DC. Now we 're back on speaking terms:)

xu93texas Well, I'm glad you didn't give up. What did you use to detangle? Maybe you can try a oil/conditoner mix and just leave it on as a prepoo. Double whammy :yep:.

I think my mistake was not doing a thorough detangle session after taking down my braids on Tuesday. Then I got lazy and didn't wash/DC until last night. Huge mistake. I realize that I need to stay on my A game if this transition is going to be successful.

I did use an oil/conditioner mix (Tresemme Natural and grapeseed oil/coconut oil) .

xu93texas

Girl, I didn't DC about 2 weeks ago and just used SD DH in the shower for 5 minutes and worried that entire week if my hair was going to dry out :lachen:.

We both have a horrible case of hair lazy. Youre right though, if we're going to do this we have got to do it right....no half steppin'.

How does it feel. It looks beautiful both before and after.

Cattypus1 Thank you! I truly got tired of wearing my hair back like in the pic everyday. I couldn't comb my hair, only when wet and I started to feel matronly with that style day after day. My hair felt fine after the process. The stylist let me touch my hair while she was rinsing it, when she was blow drying it, basically through out the entire process. My first wash (which was last week) my hair def feels like it has something on it but the stylist said that's to be expected. It cut down my wash time significantly thought as I usually wash in 4 sections and while I still have all my kinks and coils somehow it was much all much easier to handle and blow dry. The sections of my hair that are wavy just have a slight more silky look to them, and the kinky sections are just as kinky but easier to comb. The stylist told me as you keep getting the treatment eventually your hair will stay straighter easier and the kink will be taken out some more. Cause let me tell you, I have a whole lot of texture left. Last week when I got it done I saw my edges beginning to revert a bit so I put my hair in a bun (see avatar).

Earlier today I hesistantly went to the Dominican salon for a wash and blow out. I brought all my Keracare products along with me. During the comb out with the conditioner I didn't feel much of a struggle (:pray:) and during the rollerset my roots are still very very very kinky but the stylist didn't have a hard time really getting through them, the rougher textures of my hair had a bit more struggle, but the rat tail comb really wasn't a problem at all as she sectioned and rolled my hair. The blow out was the most uncomfy part. She got my new growth straight! Next time I will tell her to only lightly blow out the roots.

But yeah, I'm relieved of not dealing with a head of matted hair. Even when I do my own hair at home, I plan to blow dry it out and then twist out/braid out/bantu knot -- I'll do this sporadically to give my hair a rest from the dominican blow drys and the flat iron. I will be using this as a regimen going forward, tweaking as necessary if I encounter breakage or thinning. My goal is to stop relaxing, not necessarily to not wear straight hair or use heat.

How do you all find the time to love on your hair so frequently? Do you feel it consumes your life? I seriously feel that way sometimes and I only wash 1x weekly. It's the day to day that eats up time - moisturizing, sealing, styling, combing, forum surfing, etc.

How do you all find the time to love on your hair so frequently? Do you feel it consumes your life? I seriously feel that way sometimes and I only wash 1x weekly. It's the day to day that eats up time - moisturizing, sealing, styling, combing, forum surfing, etc.

:lachen::lol::lachen::lol:

divachyk you're a mess! How are you going to include that as part of your weekly reggie?

EnExitStageLeft, I tried the detangling mix. Ok, so here's the pickle I'm in....I used it after shampooing but before deep conditioning because Tresemme Naturals provides my hair with a lot of slip but it doesn't do much for moisturizing. While it worked like awesomesauce for detangling and keeping my hair smooth, I still lost a ton of strands. I actually counted, something I haven't done in a very long time. There are 30 of those bad boys and I'm not even done with DCing. I wonder if I should revise this a bit since you're texlaxed and I'm relaxed. Maybe I should finger detangle only while wet and comb detangle when about 90% dry. That's when I seem to get the least amount of breakage.

Ladies, about how much do you all lose to breakage?

xu93texas I know the feeling of wanting to give up, I get there about very other day. Imma join y'all--for now. A little Kanechom, a little heat, a good trim and I'm back in the game.
EnExitStageLeft...Thanks for the wing, girl, preshadit! Imma need it cause I got a hair cut today...them raggedy-azzed ends were so jacked. The guy who cuts my hair said I have 3+ inches of NG in my crown. I think I understand my struggles a little better now...my hair definitely grows at a different rate at my crown than it does everywhere else. It seems Iike it's a whole different head of hair, not soft at all, very course...kinda evil! I've been treating my whole head the same way and I should be handling that crown with a crowbar and my edges and nape with kid gloves.
I do love this new conditioner...Kanechom mixed with Silicon. I'm still not ready to admit the T word just yet but I'm still not ready to throw in the towel on my stretch.

divachyk

30 strands?! GIRLLLLLLLLLLLL thats far less then what i lose and thats after a tea rinse :lachen:.

I shed like a cat though, so don't mind me.

I think your finger detangling idea is a good one. This way you can detangle all throughout your wash day. While prepooing, after shampoo and after DC.

and yes Forum Surfin' is LIFE for me. I missed a couple days a while back and it took me centuries to catch up :lol:

Cattypus1

I can't wait to trim. My ends are healthy, but I just like cuttin' :yep: :lachen:

I shed like a beast, too. Been working on getting that under control. I love the way my hair feels after a fresh cut. I'd probably cut even without the jacked ends. Ready for the journey...

SuchaLady said:
Yall have these wonderful action plans prepared. The only thing Im doing is wearing weave and blow-outs in between :look:

All I'm doing is flatironing and setting in between
I need a solution for when I need to start training for half marathons again

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

I wonder if you could do the DE amino acid treatment at home. Was it a long process?
I got it done at the salon. I wouldn't want to do it at home honestly, rather let a stylist do it. Many members do it at home though. It wasn't that a long process when the stylist did it but would take me longer at home.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

EnExitStageLeft, ok so..here's an update. My hair is banded for the night. It is smooth and detangled with ease. Thank you darling! Now, I just got to figure out how to control the breakage now that I know how to wash without getting excessive tangles.

Back