Transitioning without BC'ing Support Thread

Put my hair in some twist. I like them and think this will be my go to hair style. I love them it's like having straight here but without straightening

ForumRunner_20130811_112526.jpg

ForumRunner_20130811_112526.jpg

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130811_112615.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130811_112615.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 53
Somebody posted this in another thread. Here's some hair inspiration. ;)

Attachments

• image-2509011608.jpg
    image-2509011608.jpg
    352.5 KB · Views: 102
Hey everyone ! I'm not transitioning ... Yet ... But my mama is :yep: && I thought I'd come share her progress for u ladies, idk about y'all but I always looove hair pics any chance I get. Well anywho she's been transitioning for 18 months and has been heat free for the last 6.. I straightened her hair for her and gave her a trim, her progress amazes me and I hope it can be helpful to some of you :)

Hey everyone! It's 7 months later & I just straightened my moms hair again. She has not gotten a trim since the last time I gave her one in January and her ends looked great. She just celebrated bein 2 yrs natural and after last nights trim has 2in of relaxed ends left!

Pre trim:

image-2032356234.jpg

Post trim:

image-2882354884.jpg

I had some senegalese twist put in and they only lasted one week. They were slipping out left and right. Afterwards I was told my hair is too fine. This sucks cuz it sholl is hot as fish fry in Dallas. So for the first time ever I will be wearing my curls. Ill guess ill just stick to twist out since I don't know how to style hair.

Hi, all!! I would like to join. I can't believe I am even posting this.. but it just sort of happened. First time I have been 13 weeks post in 8 yrs. I was trying out some of my kids products on my hair and never realized how soft and controlled my newgrowth felt. Here is to keeping my newgrowth soft. Taking it one week at a time! Reading this thread has been so helpful. Thanks everyone.

I will try this weekend to update my fotki and take some pictures. This is just a trip for me. Last relaxer Cinco de Mayo 2013.

Hi, all!! I would like to join. I can't believe I am even posting this.. but it just sort of happened. First time I have been 13 weeks post in 8 yrs. I was trying out some of my kids products on my hair and never realized how soft and controlled my newgrowth felt. Here is to keeping my newgrowth soft. Taking it one week at a time! Reading this thread has been so helpful. Thanks everyone.

I will try this weekend to update my fotki and take some pictures. This is just a trip for me. Last relaxer Cinco de Mayo 2013.

Welcome! And good luck on your transition journey.

I am coming up on 13 weeks post myself. Welcome!

I have to take down my twists this week. I am so tempted to chop already. Gonna do a curlformer set this weekend and see how that goes.

I'm on vacation. I swear I have more hair prods than clothes in my bag! LOL

I really should have had my hair braided and wore a half wig all week but it was so hot I was afraid a wig would be too hot. Meanwhile today it's 75 degrees......can u say "mad!"

ForumRunner_20130814_133056.jpg

Well ladies I got fed up and decided to cut most of the relaxed ends off. There’s still some left because I didn't want to get scissor happy and cut too much. But i will take it, the rest of the relaxed ends will be gone soon. So here's to finally being 100% natural! I really don't want to leave this thread and plan to stay for a little bit longer being here is so helpful!

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130814_131813.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130814_131813.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 59
mz.rae

Yay!!!! Welcome to the club!!!

Stay here with us ;)

I went to visit some other NATURAL threads. I feel like an outsider. I like it here better. LOL

I'm on vacation. I swear I have more hair prods than clothes in my bag! LOL

I really should have had my hair braided and wore a half wig all week but it was so hot I was afraid a wig would be too hot. Meanwhile today it's 75 degrees......can u say "mad!"

I'm going on vacation in two weeks and will be twisting my hair to for that

Hey ladies,

I am 8 weeks post and this is my usual time to relax. However, I'm trying to avoid it for another 12 weeks or transition.

What the blazes do I do to manage this new growth? I have one inch of NG all over and due to the biotin I took for just 2 weeks it's super thick and nappy. Any suggestions? I'm considering a keratin treatment (like an express blowout to try it first) but I'm worried about putting anything unnatural on my head right now. I can't walk out of the door with this hair though. If I do relax, I can't wash my hair obviously. Hence, I'm stuck.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Hey ladies,

I am 8 weeks post and this is my usual time to relax. However, I'm trying to avoid it for another 12 weeks or transition.

What the blazes do I do to manage this new growth? I have one inch of NG all over and due to the biotin I took for just 2 weeks it's super thick and nappy. Any suggestions? I'm considering a keratin treatment (like an express blowout to try it first) but I'm worried about putting anything unnatural on my head right now. I can't walk out of the door with this hair though. If I do relax, I can't wash my hair obviously. Hence, I'm stuck.

Between 8-20 weeks post I did a lot of flexi rod sets, almost weekly. It blended the two textures pretty seamlessly with just indirect heat for a cute style, especially after the curls dropped. I upped my deep conditioning to twice a week and made sure to keep the new growth moisturized at all times. Those first few weeks past my normal relax time were scary and intimidating cause I was afraid I didn't know WTH I was doing. Once you get past that point though, everything starts to fall in place. It's not a cake walk by any means, but it does get better.

Between 8-20 weeks post I did a lot of flexi rod sets, almost weekly. It blended the two textures pretty seamlessly with just indirect heat for a cute style, especially after the curls dropped. I upped my deep conditioning to twice a week and made sure to keep the new growth moisturized at all times. Those first few weeks past my normal relax time were scary and intimidating cause I was afraid I didn't know WTH I was doing. Once you get past that point though, everything starts to fall in place. It's not a cake walk by any means, but it does get better.

Hey ladies,

I AGREE with veesweets. you should look into some styles that hide the new growth better than straight styles will.

if your relaxed hair and natural hair are totally opposite textures (ie. bone straight vs. tightly coiled) you need to try curlier styles, not straighter ones.

OR you could rollerset and flat iron your new growth....this will work for awhile until your new growth is too long to do it. but at this stage, you don't have that much new growth, so it should be a viable option.

It is 70 degrees here and my wedding anniversary~ i am going to flat iron this new hair and see what she can do!

wish me luck, ladies~

I AGREE with veesweets. you should look into some styles that hide the new growth better than straight styles will.

if your relaxed hair and natural hair are totally opposite textures (ie. bone straight vs. tightly coiled) you need to try curlier styles, not straighter ones.

OR you could rollerset and flat iron your new growth....this will work for awhile until your new growth is too long to do it. but at this stage, you don't have that much new growth, so it should be a viable option.

havilland I have so much more respect for women who transition/stretch. This is crazyland. I hear what you're saying but I look SUPER juvenile with curls. I never liked them on my head. I'm 25 now so I really want to look my age, ya know? Maybe if I had hair as long as some other ladies on the forum, I'd feel better rocking some loose curls or waves.

This is the amount of new growth I have after 2 months.
8-15-13+natural+hair+8+weeks+post2.png

I don't know how I'm going to last another 4 months without some kind of heat/chemical straightening.

havilland I have so much more respect for women who transition/stretch. This is crazyland. I hear what you're saying but I look SUPER juvenile with curls. I never liked them on my head. I'm 25 now so I really want to look my age, ya know? Maybe if I had hair as long as some other ladies on the forum, I'd feel better rocking some loose curls or waves.

This is the amount of new growth I have after 2 months.

I don't know how I'm going to last another 4 months without some kind of heat/chemical straightening.

I FEEL U! I hate curly rod/roller styles too. I look like poodle....and not a cute one! LOL

I didn't wear Curls for my entire transition. But I had a different option available to me because I transitioned to texlaxed hair in 2007. So my new growth and texlaxed hair were not the different looking. The two textures acted totally different but the look was similar. So I could make the two blend much easier.

I would suggest u press or flat iron the roots until it gets a little longer. As long as u keep the heat OFF the chemically processed hair. Roller set or wrap and then apply heat protectant and touch up the roots. Wrap at night with a silk scarf and go.

Also make sure u keep up your deep conditioning!

Don't be fooled, transitioning without chopping is a big commitment. For two years i was ready to jump off a roof almost every wash day. But today I was driving around with my freshly flat ironed all natural hair blowing in the non-humid wind and I was singing "I love MY hair!!!!" ;)

My first 99%natural flat iron! Yay! The edges don't hold up at all. But oh well, I can't be bothered with trying to keep them straight.

My hair is so soft and so fine, I'm lucky it holds any straightness at all.

I prepooed overnight with Njoy's hair oil and Jardin Green Leaf? oil (i forget the real name. It's by Hairveda).
Then clarified with Tresemme deep cleansing shampoo (my fav! it's so gentle!).
I deep conditioned with light protein (Hairveda MoisturePro) for about an hour.
Applied Garnier anti frizz milk.
Blow dried and flat ironed on 375•

I trimmed another inch off. And will probably cut 2-3 more before the end of the year just to strengthen my ends. I see that this length (BSB) is as short as I can stand as a natural. The shrinkage is just too much for me. I could stand a good trim, but my hair-orexia won't let me go any shorter than this. The length with a 2-3 inch trim would be ok when straight but when curly (which is how unusually wear it) it's WAY TOO SHORT.

I also measured my hair for the first time ever. From crown to it's longest tip it's 17.5 inches. :yep:

Attachments

• image-3072546931.jpg
    image-3072546931.jpg
    308.2 KB · Views: 94
  • image-3658609408.jpg
    image-3658609408.jpg
    351.6 KB · Views: 81
  • image-3820491785.jpg
    image-3820491785.jpg
    460.9 KB · Views: 91
  • image-3811550948.jpg
    image-3811550948.jpg
    365.1 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:
My first 99%natural flat iron! Yay! The edges don't hold up at all. But oh well, I can't be bothered with trying to keep them straight.

My hair is so soft and so fine, I'm lucky it holds any straightness at all.

I prepooed overnight with Njoy's hair oil and Jardin Green Leaf? oil (i forget the real name. It's by Hairveda).
Then clarified with Tresemme deep cleansing shampoo (my fav! it's so gentle!).
I deep conditioned with light protein (Hairveda MoisturePro) for about an hour.
Applied Garnier anti frizz milk.
Blow dried and flat ironed on 375•

I trimmed another inch off. And will probably cut 2-3 more before the end of the year just to strengthen my ends. I see that this length (BSB) is as short as I can stand as a natural. The shrinkage is just too much for me. I could stand a good trim, but my hair-orexia won't let me go any shorter than this. The length with a 2-3 inch trim would be ok when straight but when curly (which is how unusually wear it) it's WAY TOO SHORT.

I also measured my hair for the first time ever. From crown to it's longest tip it's 17.5 inches. :yep:

Love your hair Havilland! It looks really nice!

Ladies, Here is some proof the "LTT" can be done.

My goal when I started the long term transition was to keep my length. I THOUGHT I lost some length. But I didn't lose ANY.

I was able to slowly trim away the chemically treated hair and maintain almost the exact same length!

Here is my hair almost a year ago half texlaxed/half natural. And the second picture is my hair yesterday all natural.

Attachments

• image-833398022.jpg
    image-833398022.jpg
    328.5 KB · Views: 76
  • image-2361305369.jpg
    image-2361305369.jpg
    351.6 KB · Views: 63
The hardest part for me is thinking of hair styles. I don't like Afros and I don't like to pull my hair all the way back (I have a face that looks good with hair framing it). I'll do faux side bangs and a bum but... I get tired of it.

The hardest part for me is thinking of hair styles. I don't like Afros and I don't like to pull my hair all the way back (I have a face that looks good with hair framing it). I'll do faux side bangs and a bum but... I get tired of it.

I know. The hairstyle thing is a big obstacle. At least it was for me. All I did was buns and ponytails.

I know other women do curl formers and braidouts and twist outs and get really creative. None of that worked for me.

When I got bored I wore half wigs. That was my way out of being bored.

I just decided that I cared more about keeping my hair and transitioning than I did about being creative with styles. (Which wasn't always fun but it paid off in the end.)

To me transitioning and trying to have alot of style variation is like being on a diet. You have to choose, do I want to eat this cake? Or fit in my jeans? Can't have both..... At least I couldn't. My hair wouldn't let me.

Back