Transitioning without BC'ing Support Thread

Thanks Dayjoy! There are some parts that I'm still learning to work with(mainly the top half :lol: ) but I'm grateful for all the SSKs, kinks, naps, frizz, spirals, crimps, whatever.

Love your hair, makes me want to go chop off my hair. How long were you transitioning?

sent from my galaxy

Love your hair, makes me want to go chop off my hair. How long were you transitioning?

sent from my galaxy
Thanks Rae81!

I transitioned for 18 months. I started snipping here and there and by the 17th month I had snipped most of it off. I saved whatever little straggly relaxed hair that was left to chop for the 18th month.

daviine your hair looks absolutely beautiful! It's sooo thick and pretty! How did u style ur hair mostly throughout ur transition? U hv a good amt of length too- enough to do nice twist outs.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Thanks Rae81!

I transitioned for 18 months. I started snipping here and there and by the 17th month I had snipped most of it off. I saved whatever little straggly relaxed hair that was left to chop for the 18th month.

That's 18 months (plus 3 weeks?) of new growth?!?! Now I'm REALLY excited. When I cut in two weeks I'LL be 18 months, 3 weeks! I HOPE I have near that much length.

ETA Ok. I see you BCed last month. :look: STILL EXCITED!

Last edited:
daviine your hair looks absolutely beautiful! It's sooo thick and pretty! How did u style ur hair mostly throughout ur transition? U hv a good amt of length too- enough to do nice twist outs.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Thank you so much Brittster. At first I tried braidouts but that was way too much manipulation so I gave that ish up quickly. I only wore twistouts and braidouts if I was going out but since they're unpredictable, that usually resulted in a half-up, half-down style.

I basically wore my hair in a bun. I'm a minimalist.

That's 18 months (plus 3 weeks?) of new growth?!?! Now I'm REALLY excited. When I cut in two weeks I'LL be 18 months, 3 weeks! I HOPE I have near that much length.

ETA Ok. I see you BCed last month. :look: STILL EXCITED!

The first three pics are on the actual bc day and the last pic is from this weekend. It doesn't feel like a lot but I'm glad you're excited about it--now I am too. :lol:

I'm going to edit my siggy and add my BC date--I forgot to do that.

Side note: I went to a party this weekend and saw some family members that haven't seen me for a while. They didn't even comment on the fact that I was natural but that my hair was short. :look: Okay. :lol:

I reached 9 months post on 6/1/13! I'm so happy about this milestone because I've tried transitioning twice before (since 2010) and I could NEVER make it past the 8 month mark. I would always go back to a relaxer because I didn't know what to do with my hair and my NG was so unmanageable. But now, I'm feeling super confident that I can do this for the long haul.

I've found my staple products and I've simplified my regimen so it doesn't take all weekend to do my hair. I'm thoroughly enjoying this journey so far and I definitely think I'll be sticking with it looooong term. :yep:

P.S. My transitioning goal is at least 2 years (maybe longer).

Hi everyone!! I just subscribed to this site and have been wanting to contribute to this thread for so long!! I am currently 19 in a half months in my transitioning and just had some box braids put into my hair a few weeks ago. I plan on cutting the rest of the relaxed ends off once I get these braids taken out. I really excited to be apart of this site now!!

Hi, I believe this is my first post to this thread. I have been contemplating transitioning for the longest. Today makes 20 weeks 4 days post relaxer. So I think I am transitioning. Hopefully I can deal with these two textures. If I cannot deal with it, I will texlax but I really wanna give this a real shot.

I got fed up with wearing my hair in a bun so i straightened. my hair was so silky and straight but when i was ready to leave the house it started to puff up terribly. I didn't want all of the time i wasted straightening my hair to go to waste but i just dont have the zest for hair care like i used to. so i wet it up in sections and cut off my relaxed ends. I hate the short look but im hoping that this will make things easier for me. I also need to start putting a dent in my stash.

here is a lazy pic of m dry hair
f2ls7k.jpg

Last edited:
I got fed up with wearing my hair in a bun so i straightened. my hair was so silky and straight but when i was ready to leave the house it started to puff up terribly. I didn't want all of the time i wasted straightening my hair to go to waste but i just dont have the zest for hair care like i used to. so i wet it up in sections and cut off my relaxed ends. I hate the short look but im hoping that this will make things easier for me. I also need to start putting a dent in my stash.

Your hair looks so pretty! Does it have any product on it? It's so shiny-- mine tends to dry looking dusty...

Your hair looks so pretty! Does it have any product on it? It's so shiny-- mine tends to dry looking dusty...

thanks! yes it has "kismera energizing leave in" in it. I really like this product. it made my hair so straight and silky like i got it done at the salon when i flat ironed with it. plus it defines my curls and makes it shine like crazy. It doesnt feel greasy or crunchy to the touch either. I bought the liter size and im glad i did:yep:

thanks! yes it has "kismera energizing leave in" in it. I really like this product. it made my hair so straight and silky like i got it done at the salon when i flat ironed with it. plus it defines my curls and makes it shine like crazy. It doesnt feel greasy or crunchy to the touch either. I bought the liter size and im glad i did:yep:

Where did you buy Kismera? Your hair is gorgeous!

Where did you buy Kismera? Your hair is gorgeous!

i bought this particular product on ebay. it was like $33 with free shipping. if i wanted to i could just use this leave in and a moisturizing shampoo and be good.

i love trying new things to much though.

I also buy kismera products in the beauty supply store, they are usually cheaper except when it comes to the liter sizes.so far pretty much every product i have bought from this line has been worth the money.

:congrats: Napp! Nobody has said it, but this was your BC, right? And thanks for telling us about Kismera. I'm definitely going to the BSS to look for this.

:congrats: Napp! Nobody has said it, but this was your BC, right? And thanks for telling us about Kismera. I'm definitely going to the BSS to look for this.

Yes this was my real BC:grin: with all of the cutting i have been doing though i didnt have to cut off that much hair. i was practically holding on to a few strands of hair:lachen:

so far with day 2 hair my hair isnt as shiny but it is still very defined. I dont even need to wash my hair again. i just put it in a puff. my hair is still soft too.

2vtr6mr.jpg

Yes this was my real BC:grin: with all of the cutting i have been doing though i didnt have to cut off that much hair. i was practically holding on to a few strands of hair:lachen:

so far with day 2 hair my hair isnt as shiny but it is still very defined. I dont even need to wash my hair again. i just put it in a puff. my hair is still soft too.

Napp Congrats on your BC! I thought I might have missed out on something. Again, your hair is beautiful!!!!

Are you going to be a straight-haired natural?

Napp Congrats on your BC! I thought I might have missed out on something. Again, your hair is beautiful!!!!

Are you going to be a straight-haired natural?

i am not going to be a 100% straight haired natural but i will straighten regularly. or i might do the straight in the winter curly in the summer thing.

Pretty! Congrats again! Your hair is too cute!:)

Hi everyone
It's my first time posting in this thread and I'm a long time-transitioner!

Anyone here afraid that they might hate their hair after the long and ardous transitioning journey?

I keep watching these big chop videos on youtube and just hope my experience is just as magical

I've been transitioning for 13 months

Postal you are not alone. Although some may not speak their apprehension out loud, trust, you are not alone! Good for you for keeping it 100! I am concerned that I won't be able to manage the texture into nice styles, concerned with breakage, concerned with my curls not clumping, concerned about teeny tiny curls that will look like an Afro (not the look I'm going for), concerned about shrinkage, concerned about heat damage if I try to flat iron for a change here and there...just concerned. That's why I'm not BCing. I want the full time to experiment and figure my hair out while I still have some length. I have to admit, I am enjoying the journey for the most part, but if I could surrender the "what ifs" I would be much happier. This time is definitely teaching patience, how to properly care for my hair and to love natural hair. I love to feel the texture when I cowash, just not sure how to keep that same texture when dry. Time will tell. I am 6.5 months in so you are much further along than I am. I catch myself staring at and being distracted by other women I see in the world with natural hair. Most times they are so excited that someone noticed, complimented them and willing to share their story and regi. I am going for a 2 yr transition. We shall see!

Hi everyone
It's my first time posting in this thread and I'm a long time-transitioner!

Anyone here afraid that they might hate their hair after the long and ardous transitioning journey?

I keep watching these big chop videos on youtube and just hope my experience is just as magical

I've been transitioning for 13 months

Heck yeah! I think everyone is different. But when I first started transitioning I was VERY APPREHENSIVE.

Now I'm almost two years in and I hve more natural hair than relaxed. So I know what my hair will essentially look like And I'm ok with it. But in the beginning I was scared of how I would look and how I would deal with my hair. I was scared of everything.

So I think when I do take these braids out near the end of the month I will be cutting off the rest of the relaxed ends. I don't know I keep going back and forth with the idea, I just know I'm itching to do some wash & Go's. My two year mark isn't till October 15th and by then it will probably start to get too cold to do WnGs. =/

f2ls7k.jpg

Congrats Napp!!! Your hair is so pretty!

Back