Transitioners support thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Bublnbrnsuga
  • Start date Start date
The 13th brought me to the official 10 month mark. I've learned a few things; a) I no longer like the look of relaxed (texlaxed 4 me) hair. I like my hair big and fluffy. I feel like a wet cat whenever I flat iron. b) I love my texture! Well, most of it. Still trying to love my nape. c) I really dig the comments and compliments on my hair and all the funky ways I wear it. Its fun experimenting with different styles! I still don't plan on BCing a damn thang. Still taking it 1 day at a time, will re-evaluate @ 12 mos or WL, whichever occurs first.

Hey ladies!

I've been transitioning since February. This is my 3rd attempt :( So far I've done well. I did a mini chop. I cut my brastrap length hair to right below my chin a few months ago.

I've been lurking FOREVER and I'm hoping to get some support this go 'round. Maybe I'll actually go completely natural this time. Thanks so much for sharing info here.

Cryssy

Hey ladies!

I've been transitioning since February. This is my 3rd attempt :( So far I've done well. I did a mini chop. I cut my brastrap length hair to right below my chin a few months ago.

I've been lurking FOREVER and I'm hoping to get some support this go 'round. Maybe I'll actually go completely natural this time. Thanks so much for sharing info here.

Cryssy

Welcome to the thread :grin:. We're all here to help each other so just pop in when you feel the need for inspiration, motivation, and/or ideas :yep:.

hi, all!

today i went to the salon for a flatiron....and i got 3 inches wacked from my hair! 5 on my left side :ohwell: go figure - it's not even close to being even...what tha??

tha backstory my reggie..
yesterday i applied a new product rusk smoothing leave-in and used it after my caramel treatment. i put my hair in 6 ponies and used smb on each one then sprayed a little silk elements heat protectant for good measure...i had to do this prior to going to the salon, bcs u know dominicans, they don't like using product before styling...well, i for sure knew i was gonna get silken hair and lo and behold, my hair was not as silky straight as it usually is. i wouldn't say silky at all...my stylist usually uses a rusk flatiron, this time she used chi turbo..didn't seem as hot as usual, either. i was a little disappointed bcs i really expected shiny, blingin' hair :perplexed.

i mean, it is full and thick....which is saying alot bcs a month ago i wanted to bc about 7 inches...usually i have coconut oil remaining in my hair from my dc, this time i didn't...the rusk product seemed to soak it up. so i don't know what gives??

yes, i'm disappointed with my unintentional asymetric cut, but quite honestly, i never would have the guts to ask someone to cut this much, i'd already trimmed 1 1/2 yesterday, so really, i've gotten 5 or 6 inches in 2 days - lopped off....so instead of being bsl inching to mbl, i am back at apl...but at least i'm looking thicker...i'm looking to regain bsl by the end of october...think i can do it?

so, i've wrapped my hair and trying to NOT use growth aids for a couple of days, so my style will last a minute...i'm thinking of going 2 weeks without a cowash, i'm not sure if that will wreck - things i'd like to get my hair flatironed weekly, but i don't want to cause damage...my hair seemed to really do well with coconut oil before flatironing, but i keep hearing that is like frying your hair, but it didn't seem to hurt...i had no shedding or breakage...

what do you think ladies, should i be more upset than i am?

Helloooooooo!

Ive been lurking for about 4 years and I finally decided to subscribe. Ive been Transitioning since February this is the 2nd time (last time I got to 6 months and broke down and got a perm man i wish i hadn't....... :oops: ). I had full and healthy relaxed hair but I wanted a change and i LOOVVE big hair. So here I am raging war against these two textures on my head and believe me I WILL have peace :brucelee:!!

Right now I am trying to find Protective styles for shoulder lenght hair. Anyone have any suggestions??

*~VoyagetoME~*

hi, all!

today i went to the salon for a flatiron....and i got 3 inches wacked from my hair! 5 on my left side :ohwell: go figure - it's not even close to being even...what tha??

tha backstory my reggie..
yesterday i applied a new product rusk smoothing leave-in and used it after my caramel treatment. i put my hair in 6 ponies and used smb on each one then sprayed a little silk elements heat protectant for good measure...i had to do this prior to going to the salon, bcs u know dominicans, they don't like using product before styling...well, i for sure knew i was gonna get silken hair and lo and behold, my hair was not as silky straight as it usually is. i wouldn't say silky at all...my stylist usually uses a rusk flatiron, this time she used chi turbo..didn't seem as hot as usual, either. i was a little disappointed bcs i really expected shiny, blingin' hair :perplexed.

i mean, it is full and thick....which is saying alot bcs a month ago i wanted to bc about 7 inches...usually i have coconut oil remaining in my hair from my dc, this time i didn't...the rusk product seemed to soak it up. so i don't know what gives??

yes, i'm disappointed with my unintentional asymetric cut, but quite honestly, i never would have the guts to ask someone to cut this much, i'd already trimmed 1 1/2 yesterday, so really, i've gotten 5 or 6 inches in 2 days - lopped off....so instead of being bsl inching to mbl, i am back at apl...but at least i'm looking thicker...i'm looking to regain bsl by the end of october...think i can do it?

so, i've wrapped my hair and trying to NOT use growth aids for a couple of days, so my style will last a minute...i'm thinking of going 2 weeks without a cowash, i'm not sure if that will wreck - things i'd like to get my hair flatironed weekly, but i don't want to cause damage...my hair seemed to really do well with coconut oil before flatironing, but i keep hearing that is like frying your hair, but it didn't seem to hurt...i had no shedding or breakage...

what do you think ladies, should i be more upset than i am?

You can be as upset as you like but it's not going to change the fact that you cut your hair.
Move on and brush it off, it's just hair and it will definitely grow. You know that already. :yep:

Helloooooooo!

Ive been lurking for about 4 years and I finally decided to subscribe. Ive been Transitioning since February this is the 2nd time (last time I got to 6 months and broke down and got a perm man i wish i hadn't....... :oops: ). I had full and healthy relaxed hair but I wanted a change and i LOOVVE big hair. So here I am raging war against these two textures on my head and believe me I WILL have peace :brucelee:!!

Right now I am trying to find Protective styles for shoulder lenght hair. Anyone have any suggestions??

*~VoyagetoME~*

Lurking for 4 years!?!? I think yo need an award :drunk:

I have close to APL length and buns have been doing the trick for me while transitioning and I'm still rocking it. I guess it all depends on how much time you are willing to spend on your hair. I'm lazy that's why I wear buns.
But you can flat iron, rollerset, bantu knot, wear twist, wigs, weaves, braids. There are endless posibilities!
Good luck with your transition!

Hello ladies!

I've been using Shea Butter in both my 18 month post hair and my daughters natural hair. Some wonderful person here (can't remember who) told me about it. It does help. Detangling was a big problem for me too. Washing our hair in ponytail sections helps a lot! I can't braid my sections though because they tangle worse. I use the butter on wet/damp hair.

sorry to jump off topic...(but I am reading this from the beginning).....the way you blotted out your photo looks like I have an ink spot on my screen....
[its post number 1364]

Guys, I think I'm going to have my husband cut my hair tomorrow. If I can get him to do it anyway. He kind of mubbled and kept putting his fishing stuff away when I asked him. Also, he knows it's my cycle and I do drastic things that I'm too chicken to do otherwise during that time.

I had co-washed today and dc'd with MT and coconut oil. When I rinsed it out and was rubbing in my moisturizing leave-in I couldn't keep my hands out of my NG.

I didn't want to braid it or twist or nothing. I just wanted to keep pulling the springs on my nape.

Soooooo......

I clipped a few hairs in the front and on the side 'to measure' I said. 3.5 inches of NG since relaxing in January. That's 1/3 of an inch a month. I ain't tripping.

Whatever, scalp, whatever.:cry4:

I had to MAKE myself put those darn sewing scissors down and wait to go buy a new pair of hair shears. My hair is coily and shiny and healthy and I'm just ready to do it. I've found the perfect protein, moisture mix for my NG but it's making my relaxed hair stringy and hard. My relaxed ends are just sliding off at the line of demarcation and frankly, it looks wack. No white bulbs just straight, stringy hair in the comb.

I'm done. Finito. El fin. Ba-bye.:dead::thatsall:

I'll post pics when I'm done.

Hey ladies :wave:

I've been relaxing my hair for over 10 years, and I've transitioned once before but caved in to the creamy crack :spinning: This time, I'm going to transition and for real this time!

Right now I'm 4 weeks post-relaxer. My question is, do you ladies have any ideas of good shampoos and deep conditioners that are sulfate-free, alcohol-free and cones-free as well as REALLY moisturizing?

I haven't treid any of these products yet but I know of Burt's Bees, Alba products (some have silicone) and some of the Avalon Organics (I've found silicone is some also)....I seeking out the same products to....

Ive heard a few people taking about Blended beauty its supposed to be really moisturizing.

From quickly glancing at the ingrediants it looks like most of their products are sulfate-free, paraben-free, and cone-free.

Checking in!! Hey!!

I'm in my 22nd month of transitioning. The closer I get to two years, the more I'm like "What's the point?" I'm ready to cut the ends and be natural already.

RIght now, my hair is collar bone length unstretched. I haven't straightened since April, but when I wash my hair, it's just below APL. I figure if I cut the relaxed ends off, baby my hair through the fall, winter and spring, by summer, I should be BSL all over.

I seem to be retaining length despite the infrequent DCs and no trims this whole summer...I've relied on wash n gos and daily co-washes since April

I love you's guys in this thread but I gotta let you go. I officially bc'd. I couldn't take it anymore. My line of demarcation looked like the rocky mountains, ridges and all.
BCbackofthehead.jpg
Back of my big ole head

BCHairline2.jpg
My sad hairline filling in

BCNeck.jpg
Beady Beads. Love 'em

BCtopofthehead.jpg
Thin up top but filling in. :bouncy:

See you guys on the other side. Holla!

I'm off to figure out whether I'm 4a or 4b.:ohwell:

Thanks MissNorway. I think your new growth needs the award! :clapping: What have you been using to moisturize your hair?

Thank you so much girlie!!

I co-wash every single day without exception, sometimes even twice.
I love water lol.
I use natural butters mainly Hempseed Butter, it's very moisturizing and its it a little sticky, it holds the hair in place too and define curls. I highly recommend it!

You go, girl! I love them beads! Your hair looks good, a 4a, to me...c ya on the flip side!!!

I love you's guys in this thread but I gotta let you go. I officially bc'd. I couldn't take it anymore. My line of demarcation looked like the rocky mountains, ridges and all.
BCbackofthehead.jpg
Back of my big ole head

BCHairline2.jpg
My sad hairline filling in

BCNeck.jpg
Beady Beads. Love 'em

BCtopofthehead.jpg
Thin up top but filling in. :bouncy:

See you guys on the other side. Holla!

I'm off to figure out whether I'm 4a or 4b.:ohwell:

I love water lol.
I use natural butters mainly Hempseed Butter, it's very moisturizing and its it a little sticky, it holds the hair in place too and define curls. I highly recommend it!

Hey MissNorway! Okay when you co wash every day what do you do with your hair? I just been puttin it in a ponytail. Is there anything else I could do?

Hey MissNorway! Okay when you co wash every day what do you do with your hair? I just been puttin it in a ponytail. Is there anything else I could do?

Yes, definitely!
I don't though because I can't go more than a couple of days without washing my hair and spending 3 hours every three days doing my hair is not going to happen. Besides I'm baby-ing my ends.
I just put my hair back in a bun, like this:
IMG_2740.jpg

I'm in it for tha long haul (transition) so I'm making sure my hair does not get heat damage or that my ends suffer too much. I can't wear anything attached to me, like false nails or hair, it drives me nuts. Therefore I can't hide my hair under false hair. Nothing wrong with it, i just can't do it.
Ther are tons of things you can do with your hair while transitioning, it all depends how much time you are willing to invest in it.
Braids, twists, roller stes, flatiron/press, corn rows, weave, or just put it up in a bun :drunk:

I make sure I have on some banging earring and that my make-up is always on point. To me it kind of steals the attention away from that frumpy hideous bun lol (it's not really hideous, I'm just tired of it after wearing it exclusively for a whole year).
Anyway, I ramble... It is all up to you what you feel like and how much time you feel like spending on your hair. I suggest you go look at the other transitioning ladies' Fotki's for inspiration.

Hope that helps!

I'm about to be 7 months into my transition and I'm really tempted to cut off the sickly looking relaxed ends that keep tangling with my natural hair. I have about 4 inches of new growth at the moment and I'm less certain of how to style it.....My hair 4a/b hair is very dense and doesn't seem to want to lay down. Its getting kind of frustrating

I'm about to be 7 months into my transition and I'm really tempted to cut off the sickly looking relaxed ends that keep tangling with my natural hair. I have about 4 inches of new growth at the moment and I'm less certain of how to style it.....My hair 4a/b hair is very dense and doesn't seem to want to lay down. Its getting kind of frustrating
That's my main problem with styling - getting my hair to lay down. I've been wearing twistouts. Sometimes at night I spray water on the top of my head or use a lot of moisturizer on my new growth right before I tie my scarf on and go to bed....that helps to lay my hair down for a while after I get up in the morning, but it puffs back up later.

I love water lol.

Thats sounds right up my alley. All of my friends think im nuts for washing my hair everyday but my hair and I LOVE it. :grin: Where do you buy Hempseed butter? and is there a specific kind?

Checking in. I am still hanging in here. It will be a year in October. Now the winter is coming up I am not sure just how I will manage. I will be able to enjoy a blow out maybe once a month or so but I am so addicted to co-washing I don't know how I will make it. I have been trimming like every 6-8 weeks which has really helped me get rid of some of the relaxed ends. I just got a denman brush and I love it. I don't know what I was doing without one.

I decided to do my BC next weekend. I'll be 21 weeks post relaxer. My initial plan was to wait until after I graduate in December but I can't take it anymore! I'd also really like to have short hair for a while since I never have before.

I am just checking in. I am only 4 weeks post this time. SO I am starting over again. I had convinced my self that I would be happy texlaxed but I'm not so here I go again.....pray for me, I am tired of starting over ughh

Back