Transitioners support thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Bublnbrnsuga
  • Start date Start date
I'm on my second year!
I had my 1 year anniversary yesterday and I posted a thread but no one seemed to care.
Anyway, since I'm transitioning, I thought I'd let my Transitioning Sisters know.
I posted a few new pics in my Fotki so feel free to visit.

Hope you ladies' journey is going beautifully!

Hey you! Welcome :drunk:

Hi ladies,

This is my very first post and I'm just delighted to have found this site. I've been lurking for a little while now and am so excited about the wealth of information that I've received from LHCF thus far!

I decided a few months ago that I wanted to start transitioning... I'd go a week past touch-up time, and then sadly and impatiently dash out and get my relaxer. Not this time. I think I'm ready this time. Normally I relax every 5 weeks. I'm proud to say that I'm 8 weeks post relaxer this week (don't laugh, this is HUGE for me!) I'm a little older than most of you ladies i think, and when I started seeing the random gray hairs coming in, i thought hmmmm.... I'm not ready to go out like this just yet... can't color AND perm, LOOOOOOOOVE the beautiful natural ladies I keep seeing here, hence, time to let the relaxer go!

So, just wanted to introduce myself to you all and say thanks for all the great info and support that I've found here!

Kim

I'm on my second year!
I had my 1 year anniversary yesterday and I posted a thread but no one seemed to care.
Anyway, since I'm transitioning, I thought I'd let my Transitioning Sisters know.

:lachen:That was funny! I cared!

I stalked your fotki and you gave me inspiration to keep stretching and try to transition. I meant to ask you how you do your buns. My roots are out of control and when i pull it back in a pony i still look like Linda Evans. I've been rollersetting.

What do u use to wet bun? My naps just wont lay down.

I'm on my second year!

Great progress :yep:!

Yesterday marked 11 mos for me. I'm so excited!

My hair is growing really slowly in the front. My edges right now look so sparse and see through. Anyone have any tips on that? Right now it seems to be at the in between stage where its a little too short to plaster down with a gel or butter

My hair is growing really slowly in the front. My edges right now look so sparse and see through. Anyone have any tips on that? Right now it seems to be at the in between stage where its a little too short to plaster down with a gel or butter

Me too! My edges are so raggedy but you would never guess that there was a forest of NG beyond that point. I really don't want to go back to MTG. Question - does anyone still use boundless tresses?

I still have a little bit of BT left. I have some Elasta QP too, but because I'm not cowashing right now, I can't use it. :nono:

BUT, I did find out some things yesterday.

- For clarifying, ACV just does NOT do the job for me. I wound up using CON Neutralizing Shampoo and it got the job done. My hair and scalp feels really clean.
- Nasaab's Shea Butter makes detangling easy breezy and beautiful!!! I'm over 7 months post and I was able to run my Denman through it with ease. Definitely my new staple.
- Finally trimmed my hair after almost 2 years of no trims (you read that correctly).
- I love my SeDu, I don't know what I would do without it. Until I'm fully natural, I'll be flat ironing.

Here's how it turned out after my trim:
ehbqsp.jpg

I'm on my second year!

We Care, MissNorway~ Congrats on your milestone, you have inspired us all and you are making awesome progress...see ya got some luv...:yep:

i must admit. i'm a little disappointed that my hair looks so thin. this is not what i expected. i know i'm nursing my hair back to health and all, but i really expected massively big hair! i mean, i'm 10 months post, already! geez. yes, my hair used to be truly texas large, where many thought i donned wigs on a yearly basis, like e-v-e-r-y-day for years...go figure...

anyhoo, my hair is still see-through...i know it's only temporary and i have alot of great progress, for one, i'm keeping hair on my head for the first time in years!!! NO exaggeration, there, but the whole thin hair thing does kinda trip me up sometimes, then i shake, shake, shake, shake, shake it off....

maybe i should stop flat ironing for a few months (or try to) and see what happens? do you guys think that would make a difference?

nice. very nice.

I still have a little bit of BT left. I have some Elasta QP too, but because I'm not cowashing right now, I can't use it. :nono:

BUT, I did find out some things yesterday.

- For clarifying, ACV just does NOT do the job for me. I wound up using CON Neutralizing Shampoo and it got the job done. My hair and scalp feels really clean.
- Nasaab's Shea Butter makes detangling easy breezy and beautiful!!! I'm over 7 months post and I was able to run my Denman through it with ease. Definitely my new staple.
- Finally trimmed my hair after almost 2 years of no trims (you read that correctly).
- I love my SeDu, I don't know what I would do without it. Until I'm fully natural, I'll be flat ironing.

Here's how it turned out after my trim:
ehbqsp.jpg

:lachen:That was funny! I cared!

I stalked your fotki and you gave me inspiration to keep stretching and try to transition. I meant to ask you how you do your buns. My roots are out of control and when i pull it back in a pony i still look like Linda Evans. I've been rollersetting.

What do u use to wet bun? My naps just wont lay down.

I usually just use Hempseed butter or if the hair will not listen i use a light gel. After I co-wash I use the Hempseed like a leave in, brush my hair in to a bun ( i use a scrunchie, the small ones in black, they don'd tug on the hair like other smaller hairbands do) and wrap it with a scarf while I get ready and its smooth when I'm ready to be out the door.
Hope that makes sense :spinning:

I got two wigs to help with my transition, I'm worried that 1 is too shiny and the other is not the colour I expected, would you guys mind having a look at my fotki and letting me know what you think? [month 9-12 folder] Thank you!

I'm on my second year!

We Care, MissNorway. Congratulations on being a year post! I'm tryna get like you! Your hair is beautiful. :worship2:

I got two wigs to help with my transition, I'm worried that 1 is too shiny and the other is not the colour I expected, would you guys mind having a look at my fotki and letting me know what you think? [month 9-12 folder] Thank you!

Hey lady!
I saw your wigs and I love the short one. I think it looks better to have a bold color with short hair, I guess it is not so dramatic as having a lot of hair and a lot of color. I really liked the color on your skin and it looks like your hair. I think the longer one is fine too, you just have to get used to them.
All that matters is that you are comfortable but I say rock em!

its saturday and i've been laying around for most of the day :nono:...that's becasue I got my hair braided and its so tight and uncomfortable ...I actually feel like doing this -> :wallbash: ....it looks really nice though.... :perplexed

Ugh I hate when it's too tight, there's no comfortable way to sleep :sleep2:for at least two nights! ..but happy to hear your results turned out well.

Hi ladies,

This is my very first post and I'm just delighted to have found this site. I've been lurking for a little while now and am so excited about the wealth of information that I've received from LHCF thus far!

I decided a few months ago that I wanted to start transitioning... I'd go a week past touch-up time, and then sadly and impatiently dash out and get my relaxer. Not this time. I think I'm ready this time. Normally I relax every 5 weeks. I'm proud to say that I'm 8 weeks post relaxer this week (don't laugh, this is HUGE for me!) I'm a little older than most of you ladies i think, and when I started seeing the random gray hairs coming in, i thought hmmmm.... I'm not ready to go out like this just yet... can't color AND perm, LOOOOOOOOVE the beautiful natural ladies I keep seeing here, hence, time to let the relaxer go!

So, just wanted to introduce myself to you all and say thanks for all the great info and support that I've found here!

Kim

:welcome2:

I feel like my hair is growing out at a super slow pace. I am so discouraged. I just want my hair to be natural already! I think i don't realize the growth because i cant take pictures.......Does anyone feel that they don't see the growth unless they take progress pictures??

*~VoyagetoME~*

I feel like my hair is growing out at a super slow pace. I am so discouraged. I just want my hair to be natural already! I think i don't realize the growth because i cant take pictures.......Does anyone feel that they don't see the growth unless they take progress pictures??

*~VoyagetoME~*

Pictures help! Whenever I feel discouraged or think I'm doing all this in vain, I look to my pics. If it weren't for the pics I think I would have given up a long time ago. They are definitely a valuable reference.

Do you not have any way of taking pics? No camera phone?

ETA; patience is definitely the number one ingredient when transitioning. No hair product or protective style will do the trick if you're not patient and let your hair do its thing.

Last edited:
Pictures help! Whenever I feel discouraged or think I'm doing all this in vain, I look to my pics. If it weren't for the pics I think I would have given up a long time ago. They are definitely a valuable reference.

Do you not have any way of taking pics? No camera phone?

ETA; patience is definitely the number one ingredient when transitioning. No hair product or protective style will do the trick if you're not patient and let your hair do its thing.

Thanks MissNorway! Your always so helpful :yep:
My camera takes really crappy pictures and I haven't had the funds to get a new camera. I'm going to try to borrow my friends camera because i need to see that me going through war with these 2 textures is worth it. I will never relax my hair again with what I have learned from this site:nono:. BUT I find that every other thought in my head is "Is my head really too big for short hair?" haha So I need to do something quick because I at least want to transition for 1 year (im at 9 months).

*~VoyagetoME~*

Hi everyone. I am 9 months post relaxer. At the moment everything seems to be going smooth, other than shedding :perplexed. I am going to buy some garlic tomorrow and see if that helps. I haven't been able to read all the pages to this thread yet, but I did see something about a caramel treatment. Could someone please explain to me what this is?

BTW-Congrats on MissNorway for making it thru the 1st year.

do you like it??

the 14th will be four months for me and I'm ready to BC....I have no styling options..I can't do a bun...because one side of my hair is shorter than the other..I'm nervous about braids..cause they may pull to tight..and i'm tired of spending three hours on my hair and putting heat to it...I don't want to damage my new growth with blow driers and flat irons...the last thing I would want to see after I BC is damaged hair....

the other day I tried a braid out but it looked like a frizzy afro...plus when my young niece saw it she was like ewww..(but I was experimenting and I thought the same thing)

I really dont know what to do but BC...but its only been four months of transitioning and my ideal goal is to have four inches of hair before I do that but I dont think I can go another four months like this (I only have two hats i can wear, besides the two hats I wear to baseball games)

Thanks! I actually like it! I didn't have any feelings about it at first. I was tired of trying to style it. It was impossible to style without heat and I didn't want to ruin my new growth. I've had short hair before but not natural so it wasn't a shock for me. Everybody love it!

CONGRATS!!!!

How do you feel!?
PIXXX

I feel free lol

102_2005.jpg

Last edited:
Ugh I hate when it's too tight, there's no comfortable way to sleep :sleep2:for at least two nights! ..but happy to hear your results turned out well.

actually, I got this stuff called brx braid and extension sheen spray........ it helped that first night...it even great for itching..

can anyone help me with breaking edges? and also i have an uneven nape because my nape dosent grow in the center.(its my natural growth pattern not damage) should i cut it even or wait until i grow it out?

Looks nice!! :grin:

I'm a little over 14 months. I was so tired of rollersetting- it was too time consuming- so I got a sew in today. I was close to BC'ing this week, but I'm waiting for the warmer months when I can experiment with wash and go's.

I'm contemplating doing the same thing, if I don't BC until next June or so, then I will be 16 months post.

Congrats on your BC j'adore and mccryssy!

Welcome Kim!

I bought a hair dryer a couple of days ago and I used it yesterday. I was tired of airdrying and my hood dryer takes too long to dry my hair. I occasionally left the house with damp hair when it was warmer outside, but it's too cold for that now.

re: Miniglide - you won't need it. the maxi get's to the very edges and down to the base of your roots... it's AWESOME!
Thanks Whimsy. I went to the HSN site to order the Maxiglide. Apparently they changed their Maxiglide package within the last couple of weeks - it includes the Miniglide again. :lol: I ordered it, but it's not in stock so I'm on a waiting list.

can anyone help me with breaking edges? and also i have an uneven nape because my nape dosent grow in the center.(its my natural growth pattern not damage) should i cut it even or wait until i grow it out?

If it was me i'd cut it even because I don't like unevenness because it looks like damage even when it's not. BUT that's your decision. Styling may make it less noticable. As for breaking edges, baby them, use moisturizing creams and oils and don't pull them hard... maybe you should break your gel addiction too :)

Thanks! I actually like it! I didn't have any feelings about it at first. I was tired of trying to style it. It was impossible to style without heat and I didn't want to ruin my new growth. I've had short hair before but not natural so it wasn't a shock for me. Everybody love it!

I feel free lol

102_2005.jpg

You look FABULOUS!!!!

Update for me: The past two weeks my hair was maxiglided straight with coconut oil. It stayed looking pretty good for the entire two weeks. Today I washed/conditioned and braided it up with coconut oil and when it dries I will maxiglide it straight again and keep it that way for another 2 weeks. This will be my winter plan/ritual.
I'm currently 14 months post.

Back