Transitioners support thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Bublnbrnsuga
  • Start date Start date
I need some help. I recently reached the 1 year post mark (yay) by rollersetting and then using wigs and sew-ins later down the road. While I was hiding my hair, I was moisturizing and doing all the right stuff.

A few weeks ago, I took a sew in out and went to a salon to get it washed and pressed. That was a joke. So I went back to rollersetting (using perm rods and wearing it curly), but the texture feels... wrong. It feels kinda dry no matter what I put on it. At first, the relaxed ends were too, but now they're kinda soft and shiny.

Any suggestions for really moisturizing the natural part of my hair?? I was alternating between hollywood beauty carrot oil cream and cantu growstrong. I also use a mixture of a little suave conditioner, scurl spray and water. All of these products made my hair SO nice until now... :(

When my hair feels off, I usually chelate or clarify. I then mix up two conditioners, 1 moisture, 1 protein w/some other things: Kenra MC, K-pak Reconstruct, honey, evoo, and a bit of melted EVCO. This usually helps my hair return to normal. That S-curl spray will eventually leave your hair thirsty. For moisture, I like Karen's Body Beautiful hair cream (don't have to use it more than a couple times/wk!) and I always seal w/JBCO, EVCO, or grapeseed oil. HTH!!

Bored? Girl, I'm considering relaxing and I swore to NEVER do it again.. I'm about to be 45 weeks post in a couple of days with 7" of NG and my hair does not seem to be budging (hairorexia, i suppose). It's growing on top but not in the back. I don't understand..I won't relax though, I'm just depressed about my hair. Anyway, enough rambling. Eisani, I don't know what to do either, I don't like to wear my hair straight so I guess I'll just keep on bunning...boring as it is.

I was just coming in here to say I switched up some of my products last night and instead of just moisturizing with it, I used my KBB hair cream and did a twistout on damp hair. My hair is so soft, I think I've found my stretching style...for now anyway. I'm sick of buns, I had to try something else! My NG is so soft and lush, I think I'm going to keep doing this for a while. If I can get my parts to look right, I'll just twist my hair and leave it alone for a week of so. I say just do some experimenting and see what you come up with!

When my hair feels off, I usually chelate or clarify. I then mix up two conditioners, 1 moisture, 1 protein w/some other things: Kenra MC, K-pak Reconstruct, honey, evoo, and a bit of melted EVCO. This usually helps my hair return to normal. That S-curl spray will eventually leave your hair thirsty. For moisture, I like Karen's Body Beautiful hair cream (don't have to use it more than a couple times/wk!) and I always seal w/JBCO, EVCO, or grapeseed oil. HTH!!

I was just coming in here to say I switched up some of my products last night and instead of just moisturizing with it, I used my KBB hair cream and did a twistout on damp hair. My hair is so soft, I think I've found my stretching style...for now anyway. I'm sick of buns, I had to try something else! My NG is so soft and lush, I think I'm going to keep doing this for a while. If I can get my parts to look right, I'll just twist my hair and leave it alone for a week of so. I say just do some experimenting and see what you come up with!

Sometimes it seems my hair is too soft, like this morning, I used Jessicurl weekly deep conditioning as a leave in last night and did about 8 twists. My hair is uber soft. Now what do I do? The twists didn't really hold because my relaxed ends unfolded in the middle of the night. Now I'm looking like Jason on Friday the 13th with packed down new growth and stringly relaxed hair.

Rohrrrrr! Are you scared? :look:

Ho-hum, here comes the bun.:lachen:

Sometimes it seems my hair is too soft, like this morning, I used Jessicurl weekly deep conditioning as a leave in last night and did about 8 twists. My hair is uber soft. Now what do I do? The twists didn't really hold because my relaxed ends unfolded in the middle of the night. Now I'm looking like Jason on Friday the 13th with packed down new growth and stringly relaxed hair.

:lachen: Yea, last night I had to retwist a couple of mine for the same reason. Next time try wrapping the ends around a flexirod or large roller, it should help. No Jason hair, anyway:grin:

Bored? Girl, I'm considering relaxing and I swore to NEVER do it again.. I'm about to be 45 weeks post in a couple of days with 7" of NG and my hair does not seem to be budging (hairorexia, i suppose). It's growing on top but not in the back. I don't understand..I won't relax though, I'm just depressed about my hair. Anyway, enough rambling. Eisani, I don't know what to do either, I don't like to wear my hair straight so I guess I'll just keep on bunning...boring as it is.

I'm just chiming in to say that you have a lot of new growth!!! I couldn't believe that you were under 1 year post because it seems like so much. I'm at 10 months and I might have 4.5 inches :(

Hey Apemay!

You sure went and got you some Jessicurl real fast :lachen:

Instead of doing a twistout, why don't you do the braidout? And then just perm rod the last couple of inches of your hair. Promise it will be cute and NG will blend if you tie it down with a scarf while it is wet :yep:

Even though I'm not transitioning (yet?) I wear my hair like this all the time. I used to be the rollersetting queen but i haven't rollersetted in probably 2 months.

What options do you offer a beginning transitioner who is only 4 wks post relaxer, regarding styling methods after a wash. My hair is so thin at this point, I really do not need to roller set anymore. I had a hair diaster after a shampoo, DC and set last night. Long strands of hair just started coming out after taking the rollers down.

This transitioning thing is getting really difficult!!!

I will be 6 months post in a few weeks and was hoping to transition for 15-18 months. Lately, I've just been having a hard time. These past few weeks, I've been co-washing, detangling in the shower, airdrying, doing twist-outs or braidouts, and it's just been a hot mess. :nono: My ng would start tangling/locking up each time especially in the crown where my hair is really thick :wallbash:...It's tight 4a coils vs. bone-straight relaxed hair... I'm not ready to BC and I would hate to give up now.

So, I was thinking about getting my hair flat-ironed every 2 weeks once the semester start. What do you guys think? Any of you flat-iron or blow-dry your hair on a regular basis? Any suggestions would be great!

hey nuelle, i've been flatironing every other week for the last three months, and it has worked great to me, and taken then :wallbash: out of transitioning...it has helped...i am going to a dominican salon and all she does is flat iron my hair,,,i do everything else..it's quick and simple and my hair has done well, no shedding to speak of...i think you are on to something..this could probably work for you until you get to another styling option with your hair or decide to give it a break...HTH!!!

What options do you offer a beginning transitioner who is only 4 wks post relaxer, regarding styling methods after a wash. My hair is so thin at this point, I really do not need to roller set anymore. I had a hair diaster after a shampoo, DC and set last night. Long strands of hair just started coming out after taking the rollers down.

garner, immediately do a garlic oil treatment....mix garlic powder in olive oil until it is like a paste, sit under dryer with a cap on, for about 30 min, and this should help the shedding, i'd do this every 3 days for 2 weeks and then weekly. how about a bun with a phony pony? ponies have saved my life, i mean i just wear a ponytail, no phony, but i'm gonna get a nice wavy tex of hair that matches mine and wear it in a large messy bun on top...that way, i'm saving my ends, too! if your hair is shoulder length you could try a bardot french roll...hair down in front, french roll in back...these are my personal options....

Hey Everyone! Im a newbie here looking for some tips. I'm about 8 weeks post relaxer (yay!) and I plan on doin the BC for my 25 b-day in January. I'm transitioning using braids, but what I would like to know is what you do between the braids. Right now Im pre-pooing with some EVOO and Silk Amino Acids. Then I'm gonna shampoo, condition with Nexuss Humectress and DC with EVOO, egg and SAA. I hope it turns out ok! Im really excited. I lurked for a while before I committed to transitioning.
I want to know what everyone thinks about this method.

That S-curl spray will eventually leave your hair thirsty.

Eisani, thanks! I wouldve been using more and more of it and trying to figure out what was wrong! I used a clarifying shampoo last week but I was too busy playing in my new growth that I dont think I really did anything- my hair didnt feel the way it usually does after clarifying. This might be a stupid question, but what's chelating?

Eisani, thanks! I wouldve been using more and more of it and trying to figure out what was wrong! I used a clarifying shampoo last week but I was too busy playing in my new growth that I dont think I really did anything- my hair didnt feel the way it usually does after clarifying. This might be a stupid question, but what's chelating?

That's not a stupid question! Chelating is similar to clarifying, the difference is that chelating actually penetrates the hair and removes mineral and product build up from the inside out, while clarifying only works on the surface of the hair. Think of it as the difference between spot treating your carpet and having it steam cleaned. :yep:

Just stopping by... I'll be 6 months post (again) on September 1st... :drunk: I haven't had any breakage or anything, and my ends are still blunt from my July 5 cut.
:drunk:

Is anyone here from the NYC area? I just moved here in June and I'm looking for a salon (pref. non-Dominican) to help me through the rest of this journey. I posted in the salon review forum, but I thought I would try here, too.

TIA ladies! :grin:

Wet buns and lots of air drying!

Seriously, that was all I did for the first 4+ months of my transition. I just started re-straightening my hair because I got bored with what i was doing (sitting under my Pibbs with a ponytail rollerset as we speak!)

Checking in also, things have gotten easier since my using heat to blend my two textures again. For me all of the detangling it takes to put my wet hair into a ponytail, I could just do rollersetting and have low manipulation for 2 weeks after that.

I'm almost 10 weeks post but since I discovered applying your conditioner like relaxer I feel like I'm getting to know a whole different side of my hair. I think I may want to transition but I'm not sure. I will just take it a week at a time and see how it goes.

So, I'm officially out. I was at 8 months post and just decided to relax last week. I had 3-4 inches of new growth so I really feel like I have a whole new head of hair.

Good luck to the rest of you ladies, unsubscribing...

Is anyone here from the NYC area? I just moved here in June and I'm looking for a salon (pref. non-Dominican) to help me through the rest of this journey. I posted in the salon review forum, but I thought I would try here, too.

TIA ladies! :grin:

Mo Hair Salon on E 13th st 212-533-8610 - Go to Mike (2nd chair from the door) tell him Danielle sent you. He's the only person I let get close to my hair.

Hey Apemay!

You sure went and got you some Jessicurl real fast :lachen:

Instead of doing a twistout, why don't you do the braidout? And then just perm rod the last couple of inches of your hair. Promise it will be cute and NG will blend if you tie it down with a scarf while it is wet :yep:

Even though I'm not transitioning (yet?) I wear my hair like this all the time. I used to be the rollersetting queen but i haven't rollersetted in probably 2 months.

I'll try the braidout one day. I'm so close to cutting that I don't even want to touch my head for a bit. I've got my trust phony puff on and I'm using different headbands to spice it up. Borrinnngggg!

And yup, girl, I ordered that stuff as soon as I got home from Arby's along with some daily moisturizer that they have. Stayed in the kitchen all day.:grin:

The funny part is that because I've been really taking good care of my hair, the relaxed ends, although stringy compared to the NG, is shining and bouncing and basically looking relaxed. So I got healthy shiny relaxed hair and then healthy glowing natural hair.

Whatever.:ohwell:

I'm almost 10 weeks post but since I discovered applying your conditioner like relaxer I feel like I'm getting to know a whole different side of my hair. I think I may want to transition but I'm not sure. I will just take it a week at a time and see how it goes.

Did I turn you out?:lachen:
You wasn't even thinking about transitioning.:lachen::lachen:

Maybe you were, I'm being silly, come join us on this journey.

Just need to vent :look:

Approaching 8 months post and I have a cycle I have been going through and I am back at the point where I am so frustrated and have no idea what styles to wear :wallbash:

A BC is not an option and buns just ain't cutting it ... No money for a weave, my hair breaks at the thought of braids, so looks like a twist out is my only hop
e :sad:

SIGH ...

Just need to vent :look:

Approaching 8 months post and I have a cycle I have been going through and I am back at the point where I am so frustrated and have no idea what styles to wear :wallbash:

A BC is not an option and buns just ain't cutting it ... No money for a weave, my hair breaks at the thought of braids, so looks like a twist out is my only hop
e :sad:

SIGH ...

Missconstrue, I totally understand. My hair has been causing me so much irritation- UGH! I have been thisclose to getting a relaxer, but I'm gonna make myself wait until December to see what's what- plus I put in too much time and work to give up right now.

Do you ever rollerset? I wore curly rollersets for the first 6 months of my transition, and I'm about to go back to that until the weather cools down. (I've been wearing it straight for a while - even though it's puffy as heck). Also, have you considered a half wig? They make really cute ones and they can cost anywhere from $25-40 ( I dont know what your budget is like, I'm just throwing that out there). I did that for a few months too.

Missconstrue, I totally understand. My hair has been causing me so much irritation- UGH! I have been thisclose to getting a relaxer, but I'm gonna make myself wait until December to see what's what- plus I put in too much time and work to give up right now.

Do you ever rollerset? I wore curly rollersets for the first 6 months of my transition, and I'm about to go back to that until the weather cools down. (I've been wearing it straight for a while - even though it's puffy as heck). Also, have you considered a half wig? They make really cute ones and they can cost anywhere from $25-40 ( I dont know what your budget is like, I'm just throwing that out there). I did that for a few months too.

Thanks!!

I actually haven't tried a roller set at all during this transition so I will definitely be doing that tomorrow!!

Hopefully it will come out nice without too much flat ironing...:perplexed

:wave: Hi everybody! I'm back on the transition wagon. I transitioned for 9 months and decided to relax my hair June 1, 2008. So on September 1, 2008 I will be 12 weeks post. I ordered MT, so hopefully that will speed up my growth. I plan to transition until my natural hair is shoulder length unstretched, then I will do the BC.

I'm almost three months into transitioning....Well I've been reading this thread from the beginning (I'm on page 21 now, I'm going to finish it because I find it interesting) and what I am surprised to see is how so many of you were so affraid of letting go if that relaxed hair...seven months to a year or more seems like a heck of a long time to be hanging on to dead hair...

I guess because of the way my hair is cut (it's in a bob where one side is much shorter than the other) seven months or more would be way too long and too much growth

but what also funny is this thread started in 2005...I wonder how everyone's doing:)

Last edited:
Back