Transitioners support thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Bublnbrnsuga
  • Start date Start date
Hey Ladies. My relaxed ends were so straight I could not do anything with them. I actually was 3 months post. I went and had them cut off. The only thing now is that my front and sides are very straight and I am not relaxing ever again. I want the big sexy curly fro. I am a litle frustrated because I really can not let my fro out. I have went to walmart and the cloth store and gotten 1 yard of cloth and just did head wraps. They are very nice because I get the printed cloth. (alittle pricey but it is worth it).

hi,
I am officially subscribing to this thread. Currently 28 WKS since last relaxer, hoping to make at least 22 months be even 28-34 months. Had short hair cut in jan 2006 (2 in relaxed), cant deal with short hair anymore so going for a long transition.

Greetings Ladies! I am 4 months into transitioning and I feel like im stuck now.:wallbash: I recently cut 2 inches of relaxed hair off in the back and now i have bangs in the front (only looks cute when its straight). It just doesnt seem like its growing.. I will post pics from my haircut to now and let me know if you see a difference.

so how are the rest of you guys doing?

i haven't done anything with my hair in a while.

i kinda stopped caring about whats going on under the hat. :ohwell: when i was relaxed, my hair was jacked, now that I'm transitioning, its jacked, i seem to be seeing a trend here.

do you guys think its easier for girls with longer hair to go through this transition? every time i see girls with longer hair transitioning, all they have to do is pull their hair up in a bun or something and go. as for me, i wish!:grin:

I sort of wish i wasn't so poor right now and could just get braids or something.

I'm still hanging in. Next Tuesday will make 12 weeks post for me - so, it's still early. I haven't had any issues this time around and there's quite a bit of new growth in there. I'm mostly bunning or doing braid/twist-outs. Yes, I do think it's easier for longer haired girls, because all I have to do is slick my hair into a bun and call it a day (I'm between APL and BSL). But I think if I had shorter hair, I'd probably do the BC much sooner. I wish I had the guts to rock short hair, because I'd love to see what my natural hair does without the relaxed ends weighing it down. Oh well.

Hang in there, ladies! We can do it!

As of March 1st, I have been transitioning for one full year. I can't believe I've made it this far. I plan to get my hair flat ironed Sunday afternoon and then start a thread showcasing my one year update.

I'm BACCCCCCCKKKK :)

I have determined that I will NOT be getting any chemical relaxers/texurizers in 2008. My last texlax was the first week of Dec. 07 and when I realized that, I thought, why not go relaxer free in '08.

I do plan to do things differently this time... I plan to actually go to the salon more often to assist me so that I don't endure breaking because I don't plan to BC. I have polled friends for referals for great folks who press and don't charge and arm and a leg, and a couple of my friends have volunteered to do it for me til I get the hang for FREE! I will also invest in those darn curlformers to help me with at home styling.

I'm praying that the curlformers and salon straw sets and such will get me through the summer. I believe once I get a few inches of NG, I'll have an easier time because of practice :)

I do not wear braids or weaves and don't plan to start now, so I'm hoping my approach with the curly sets and flat iron will help not dealing with the demarcation :)

Happy growing!

I'm still hanging in. Next Tuesday will make 12 weeks post for me - so, it's still early. I haven't had any issues this time around and there's quite a bit of new growth in there. I'm mostly bunning or doing braid/twist-outs. Yes, I do think it's easier for longer haired girls, because all I have to do is slick my hair into a bun and call it a day (I'm between APL and BSL). But I think if I had shorter hair, I'd probably do the BC much sooner. I wish I had the guts to rock short hair, because I'd love to see what my natural hair does without the relaxed ends weighing it down. Oh well.

Hang in there, ladies! We can do it!

I agree with this! When i started my hair was so short i couldnt get it all into a pony tail. i looked a mess for a while too. But like tiffchele said....i dont think i'd be as likely to BC if my hair was longer...which im glad for because i CAN'T imagine transitioning for longer then i plan to (18 months)

13 MONTHS POST ON MARCH 10!!!!!

I'm finally counting DOWN the months instead of up!

I don't know what I want to do anymore. I have transitioned so long that I feel that it would be stupid to turn back now ...but I already know that I hate the shrinkage. Furthermore, it's going to be summer soon and the humidity is going to make my hair look so crazy:sad:. I am soooooo tempted to texlax, especially after seeing so many beautiful natural heads texlaxing recently. If I can make it through the summer:wallbash:, then I will keep transitioning until the end of the year.

One more week and I'll be 16 months post relaxer!

I haven't had any hair issues or setbacks in months. I haven't had to deal with post partum shedding either, so I'm doing really well (even though I'm not consistent with deep conditioning or have a set routine)

My plan for this month is to trim my hair, and work on a regimen to get my hair in optimum health. I've been dieting, excercising, and taking supplements to lose weight, and to get healthy from the inside out...I just need to work more on my hair's 'outer' appearance, I guess you can say.

I've been looking at southerntease' blog for inspiration...her hair is gorgeous, and she has natural heads from this board that have gorgeous hair as well..

it's getting frustrating and I'm SO SCARED with summer approaching.

Girls, in the summer months i would just wash, mousse and go curly w/ my texlax. That's it. No stress.

Now I can't do that because i'll look RIDICULOUS and then have to deal with the torture of detangling/breakage etc. WHAT DO I DO?! My hair is at the bottom of my brastrap sloooowly making it's way south. I have 7 months of newgrowth and I AM SOOO TEMPTED to chop. And then just yesterday, out of NOWHERE my SO(ish) says..."i really love your hair long, it was cute short too, but i just love it long like this."
So now that's kinda like pressure not to chop too.... I know ultimately he wont' give a damn about short/long but hearing it was like oh GOSH... ya know.
AND i have a vacation coming up in early June and I'm already stressing about what to do w/ my hair considering the sun/pool/beach water UUUGGGGHHH!!!!!!

HELP MEEEE make it through summer w/o chopping or chemicals. I don't know if i can make it.....i just don't know.

(thanks for letting me vent girls)

it's getting frustrating and I'm SO SCARED with summer approaching.

Girls, in the summer months i would just wash, mousse and go curly w/ my texlax. That's it. No stress.

Now I can't do that because i'll look RIDICULOUS and then have to deal with the torture of detangling/breakage etc. WHAT DO I DO?! My hair is at the bottom of my brastrap sloooowly making it's way south. I have 7 months of newgrowth and I AM SOOO TEMPTED to chop. And then just yesterday, out of NOWHERE my SO(ish) says..."i really love your hair long, it was cute short too, but i just love it long like this."
So now that's kinda like pressure not to chop too.... I know ultimately he wont' give a damn about short/long but hearing it was like oh GOSH... ya know.
AND i have a vacation coming up in early June and I'm already stressing about what to do w/ my hair considering the sun/pool/beach water UUUGGGGHHH!!!!!!

HELP MEEEE make it through summer w/o chopping or chemicals. I don't know if i can make it.....i just don't know.

(thanks for letting me vent girls)

It depresses me to even say this but "BUN, BUN, BUN, BUN, BUN" - lol. i was so upset this weekend when i whipped out my jar of curly custard from kinky curly to try to do the wet look/wash and go (which is SUPPOSED to help blend the new growth). OMG - horrible. My roots were thick and wavy and then the rest of my hair was stringly and wavy. it was SUCH a big difference. So, i put it in a bun, like everyday of my life since.....who knows - lol. I guess i'll be using the custard as a gel to hold my hairline back. oh well. cant wait till it gets longer. btw - for the vacation. i would def braid or do twisties in the front to tame the ng and look cute with the back out. i'd braid the whole head if your more concerned about your hairs protection.

I think I am going to transition but I am way too chicken to bc. When I transitioned the first time I bc'd after nine months. I think my husband would flip out if I went from bsl to a twa. I currently have about two inches of ng and I am trying to hold out for 20 months.

I just saw this thread and thought I'd pop in to encourage you all to keep going and moving toward your goals. Transitioning isn't impossible.

Whimsy, I would recommend that you try curling your hair using perm rods (like a roller set) for the summer. I did this during my transition so that I would be able to wear my hair down, and it blended the two textures while allowing me to "preview" what my hair would maybe look like all natural (little curls all over my head--but not like shirley temple curls). Plus the style lasted for days (up to a week if you're good at maintaining hairstyles--I don't sleep pretty :look:) and was low maintenance (I just re-fluffed everyday). You can find perm rods at Walmart.

HollyG, stay encouraged. You can make it through a long transition :yep:. I myself transitioned for about 18 months. I did endure a number of days wearing a bun, but the time wasn't horrible and now I am enjoying my natural hair.

Last edited:
Whimsy, I would recommend that you try curling your hair using perm rods (like a roller set) for the summer. I did this during my transition so that I would be able to wear my hair down, and it blended the two textures while allowing me to "preview" what my hair would maybe look like all natural (little curls all over my head--but not like shirley temple curls). Plus the style lasted for days (up to a week if you're good at maintaining hairstyles--I don't sleep pretty :look:) and was low maintenance (I just re-fluffed everyday). You can find perm rods at Walmart.

thanks semo... i must also add that i'm bad w/ styling my hair. all i know how to do is a bun, straighten it w/ my maxiglide and wear it wash n go curly. I may try this though...

I think that I'm going to transition. I cut my locs about 2 and a half years ago and put in my relaxer in October of 2007. I like the ease but my hair is so thin and I miss my natural curls. I hadn't even heard of LHCF with my natural hair. I didn't know that I could get a Dominican blowout if I was fiending for straight hair. I didn't know nuthin:nono:

I am about 6 weeks post and I have about 1/2 inch of NG. I am going to bantu right now. I am in the middle of 'Surrender to Laziness' night and it's driving my family crazy. I'm going to take care of myself tonight.

Bantu, long bath, self-pedi, two movies - The Brave One and Atonement (playing right now). La la me day.

I'm looking forward to the challenge. The last time I went natural, I just cut it all off and had a TWA for a while until I could grip it to twist it.

All I do now is put my hair in a bun anywho. When I did put rollers in my hair my husband liked it so the bantus should work out. When I wrapped it, he didn't.

Natural hair, here I come!:lick:

thanks semo... i must also add that i'm bad w/ styling my hair. all i know how to do is a bun, straighten it w/ my maxiglide and wear it wash n go curly. I may try this though...

Oh, I am TOTALLY sure you can do this :yep:. If anyone is styling challenging I am. What helped me is that the first time I did this style someone else put the rods in so I could observe their technique before I tried it. One tip I learned is: when you roll the hair on the rods start at the bottom and wrap the hair around up to the top of the rod (without over lapping the hair).

I wish I could find pics of my hair with that style.

15 weeks post reporting in. I've got my 4a coilies coming in full force. I've got about 1.5" of NG. Only problem is that I've got barely SL hair. :sad: I guess I'm going to have to invest in some Curlformers, which is going to be hard to do since I'm a poor college student. But I'm going to have to work it out. Maybe I'll get two packs and just make big sections. Either way, I have a long ways to go until I'm one year without a relaxer. This should be interesting.

Just popping in to say don't give up - we can make it!! I hit 12 weeks yesterday, and I'm doing okay. Seeing those waves and curls *almost* makes me want to chop chop chop, but I am hiding the scissors until June, when I'll do a trim. I know my DH would flip if I cut all my hair off, although he is definitely supportive of my transition and promises to "punish" me if I so much as look at a relaxer. :lachen:

Anyhow, all of you keep up the great work. It will be worth it in the end!

Decisions, Decisions.................I want to transition, but I am not sure I can make it through!!! I transitioned before BUT I was coming out of a short pixie cut so it wasn't a "hard" process. I wore twist sets and braid outs and my hair grew pretty quickly. No breakage, shedding, nada! Hmmmmmm, now I am between SL and APL and I would not want to do a BC (DH would pass out).............I'm going to think hard on it. I'm only 7 wks post now but I ususally go 14-16 weeks, oh what to do, what to do!! :wallbash:

hey ladies!
i did a search on the BKT (brazilian keratin treatment) and i'm still undecided. any transitioners use this? how did it effect ur new growth as opposed to ur relaxed hair. is it worth it as far as stopping breakage, etc.

After having relaxed hair for close to 20 years, I decided to transition. It's been a little more than 3 months since my last relaxer. Even though I have about 1.5 inches of natural hair, I won't consider doing a BC right now because I need to conceal my weird-shaped head, lol. But about a week ago, I did a 3-5 inch mini chop to even things out a bit, especially since my hair was getting thinned out from me not knowing how to take care of it as well as a change in diet.

I've been lurking in this thread for a few days now enjoying the support and advice of you beautiful ladies as well as finding the answers to my questions (Whew on page 30 now!). My family isn't overly supportive-- my sisters keep telling me that I need a perm, my brother offered to pay for a salon visit to get my hair straightened, and my mom wasn't happy that I lost a few inches (it's not that short--my hair currently brushes my shoulders). They'll come around eventually (I hope)...:look:

Well, since I've somewhat introduced myself, I guess I should continue reading this thread (only 117 pages to go)... :blush::lachen:

Last edited:
15 weeks post.
Lord have mercy.
My hair's better than I thought it'd be.
I've got coils and corkscrews going on.
It's crazy. I never knew my hair could do that.
I'm trying to resist the creamy crack.
It's hard...so very hard. :spinning:
But I look at these curls and I hold my ground.
I think I'm going to start doing rollersets and curlformers.
I may ultimately get a sew in or something to hide this hair.

I have decided to transition as well. My last relaxer was Jan 28th, and I plan to grow for 10 months and big chop. I plan to wear rollersets, braid outs, twist outs and braids for a few months too. Hopefully I can make it until November without too much trouble. :look:

After having relaxed hair for close to 20 years, I decided to transition. It's been a little more than 3 months since my last relaxer. Even though I have about 1.5 inches of natural hair, I won't consider doing a BC right now because I need to conceal my weird-shaped head, lol. But about a week ago, I did a 3-5 inch mini chop to even things out a bit, especially since my hair was getting thinned out from me not knowing how to take care of it as well as a change in diet.

I've been lurking in this thread for a few days now enjoying the support and advice of you beautiful ladies as well as finding the answers to my questions (Whew on page 30 now!). My family isn't overly supportive-- my sisters keep telling me that I need a perm, my brother offered to pay for a salon visit to get my hair straightened, and my mom wasn't happy that I lost a few inches (it's not that short--my hair currently brushes my shoulders). They'll come around eventually (I hope)...:look:

Well, since I've somewhat introduced myself, I guess I should continue reading this thread (only 117 pages to go)... :blush::lachen:

Welcome to the boards and to transitioning :)

I've been transitioning a year this past Feb. It was a little rough at first but it's so much better now. I still have a ways to go because I refuse to cut my hair. I just do a little trim. I'm loving my natural texture too. the back of my head after the crown ends to the nape is mostly 4a, and the front and crown are 4b. It's a trip trying to deal with different textures.

Last edited:
Checking in as well. April 4th will make a year. All is going well, I did another mini-chop last week, cut about 2 inches off, so now I am back to a longer bob. I plan to keep my hair around this length, until I cut the rest of the relaxed ends, which my estimation will be sometime between Dec08-April09.

Because of the mini-chops, about half of the hair on my head is relaxed, the other half natural.

:wave: Welcome to the board!

So far so good y'all. I'm almost 13 weeks post my hair is doing great. I've been cornrowing my hair and rocking falls and phony ponies. I plan to put braids in this weekend and leave my hair in braids for about 2 months. For summer I want to do wet sets w/flexi rods and braid outs so that I can enjoy my longer hair w/o risking damage. My plan now is to grow my hair to BSL (which I think I'll get there by the end of summer due to the surprising amount of growth I've been getting) and start cutting an inch off every two months while maintaining the length.

Last night I cut the relaxed ends off of a very small section of my hair in my crown and I love my natural hair! I wanted a sneak preview of what to expect ;). I now know why people say they felt like their hair came to life when they chopped. I'm tempted to cut the rest of my relaxed ends off on my whole head but I won't. I have a plan and I want to stick it. I've been inspired by SouthernTease to transition w/o the BC and her hair has been thriving. Anyhoo, the small section of hair in my crown that is natural now, is about 2 inches and the shrinkage is not that bad at all. I wet it, cut, and then put some lacio lacio on it and my hair feels soo soft and still feels that way now. I'm glad that Lacio Lacio still works wonderfully on my natural hair and I plan keep it as a staple. Then again, it also helped with my long stretches in the past and does great with my new growth so I don't see why that would've been different. I was a little concerned that I would have to get new products when I'm completely natural (since that is what happened with some folks here) but I highly doubt I will need to.

Back