Transitioners support thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Bublnbrnsuga
  • Start date Start date
Hey ladies!

I've made the decision to transition back to my natural hair :grin:! Sooo many naturals and transitioning sistas on this site and my sister have inspired me to do so I'm so excited! I've decided to transition w/o a BC. I'm currently 8 weeks (almost 9) post and right now I'm in braids. I think I'm going to transition with help of braids, kinky twists, weaves and wigs. I attempted to transition 2 times and made it over a year w/o relaxers before I came on this board years ago. The reason I went back to relaxing is because I did not know how to care for my hair and my hair was dry, dry, dry. Now that I've mastered taking care of my hair (with the help of this wonderful site) and helped my sister take care of her natural hair (which I absolutely love and it isn't hard to manage at all with the right care), I know I'll be able to handle my natural hair. I just want the versatility that comes with being natural from rocking a big curly do, a cute puff or straight. I'll be watching this thread hard for some tips. Just wanted to put that out there ;).

does anybody know any styles that transitioners with SHORT hair can wear? D: My hair is like neck length, and its impossible to hide the ng at this point... I've been wearing a hat for months now, and while thats all good, I'm looking for something else I can do with my natural hair to disguise the ng (not braids or weaves, too poor for that right now) any ideas anyone?

does anybody know any styles that transitioners with SHORT hair can wear? D: My hair is like neck length, and its impossible to hide the ng at this point... I've been wearing a hat for months now, and while thats all good, I'm looking for something else I can do with my natural hair to disguise the ng (not braids or weaves, too poor for that right now) any ideas anyone?

is your relaxed hair bonestraight or are you tex'd?

you can easily do a braid or twist out (or cornrow/flat twist out). you can use perm rods on the ends if they come aloose).

You can use the smaller end perm rods (or the plastic ones with the snap covers or even flexirods for spirals) and do a rollerset with those.

it wouldn't be hard to do, would dry rather quickly (with or w/o heat) and would do a pretty good job blending in the textures.

Transitioner Here!! 2nd time around ....
I'm texlaxed on the ends and last relaxer was hmmmm 11/7/07 somewhere around that date.

What i've learned this time is:
  • Don't b/c if you're not READY this could end a successful "Natural Mission" My 1st mistake!!!
  • Don't force my hair to do things it doesn't like.....this can easily discourage even the most dedicated transitioner away from the natural side.
  • Don't force styles that my hair is not ready for....right now my hair hates twists and braids...I opt for airdrying then flatiron, pin ups, or airdry'd or diffusser assisted curly pony tails.:grin:
  • Don't force products that don't work for my hair....I use to jump on every product bandwagon, but NOW I only use what my hair truly like vs. what on the "hit" list.
  • Don't WATCH the months!! Go with the FLOW, and let it GROW "natural hair" that is.......this was a problem for me 1st time around:spinning: I was going crazy measuring and watching my hair.
  • My hair will be fully natural when it's ready, until then style cute and stay calm!! It's so many other things to think about stop stressing "Z hair" MOST IMPORTANT
Finally, my hair is so thick and full of life this 2nd go round that I'm EXTRA pleased with this transitioning period. It's what I call a " Learning period" that's helps to get in tune with ya hair Natural or Relaxed!!

Transitioner Here!! 2nd time around ....
I'm texlaxed on the ends and last relaxer was hmmmm 11/7/07 somewhere around that date.

What i've learned this time is:
  • Don't b/c if you're not READY this could end a successful "Natural Mission" My 1st mistake!!!
  • Don't force my hair to do things it doesn't like.....this can easily discourage even the most dedicated transitioner away from the natural side.
  • Don't force styles that my hair is not ready for....right now my hair hates twists and braids...I opt for airdrying then flatiron, pin ups, or airdry'd or diffusser assisted curly pony tails.:grin:
  • Don't force products that don't work for my hair....I use to jump on every product bandwagon, but NOW I only use what my hair truly like vs. what on the "hit" list.
  • Don't WATCH the months!! Go with the FLOW, and let it GROW "natural hair" that is.......this was a problem for me 1st time around:spinning: I was going crazy measuring and watching my hair.
  • My hair will be fully natural when it's ready, until then style cute and stay calm!! It's so many other things to think about stop stressing "Z hair" MOST IMPORTANT
Finally, my hair is so thick and full of life this 2nd go round that I'm EXTRA pleased with this transitioning period. It's what I call a " Learning period" that's helps to get in tune with ya hair Natural or Relaxed!!

What lovely advice. I too am on my 2nd go round. This transition I'm taking much better care of my hair as well and I'm definitely not going to BC out of boredom like I did last time.

Hey Whimsy,
Girl I've been stalking your page PAST & PRESENT you are the bomb relaxed or natural....Yes boredom will cause the b/c too.....just CHILL and your hair will say im ready.

Ps....U have some gawwwwgess hair and i'm watching ya girly!!
let's do this natural thing.......

Hey Whimsy,
Girl I've been stalking your page PAST & PRESENT you are the bomb relaxed or natural....Yes boredom will cause the b/c too.....just CHILL and your hair will say im ready.

Ps....U have some gawwwwgess hair and i'm watching ya girly!!
let's do this natural thing.......

Hey Clazz - thanks for the compliments. I hope to update this weekend for february.
I am definitely not going to allow boredom to make me BC. I'll sooner color.

I have decided to GO NATURAL ! I am new to the forum so I would like to someone help me transition the right way. I am ready to chop it all off and do what I need to do. I have severly damaged hair and my edges are thin so I NEEEEEEEEEEEED HELP! I am starting fresh! As soon as I figure this thing out I am going to be extremely bold and post some pics. So if anyone can help.... PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!

Hi !! I am new to the forum and I have made the decision to GO NATURAL !:yay: But I need some help. Where do I begin so I can make a smooth transition. Please help a sista out! I have severly damaged hair and thin edges. Once I figure this thing out I will post pics. :bookworm:But please as of right now...... HELP!!!!!!!!!

Hi !! I am new to the forum and I have made the decision to GO NATURAL !:yay: But I need some help. Where do I begin so I can make a smooth transition. Please help a sista out! I have severly damaged hair and thin edges. Once I figure this thing out I will post pics. :bookworm:But please as of right now...... HELP!!!!!!!!!

Welcome! :clap:

I made the decision after reading THIS thread from start to finish. I learned what i needed to do from other people's experiences. Once I started, I've been able to figure out what my hair needs. I read the natural threads too. I've only been transitioning for a short time, but HTH!

Hi FyneNJChic! Welcome!

Use a moisturizing shampoo, a deep conditioner, and a leave-in. Make sure to moisturize your hair every day. Hopefully that will help. And don't use direct heat. If you do, make sure to use a heat protectant.

i almost did my own BC last night doing my hair. i had to put the hair tools down, bantu knot my hair and go to bed. when i got up, i dried my hair the rest of the way, it was soft & manageable (not so last night). and then i 'rowed it up! i want to chop so badly but i'm gonna be patient.

hey

If i ever decided to transition... do you think i would be able to get away with just braidouts and twistouts, curly styles like straw curls, or a quick blow dry and pony tail... i refuse to bc.. i mean i will cut as soon as my natural hair gets a decent length but i refuse to cut it when its really short...

hey

If i ever decided to transition... do you think i would be able to get away with just braidouts and twistouts, curly styles like straw curls, or a quick blow dry and pony tail... i refuse to bc.. i mean i will cut as soon as my natural hair gets a decent length but i refuse to cut it when its really short...

I dont see why not! There are woman in this thread who were/are transitioning for 2+ years! Im choppping at a year and half and i got by puting my hair up with a curly phony pony.

I'm back! I went back after I started transitioning and now I want the beautiful natural hair that was growing out back.

Oh wow!!! Am so excited about this thread. I was seriously considering going natural. I intend to transition with buns, twist outs and bantu knots. Hopefully those styles will work. I don't want to BC so I will transition for two years I think.
Support, tips and tea and sympathy at times very welcomed! :grin:

is anyone else having a huge problem with microknots? and this isn't even with the natural hair, its with my RELAXED ENDS. :wallbash: little single strand (sometimes hueg) clumps of hair that laughs at the conditioner that i use (either humectress or NTM). I mean i'm getting massive breakage as usual, but thats nothing new. at this point even if i wanted to relax again, i'm afraid too with my hair in this condition! detangling in the shower is a joke, when i come out of the shower its like they magically form again while I dry. I don't own a dryer, so i deep condition without heat. might this be the problem?

is anyone else having a huge problem with microknots? and this isn't even with the natural hair, its with my RELAXED ENDS. :wallbash: little single strand (sometimes hueg) clumps of hair that laughs at the conditioner that i use (either humectress or NTM). I mean i'm getting massive breakage as usual, but thats nothing new. at this point even if i wanted to relax again, i'm afraid too with my hair in this condition! detangling in the shower is a joke, when i come out of the shower its like they magically form again while I dry. I don't own a dryer, so i deep condition without heat. might this be the problem?

I dont know! lol All i can add is that it happens to me as well. I think it happens to alot of us. For me the longer i hang on to these relaxed ends..the more it happens. ONLY my relaxed ends knot. The comb or brush slip right through my natural hair. I has to do with the 2 different textures i think? Its just part of transitioning i guess. :ohwell:

I dont know! lol All i can add is that it happens to me as well. I think it happens to alot of us. For me the longer i hang on to these relaxed ends..the more it happens. ONLY my relaxed ends knot. The comb or brush slip right through my natural hair. I has to do with the 2 different textures i think? Its just part of transitioning i guess. :ohwell:

I know! i would think that the natural growth would be the part knotting up like crazy! :grin: I ran a search on it, and the general consensus in that thread was a general lack of moisture. I think i'm going to try switching up my moisturizer, ORS doesn't cut it anymore, haha. maybe cantu or CD healthy hair butter. people have said that HHB is too thick but the way how my hair is now, i think it may need it!

I started getting those single strand knots before I started transitioning and I still get them. Once in a while I notice one. I got them with different conditioners (Humectress, Humecto, Nacidit Olive Oil DC cream). I have a dryer and I DC with heat. I detangle in the shower under running water with conditioner in my hair.

I agree with you 100%. I have been transitioning since 6/07 and prior to getting the set of braids I have in now, I was experiencing single strand knots on my relaxed ends. I also don't have a dryer but I plan on getting one soon. If it doesn't help with the knots it will at least help with my DC's.
At this point I don't have a choice but to continue with my transition. I have LOTS of breakage, primarily in the back, because of my 4a/4b hair being relaxed bone straight. Eventually the ends will have to go, I'm just nervous I won't know what to do with my hair.

I apologize for the rant. I don't think that I answered your question, but just know that you are not alone. I suggest trying a dryer. How many months post are you? If you're only experiencing the knots on the relaxed ends once you cut off your ends you don't have to worry about them anymore. HTH:spinning:

I know! i would think that the natural growth would be the part knotting up like crazy! :grin: I ran a search on it, and the general consensus in that thread was a general lack of moisture. I think i'm going to try switching up my moisturizer, ORS doesn't cut it anymore, haha. maybe cantu or CD healthy hair butter. people have said that HHB is too thick but the way how my hair is now, i think it may need it!

u know something....i realized within the past couple of months that my hair hasnt really been responding to the ORS lotion much anymore. when i started my transition it worked wonders...but now its like i might as well just put water on it. Im waiting until this bottle is finished and then i might try switching to something else.

I would have given up and relaxed a few months ago, but the prospect of having to section this mess and actually apply the relaxer... that is scarier than having to detangle, because my hair wouldn't be wet. Not to mention what if I overlapped? I would lose all that hair... what if I burn my scalp again? I have completely forgotten how to apply a relaxer, let alone get it out in time before it did any damage. Even if I wanted to go back... its too late now.:nono: No turning back.

End of rant, lol.

I think I'm doing good--- I'm 10 months post as of two days ago :drunk: My hair looks great straight, not so great airdrying because of the bulk. I think when I have enough to have a decent sized pony the bulk on top of my head will shrink... right now its just all this natural hair on my head and a ponytail of relaxed hair sticking out in the back. Not cute.:perplexed

I just joined lchf yesterday. I have been natural since Dec. 99. My last relaxer was in March 99, so it only took about 10 months for me to get fed-up with the relaxed ends. :) When I got my BC, I had about 4/5 inches of all natural hair.

Although I was a bit impatient, I think I can offer lots of knowledge. I wore protective styles without any heat straightening the whole ten months. My hair was about three inches past shoulder length.

I alternated between big plaits (about 10 total) and a braid-out every week. On Sunday I'd wash, condition and braid. Monday - Wed, wear the plaits under a cute scarf or headwrap, then wear a braid-out Thurs. - Sat. I had minimal shedding and my hair looked and felt great.

This sounds exactly like what I was thinking!! I feel better about trying this routine now. =)

Back