Transitioners support thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Bublnbrnsuga
  • Start date Start date
I'll make 4 months tomorrow. I normally would have relaxed a month ago. But now I'm in a pickle anyway because I want a short bob cut. Haven't ever had a complete short cut... So, I'm not really sure what to do. I want the cut but don't want the relaxer... Don't know how this will work out. I've given myself until the new year or more or less new years eve to decide what I'm going to do.

It will be a year for me on December 28. I'm getting antsy. I really want to BC, but then again, I said I was just going to let my hair grow and do what it wants. My texture difference isn't all that different since I cut off all the bone straight hair (all I have left is texlaxed ends), but I'm still not sure.

You are all SO VERY inspirational!!! I'm going to be itching to cut when i'm 11months post... GOOD GOING LADIES!!!!

11 weeks since last relaxer - my hair is in braids so making it much eaiser to transition

This is how I transitioned staying in braids for 11 months non-stop. Didn't want to do a B/C. Worked out okay for me. Now I am ready to take care of my natural hair.

I'll make 4 months tomorrow. I normally would have relaxed a month ago. But now I'm in a pickle anyway because I want a short bob cut. Haven't ever had a complete short cut... So, I'm not really sure what to do. I want the cut but don't want the relaxer... Don't know how this will work out. I've given myself until the new year or more or less new years eve to decide what I'm going to do.

I'm using my transitioning time to try out styles that I normally wouldn't do because I wouldn't want to cut my hair. A couple of days ago I got layers cut into my hair (longest is brastrap; shortest is shoulder length) and love it. In a few months I'll probably go shorter. I think transitioning is a good time to experiment. My philosophy is that if I'm going to cut off all that hair I might as well have some fun with it. I should mention that I am still wearing my hair straight (airdry in ponytail and flat iron) or in braidouts. I would never go so short that I can't do my emergency style (ponytail).

This is how I transitioned staying in braids for 11 months non-stop. Didn't want to do a B/C. Worked out okay for me. Now I am ready to take care of my natural hair.

Good to know. I want to try out some braided styles or twist extentions once I reach 18 months so I gain a few more inches before I cut. I'm a bit scared to though. I have a lot of research to do.

I had freestyle braids since thanksgiving and couldnt take it anymore... I NEED to wash my hair daily.. but I cant believe the growth that I retained..its so much thicker and starting to hang a little more. I was VERY tempted to cut off all the relaxed ends and not deal with it anymore, but I had to tell myself...no ponytail, no cutting. I want a full ponytail before I BC all my relaxed ends.. so however long that takes. :perplexed

I'm using my transitioning time to try out styles that I normally wouldn't do because I wouldn't want to cut my hair. A couple of days ago I got layers cut into my hair (longest is brastrap; shortest is shoulder length) and love it. In a few months I'll probably go shorter. I think transitioning is a good time to experiment. My philosophy is that if I'm going to cut off all that hair I might as well have some fun with it. I should mention that I am still wearing my hair straight (airdry in ponytail and flat iron) or in braidouts. I would never go so short that I can't do my emergency style (ponytail).

I actually did get it cut into a bob... love it to pieces! :) Right now it's kind of puffy, but I'm not a heat kind of girl, so this makes me want to learn how to braid even more. I can still clamp it, roll it if need be. so, I'm good. I need to stay away from ponytails because I was obviously pulling the hair too tight for the front edges. I felt the need to relax, then just decided I didn't want to. lol... ahh the drama.

tomorrow will mark one year relaxer free :D
I think I'm going to wait another 6 months before I do the BC... maybe longer

I didn't think I could do it, but i did :grin::grin::grin::grin:

tomorrow will mark one year relaxer free :D
I think I'm going to wait another 6 months before I do the BC... maybe longer

I didn't think I could do it, but i did :grin::grin::grin::grin:

Congrats!

I'm coming up on 10 months. Every day I realize I'm doing the best thing for my hair. I'm ready to chop it off but with the cold weather I know a TWA would not do well.
I've already bought products for when my hair is natural! I'm so excited.

I'm on my 11th month. About to do another mini-chop. I love my natural hair, I can't wait to cut it all off. But I need hair for the holidays!!

the results of the cut... here

I made a post in the hair forum, but this is for those who just come in and check the threads they normally visit... lol.

3 months into transitioning here. Its going okay. I've been relaxed all my life, basically. So I can't remember my real hair. I think my parents did my first relaxer when I was like..5.. I hate the parts sticking up on the top of my head, but, I'll live. I really want to do this. I want to be healthier all over. And (to me) a healthy head of hair is one that doesn't have all the harsh chemicals. I hope to eventually find "Green" hair care that my hair likes. I don't plan on BCing. Just trimming off an inch here and there, because I can't STAND short hair on myself. I look like a boy. I did cut two inches off on my own when I got white paint in them and it didn't want to come out. So, that was my first cut. I plan to slowly cut my ends off until my hair is natural chin length, that's the shortest that I can deal with..

Last edited:
I made 10 months into my transition on the 7th of this month. It hasn't been hard considering I have been doin kinky twist since my decision, but I was dissappointed this morning after I took my twist out last night and washed today, to have a palm full of broken hairs. So I'm not goin to be doin braids, but rather wearing wigs so that I can pay extra close attention to my hair and go back to 3 to 4 cowashes a week and dc'in on the weekend. I will transition until Aug '08.

It's been 5 months since my last relaxer. I thought things were going well. Until a couple of weeks ago after washing my hair and slicking it back, I noticed hairs sticking up. I realized it's natural hair where the relaxed part has broken off. It's not just one or two hairs. Now I am scared. Will I have to BC before I planned? Is this happening to anyone else? Is it normal? I don't want to wait another six months to year to BC only to have unhealthy natural hair.

I'm about 16 months into my transition and every time I wash my hair
I want to do the big cut. I'm trying to be patient and wait until just before
summer(the growing season) before I do anything....but it's so hard.

My last relaxer was 4 months ago, and I everything is going smoothly. I cut about 3 inches last week, so I'm somewhere between armpit and bra-strap. Since my cut, I have less tangles and very little shedding. I think I will do my big chop when my hair is bob length, I guess around chin length.

It's been 5 months since my last relaxer. I thought things were going well. Until a couple of weeks ago after washing my hair and slicking it back, I noticed hairs sticking up. I realized it's natural hair where the relaxed part has broken off. It's not just one or two hairs. Now I am scared. Will I have to BC before I planned? Is this happening to anyone else? Is it normal? I don't want to wait another six months to year to BC only to have unhealthy natural hair.

Yup it's happened to me right at the front of my hair. It gets annoying sometimes... just up the protein treatments :)

I'm almost 7 months post, and i wanna chop so badly. My relaxed ends feel so terrible and my hair won't grow fast enough, but I"m gonna have to stick it out because I'm transitiong for 2 years. I won't be able to cut until June 2009 :nono:

Transitioner checking in. I started my natural journey...yesterday..LOL I'm at 10 weeks post and I do NOT plan on doing any BC's.

I did an Aphogee hardcore treatment today since i noticed a lot of shedding/breaking off and I did an ACV rinse which is helping my scalp a LOT! You can literally eat off my scalp it's so clean!

I plan to get me a nice bonnet dryer and learn to do wet rollersets by myself a little better because I can't keep pulling that hand dryer through these naps if i want to go natural.

If it starts getting too hard for me, i plan on going to the salon for some kinky twists to hold me over.

Check back in later!

Yes..I am close to 9 months in and around the 6 month, I started seeing short fuzzies in the front that would not lay down no matter what I did..now those fuzzies are about half way to the top of my head. I had a baby about 2 years ago and experienced some post partum thinning around the temples..I wanted to believe that the shorters hairs were a result of new natural hairs growing back in rather than old relaxed hair breaking off at the natural line...dunno.

Back