Transitioners support thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Bublnbrnsuga
  • Start date Start date
balisi said:
Good for you angellazette! That was some pretty good self-intervention! :lol:

It was hard!

I think my hair may need to be styled while still very wet. For those ladies who style while wet, what tools do you use to minimize breakage??

I'm going to practice some styles Friday...twists, bantu's...I don't have much hair so I'll try my best.

angellazette said:
It was hard!
I think my hair may need to be styled while still very wet. For those ladies who style while wet, what tools do you use to minimize breakage??

Good for you for resisting. I had a not-great detangling session last night. I think my mistakes were:

-not clearing shed hair before I washed
-braiding my bangs into the rest of my hair for washing--it mats the bangs every time I do this (when will i learn) :(
-over manipulation of my hair while washing--I was clarifying because of buildup, and I overcompensated

Well, back to your question: I don't need to style while very wet, but it's best to be damp. I use my fingers (my hair is not working well with brushes) to braid my hair after washing. I can't imagine doing a wash and go with my transitioning hair. I also usually use a denman sometimes after detangling to clear my shed hair. I haven't used a comb in weeks. I plait my hair every night--tangles concern me too much to sleep with loose hair.

I detangled prior to my wash using my Denman...it detangled pretty well and I didn't need to do extensive detangling after my deep condition. Everything is good up at that point....maybe I shouldn't rinse the conditioner out, or rinse very little. I think I'm going to try not rinsing the conditioner out...sometimes when I've deep conditioned in the past and left it in overnight, by the time I would rinse, it wouldn't be as wet but my hair was still soft...

angellazette said:
I detangled prior to my wash using my Denman...it detangled pretty well and I didn't need to do extensive detangling after my deep condition. Everything is good up at that point....maybe I shouldn't rinse the conditioner out, or rinse very little. I think I'm going to try not rinsing the conditioner out...sometimes when I've deep conditioned in the past and left it in overnight, by the time I would rinse, it wouldn't be as wet but my hair was still soft...

What has helped me in detangling is washing in ponytailed sections(4 of them)..I can't detangle no other way. I do EVERYTHING in ponytailed sections. Before washing, I part my hair while dry and section off. If needed, I then detangle each section. However, my hair detangles much better while it is wet though.

I usually don't "style" my hair wet. I generally detangle, add my leave-ins and/or moisturizers, use my denman to brush my hair back, section by section, then pull everything into a ponytail. I air dry this way. I usually use a shea butter mix on my roots, so when my hair has dryed it is very soft and pliable.

Leaving the conditioner in or just rinsing a little out works like a dream too.

Last week, I deep conditioned (overnight) with the ORS Olive Oil Replenishing Pak. When I rinsed, the comb glided through my hair like nobody's busy. My hair felt so silky.

I'm 29 weeks post so far.

ETA: The tools I use:
Starting at the nape, Part section with rattail end of comb(about four parts)
Detangle/comb with wide tooth comb
Add shea mix to roots to ends, brush with boar's hair brush.
When finished with that particular section, I brush back with my denman/or denman knock-off.

HTH,

~op~

Last edited:
Thanks onepraying...my detangling has been going well lately. My MAIN issue is keeping my hair moisturized, which is why I've been debating on the airdrying issue, and keeping conditioner in my hair, styling while wet, etc. Maybe I should stop using shampoos and only do cw's. I actually added conditioner to my shampoo the last few times and I still get the dry, not moisturized hair after it has airdried. I always have this issue after I wash...hmmm, maybe the shampoo is my culprit.

angellazette said:
I actually added conditioner to my shampoo the last few times and I still get the dry, not moisturized hair after it has airdried. I always have this issue after I wash...hmmm, maybe the shampoo is my culprit.

I only wash once weekly, so I always shampoo. My hair craves moisture, though, so I load my hair with conditioners (olive oil too for pre) for a prepoo and then for at least an hour after shampooing.

I haven't used heat since June. After I condition, I use about three leave-ins to detangle and moisturize. I braid my hair and put a little melted shea butter/palm oil, rosemary mixture on each section before I braid it. I sleep with it braided and flexirod rolled.

My hair is still well conditioned the next morning after washing.

At night, I spritz with my homemade moisture spritz, add jamaican mango & cactus leave-in and braid. Then I sleep with a shower cap with a satin scarf. I take off the scarf and cap as soon as I wake up so the hair has time to dry.

I haven't had a moisture problem since I started this routine because both my natural hair and relaxed stay well moisturized.

It looks like you have a good system going Cheleigh! I shampoo once weekly also but I may move it up to monthly, unless I'm using really heavy products.

My regimen now is:

detangle dirty, but well oiled hair
shampoo
deep condition
apply extra conditioner
apply coconut oil to seal in
airdry
braid
tie up in satin scarf

I spritz daily while it's braided and oil every other night and at THIS stage, it is good and moisturized all week. That's why I think it *may* be the shampoo.

Thanks for all the help/ideas ladies!

angellazette said:
Thanks onepraying...my detangling has been going well lately. My MAIN issue is keeping my hair moisturized, which is why I've been debating on the airdrying issue, and keeping conditioner in my hair, styling while wet, etc. Maybe I should stop using shampoos and only do cw's. I actually added conditioner to my shampoo the last few times and I still get the dry, not moisturized hair after it has airdried. I always have this issue after I wash...hmmm, maybe the shampoo is my culprit.

Good to hear about the detangling....also glad you tried the C+COW+C method.........How long have you had the drying issue? Have you noticed it getting dryer as your hair grows out more? Is it the length(relaxed ends) or newgrowth or BOTH that is dry?

You could start with eliminating or limiting the poos, OR find poos w/ out the Lauryl/Laureth Sulfates. J/A/S/O/N makes great moisturizing poo's w/out the ALS and SLS.

Let's get to the bottom of this....what moisturizers are you using?

onepraying said:
Good to hear about the detangling....also glad you tried the C+COW+C method.........How long have you had the drying issue? Have you noticed it getting dryer as your hair grows out more? Is it the length(relaxed ends) or newgrowth or BOTH that is dry?

You could start with eliminating or limiting the poos, OR find poos w/ out the Lauryl/Laureth Sulfates. J/A/S/O/N makes great moisturizing poo's w/out the ALS and SLS.

Let's get to the bottom of this....what moisturizers are you using?

Onepraying, the drying has become more of an issue recently. I can't exactly pinpoint a date, but just thinking back to photos in my album when I didn't have the problem, gives me an idea of July-August. It starts off with my ends, then seems to move up the shaft. After I wash, I apply a bit more conditioner and coconut oil. I guess I don't have a specific product/leave in for moisturizing after my wash. During the week I use a spritz of conditioner/water followed by my oil mix. Then again, I don't notice this issue during the week.

angellazette said:
Onepraying, the drying has become more of an issue recently. I can't exactly pinpoint a date, but just thinking back to photos in my album when I didn't have the problem, gives me an idea of July-August. It starts off with my ends, then seems to move up the shaft. After I wash, I apply a bit more conditioner and coconut oil. I guess I don't have a specific product/leave in for moisturizing after my wash. During the week I use a spritz of conditioner/water followed by my oil mix. Then again, I don't notice this issue during the week.

It sounds like the combo of conditioner ccnut oil and condish mix spritz is working for you during the week. What do you do on the weekends though? Are you styling differently and this is where you are seeing the dryness? Are you pre-pooing?

I used to use a condish mix with a little oil added during the week as well, depending on how I was wearing my hair. However, have you ever tried Shea butter? It has truly been a godsend for me! I create a creamy mixture by melting it down just enough to stir it good. Then I stir in, a little evoo, FOTE av gel, FOTE vita. e gel and sometimes a little Surge LM#9. I apply this to my hair soaking wet after my final rinse, then brush into a ponytail. I air dry like this for several days(that's how long it takes my hair to airdry :( ) Meanwhile, once I take it down, my hair is nice and moist. Currently, my hair is pressed and it is STILL moist.

I use a little water to spritz when styling during the week sometimes, otherwise my hair is continually moist until my next wash. Sure I add some shea to my edges or ends during styling during the week sometimes as an aid, but not for extra moisture, because it is there.

I remember Poohbear having problems with airdrying during her transition. You may want to pm her for ideas and suggestions.

I do the spritzing all week and on the weekends...the only thing I do differently on the weekend is...shampoo. So as I mentioned before, that's why I believe that *may* be a reason...the shampooing.

ETA I thought Poohbear wasn't a member here anymore.

angellazette said:
I do the spritzing all week and on the weekends...the only thing I do differently on the weekend is...shampoo. So as I mentioned before, that's why I believe that *may* be a reason...the shampooing.

ETA I thought Poohbear wasn't a member here anymore.

Hmm.....I didn't know that. I'm halfway here myself... :ohwell:

I am trying really hard to do it now, but I am having breakage in one spot in the back. It has been since June 24,2005 since my last touch up. This seems so much harder and alot of breakage and I am about to give in to Phyto. Please help if you can :crying3: :crying3: :crying3:

Prince3 said:
I am trying really hard to do it now, but I am having breakage in one spot in the back. It has been since June 24,2005 since my last touch up. This seems so much harder and alot of breakage and I am about to give in to Phyto. Please help if you can :crying3: :crying3: :crying3:

I feel your frustration but please don't give up. I was feeling like you just last week. Try to keep your hair moisterized and find a simple style, one that requires very little manipulation while you transition.

HTH,

Donna

DSylla said:
I feel your frustration but please don't give up. I was feeling like you just last week. Try to keep your hair moisterized and find a simple style, one that requires very little manipulation while you transition.

HTH,

Donna

I agree with DSylla--

Breakage usually stems from one of three problems:
-Not enough moisture (usually #1)
-Too much manipulation (wearing it out too much, not detangling properly, or handling your hair too roughly)
-Too much heat

I do have to say that transitioning is not easy--someone once said that transitioning is not for the weak--in many ways, doing the BC is easier.

But it is not an unmanagable process. This week marks my 6th month of transitioning. The key (for me) is to repsect both textures--your natural and your relaxed hair may have different needs, but if you want to keep both on your head, you need to cater to them both.

Thank you all for the support, but I guess the reason I am down is the breakage has created a bald spot. I do not know what to do about it. I am just wearing my hair slicked back because of the length. I would like to transition to a texturizer.

Well I did a cw and deep conditioned, then did some experimental twists and bantu's. I'm still airdrying, it's mostly dry but I must say that I don't have ANY of the dryness I was experiencing before on wash day. Next week I'm going to try a cw with just a teeeeeeny tiny bit of shampoo and see what kind of results I get.

I've been buying all kinds of conditioners, Nexus, Motions, Suave, John Frieda, etc.
The only conditioner that detangles my hair nicely is Lehair cholesterol (sp). I'm going to the store to stock up today!

Congrats Dsylla. My daily must-haves are:

-Motions After Shampoo Moisture-Plus Conditioner (one of the best I have found yet...loosens my curl pattern a little and makes combing SO MUCH EASIER! I have been there with Humectress and 'er thang. I also use Lustrasilk Herbal Cholesterol w/Carrot Oil. That's really good too.
-NTM Sheer Hydration Leave-In Foam
-NTM Silk Touch Leave-In Cream
-EQP Mango Butter...magicly works for me now. :D

So far my transition is going great.

BUMP!!!!

I'm 8 months post today...still trying to do new styles and still sucking at it! Some days I just want to BC and see what I'm working with. The reason I don't is because I would really like more length. I'm leaning towards buying the Braids by Breslin DVD's to try kinky twists.

I am so jealous of all of you who do can do cute styles!

angellazette said:
BUMP!!!!

I'm 8 months post today...still trying to do new styles and still sucking at it! Some days I just want to BC and see what I'm working with. The reason I don't is because I would really like more length. I'm leaning towards buying the Braids by Breslin DVD's to try kinky twists.

I am so jealous of all of you who do can do cute styles!

Let me know how you like the Braids by Breslin DVDs...I have not been doing any cute styles like knots, flat twists or cornrows because I don't know how!

I'm 29 weeks post, and I'm not going to BC for a while (well, goal is by March).

Congratulations on 8 months post!

ETA: Okay, why didn't anyone tell me that my post looked completely unintelligable!? I was like "who the heck wrote THAT post?"--then I saw it was me. :blush:

Last edited:
This thread is so awesome. I didn't know this thread was several months old. Such positivity!

I haven't been to the hair forum in ages because I've been getting my hair done at the shop. I love seeing a natural headed black woman. It's so fresh and pure looking. I'm having mixed feelings about transitioning though. I would LOVE to be a natural but I don't want to go through figuring out what my hair likes (when I'm having trouble doing that now, relaxed), maybe doing the big chop and finding out how to wear different styles. I am not one to wear extensions or braids and I don't know how to do a twist out. My hair is 6 weeks post relaxer and I tip my hats off to you women who have gone 6 months, etc. Thats amazing.

My hair in it's current stage is a V shape and randomly uneven. I wrapped my hair last night to give it a break from sleeping in rollers and did not want to wear it out and down today in public. The back is growing, but is very thin and the sides, uh, don't even get me started. As I run my fingers through my hair, the roots are thick, the ends are thin. I'm so tired of it. I moisturize, use serum, condition, oil, no heat, etc. I would love to have thick even hair all around. I am really considering this you guys. I truely think that by going natural will be for the better. My edges won't be all broken off, no more relaxers (although I love walking out the shop with a fresh relaxer with a bouncy rollerset), no more thin ends...and in the meantime I can explain to my hair dresser that I am transitioning and I can get a straw set/flexi rod set or something.

Have any of you ladies transitioned and still wore a rollerset (and flatironed the roots when needed)? I think I may do this. I really do.

I would have to say lovelymissyoli. She does the damn thing when it comes to flexi's, strawsets, etc. Check out her album!

Side note, I did two minichops on each side of my head by my ears. It is really easy to end up chopping everything, I had to stop myself! Anyway, I plan to use these points to chart any MTG progress I get. It was also much easier to style these two little sections all natural than with the relaxed ends. My twist looked better and my twistout was more defined. I think I'll be pleased when I chop it all off, but I'm still wanting more length before I do...

angellazette said:
I would have to say lovelymissyoli. She does the damn thing when it comes to flexi's, strawsets, etc. Check out her album!

Side note, I did two minichops on each side of my head by my ears. It is really easy to end up chopping everything, I had to stop myself! Anyway, I plan to use these points to chart any MTG progress I get. It was also much easier to style these two little sections all natural than with the relaxed ends. My twist looked better and my twistout was more defined. I think I'll be pleased when I chop it all off, but I'm still wanting more length before I do...

You aint never lying!!! lovelymissyoli is the bomb when it comes to transitioning styles. I have been trying to do the flexi-rod with her on-line assistance, I can say that I am getting better, but she is the Bomb Diggitty! I have her album in my favorites. She is my hair idol :)

It's been 16 weeks for me and I am ready to cut all of this relaxed hair off. I was using my steam rollers for about 3 days in a row, and it looks as if they damaged my hair. My hair was doing so well and now it has turned on me. It is FRIZZY.

It's been 18 months for me and I'm ready for these permed ends to go. Everytime I wash my hair I practice looking for the demarcation line and cutting with my fingers, haha.

Back