Today's Woman & Cooking for her Man....Yay or Nay

I see what you're getting at. It's just weird to me that people focus so much on cooking a meal but will sex a dude without much thought or consideration.

ITA

Yes, I cook for my SO and I like to do it. It is a way I show him that I care about him. He does things for me to show that he cares as well. He has never borrowed my car, but I would let him. He would let me borrow his. He is more than my SO, he is my best friend.

Just like my other friends, I will cook for them, take them soup when they are sick and take them to the airport or whatever. I can't believe that the simple act of cooking has been construed to a point that women feel that it is beneath them or something they will only do if married to a man. He should be your friend first and I treat my friends well.

I see what you're getting at. It's just weird to me that people focus so much on cooking a meal but will sex a dude without much thought or consideration.

But sex is a gift I also give myself :look:

Anyway, the video reminds me of all these girls who used to cook for my brother when he was in his late teens. And for those who said this is a black thing, none of them girls were black.

I've never cooked for a man, but I would. Just because the older I get the more I want to try new recipes and learn how to cook better.

I cook for my bf because I care about his health and I know my cooking is the only way he or I will eat healthy food. If it's left up to him, he will eat fast food or at a restaurant 3 times a day 7 days a week smh

I would not cook or clean for a boyfriend, but I will for my husband. Also, most guys I date know how to cook and clean for themselves.

As an attorney, there will be many times when I'm too tired to cook, though.

To me it's more than just sex.

If I cook for myself I'll give you a plate just like I would a friend or family. I'm not selfish but expecting me to cook and clean for you on the regular I can't do.

And I'm not judging anyone who does this. Everyone's rlp is different. Only you know the dynamics of your rlp.

Eh, what would you like to eat tooday? Fish o chiken?
I will prepare boat. I will cook for you babee. Wait for me eh.

:lachen::lachen::lachen:

^^Yeah, it had me cracking up. Especially since my sis and I love African movies. Sometime we get so into the movies and culture that we being to used certain words and accents unintentionally. Then we tell each other: Ok, no more African movies for you....lol.

YES, this is off-topic and I AM hijacking my own thread. But I started this thread, so I can do that! Hahahaha....:grin:

(Don't mind me ya'll, I'm in a goofy mood. If you only knew what I've been going through lately, you'd see why I need any kind of relaxation I can get.)

I like to cook and occasionally do for my SO but he doesn't expect it. It's not that serious to me. We do things for each other. I don't clean though.

I have been wondering about the "husband privileges" that some always mention on here.

I guess I give him some "husband privileges" and he gives me some "wife privileges". :ohwell: Different strokes...
Personally, its not the 'action" thats a husband privilege. Its the frequency of the act.

Cooking for a man is great, when you want to do something special. Him expecting not to feed himself because he thinks that you will is a problem. Helping him clean up the office because he's stressed out and has an important meeting coming up that he needs to prepare for. Cool. Doing it every Thursday because he now expects it is a problem.

But yea...LHCF is funny. People post rules that they themselves don't abide by in order not to be stuck in the "doing too much for a man" bucket; meanwhile, offline.... :lol:

Personally, its not the 'action" thats a husband privilege. Its the frequency of the act.

Cooking for a man is great, when you want to do something special. Him expecting not to feed himself because he thinks that you will is a problem. Helping him clean up the office because he's stressed out and has an important meeting coming up that he needs to prepare for. Cool. Doing it every Thursday because he now expects it is a problem.

But yea...LHCF is funny. People post rules that they themselves don't abide by in order not to be stuck in the "doing too much for a man" bucket; meanwhile, offline.... :lol:

He knows not to expect me to feed him. I like to cook, most days, so it doesn't really bother me. I cook and he gets to eat. I don't cook just for him...I have to eat too. He cooks sometimes too.

We do things for each other, though. So it is not a big deal to me.

I love to cook, not a huge fan of take-out every day. I cook for my family, friends, and the SO as well and yes, I do even fix his plate every now and then.

However, my SO cooks as well... and fixes my plate every time he does. Matter of fact, he threw down yesterday (steak, grilled shrimp, and broc...yummy!!:lick:).

Last edited:
Ok, I thought I'd share this comical (yet somewhat understandable) video and get a conversation going about today's girl cooking for her man, and the role cooking plays in the modern relationship. Are some of us still following more traditional roles? Is the newer generation of ladies more averse to cooking? Why are men claiming that less and less young women can cook? Just throwing out a few questions to get the ball rolling...

The video brought to mind an old saying: Don't give a boyfriend husband privileges. :grin: So where do YOU draw the line?

Here's the vid: http://news1.ghananation.com/headli...present-the-average-woman-of-today-video.html

I'm glad I checked before posting this video. This chick is hilarious!!! The African outfit had me in stitches!

Haven't watched the video...but with the guys I've dated, I cooked just enough so that they knew I could cook, LOL. Thankfully, the men I've dated did 95% of the cooking, so it was all good. They knew I COULD cook, but they loved cooking, so it was a win-win.

The closest I've ever come to cleaning or doing laundry was making up my ex's bed....ONCE.

My potential SO now and I live in different states, so don't have to worry about that right now. He knows I can cook because I show him pictures :lol:

Last edited:
^I think that is what a lot of women who can cook do. She lets him know that she can cook.

Who is the grammy winner?

Last edited:

Nail on the head... :spinning:

I'm glad I checked before posting this video. This chick is hilarious!!! The African outfit had me in stitches!

Where did you see the video? I found it on Ghana Nation, but was looking to see if she had a youtube channel. Please let me know if you saw it on youtube. TIA.

chocolat79;13403249[B said:
]Haven't watched the video[/B].....

Girl watch the darn video, lol.:grin: It's too funny... :drunk:

For those who had no problem with it (or for anyone who wants to answer):

How would you ladies feel about your young daughter (around 18-22) cooking for her man?

ITA

Yes, I cook for my SO and I like to do it. It is a way I show him that I care about him. He does things for me to show that he cares as well. He has never borrowed my car, but I would let him. He would let me borrow his. He is more than my SO, he is my best friend.

Just like my other friends, I will cook for them, take them soup when they are sick and take them to the airport or whatever. I can't believe that the simple act of cooking has been construed to a point that women feel that it is beneath them or something they will only do if married to a man. He should be your friend first and I treat my friends well.

It's not just the simple act of cooking, either.

Some, not all women, are so wrapped in thinking that certain acts they do, or do not do, or do 'too soon', or wait 'too late' to do, that they lose sight of the simple fact that not all relationships are going to work out regardless of your actions. Sometimes it's just not meant to be in my opinion. Sometimes you could do everything just right and a man still won't want you...you could do everything wrong and the man could be worshipping the ground you walk on simply because for whatever unexplainable reason(s), he just happens to love you as you are, faults and all.

All I'm saying is, sometimes you 'can' actually just be yourself without all of the rules and calculated moves and overanalysis. I hope that makes sense.

:yep:

For some women cooking is a big part of who they are. They love cooking for themselves and others. I personally have a much bigger problem with the having sex, living together, loaning $ etc. If things don't work out I doubt a woman will feel like a fool for cooking all that delicious food, but she may regret sex too soon, cleaning his house, and helping him pay his bills. IMO cooking is not that big of deal at all. If you enjoy cooking, cook. Shoot people will bake cookies and a cake for co-workers. To me it's an expression of creativity and kindness.

I don't mind cooking for my SO, but I make sure he does not expect it. I even fix his plate, that's what my mom does. He usually cooked breakfast, that's all I trusted him to make. If I cooked he cleaned the kitchen, so it was a give and take situation.

Yes, I would do light cleaning at his place, because he was junky. He would leave his cups everywhere, have papers on the couch, and little things like that. I hate clutter and its hard for me to focus with crap everywhere. I do it for my own sanity. It helped set a standard, he started keeping his crap more organized. I think he hated me throwing his stuff away. :yep:

I like to keep things simple and equal and split the cooking. Or if he only know how to cook eggs. then heck he does breakfast i'll do dinner lol. but either way as long as the appreciation is on both ends i'm fine.

My last boyfriend did the most cooking. Actually I never cooked for him. Never cleaned for him. But I don't feel a girlfriend should do it unless it is for a special occasion. I see no reason to act like I'm married to a man if I'm not. And I firmly believe that the decrease in men interested in getting married is partially due to getting everything marriage entails without having to actually get married.

Unfortunately most women I know cook frequently for their boyfriends. They are essentially auditioning to be a wife. It has nothing to do with eating out too much. You don't have to do all of that. If he wants to marry you he will.

First off the video was on point. There is nothing wrong with cooking for any one AS LONG AS IT IS FOR THE RIGHT REASON. Before my current job, I would cook at the drop of a hat, people would come in and out, even my dog who was constantly making herself self sick eating garbage as a puppy would cash in on a puppy stomache ache meal. And at the time this included my SO (at the time). But this was much later (after the first 3 months) and not regularly until after the first 6 months as a stated couple. And only b/c I wanted. I love to cook, bake ect. He was a chief and he woud cook as well. We aren't together anymore but he still has a recipe for turkey burgers I would kill for.

I digress, cook if you want to, but I would still wait till later in the relationship. He needs to spend some serious time woo'ing you before you start being extra nice. People see cooking as some elaborate thing. IDK why. But they do. So what seems like a small thing to you may have a different meaning.

FYI my mother didn't cook (per stories) til I was 5 and thay had been married for 7 years. And she could, she just doesn't like to. So its not a deal breaker to a good relationship.

Oh but he would clean my place and take out the trash pretty much everytime he was over. Even before I did anything for him. I don't do trash.

Back