To my "BFF"

naturallygoldie

When you find out your best friend is not really your friend; a ventahem

Dear friend,

You know what, you were right, it is me. Surely we've disagreed before and somehow I always fixed things. Yes MOI.

But things are different now right. And it sucks right? It sucks so much that you couldn't resist bringing a 3rd party into this. Boy bye! She and I probably have nothing in common besides you and food. But it's nice to know she goes hard for you. Telling me what I need to do,..and how I should go over to you blah blah blah, and the astrology bit? Nice touch kiddo. Feels wonderful that I've been the highlight of ya'll convos but I cannot be made to do anything! I do what I want.

I'm not polite out of courtesy or have-to-ness. I'm polite when it's warranted. I've always fixed things and played by your rules. However, your latest shanegans sparked a rather striking ephiphany: I DON'T WANT TO PLAY THIS GAME ANY MORE. YOU SIR, ARE NOT MY FRIEND.

Yea, we both agreed to "work on things" but um, no. No thanks. Our attempt at small talk earlier felt forced; almost as if I was trying to eat something unappetizing on a full stomach. I'm good.

Some things cannot be fixed. So simple of a convo revealed your true colors and none of them make up my rainbow. I know you like a book but I'm done trying to figure out what page you're on.

Yep that felt good.

This does seem like a break up letter. I don't understand why when a guy friend has a girlfriend why it's so hard for female friends to fall back and respect their relationship. I'm sure he cares for you as a friend, and you may have been the top woman in his life before, but you're not now. It's just a different set of rules when it comes to m/f BFFs. I once my guy BFFs have SOs I fall back to respect their relationship. I don't call as much, if I want to hang out I would offer to hang out with him and his SO and/or double date with my SO the first several times so she would get to know me first.

I know I don't know the nuances of your situation, but 9 out of 10 times any drama could have been prevented by falling back a little.

Last edited:
This does seem like a break up letter. I don't understand why when a guy friend has a girlfriend why it's so hard for female friends to fall back and respect their relationship. I'm sure he cares for you as a friend, and you may have been the top woman in his life before, but you're not now. It's just a different set of rules when it comes to m/f BFFs. I once my guy BFFs have SOs I fall back to respect their relationship. I don't call as much, if I want to hang out I would offer to hang out with him and his SO and/or double date with my SO the first several times so she would get to know me first.

I know I don't know the nuances of your situation, but 9 out of 10 times any drama could have been prevented by falling back a little.

I didn't pick up on this until you said it. OP - is the 3rd party his GF?

I felt so much better after writing this a week ago! Your comments made me :smile:

The 3rd party is not his gf BUT was hell bent on talking to me. When I finally responded to her texts, she had a million and one questions! His actual gf? That's a whole thread in itself *whew*

When it started to feel like I should be getting a check from Mona Scott or Ashton was about to jump out and say I've been punked, I knew it was time to just stfu and let the situation be.

And yes he was just my BFF (who evidently loves drama)

Back