This is why a lot of Black women are going bald.....

Sugarhoney

...from trusting these bad AA stylist..

Am I the only one disturbed by the relaxing practices of this woman...

no gloves at first...and then relaxes the nape first...looks so damaging..

and then she says the client has "doesn't have a bad texture of hair, but a good texture of hair". :rolleyes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jR7E8hvhqI

Wow not only that but putting it on the edges in the beginning. If she did that to me I would have a mohawk. That's why I don't trust them. Actually most stylists.

Bad relaxer application techniques, I'm afraid are universal, and are not just AA stylist as pictured in this video. I think hair growth challenges are a cultural problem due to bad advice originating from home and perpetuated by some stylist.

1. I would never trust a stylist with a wig. If I can not see the shape your hair is in, you can not touch mine.

2. If it's a "good texture" of hair, then why relax it?

...from trusting these bad AA stylist..

Am I the only one disturbed by the relaxing practices of this woman...

no gloves at first...and then relaxes the nape first...looks so damaging..

and then she says the client has "doesn't have a bad texture of hair, but a good texture of hair". :rolleyes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jR7E8hvhqI

Where you start applying the relaxer depends on the person. If your hair is most resisitant at the nape that is where you start. If its resistent at the crown that is where you start.

I would say sh's definetely unprofessional. How can you stop what your're doing and put on gloves with one section left? :ohwell: The gloves are for her safety. Relaxer isn't something you want sitting your your actual skin to long because you will get a chemical burn faster than on your scalp.

Black hairstylist are no good.

I would Never go to a Black stylist again,Ever;they are the worst!!....I even stopped going to dominicans for my touch-ups....The best stylist I know is an Asian man and he knows more about black hair then they do.

She was also doing the video in a living room.
Just because it is on You Tube - does not make it reputable, or correct.

I have seen lots of bad videos with incorrect info.

Ok.....the thing about black stylist, my aunt does hair and she does a great job, only three people put a relaxer in my hair and that's me, my cousin, and my aunt.....and that's over time(10+ years), there are some black stylists who can do some hair, it's just that you have to find the right ones, the ones who are not jealous of how you take care of hair, those who care and who take care of their hair....I mean who goes to a woman who has a wig to do a relaxer? Then she puts the gloves on after the fact.....and she looks like she's overlapping....this video is very disappointing, but you should not judge all black stylists based on this video, i'm sure there are a bunch of black stylists who can't do hair and who can....it's about finding them....I'm not a stylist, but I'm defending my aunt and my cousin, cuz they do a great job....my money is tight and right now I have to do my hair, but best believe when I get some bills I'm going back to my aunt.......not trying to knock anyone's opinion down, but just stating my opinion.

I would not say that all black hair stylists are no good.

I was say look at how the stylist takes care of her real hair. Then go from there.

Or how she keeps up her shop. etc.. etc...

Ok.....the thing about black stylist, my aunt does hair and she does a great job, only three people put a relaxer in my hair and that's me, my cousin, and my aunt.....and that's over time(10+ years), there are some black stylists who can do some hair, it's just that you have to find the right ones, the ones who are not jealous of how you take care of hair, those who care and who take care of their hair....I mean who goes to a woman who has a wig to do a relaxer? Then she puts the gloves on after the fact.....and she looks like she's overlapping....this video is very disappointing, but you should not judge all black stylists based on this video, i'm sure there are a bunch of black stylists who can't do hair and who can....it's about finding them....I'm not a stylist, but I'm defending my aunt and my cousin, cuz they do a great job....my money is tight and right now I have to do my hair, but best believe when I get some bills I'm going back to my aunt.......not trying to knock anyone's opinion down, but just stating my opinion.

I don't think that all stylists are bad. Sadly, I think MOST of them are. Hence why we have this site.

I don't think the lack of professionalism, competence or experience is solely limited to black stylists... I have had experiences with both good anf bad stylists be it black, white, Asian, Hispanic, male or female. I wish I could just find someone to cut and flat iron my hair. sigh

My favorite stylist ever, hardly had her hair done nicely. It always was ponytailed. She had so much business that she didn't have time for her own hair. She had children and a husband too.

The woman was great! She had a baby, and stopped working. But she did my hair for many years and those were the years when my hair was able to reach BSL and longer. She knew my hair and what products to use that worked for my hair. Please don't bad mouth hairdressers that don't do their own hair because they may have legitimate reasons for it. Would you rather she make her hair look good and not take the time to do her best on yours?

Another thing,

I always relax my hair without gloves. I can smooth it better that way and NO my hands don't get burned or damaged. Y'all gotta relax on the stylist bashing!

I cant see the video because I'm at work.

But I've been to Black, Dominican, and Indian. And they've all jacked up my hair. So I'm the only one who does my touch up.

Last edited:
I really hope that those of you bashing ALL Black stylists realize that if someone ELSE sat up and tried to bash you as a Black woman because of the ones they know, you can't call them on it. I am sorry that you've had bad experiences, but I go to a FANTASTIC Black stylist and have had an excellent experience.

Certainly knock the bad ones, but don't knock ALL of them.

And ITA with the poster who said it depends on what part of the head is most resistant. Just like every relaxer isn't for everybody, every application method isn't either.

I was lmao...she did everything wrong, but was talking like she was such a great hair stylist.

I would have advised that girl to get a good heat protectant and blow-dry and flat-iron that "good" hair. We shouldn't even be using those outdated terms anymore.....it's all GOOD hair!

I don't think the lack of professionalism, competence or experience is solely limited to black stylists... I have had experiences with both good anf bad stylists be it black, white, Asian, Hispanic, male or female. I wish I could just find someone to cut and flat iron my hair. sigh

Agreed. I have seen enough 'Split Ends' episodes.

I would Never go to a Black stylist again,Ever;they are the worst!!....I even stopped going to dominicans for my touch-ups....The best stylist I know is an Asian man and he knows more about black hair then they do.

I hear ya .. I trust no one on my head ! just me :grin:

First off It's not Just Black Hair Stylist who are BAD, you have a BAD Seed in every nationality. That was a sterotype that shouldn't even leave your finger tips. I have been around good hair stylist and I have been around Great, I consider myself and My two sisters out of 8 who are licensed good hair stylist.

there are some who can't do hair, just because you have a license doesn't mean Ish! It means I went and did the basics that someone put in a book. Nothing more. Now porfolio is another thing it shows your work.

I am glad people Like Tyra and Oprah keep black hair stylist employed. Don't bash your sisters enlighten them. MPO (my personal opinion) LOL!

Thank you all for sticking up for the good stylist because we are out there, just far and few between. If the stylist practices are really far fetched, then yes bashe them. But you can't compare all stylist to the ones that have jacked your head up. I am a stylist and I try to be professional and treat people the way I like to be treated. I try to care for my clients hair how I care for mine. Mine is not always done because I have a busy schedule (2 jobs), a family and school work. I keep mine in a protective style, but it is neat.

I say go to a stylist twice for a shampoo and style ONLY before you make a final decision. If you can tell by the first encounter that she is jacking your hair up, don't go back. If she is willing to listen to you and doesn't think she knows it all, then give her a second chance.

Please don't bash all of us because of a few triflin stylist. All of us are not bad.

omg she is applying the relaxer to the the nape and forehead first. ugh. when I was relaxed I did the middle of the head first, b/c it was the most resistant. Besides that lady doing the relaxer own hair looks bad. I would never let anyone with bad hair, a wig or a weave apply a relaxer to my head.

Back