Thickness before length?

HairQueen

I have been wearing protective styles for two months now and have recently added deep conditioning twice a week to my regime.

I have noticed that my has got MUCH thicker than it has longer (altough there is some growth) in some parts of my hair. Is this normal, does the hair thicken first then grow longer afterwards has this been anybody else's experience?

I think it's normal for it to thicken out before it gets longer. You have to remember that since your hair is breaking less, it's getting an opportunity to grow longer and that length from the extra strands are making it thicker. Think of it this way, maybe before you had 1,000,000 strands on your head of the same length at a given time before you began wearing protective styles. Well, now that you are protecting your hair and it is breaking less and therefore growing longer, you may have 2,000,000 strands on your head at a given time. I hope that makes sense. Think of how thick holding 20 strands of yard would be as opposed to holding only 5 strands.

I think that is the case, at least for me. My hair is marginally longer and a lot thicker than when I first started wearing it out.

I'm experiencing the same thing. I think it's normal too. I try not to worry so much about length because I'm transitioning to natural and I know I have a lot of shrinkage.

I find it so funny...that I was thinking about this same thing...and here it was as a thread.

I've been consistently active on the site for the past 6-7 months...and while my hair seems to be hovering around the same length (in my eyes anyway) - it has definitely gotten thicker than it was last May/June.

I would love some length...but I'll gladly take some thickness and health for this thin hair of mine.

My hair is also in this stage I am glad because I would rather have thicker and longer hair vs longer and thinned hair.

whenever i take out braids/weave my hair always feelsdramatically thicker, even after losing tons of hair from shedding. i'm guessing its because your hair is protected from heat and other damaging things and has the time to just fill in.

I'm experiencing this as well. It's really nice though. I get more compliments since just letting my hair thicken up than when it was relaxed and slathered to the sides of my head. >.<

Thanks ladies for your responses so far I am getting so excited now as thick hair is also my desire not just length. :D

Last edited:
Back