They say relaxed hair should be considered damaged

Supergirl

With Love & Silk
so does that mean that we should use products for damaged hair if our hair is relaxed?

They say that even healthy relaxed hair should be considered damaged because the integrity of the cortex has been altered chemically.

What do you all think?

I always tend to go for the products that said "dry/damaged" hair when fully relaxed and now that I'm transitioning. I guess I just felt like with the chemical, my hair was prone to dryness and I wanted to protect it as much as I could.

since the hair bond is broken down in the relaxer process, i tend to agree with that. and i also tend to buy products for damaged hair even though i don't consider mine to be in bad condition...

[ QUOTE ]
hairlove said:
I always tend to go for the products that said "dry/damaged" hair when fully relaxed and now that I'm transitioning. I guess I just felt like with the chemical, my hair was prone to dryness and I wanted to protect it as much as I could.

[/ QUOTE ]

DITTO!!!

Oh well. I have healthy looking damaged relaxed hair.
laugh.gif

Re: They say relaxed hair should be considered dam

Thanks guys! Allandra, you're too much
grin.gif

Skee Wee Miss Brown! I'm talking about a couple of articles I've read in magazines. I guess I'm referring to the hair "experts." (which really could include us LHCF ladies
laugh.gif
)

[ QUOTE ]
miss_brown said:
Soror, who's "they"? I'm confused if you're talking about scientists, stylists, or laypersons.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, who are 'they'?

[ QUOTE ]
Skee Wee Miss Brown! I'm talking about a couple of articles I've read in magazines. I guess I'm referring to the hair "experts." (which really could include us LHCF ladies
laugh.gif
)

[/ QUOTE ]

Ahhh, thanks for the clarification.
BTW, <font color="green"> Skee Wee </font> to you and lunalight ::pinkywave:: - I'll holla at headquarters and see if we can get a graemlin for that
grin.gif

I always buy products that cater to dry damaged hair, althought I don't consider my hair to be damaged. With relaxing your hair is not in your natural state but I do think it can be healthy. I went to a conference and a presenter put up pictures of hair under a microscope and theer was no evidence of damage, the cuticle was laying perfectly, no nicks or split ends. It looked exactly like the hair strand you tend to see defined as the "after" in ads or in a textbook on hair.

I don't know, I think it should be considered damaged because isn't it broken down in order to get it straight.

[ QUOTE ]
adrienne0914 said:
since the hair bond is broken down in the relaxer process, i tend to agree with that. and i also tend to buy products for damaged hair

[/ QUOTE ]
i agree with this too

[ QUOTE ]
Supergirl said:
Thanks guys! Allandra, you're too much
grin.gif

laugh.gif
)

[/ QUOTE ]

Supergirl,

If it's not too much trouble, you have a scanner and it's legal ...can you post the articles of tell us where wer can find them. It might be nice to read. I always tend to look for products geared towards dry hair or dry and damaged hair. So, I'd love to read about this a little.

Ballet Bun ...
rosebud.gif

i always bought products for dry/damaged hair. before i used to relax my hair and after.
but yes, relaxed hair is considered damaged hair, because it is not in its natural state. just like colored, texturized and permed hair are not considered healthy hair. but they see that from a different point of view. of course you can have healthy relaxed or permed hair:)

[ QUOTE ]
adrienne0914 said:
since the hair bond is broken down in the relaxer process, i tend to agree with that. and i also tend to buy products for damaged hair even though i don't consider mine to be in bad condition...

[/ QUOTE ]

I definately agree with that.
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
pebbles said:
[ QUOTE ]
adrienne0914 said:

[/ QUOTE ]

I definately agree with that.
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree too.

I also agree - I always treat my relaxed hair as damaged - especially since it's also color treated. No matter how good it looks there are structural changes that make it technically damaged.
smile.gif

I agree as well. I have always used products for damaged hair b/c i feel they're more intense than prods for "normal" hair.

Since relaxed hair is chemically altered, it would be correct to say it's damaged. It might be minimally damaged if done correctly, but the bonds have been changed. It's better to be on the safe side and use products for damaged hair.

[ QUOTE ]
skegeesmb said:
Since relaxed hair is chemically altered, it would be correct to say it's damaged. It might be minimally damaged if done correctly, but the bonds have been changed. It's better to be on the safe side and use products for damaged hair.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. I always use products for dry/damaged hair anyway because they tend to be more moisturizing.
smile.gif

Well I usually go the better-safe-than-sorry route and get the damaged/dry products. I swear if my hair ever required another product type I'd probably still get the damaged/dry stuff because I just always assume the worst of my hair as apposed to the best.

Hey BB,

I don' t have a scanner sorry...only a digital camera. And I'm sorry, I don't remember exactly which magazine I read that in. I'm pretty sure it was an Essence or something like that--I don't think it was a hair mag.

[ QUOTE ]
CoCoChantel said:
Well I usually go the better-safe-than-sorry route and get the damaged/dry products. I swear if my hair ever required another product type I'd probably still get the damaged/dry stuff because I just always assume the worst of my hair as apposed to the best.

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
beana3 said:
I agree as well. I have always used products for damaged hair b/c i feel they're more intense than prods for "normal" hair.

[/ QUOTE ]
Me to Beana. I guess the thinking is "damaged hair" products have mor "good juices" in them than any other. I don't know about yall but I'm ready to do some DAMAGE!
grin.gif

Back