The worst hairstylist ever!!!!!

I am sooooo sorry that happened to you.

Please don't go to anymore "stylists".

Sent from my iPhone while out living my best life!

I think it was a combination of miscommunication and stubbornness.

I had told her my ends were thin and I wanted a bob. Well, after the whole "conditioner fiasco," I really think she had it in with me. After she turned me around, it looked a little longer than earlength, and I said, "It's sooo short?!" and she was like, "Your hair was actually very rough. I should've cut more than what I did. You should return for another cut in 6 weeks."

I could not believe my ears!!!

Thank you!!! I've tried not to think about it because I know I cannot get my hair back, but it sears under the surface lol

Thank you, Ms Dee.

I did not realize she cut my hair so short because she focused her massacre on the back of my head, and I actually did not know until I touched the back with my hand.

My mom was furious that I even paid her. She says I need to get more African lol. But seriously I was in a state of shock. My bf found me wandering around in the streets when he came to pick me up. I literally left in a stupor!!! I just NEVER in my life thought someone would do that. I still don't believe it, until I try to bun my hair...

Peace

I'm sorry this happened to you, but don't fret too bad, your hair will grow back!!! By the way, :welcome4: to the forum!!

Thank you for the welcome and positive note! I've read the thread since before Dec 2010 and that was how I'd gotten my hair that long. I had never been able to grow it past EL/NL, so I appreciate all of you guys!!

This is why it's hard for me to trust other people with my hair. That's why I'm learning how to do ish my self. Tis all.

You are so right! I do my hair myself 99% of the time. I made the mistake in trusting a stylist that I did not know. I was naive in thinking that no black woman would just cut off another black girl's hair so carelessly, and I was proven wrong!

I'm gonna be honest. No more stylists for you. Seriously. Not one but two catastrophes?

You gotta either 1) speak up 2) find a higher quality stylist that others have vouched for 3) DIY.

Thanks Tamster!! You know what's sad is that I have a great stylist, here in OKC. She's always done a great job on my hair and friends' hair. My mistake is that I trusted people when I traveled. Seriously, though. I've learned my lesson!!! Unless your name is Nicole and you live in OKC, I will not be going to you! haha

OP I'm sorry this happened to you. With the help of this forum and healthy hair practices you will have a healthy head of hair in no time. I would recommend being a DIY'er.

Keepithealthy,
Thank you for being so positive! That is exactly what I am looking for in my journey the next 10 months and in general.

ommmgg what in shizznapps?!

did you research the stylist/salon before you went???before i go to a salon thats what i always do and ive never had a problem
but either way ommmmgg!thts sooo messed up!!!!

Because I live in Oklahoma City, I tried to find a good stylist in Irving, TX because I wanted her to do my hair during my bday weekend, so that it would be cute. I looked up everything I could about her and they seemed positive, but all pics were of sew-ins. I took a chance and got burned. I do not deny my own responsibility.

I don't understand how she got away with cutting your hair this short. Did she blindfold you or something? I don't get how you didn't see her or feel her cutting it this short. :perplexed

Believe it or not, i thought she'd cut it a little shorter than what I had wanted, but it's because my hair is longer in the front. My hair is a solid neck length in front. It was in the back, especially right in the middle where she had really brought it very short.

this is why my guy will continue trimming my hair or I'll do it...
I'm sorry it happened op but you seem strong and confident so you'll be fine

Silenttulip, Please, keep me in mind if you ever think about straying. I have a good stylist here in OKC, but I did not think I would have time to visit her salon before my trip. Trust me, next time, I will MAKE the time!!!!

exhibit A of why I D.I.Y. Keep going OP and really look into taking matters into your own hands. Trust and believe me when I tell you I have had too many of these horror stories than I care to even count prior to my hhj. Now I refuse to go to a stylist. Others can ruin in minutes what took you months or years to grow and accomplish.

MsLi, Thank you for your post. It really touched me because I've never really had issues with stylists until these last two incidents. Only once back when I was a kid did a woman burn my scalp, but other than that, I had no bad incidents. I noticed though, after I began reading LHCF that my hair grew longer once I began to do it myself. I'm still quite a newbie, but I am growing and definitely learning!

I'm sorry this happened to you.
You seem calm, collective and have a good plan so I hope your hair comes back better than before.

Melissa, thank you!! I am trying to be at "Peace" about it (I laugh because my name is Peace!) because there is nothing that I can do to reverse it. I am trying to attempt amazing growth while maintaining thickness these next 10 months, and getting depressed will not be beneficial. Besides, I already did that haha.

Oh my gosh I so know how that feels. I am glad that this has not discouraged you and that you are determined to get your length back. Hang in there and stay away from stylists for awhile. If you decide to go back for a trim, have the stylist turn you facing the mirror and have her show you exactly what she is about to cut. If you don't feel comfortable, just leave. REsearch your stylists thoroughly

Reeko, I am glad that you can relate, and I hope that people see me and think smarter than I did. I was too trusting with the hair that I had worked so hard to grow. I'd grown it to its longest length and healthiest state in my lifetime in a period of 18 months. My hair was very damaged, brittle, and needed a lot of work when I first started (Dec 2010). Since my hair is healthier now than it was then, I believe I can repeat my results and end up with hair that's healthier and thicker than before she cut it!

OMG! Do you have plans in place to sue that *****?!!! I would've been on the news - for that very reason I do my hair my darn self, it's very hard to trust stylists they are either unskilled or jealous!!!! I'm mad for you, there woulda been some furniture moving up in that place BEFORE I left that day! You didn't pay her did you?

BUT... on the bright side you can nurture your hair back healthy, stronger and longer.

Tonica, I keep wishing that I could get more angry because my friends, my boyfriend, and mom were all shocked because they know how hard I've worked and how much I baby my hair. I think I blame myself for not going to the stylist that I know here in OKC rather than a stylist in another state that I did not know. I should've walked out when I saw that she was so upset that I did not want to do exactly what she told me. Unfortunately, I did pay her. It sounds crazy, but I was in an extreme state of shock for about three days. I SERIOUSLY regret paying her. I'm one of those people who doesn't want to cause a ruckus but I really need to get over that!!!! I admire your ability to speak up and out!

this is why i always have my clients facing the mirror when i cut and only trim in baby steps.
that is ridiculous how she could hack off the back of your hair like that..smh

Menina, I think you behave in such a way because you actually care about your clients. I honestly believe that since I was an out-of-towner and I wanted a conditioner w/o a wash (can you believe my nerve??), that she wanted to teach me a lesson.

There was obviously a serious communication glitch here. Usually a client tells the stylist what kind of cut and how much they want cut off. You can't just surrender yourself to the process when you're in the stylist's chair. Even after you tell them what you want, you still have to check in.

You can learn to trim your ends yourself; search the boards and you tube. :yep:

Cocosweet, You are very right. I (wrongly....very wrongly) assumed that she would not want to cut all of my hair off and keep as much length as possible. It was my experience with 100% of stylists that I have gone to, but I should never have made that assumption. I know now that I should be super clear and watch them like a hawk as they are cutting!!!
I've been afraid to learn to trim because, in the past, I had cut too much off and also had hair that was shorter in some places than in others, but I may have to try to learn again....slowly lol Thank you!

How in the world did this happen??? I do not understand. Did you not see where it started getting shorter than what you desired? What did you say when she finished?

JeNeSaisQuoi, I unfortunately, should have been monitoring her. She was overly anxious and had mentioned the whole wash and condition thing over and over and over and over and over again to me. I think she was very frustrated that I did not obey, and wanted to show me what was really up!

It felt short when she was cutting, but it was difficult to tell how short because the front of my hair is NL. My hair in front is...was shorter than in back, so I thought we were on track. However, in the end, she took the back to an extremely low cut. It's like a very graduated bob with the top tier ending at the crown of my skull.

Wow, that's quite a cut. What kind of cut did you ask for? What did she say after?

Sent from my HTC Evo

I asked for a bob. I should have specified that I wanted a SL bob or even a NL bob where the front falls to my shoulders. I did not expect that she wanted to give me the shortest bob possible.

She said my hair was rough and needed it. I walked out. I know my hair. And even though I was a couple months post-relaxer, my hair gets super soft with a conditioning, but she refused to give me one...that's why my hair was rough!! Ugh...

Sorry to hear that this happened to you. Although it was a set back, your hair will grow back to SL, APL and beyond and you can learn from that experience. I've never been to a stylist for a cut but I've had trims from stylists in the past.
Only ONE of them was a DECENT trim and the others left a lot to be desired so I've trimmed my own hair for the last couple of years.
DIY is sometimes the way to go unless you can find someone you can really trust with your hair.

Nonetheless, you've made excellent progress since that incident :yep:.

Good luck in the rest of your hair journey!!!

Vestaluv, Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! Since my short lil depression haha, I've tried to be very positive and look on the bright side like you have. I usually wear my hair curly in a TWA as a protective style using a bantu knot out because it's too short for a ponytail, but it still rubs against my collar. So, it seems the best way to keep it away from the harsh fabrics and the ends somewhat protected.

Thank you for sharing your experiences. I can only hope that newbies learn from me, you, and the others who've posted to be VERY VERY wary when it comes to stylists!! Thank you!!!!!

WTFFFFF?
What in the world possessed this womannn?

Bright side, (as was said before): you get a chance to enjoy the ease of shorter hair and also to really baby your hair, so that when it is longer it will be lovely and healthy :)
Good luck on your next 10 months!

SkySurfer, I was devastated for quite some time but I am trying to be positive now and work towards hair that was longer, stronger, and healthier than it was before, so thank you for looking on the bright side!! My hair is super thick being this short, so there's a piece that kinda sticks up in the back. (It's not the greatest cut. -_-), but it's growing fast thanks to everything I've learned on LHCF!

Your hair is growing back nicely.

I would have spent the whole month of October in jail.

On the plus side, now you can start over with totally healthy hair. A stylist cut my hair way to short in the top in about 2007. I was really upset about it, but I got the back cut short too and my hair has been completely healthy with great ends ever since, so you do have that to look forward to :)

InchHigh, that's exactly what my bf has been saying me. (He's so sweet!) He was extremely shocked when he picked me up wandering around in a state of shock in front of CVS with all my hair gone!!! But since then, he tries to keep me positive when I get sad. I keep that sentiment in mind as much as possible. My hair is extremely thick and much healthier than the first time. I have nowhere to go but up!! I will say that she also fried my ends when she styled it, so they're pretty split. But right now, I am using Nexxus pro-mend to seal them when I go out, and I will cut them off at the end of my 10 months. If I cut them off now, I would have to pretty much shave the back of my head!!

This sucks and I feel for you. I went to a salon years ago in HS and they cut me from bsb to shoulder length without asking. Ever since then I have learned to speak up
and become very cautious about who I let cut my hair.

It's so important to find a stylist you trust and maybe have a couple experiences with them to see how they listen to your needs BEFORE they cut your hair. Particularly if you want to keep your length.

So sorry this happened.

Candy, I am glad that you shared your experience with me because now I do not feel so stupid!!! You are right, the only way to be is to be outspoken about my hair and to take great care in trusting the right people to cut it. I really like your suggestion. It's officially my motto!!! Thanks :)

Honest opinion? I can see why she cut off so much - the ends look damaged. Most hairdressers will use shampoo to remove dirt from hair, opening up the cuticles, then condition it to lay them down again and add oils back to the strands. If I were you, I'd not get any more home relaxers. Go to a professional to avoid damage. Select a stylist that is recommended from various people who have present healthy hair.

I knew the ends were damaged due to over processing. That was mentioned in the OP. I wanted her to cut them. I'd expected my hair to be SL (my hair was longer than in the pic I uploaded but I don't have any more recent pics), but I was also bracing for it to be a lil bit shorter than SL. There's no way it needed to lose that much length. There was a very obvious line where the thick, healthy hair ended and the brittle, overprocessed hair began. As a stylist, I expected her to be able to see that and cut there or even, for styling sakes, cut it a little shorter. I'd shampooed my hair the night before because I only apply it to my scalp and let it wash the rest of my hair through the rinse process. I did a very light conditioner after my wash because I was expecting a DC at the salon. I really do not believe that a conditioner without a wash is "completely ineffective" and a "waste of money" as she stated. Since the damage was originally done by a stylist, I will be relaxing at home (after the 10 months) every 12-14 wks as I had been before this fiasco!!

Ive heard similar stories many times on this board. I wish somebody would try to put relaxer over my whole length. As soon as I saw them do that I would make them wash it out. Id rather my stylist be pissed and me walk out with unfinished hair, then end up losing all my hair to damage.

Candy, if I knew what you knew, I would have done the same, but I didn't think it would cause much harm. What really got me was that it was pretty and did not looked really damaged after she'd overprocessed my hair. My ends were dry, but I did not think she caused any major damage until time passed and the portion of the hair that had been relaxed by her became very thin and brittle and damaged. Since then, I have done my own relaxers, and will probably continue to do so until I die! lol I'm going to try to attach a pic of my hair when she'd done my relaxer on my next post to this thread....

Don't be sad OP. look at it as a chance to start fresh. This go around, you will already know what your hair likes and how to handle it. You are pretty much guaranteed a head of healthier hair.

But I do hope you refused to pay. I would not have paid someone for something I didn't ask for. And if she had a problem with that then she could remedy it by offering me free DCs for the duration of the year.

Kupenda, thank you for the positivity! I am on a mission toward healthy hair and I have a good place to start now.....Now, if only I could fast forward a year! haha

I really think I would have been arrested. Looking at those photos has me ready to slap Melva's. I hope you did NOT pay her!

My old stylist has told me how this happens, some people get "lost" in the cut and keep going over the same section over and over while the hair is getting shorter and shorter. She always did my trims with me facing the mirror (her idea not mine).

Naturalmanenyc, that may have been what happened because the middle of the back of my head is where it is really short. My bf always wonders aloud why she cut it soooo short right there. I literally have to pinch it to moisturize it, although, it's about twice as long now since the cut.

I am not going to incite you to get further upset. I am sorry hon. You can move on past this and past that heiffer's haircut. *HUGS*

Lucie, thank you for the hugs and compassion!! It was very difficult for me and still is hard sometimes, but I am trying so hard to be positive. Thank you for that!

I am sooooo sorry that happened to you.

Please don't go to anymore "stylists".

Sent from my iPhone while out living my best life!

Trust me, I am officially a DIY-er!!

40382_847880084447_9623368_45420987_6484323_n.jpg

Here is a pic of my hair in Aug 2010 when I had gotten the relaxer, and the stylist spread it through the length of my strands. It was fun having straight hair, but I paid for it in the end.

Wow!

Did she cut your hair while it was wet? I'm trying to figure out how she cut so much and you didn't notice.

I haven't had a stylist cut my hair since 2007. I just don't have the patience to go to salons anymore. When I go I drive them insane and they're not allowed to come any where near me with scissors.

You sound like you have a solid plan in place. I suggest that you learn how to self-relax your hair so that you won't have any more mishaps in the future. If there's anyone you trust with your hair, see if you can find a friend or family member to cut your ends next time. I usually ask my daughter to do it. She's not crazy enough to cut more than an inch or I'll karate chop her LMAO Good luck!!!! Sending you hugs.

Woow, I'm sorry you had to go through that and on your B-day too, that stylist would have heard it from me!! But like others have said time to become a DIY'er, and if you ever feel the need to step in a salon research, research, research!! Your hair will grow back in no time though and will probably be healthier too. Good Luck!!

OP..............

A few words of advice.

1. Never let anyone cut your hair on a 1st visit.

2. Don't let them turn you away from the mirror when they start to service your hair.

3. The salon services you request and are willing to pay for are not subject to her refusal just because she does not believe in them.

All of these reasons, including the ones you posted, are why you get up from a salon chair and walk out.

You're buying, you ain't begging.

Wow!

Did she cut your hair while it was wet? I'm trying to figure out how she cut so much and you didn't notice.

I haven't had a stylist cut my hair since 2007. I just don't have the patience to go to salons anymore. When I go I drive them insane and they're not allowed to come any where near me with scissors.

You sound like you have a solid plan in place. I suggest that you learn how to self-relax your hair so that you won't have any more mishaps in the future. If there's anyone you trust with your hair, see if you can find a friend or family member to cut your ends next time. I usually ask my daughter to do it. She's not crazy enough to cut more than an inch or I'll karate chop her LMAO Good luck!!!! Sending you hugs.

She had me turned around and did the cut quick enough that it was pretty much over when I realized it was shorter than I'd wanted. I did not realize just how short until I touched the back of my head and realized I was pretty much bald in the back smh. That's an awesome idea! I'll have my bf learn to cut it. He would be soooo scared of taking off too much or making a mistake, IDK if he would even agree to it! Thanks, girl!!

Woow, I'm sorry you had to go through that and on your B-day too, that stylist would have heard it from me!! But like others have said time to become a DIY'er, and if you ever feel the need to step in a salon research, research, research!! Your hair will grow back in no time though and will probably be healthier too. Good Luck!!

Stepiphanie, I know. It was definitely a downer on my bday weekend celebration. I can't wait for my hair to grow back, but I try to avoid those thoughts because I won't turn around and have long hair! lol Thank you for the well wishes!

OP..............

A few words of advice.

1. Never let anyone cut your hair on a 1st visit.

2. Don't let them turn you away from the mirror when they start to service your hair.

3. The salon services you request and are willing to pay for are not subject to her refusal just because she does not believe in them.

All of these reasons, including the ones you posted, are why you get up from a salon chair and walk out.

You're buying, you ain't begging.

Fletgee, thanks for the advice. I am definitely still learning and obviously not close to knowing everything I need to know yet. I can only keep my ears and eyes open and remember what people have said on this site. I will never let anyone cut my hair without having a history with them again, and I'm about to be like a hawk when they're cutting!!!

Girl you are funny. I would've sued the pants off her.
Rikinkkulus, I just love your signature! Is that real? lol

My hair was BSL before I went to a stylist and SL when I came out. It was supposed to be a TRIM, TRIM, T.R.I.M! Why IS IT SO HARD TO UNDERSTAND THAT I JUST WANT U TO TRIM MY ENDS?! :wallbash:
Sorry had a moment. :cry2: BRB.... Woooosaaaaaa

OK, I refuse to go to another stylist. I would not be in this forum if it wasn't for that experience... This site has been quite entertaining, though. SMH

Sent from my T-Mobile G2

This thread is a good reminder not to trust anyone. Note to self trim your own hair. I now don't trust a HS to relax my hair. Know my luck he would put the relaxer throughout my hair cause it is not bone straight.

I will destroy my own hair first before letting my ex-HS do it for me.

OP your hair will be stronger and longer now all you need is time.

I must say that this forum is the best so don't fret. Your hair will grow back. It will take time and patience but you have to walk away from this experience smarter than you were before she chopped off your hair. Use this as a lesson and keep it moving with your head held high!

Girl you are funny. I would've sued the pants off her.

Your comment under the video is too funny! Girl, that is gonna be me! LMBO :lachen:

Last edited:
Back