The wonders of MSM - My take on it

LondonDiva

Hi Ladies.

I've been back on vits for close to a month now and taking quite a fair bit of powdered pure MSM mixed with water and I must say this stuff is amazing.
I'm at week 5 (week 6 I usually need a relaxer) and my new growth is SOFT compared to last months. I think depending on how the growth goes over the next month that I could double my relaxer touch up time purely being on this stuff alone. My shedding has reduced already dramatically and I'm not really doing anything differently to my hair. I've changed a few products but that's about it.

If you're not on MSM then you need to be. This stuff is my saving grace. It's about 4,000 mg to 1 5ml teaspoon of powder. I used to take the pure MSM before (8,000 mg daily) in the capsule but it seems to work better and absorp into my system better when mixed and taken with the water.

Hey Dee, isn't it the best! We have an ongoing discussion about this on the henna thread. I'm glad it's working for you and thanks for posting your results. I may skimp on other supplements but you can best believe that msm, protein, and that biotin will forever be my main staples.

Hey Sweetcocoa I get mine from a shop in London 100g from £10 I can get it cheaper through ordering but this was there so I bought it.

Higher Nature - MSM Sulphur Tablets 90
MSM has become a number one bestseller since our customers discovered how well it helps maintain healthy, flexible joints and muscles. MSM is also excellent for maintaining strong hair and nails, and the health of the skin and respiratory system along with general well being. Sulphur is easily destroyed in the food we eat. Higher Nature's MSM, an organic form of sulphur is sourced from tree bark. Most companies supply petrochemical MSM. Now available in tablets, vegetarian capsules, or powder (to blend with food and drinks).

Suggested Intake: 1-6 grams daily. GM free

Each tablet or 1/4 level teaspoon powder provides: 1 gram MSM

[image]http://store5.yimg.com/I/academyhealth_1727_34118499[/image]

It's a british brand. You can definitely get the Lignusil MSM powder in the US, which is the superior brand I don't kow sorry SC
confused.gif

After getting several replies on my thread (MSM Question), I started taking powder MSM earlier this month.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Allandra said:
After getting several replies on my thread (MSM Question), I started taking powder MSM earlier this month.

[/ QUOTE ]
Allandra...where did you get the powder? I can look for it on my way home. Thanks!
After reading LondonDiva's 2nd post... I also like what it does for joint pain(aerobics is hard on the joints). This sounds like a winner all the way around.

MSM is a wonder supplement the benefits of it are tremendous other than hair and joints. I'll see if I can dig up some more info on it.
smile.gif

LondonDiva said:
Any noticeable changes yet Allandra??

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes. Headaches.
laugh.gif

LOL

I only got them that 1st day. Now I'm taking anywhere between 4,000 and 8,000 mg daily. I'm even partial to dipping my fingers in the powder and putting a little under my tongue (it tastes so bitter but I can manage it), no more headaches for me though.

I'm no longer having the headaches, but so far that was the only difference that I've noted. I've only been taking MSM powder for less than a month though.

JenJen2721 said:
LD,
Can you mix MSM Powder w/orange juice instead of water?
Jen

[/ QUOTE ]

I take mine with grapefruit juice

Armyqt,

At your suggestion, I am now taking the MSM by Trimedica. Before I was taking vitamin shoppe MSM and it did not pass the float test. It also caused my skin to breakout. I know MSM will cause breakout initially because it is cleaning out the toxins. But the VS MSM just made my have awful breakouts.

gabrielle_union.jpg

Yes, MSM is very good!

I started using it about 2 months ago and my new growth is definitely softer and I believe that it is also contributing to my new growth. I take the liquid form.

I've been slacking on my vitamins for about 2 weeks though. You know what they say about how we take the good things for granted?

Well, I'm going to get back on track starting today.

-Marabou
wink.gif

Armyqt said:
Allandra, what brand are u taking and how much of it? I take Trimedica Brand @ 2000 mg .

[/ QUOTE ]
Vitamin Shoppe Brand - 1,000 mg to 4,000 mg a day

sbaker said:
Armyqt,

At your suggestion, I am now taking the MSM by Trimedica. Before I was taking vitamin shoppe MSM and it did not pass the float test. It also caused my skin to breakout. I know MSM will cause breakout initially because it is cleaning out the toxins. But the VS MSM just made my have awful breakouts.

[/ QUOTE ]

Glad this one is working better for you. How much do you take and how long have you been on it?

this is kind of weird but i used to take msm for a couple of months and my new growth was shinier and thicker and it did appear straighter. not straight it was still curly but straighter then it usually is. well i stopped taking it a year ago BUT my new growth is still the same. i havent been taking any vitamins with enough consistency to really contribute to anything else. i thought i was 4a/4b but the hair is now coming in 3c/4a. do you think the msm would still be in my system a year later? or is my hair just changing? maybe because i am taking care of my hair now and adding moisture and its changing my hair type.
confused.gif
ohwell.gif
God bless you all.

Hey Ladies,

Ive been using MSM for about a week and a half. It maybe be too early to say results, but I must admit that my hair feels alot softer. as fas as pimples. there was a few at first, but I started drinking about 8 glasses of water daily. I take 2ooomg daily by Now Foods. I have no headaches, and after consuming water frequently, the zits soon went away. Oh, and my body doesnt ache as usual.

I started taking the PP MSM on Thurs.3.2.03 I take 3 500mg pills a day. The first dayI had a huge headache, but it's stopped. My skin isn't acting adversely to it as of now. I'm still trying to up my water consumption though...it's soooooo hard!!!
guiness.gif

Allandra said:
LondonDiva said:
Any noticeable changes yet Allandra??

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes. Headaches.
laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

What an ugly side effect!
shocked.gif
How many mcgs are you taking daily? I originally started taking MSM for rhuematoid arthritis and discovered the hair and nail growth as a side benefit. Anywho, I hope you recover from those headaches soon!

DwnSouthGirl said:
What an ugly side effect!
shocked.gif
How many mcgs are you taking daily? I originally started taking MSM for rhuematoid arthritis and discovered the hair and nail growth as a side benefit. Anywho, I hope you recover from those headaches soon!

[/ QUOTE ]
See my two posts above on how many MG I'm taking and that I'm no longer having headaches.

It's funny you should mention that cause when I first found haircare boards and hair typing I was going off of what I thought my new growth looked like. dry, dull , unmoisturized but still wavy. I never thought about hair type then but when I found there was a typing system I assumed it was 4a. Now, It's comming in softer and thicker with a looser more defined wave pattern but I dont know if its because of the msm or just because it's finally getting proper care. If I pluck a hair and try to see where the different hair textures are it sometimes gets difficult to tell. (my hair is not bone straight cause I havent gotten that good yet! don't flat iron, wrap or roller set. just ponytail airdry) the wavy sections are about one and a half inch unstreched and 2 inches stretched. not a lot of difference. the distance between each half loop (wave) is half an inch or longer or barely bumping in some places. I do have a section in the back about the size of my fist where I'm pretty sure is 4a. still wavy but draws up tighter and I can stretch it out a good distance. When I wash my hair the wave pattern does not shrink up. In fact it gets thicker (swells I guess?) but the wave pattern loosens and is not as defined as dry (maybe cause no oils or cremes on it yet to help define?) except in that back section where it does not loosen. I have more tangle problems with the relaxed length. Very easy to move a comb thru the new growth everywhere except that back section which takes slower going because the waves are more tiny and compact. I even jumped out the shower to check it product free to see if it was some product I was using. I'm really confuesed and don't know what to truly call myself! I drove other boards nuts (ask Adrienne!) trying to figure out where I stand but the general concensous is 3c/4a. please feel free to correct if wrong. as far as msm, does it have to be a mega dose to possibly change hair and do you have to be on it for a long time? (I've been taking vitamins since Nov.02) I've only been taking 1000mg per day (trader joes pill form) but definately will look into getting the powder and upping the dose! also, can you mix the msm powder in along with a protien shake or does it have to be taken with either o.j. or water by itself?

I'm at wk 10, I should mention and plan to go another 3wks which my hair dresser is not happy about. (talked to her today but thats another tale!)

i'm so glad i am not the only one. i have noticed that my new growth isnt as tight but more looser. the hairline is straight when wet but when it dries it forms little curls. the texture is different as well. it doesnt feel coarse. it is soft like touching fur (sorry i cant think of a better way to explain) areas where the hair used to feel rough and look frizzy is now a bit straighter and softer in texture and the curls are more defined. nothing in my routine can explain it. supplements/diet. i'm thinking it may be the products i am using. i sat in the mirror in amazement. i thought it was the msm because a year ago my hair looked like this when i took it but now its a year later w/o msm so i dont know what it could be. i'm glad i am not the only one who is experiencing this. God bless you all.

The headaches don't usually last long and it's best to lower the doseage and/or drink more water to combat this horrible side effect. It's a good sign of the toxins coming out of your system. The same thing occurs during the detox process in the body. I also experienced tiredness the first day or 2 from starting to take it. It's also best to take it after a meal or something. It's worse on an empty stomach in terms of the headaches factor.

London Diva,
Can I open up my MSM capsules into some orange juice and get the same effect? Or is the powder form a different formulation than the ones in the capsules? I take 2000 mgs a day...thanks for the info !!
drunk.gif

Back