The orginal Fine hair thread 2013

I'm going to prepoo this evening with JBCO and then cowash with one of the 50 thousand 'leven conditioners I have.

I used ApHogee 2-minute during my last weekend cleansing (which was also my one week post chelating shampoo session), so I'll probably skip the protein tonight and use my Emergencee/Humectress combo on Sunday.

I've been wearing my hair straight since my two-inch, blunt cut, but think I'm going to do a twist out and see how that works on my shorter, newly relaxed hair. (Plus, I just bought some pillow rollers and want to see how well they work vs. the satin-covered ones I've been using.) Hopefully it doesn't look like a limp, sad mess. I usually save two-strand twists for week 8 and beyond. I'll post pics either way.

Update: Nevermind...I don't feel like it. Sad.

Last edited:
I have to confess that I have been lurking this thread since it first started and I should say thanks to the OP for starting it.

I was at the end of my rope with my hair which hasn't happened in a while and I realize now that it is because I needed some hardcore protein so I ordered the Komaza protein. I noticed the difference right away. My ends stopped tangling into "spider webs" and that took me off the ledge.

I am using this:

220.jpg

as a leave-in and so far my hair is liking it.

I realize that in order for MY hair to grow, I will have to keep it stretched or keep it braided up.

In the past I strayed away from doing my regular protein treatments, but now I know for sure I have to use protein on a regular basis.

I really like the Shea Moisture Thickening Growth Milk anytime I wear a twistout. It does make my fine hair appear thicker.

Okay, so even though all that henna left bits and grits in my hair for a good 4 days, I do like the effect that it had. I love the way my hair feels right now and all I did after using the LUSH Henna bar was DC as usual with my Aussie 3mm, and M&S with water & Hot Six Oil. Usually just doing this leads to my hair feeling dry in only a day but I took the braids out today after wearing them for a day and my braid out looks and feels AH-MAZ-ING.

Lately my hair has had this mushy-spongy feeling and I was debating switching from Aphogee 2 minute to a harder protein, but I'm tired of buying new stuff to try only for it not to work or do damage. I need to find a henna treatment that doesn't leave all that grit behind because it makes my find strands clump together and I had a lot of knotting after washing my hair out because of it. That reason alone was why I stopped using Cassia after only 3 treatments.

@DancingOnTheSkylines
What type of henna did you use? I use the highly sifted ones and I don't have the grit, twigs, or the other annoying stuff.

You could also try a doing a tea instead. Lots of hot water a little henna. Let it seep for a while and then use.

@DancingOnTheSkylines
What type of henna did you use? I use the highly sifted ones and I don't have the grit, twigs, or the other annoying stuff.

@dancingOnTheSkylines
JazzyOleBabe
I used the Jamilla Henna on my sister sat. It was really finely sifted and easy to rinse out. I also like to put a few pinches of sugar to get it mixed nicely. This also ensures easy rinsing.

Of course you may have read that I always add conditioner to my powders. This removes the separate dc step and also helps with rinsing. On my second and third rinses, I cowash it out with vo5.

I also like MzSwift's idea of making the powder into a tea. When Im pressed for time, i will try this

Last edited:
Okay, so even though all that henna left bits and grits in my hair for a good 4 days, I do like the effect that it had. I love the way my hair feels right now and all I did after using the LUSH Henna bar was DC as usual with my Aussie 3mm, and M&S with water & Hot Six Oil. Usually just doing this leads to my hair feeling dry in only a day but I took the braids out today after wearing them for a day and my braid out looks and feels AH-MAZ-ING.

Lately my hair has had this mushy-spongy feeling and I was debating switching from Aphogee 2 minute to a harder protein, but I'm tired of buying new stuff to try only for it not to work or do damage. I need to find a henna treatment that doesn't leave all that grit behind because it makes my find strands clump together and I had a lot of knotting after washing my hair out because of it. That reason alone was why I stopped using Cassia after only 3 treatments.
What did you do before the henna? Detangle? I find the best way to avoid leftover grit is to detangle first. I sometimes cowash first and rinse or put on towel dried hair. Though I've applied to dry combed out hair first without issues.

Brand also helps. Mehandi.com has some very fine sifts.

My last suggestion is to apply to the crown first and apply around from the top. Pile hair on the crown as you go.

This avoids extra manipulation leading to tangles and, for long hair, keeps mess to minimum.

Today I revisted finger detangling only.....and I'm going to stick with it because I was able to fully detangle and get rid of all the shed hair. I used a ton of conditioner and the constant stream of the shower.

I've got to put down the comb because now that I'm twisting my hair with only my leave-in (no moisturiser, serums or oils) I can really see what's going on with my hair and it's not only fine but on one side it is very very thin. Infact it's the side that's in my avatar. I feel a bit upset. :nono:

Even with my HS comb i was ripping out clumps of hair. I thought it was extreme shedding my when I part my hair at any given place on my head it's full of short fuzzy hair. I was ripping my hair out. My hair is just too fine to be using a comb.

@DancingOnTheSkylines

I tried the LUSH caca rouge henna bar for the first time. It went on fine, but took forever to rinse out and never completely came out. I was hoping someone would suggest a highly-sifted brand on here to me xD

You could also try a doing a tea instead. Lots of hot water a little henna. Let it seep for a while and then use.

Ohhh, I didn't know I could do that. Does it have all the same effects? How do you make your tea?

@dancingOnTheSkylines
JazzyOleBabe
I used the Jamilla Henna on my sister sat. It was really finely sifted and easy to rinse out. I also like to put a few pinches of sugar to get it mixed nicely. This also ensures easy rinsing.

Of course you may have read that I always add conditioner to my powders. This removes the separate dc step and also helps with rinsing. On my second and third rinses, I cowash it out with vo5.

I also like MzSwift's idea of making the powder into a tea. When Im pressed for time, i will try this

Ahhh, gotcha. I thought about adding conditioner but since this is my first time doing it I wanted to get the full effect and pretty much just followed the instructions with a few variations.

What did you do before the henna? Detangle? I find the best way to avoid leftover grit is to detangle first. I sometimes cowash first and rinse or put on towel dried hair. Though I've applied to dry combed out hair first without issues.

Brand also helps. Mehandi.com has some very fine sifts.

My last suggestion is to apply to the crown first and apply around from the top. Pile hair on the crown as you go.

This avoids extra manipulation leading to tangles and, for long hair, keeps mess to minimum.

Yea, I detangled and shampoo'd my hair. When applying the henna I divided it into multiple twists and then clipped it into two sections on either side of my head. I started from the front portion (bang area, if I had bangs) and then went counter clockwise to the back, then went to the second half and did the same thing. Left it on for like....50-11 hours (I meant to leave it for 4, but it ended up being like 7 or 8 cause it was the same day I moved) and rinsed it out....and rinsed it our....and rinsed it out. Then I just got plain ole tired of rinsing, So I slathered some Tresseme moisture whatever conditioner on my hair and further detangled my re-tangled hair, rinsed again, still had some grit. DCed with Aussie moist, left it in overnight, washed it out the next day....GRITGRITGRIT. So I just gave up and said I'd cowash sometime this week to remove the remainder. This stuff is like dandruff, gets on everything!

@DancingontheSkylines how thick did you make it? I've gotten to the point it's just shy of runny. Doesn't take,long to rinse out. Took a lot longer when I first started. Was following them dang youtubes where they make it like spackle! That's too much.

The mehandi.com rajasthani Jasmine is good stuff if you can't get it local.

@DancingontheSkylines how thick did you make it? I've gotten to the point it's just shy of runny. Doesn't take,long to rinse out. Took a lot longer when I first started. Was following them dang youtubes where they make it like spackle! That's too much.

The mehandi.com rajasthani Jasmine is good stuff if you can't get it local.

I watched some videos too, the directions said to make it the consistency of cake batter. At first my henna was TOO runny (like a thin soup) so I boiled some of the water off till it was back to the consistency I wanted. I think there were just too many granules in the henna bar itself, because other people who reviewed it said the same thing.

subbing so I can come back and read all of the pages.

I'm fine haired and I neglect my trims. I need to do better. I keep my hair up and rarely flat iron so I've kept the splits at bay for the most part. Now my hair is thinner with age so I have to be extra careful.

I have a fine haired wavy 7yo now. Everyone thinks she should have very long hair but we have a hard time retaining. It's annoying. She had a big trim in December. She was MBL but had mid-shaft splits so we did a big cut to shoulderlength. I cried. I have to do better.

Her 5 year old coarser tighter-curled sister's hair is thriving and it's caught up in length to her sisters. sigh..

DanceOnTheSkylines

I mix my henna with coconut milk for a smooth rinse out and extra moisture. You may also want to try a fine sifted henna instead if a bar that you have to breakup. My favorite brand is Nupur. My second favorite is Reshma henna and is more readily available at Indian grocery stores. I make my henna mixes a pudding consistency and think that helps for a smoother rinse out too. Also you can add conditioner, aloe Vera gel or oils for a smoother and more moisturizing experience. Happy mixing. HTH!

Last edited:
DanceOnTheSkylines

Sorry so late :(

I've just started using the tea. I brew a few tbsp in 1-2 cups of water. I use mine in my daily spritz but other ladies pour the tea onto their hair, cover, and let it sit for a while. They reported that they see the same benefits as using the paste. I have seen improvements in the strength and shine of my hair with my spritz.

I also mix the powders into my condish and use it to cowash.

Ugh! Damn Bonnet! Found the satin bonnet of my dreams or so I thought. First one in my 40 years that stays on all night!

Of course I now have tiny broken hairs around the hairline about 1/3" into the edges, ear to ear including bangs:ohwell:. The hairs seem to have broken to about 1-2" in length--mind you I'm a natural, never straightened, TWA shrunk so it wasn't obvious it was happening.

Scarves did the same thing.

Satin pillow cases are so uncomfy. I sleep wild and my head slips and slides all night keeping me half awake. I just might have to live with short edges. They are not thinning or anything, just 3 or 4" shorter than the rest. IDK what else to do... :(

DarkJoy have you tried silk pillows. They come in different weighting called momme, I think that's how you spell it, anyway the weighting determines how soft and silky/slipy it is. Mine is 16 and I don't find it too slipy. I think the higher the momme the less slipy it is. Anyway research it on the Internet. I bought mine on eBay and its not that expensive. And because silk is a natural fibre I don't get hot when sleeping with it

I bought my first bottle of Kinky Kurly Knot Today.
I tried it on a small section of hair (I washed and conditioned that small section and applied it and sealed with avocado oil).
So far so good as it's drying nice and soft. I have high hopes for this as there are no no-no ingredients for me.

On another note Taliah Waajid (sp?) gel is fantastic. No glycerin or protein and once dry my hair was very defined, nice and soft.

I'm on my way to finding staple products.

Bublin have you continued the low to no post wash products technique? It's been about a week. Just curious how it's going. Tia

DarkJoy
Yes. I'm now only using a leave-in and a tiny amount of Avocado Oil to seal (mainly my ends).
It has made the world of difference. Mainly because I'm now able to moisturise inbetween washes. Before, product, including water, was just sitting ontop doing nothing. This is why I was experiencing major dryness after wash day. I was using waaay to many heavy products and my fine/low Po hair was being suffocated.

I'm strictly avoiding glycerin and using very small amounts of protein. I've had to cut back on my usage of the silk amino powder - it was too much protein.

I can now say I have soft hair.

thanks for all of this great information ladies.

I am 4a/dense/colored/natural/shoulder length/with fine strands.

All was well with my hair even with the color until i started straightening my hair more often.The last few times that a professional straightened my hair they burned it so now I am dealing with lots of breakage from that. I have been cutting off all of the straight ends but I struggle with that because it leaves me with lots of short random patches. I started protective styling with twists but that meant less washing, less deep conditioning and less protein treatments....which may have also lead to my hairs demise. I have noticed lots of multi shaft splits as well as ssk's so I started using the tension method when drying my hair. I did not like it at first but I have gotten used to it.

The plan:
wash weekly with or w/o cornrows
deep condition and protein (with Komaza) weekly
use steam.
hot oil treatments when my hair is not in braids
TRIM my hair more often.

Hey Ladies,

UPDATE:
Tonight I am doing henna and hibiscus gloss. I plan to add some of the mucilage from fenugreek powder soaked overnight. I have my henna mixed and will add the hibiscus, conditioner?, oils, and fenugreek after coating the little grays around my edges.

After shampooing and conditioning with shea moisture, I still had tangles so I used my new shea moisture detangler and transitioning milk. The detangler ironically did not do anything (has vegetable protein) but when I put the transitioning milk on, the tangles just melted and I was able to comb right through. It was really moisturizing.

I have been using brahmi oil as a prepoo and getting a lot of shedding. I have read that the bhringraj powder added to brahmi, amla and shikakai is good for shedding. I am ordering the bhringraj tonight to use next week.

I will also get some teas to start adding tea rinses to my regimen. I just have to be careful to keep the moisture protein balance in check.

DanceOnTheSkylines have you looked at Mehandi? When I used to henna I bought from their website and I never had an issue with little bits and pieces of anything, it was very well sifted. I also found that I could mix it up in larger batches, freeze the rest and the second time around have much better color deposit because it had set for a longer time. I stopped doing henna maybe a year ago just for personal reasons but I loved their quality of product and the website had TONS of information about henna and indigo too i think. They used body art quality which has to be finely sifted and the website is Mehandi.com

HTH

Looks like Tresemme Naturals will be my cowash conditioner of choice even though I think it's a bit expensive for a rinse out conditioner. But my hair just responds so well to it - I mean no crunchiness or stiff hair at all, (even after it's fully dried) as with my other cowash conditioners. I will just have to use it sparingly, that's all just so it can last a little longer.

Finally done my extension braids ! I did médium ones and not big hair at all.

I dont wanna take à long time doing my every day chignon for work.
If its less hair,it will be faster.

So ill wear them 6 weeks,then 4 weeks my own hair... Ill keep doing that untill end of thé year (maybe even try weaves)... If i find à stylist that wont lose my hair

Hey Ladies,

UPDATE:
Tonight I am doing henna and hibiscus gloss. I plan to add some of the mucilage from fenugreek powder soaked overnight. I have my henna mixed and will add the hibiscus, conditioner?, oils, and fenugreek after coating the little grays around my edges.

After shampooing and conditioning with shea moisture, I still had tangles so I used my new shea moisture detangler and transitioning milk. The detangler ironically did not do anything (has vegetable protein) but when I put the transitioning milk on, the tangles just melted and I was able to comb right through. It was really moisturizing.

I have been using brahmi oil as a prepoo and getting a lot of shedding. I have read that the bhringraj powder added to brahmi, amla and shikakai is good for shedding. I am ordering the bhringraj tonight to use next week.

I will also get some teas to start adding tea rinses to my regimen. I just have to be careful to keep the moisture protein balance in check.

mshoneyfly how did your henna/hibiscus gloss come out like? What were the color results? Curious, because I'm tired of the semi permanent rinse bleeding every wash etc, but I have to do something to cover these grays in the front...

I did my new bi-weekly Emergencee/Humectress treatment yesterday. My hair feels soooooo good/strong right now. I alternate using Aphogee 2-minute and one of my Linange deep moisturizing conditioners.

I've decided to wear my hair down mostly and see what happens, but because I workout and sweat a lot in my head (all over, really) buns have always been practical. I've found, however, that by keeping my regimen simple I haven't added that much more time to my routine.

I shampooed and then did Emergencee under my heating cap, rinsed and added Humectress under my heating cap for 30 minutes. Then I took the heating cap off, put a beanie and bandana over my plastic cap and went to the gym for an hour. Came home, rinsed in the shower air dried to about 85%. Added Paul Mitchell The Conditioner as my leave-in, followed by PM Super Skinny Serum and PM Heat Seal. After about 10 minutes I did a light blow dry and flat iron.

I've been wrapping it at night and when I go to the gym during the week, I wear a bandana around my edges and a high bun with spin pins. I take off the wet bandana when I get home and put on a dry one. Before bed, I wrap my dry hair. I cowash on Wednesday or Thursday depending on how my hair feels/smells and wear a ponytail or twist out until my weekend deep conditioning session. Before my mid week cowash, I do a JBCO scalp treatment.

I put grapeseed oil on my ends (just a little) before I wrap at night. I'm loving wearing my hair down! I'm going to keep an eye on it over the next few weeks to make sure my new regimen is working.

Attachments

• image-4038182557.jpg
    image-4038182557.jpg
    328.6 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
After yesterday's wash and condition with Tresemme Flawless Curls Curl Hydration, I air dried in braids without product; no oil, nothing. I like that now because my hair dries really quickly and I get a nice light braid out the same day. Anyway, I styled in a braid-out pony tail yesterday afternoon when I went out. The entire time I was out, including being in an air-conditioned room, my hair stayed soft and held the waves. The only products I used yesterday were the Tresemme shampoo and conditioner. I'm sold on those...

Back