The orginal Fine hair thread 2013

Hello everyone,

I'm very very new here but I've been trying to do my homework. My daughter (bhndbrwneyes) posted previously about product recommendations for my ultra fine hair. I haven't received those products yet but not knowing she purchased them I went out and bought some myself. I don't have a regimen yet because I am still learning. It seems that whatever I do I continue to experience alarming hair loss. Some of my concerns are...

1.) I wake up with my hair matted so I must detangle. I have been instructed to detangle only while in the shower with conditioner in my hair and only using my fingers. Are there any tips to prevent my hair from tangling at night WITHOUT putting it in twists/braids? I lose hair while doing those activities also. If I can prevent tangling at night then I won't have to wash every day I think. I feel like washing every day would be too much.

2.) I've lost a lot of hair on my edges, can I ever regrow these areas? I used to brush that area to style my hair but I've learned to stop that. Do headbands and gel hurt also?

3.) I tried using S-Curl for my styles but I'm still losing hair while using it (not sure if it is the product of not). I think my hair needs products very very watery in consistency. Does any one know of a good LIGHTWEIGTH daily moisturizer? Would water and a little bit of oil be enough?

Also, can anyone tell what hair type I am? 4-something?
Thank you!

clbowler

welcome!

1. detangling in the shower with a conditioner is highly recommended, so you have that step covered. you can use your fingers or a detangling comb (wide-toothed) your best bet to avoid matted hair is to put in in some big twists or braids. you need to moisturize and seal while doing this at night to avoid dryness and breakage.

2. you can do scalp massages with castor oil mixed with essential oils , like peppermint, rosemary, tea tree, etc... to stimulate growth. instead of gels and headbands, try pomades that can help smooth your hair and edges down. apply a pomade, then use a satin scarf to lay down your hair for a few minutes or while you finish getting ready.

3. Scurl may not be the product for you. try Hawaian Silky 14n1, or Taliah Waajid Bodifier Mist. try the LOC Method (liquid, oil, cream) to moisturize your hair with.

I would love to use scurl but it contains glyceryin and my hair is sensitive to anything with glycerin whether my hair is wet or dry.

Best,
Almond Eyes

yodie, :giggle: say no to the PJism drink. If you have something working, stick with it. Save this for the day you run out of what's working and need a backup. Or you can just experiment one day so you know if it's a good alternative (John Frieda is an excellent line for serums so if you buy it and it doesn't work, you can use it over blowdried or straightened hair to prevent reversion. There is a thermal one that might be better to use WITH heat, but years before I knew about heat protectants, I used the plain ol' serum for my final flat iron pass and it worked for me. But to be on the safe side, now that I know about protectants, if all I had was the plain one (not thermal) I'd use it over my hair after it's been straightened to seal out moisture.

You told me about John Frieda awhile back. Ran to the store and picked it up. I actually really like the Argan Oil serum from Sally's, but it's not a heat protectant. So, I use the serum and the argan oil heat protectant.

I agree, no to trying new things. I'm going into hide my hair mode. This way I won't be tempted to try anything new and my strands will get a much needed rest after that nightmare twist out I wore for a month or so.
DEEPLY EXHALES OUT OF FRUSTRATION OF ONE TOO MANY SETBACKS

Nonie, it's almost impossible to baggy and maintain a straight style.

I'm natural, so my hair would shrink.

Last edited:
clbowler-

Welcome!!!

You have been given awesome advice.
I can't wait to read about your hair's comeback.
You are in a good place.

My hair also hates glycerin.

The only way I use it, is in my home-made detangling spritz (I use it to take down celies etc).
I add a few drops of glycerin to it, but after using I wash it out.

[USER=17046]yodie[/USER];18284507 said:
Nonie, it's almost impossible to baggy and maintain a straight style.

:lachen: Y'all are obsessed with straight styles eh?

Baggying indeed is not for straight styles. Neither is S Curl. And if you notice, I mention baggying usually with S Curl or when talking about my bare twists/braids all of which have nothing to do with straight styles.

I am not a fan of straight styles. My fine hair is so light and lifeless that I get bored of straight styles really fast. The only thing I love about straight styles is how quickly hair is to style when straight.

Since 2003, I have only worn straight styles 3 times, a week each time: end of 2004, end of 2006 or start of 2007, April 2009.

Last edited:
:lachen: Y'all are obsessed with straight styles eh?

Baggying indeed is not for straight styles. Neither is S Curl. And if you notice, I mention baggying usually with S Curl or when talking about my bare twists/braids all of which have nothing to do with straight styles.

I am not a fan of straight styles. My fine hair is so light and lifeless that I get bored of straight styles really fast. The only thing I love about straight styles is how quickly hair is to style when straight.

Since 2003, I have only worn straight styles 3 times, a week each time: end of 2004, end of 2006 or start of 2007, April 2009.

Nonie, definitely not obsessed with straight styles. I don't have much length right now. I'm actually going to add some tracks to gain some length just so I don't have to wear straight styles. Right now twist out styles don't look that great with my short hair.

[USER=364173]bhndbrwneyes[/USER];18284545 said:
Can you M/S, cross wrap and put a tight bag over your hair? Just curious if that would keep a straight style.

I think the moisture from baggying on straightened hair would cause reversion. Baggying is a moisture infusion process and when your hair is straightened, keeping moisture out is usually what you are trying to do. So I think a satin or silk scarf would be better. It is what I use when I flatiron my hair.

I think the moisture from baggying on straightened hair would cause reversion. Baggying is a moisture infusion process and when your hair is straightened, keeping moisture out is usually what you are trying to do. So I think a satin or silk scarf would be better. It is what I use when I flatiron my hair.

Nonie
bhndbrwneyes
I am texlaxed and wear my hair straight or semi-straight. I baggy/GHE about 3-4 nights a week and keep a straight style while locking in moisture.

What I do is M&S or just seal, wrap or pin curl, tie on satin scarf, add plastic cap, put satin bonnet on top. Sometimes I take the baggy off and reapply the bonnet in the middle of the p.m. to avoid moisture overload.

This works nicely!! The scarf will feel slightly damp but hair is soft and moist but not wet. Hair is also bouncy and smooth.

I have been doing this regularly for about 2 weeks now and it has helped eliminate the little breaking hairs I kept finding.

Last edited:
mshoneyfly

So when using your method, if you're wearing your hair straight and it's moist in the morning, do you let it dry before unwrapping it? I've been wrapping with a bonnet, so I'm curious about how it would work if I added the baggy for more moisture.

Last edited:
Nonie
bhndbrwneyes
I am texlaxed and wear my hair straight or semi-straight. I baggy/GHE about 3-4 nights a week and keep a straight style while locking in moisture.

What I do is M&S or just seal, wrap or pin curl, tie on satin scarf, add plastic cap, put satin bonnet on top. Sometimes I take the baggy off and reapply the bonnet in the middle of the p.m. to avoid moisture overload.

This works nicely!! The scarf will feel slightly damp but hair is soft and moist but not wet. Hair is also bouncy and smooth.

I have been doing this regularly for about 2 weeks now and it has helped eliminate the little breaking hairs I kept finding.

Hi there! Thanks for the great details!
I get the baggy part, but please explain GHE, is it a tool or product?

Tia!

quirkydimples

When I get up in the middle of the night to pee, i take off the bonnet and baggy to see how much moisture there is. I also might take off scarf and retie/tighten. All the dampness is in the scarf. My hair is never wet; just moist.

I suppose you could just put the baggy on over your bonnet.

Before going back to sleep I eliminate the baggy for the rest of the night and put the scarf and bonnet back on. My hair is nicely moisturized in the a.m.

If you try it let me know how you like it!

Last edited:
Hi there! Thanks for the great details!
I get the baggy part, but please explain GHE, is it a tool or product?

Tia!

grow
Hi :)

GHE stands for greenhouse effect. This is what happens when you baggy. The baggy is helping to trap and recycle the moisture generated by your body heat during the night.

If you try it let me know how it goes

I have to confess that I have been lurking this thread since it first started and I should say thanks to the OP for starting it.

I was at the end of my rope with my hair which hasn't happened in a while and I realize now that it is because I needed some hardcore protein so I ordered the Komaza protein. I noticed the difference right away. My ends stopped tangling into "spider webs" and that took me off the ledge.

I am using this:

220.jpg

as a leave-in and so far my hair is liking it.

I realize that in order for MY hair to grow, I will have to keep it stretched or keep it braided up.

Last edited:
Yardspice

I really like mostly all of the SM products too. The growth milk is a great way to balance the protein and moisture (which is what I need to stay focused on) :)

I also am loving Nubian Heritage

grow I also just learned about GHE. I was under the impression, though, that GHE also meant no product is used and you are just baggying on wet hair whereas if product IS used then it is just called baggying.

Can someone correct me if I am wrong?

@Yardspice

I really like mostly all of the SM products too. The growth milk is a great way to balance the protein and moisture (which is what I need to stay focused on) :)

I also am loving Nubian Heritage

I use a lot of their products, Oyin, and Taleb Kweli (sp) but I wasn't focused on my protein moisture balance but I think I am going to now just get the fine haired line.

@grow I also just learned about GHE. I was under the impression, though, that GHE also meant no product is used and you are just baggying on wet hair whereas if product IS used then it is just called baggying.

Can someone correct me if I am wrong?

@bhndbrwneyes, my understanding of GHE was no product as well (only hair could be dry too, not wet) but I saw some don't view it that way.

To me baggying is putting a plastic anything over your head or part of your hair to prevent moisture loss/transfer. I like @mshoneyfly's definition of GHE which in effect means the very same thing as baggying. Afterall, in English (or is it science?) green house effect refers to trapping the sun's warmth by the earth's atmosphere due to gases that allow sun through but absorb heat and radiate it back to earth, or in the case of plants the trapping of sun's rays warmth by a glass building. The common theme being "trapping", so I will continue to use GHE and baggying interchangeably. (I baggy with no products so even when I thought GHE was baggying w/o products, I was still using the words interchangeably for me coz they applied.)

Yep my new definition of baggying/GHE = wearing plastic over your entire head or part of your hair to trap/recycle moisture on your hair and that produced by or applied to your scalp. It prevents moisture loss and gives your hair a good moisture infusion pampering and encourages sebum production.

Last edited:
@bhndbrwneyes, my understanding of GHE was no product either (but hair could be dry not necessarily wet) but I saw some don't view it that way.

To me baggying is putting a plastic anything over your head or part of your hair to prevent moisture loss/transfer. I like @mshoneyfly's definition of GHE which in effect means the very same thing as baggying. Afterall, in English (or is it science?) green house effect refers to trapping the sun's warmth by the earth's atmosphere due to gases that allow sun through but absorb heat and radiate it back to earth, or in the case of plants the trapping of sun's rays warmth by a glass building. The common theme being "trapping", so I will continue to use GHE and baggying interchangeably. (I baggy with no products so even when I thought GHE was baggying w/o products, I was still using the words interchangeably for me coz they applied.)

Yep my new definition of baggying/GHE = wearing plastic over your entire head or part of your hair to trap/recycle moisture on your hair and that produced by or applied to your scalp. It prevents moisture loss and gives your hair a good moisture infusion pampering and encourages sebum production.

Nonie
Very nice synthesis of info. I love the learning taking place on this site!!

Well today after I rinsed my DC'er I sprayed a little of my liquid leave in and applied kinky curly perfectly polished which is like a serum and my hair is airdrying very soft... I might add a pomade or butter to my ends to plait it up because my high porosity ends don't hold on to anything... but if this still feels good tonight idk what I'm going to do about all these leave-ins I have to use up... but at least I can focus my pjism on cowash conditioners and deep conditioners! Lol...

Well today after I rinsed my DC'er I sprayed a little of my liquid leave in and applied kinky curly perfectly polished which is like a serum and my hair is airdrying very soft... I might add a pomade or butter to my ends to plait it up because my high porosity ends don't hold on to anything... but if this still feels good tonight idk what I'm going to do about all these leave-ins I have to use up... but at least I can focus my pjism on cowash conditioners and deep conditioners! Lol...

I guess Here is another proof of serum working Well.

;-)

shortdub78
Nonie
PJaye

Thanks ladies for your helpful advice. I took your suggestions and the past 2-3 days I have noticed a difference in my hair’s look, feel, manageability and strength.

Last edited:
Ok, I'm over the experimenting phase :look: It lasted all of 2 days :lol: I like my regimen and my hair, the way they have been for the past 6 months. I prefer my hair semi-stretched and moisturised with S-Curl.

Back