The orginal Fine hair thread 2013

I'm a fine hair natural checking in. How do I know? Well, individually my strands are hard to see. You know those shed or broken strands that end up in the sink. When I have twists in my hair, they are very spacey and my hair is very light & wispy and is difficult to hold a curl when straightened. The last thing which I absolutely hate is my hair is like a web and the strands stick together, drives me crazy!:whyme:

At one point in my journey my hair was doing great! I was washing with a moisturizing shampoo and using a protein treatment with each wash, followed by a moisturizing deep conditioner. I M & S and kept my hair in a protective style and never had to trim that much from my hair. Later I also started using henna & indigo.

Fast forward to now, my hair has become finer and is not making much progress. The protein & the henna really helped with giving my strands strength. I have to admit I have not been as diligent as I was in the past, so I'm going back to the above regimen, but I will also be adding a trimming schedule.

I hav a mix of fine and medium hair (although sometimes I pull a strand like a wire and wonder which head it came from:look:)
I started my hhj mid jan 2011 with a EL/NL, and by april 2011 I was SL and by october I was APL (the longest my hair has been my whole life):
My reggie at that time was : once a month Henna and Hard protein, once a week a reconstructor (aubrey or joico, prefer aubrey), a moisture DC under steamer! cowash mid week. Daily m&S and reglar trimming. My daily styling was twistout!
I used to have high density, bur since i suffered from a very severe postpartum(nov 2010) I lost lots of hair in the crown area and my density has suffered, some started growing back not long ago.
last year I decided to try baggy method, overnight DC and that destroyed my fine strands:perplexed, since february 2012 I have been cutting all my progress away, reached BSB in may, october 2012 I was about 1 inch from BSL/MBL (my bsl is actually Mbl). I decided to cut back to APL in january, to remove all the damage (mid shaft splits, holes,...).
Now I am back to my old regimen since it worked for me.
Not easy to be a fine hair lady!

Okay so I dusted my hair. This is the first time that I've actually done this. Previously I was only doing the search and destroy method. I was seriously considering dusting on a regular schedule but changed my mind about it after researching and taking into account my own experiences with my hair.

I do have length goals and while being fine haired has its challenges, what I've been doing has gotten me to a healthy MBL in 3+ years so I am going to keep doing what I've been doing and only make the tweak of dusting once or twice per year.

I just wanted to piggyback on some of these great points you make @almond eyes
Relaxers
You are very correct in the (sometimes) inability to stretch relaxers with fine hair. I am natural now, but remember how weak the demarcation line was. Any type of manipulation from washing to just running my fingers through it would cause SEVERE breakage after the 3rd month mark. And I mean hands COVERED in hair. I would regain a little thickness by retouching around the 10week mark.

Cornrows can cause damage on the rest of the hair not just the edges on fine hair. I just found this out, even with loose cornrows. They dont really protect the ends either because all along the exposed cornrow length there are ends just rubbing up against each other and stuff when you lay down, rest your head on your sofa, etc. The tension on the sides of the parts can cause the hair to break at the root if too tight or left too long. :nono:

Baggying/Steaming: Fine hair doesn't like to be wet for very long. I tried baggying and had a lot of ends breaking off. I also get this when washing, wet styling (ie, installing twists on wet hair) which also tells me time to up the protein. I rarely manipulate wet. Letting it get 50% dry first before styling seems to cause the least trouble.

Bunning
Can cause hair to break at the point where I put the bun :ohwell:. Eg, a high bun (whether phony or real) can cause fine hair to break at the crown--near the root! Not at the ends. I don't think buns are safe for shorter fine-haired ladies (like me). Best when the crown reaches full NL (that means the nape will probably be full SL to CBL) and you dont have to pull so tight to make it all fit.

Hey Dark Joy,

Yes, I am piggy backing on everything you are saying too about these methods. I am so glad this thread was started by coolista.

Best,
Almond Eyes

I hav a mix of fine and medium hair (although sometimes I pull a strand like a wire and wonder which head it came from:look:)
I started my hhj mid jan 2011 with a EL/NL, and by april 2011 I was SL and by october I was APL (the longest my hair has been my whole life):
My reggie at that time was : once a month Henna and Hard protein, once a week a reconstructor (aubrey or joico, prefer aubrey), a moisture DC under steamer! cowash mid week. Daily m&S and reglar trimming. My daily styling was twistout!
I used to have high density, bur since i suffered from a very severe postpartum(nov 2010) I lost lots of hair in the crown area and my density has suffered, some started growing back not long ago.
last year I decided to try baggy method, overnight DC and that destroyed my fine strands:perplexed, since february 2012 I have been cutting all my progress away, reached BSB in may, october 2012 I was about 1 inch from BSL/MBL (my bsl is actually Mbl). I decided to cut back to APL in january, to remove all the damage (mid shaft splits, holes,...).
Now I am back to my old regimen since it worked for me.
Not easy to be a fine hair lady!

wow your retention is great!! im jealous.

i trimmed my hair last.night (hubby did it well and exaclty how i.wanted)

its funny how all of à sudden it makes my hair look thicker!! even thé ponytail.

my longest layers were touching bsl. i cut my hair to apl.

i dont regret it!! my hair feels way better!

I assumed wearing a half twist out in a chignon worked for my hair or maybe I forgot how damaging it was. UGH. I have mid stand splits again!!! Sometimes I hate my hair. It seems as if I never get it right. One mistake after another since 2006 - whether I go to the salon or do it myself. So, I have to start trimming again.

I have noticed that my hair likes SAA. So, for now I'll stick to SAA and trim every 7 wks.

I decided to blow dry my hair after an overnight wash/DC session. I can blow dry my hair straight. I am not going to flat iron. I think my fine strands like a certain amount of heat, and being straight. I think my strands are too fine to be in a constant curly state.

I assumed wearing a half twist out in a chignon worked for my hair or maybe I forgot how damaging it was. UGH. I have mid stand splits again!!! Sometimes I hate my hair. It seems as if I never get it right. One mistake after another since 2006 - whether I go to the salon or do it myself. So, I have to start trimming again.

I have noticed that my hair likes SAA. So, for now I'll stick to SAA and trim every 7 wks.

I feel the same. It feels like one mistake after another. A product or technique works for a while then all of a sudden it doesn't - it's like the hair is sensitive :ohwell:. Having fine strands takes alot of extra work and attention.

I also dusted last night. Always hate to see it go, but it gets easier because I notice the retention for 6 weeks after a dust is noticeably higher.

I feel the same. It feels like one mistake after another. A product or technique works for a while then all of a sudden it doesn't - it's like the hair is sensitive :ohwell:. Having fine strands takes alot of extra work and attention.

I thought I was the only one that this happens too! I hate falling in love with a product or technique and literally like 4weeks later it doesn't work the same for my hair! Its frustrating.

there goes another one. ( trimming/dusting religously).
yup this year im gonna try sticking to it

I decided to blow dry my hair after an overnight wash/DC session. I can blow dry my hair straight. I am not going to flat iron. I think my fine strands like a certain amount of heat, and being straight. I think my strands are too fine to be in a constant curly state.

same for me. whenever i wear mine in à curly state : breakage !

i retained better when blow drying tension méthod after wash .
only bad thing is i was not dusting enough i guess. :-(

I thought I was the only one that this happens too! I hate falling in love with a product or technique and literally like 4weeks later it doesn't work the same for my hair! Its frustrating.

And i've spent far too much money searching for the 'perfect' product!
After all these years I still don't have a moisturiser.

Hmm... instead of SAA, I found Silk Peptides. Smaller molecule it says and more penetrating...wondering about taking the risk...

I ain't buying no more stuff!!
:lol: :giggle:

This is my LAST purchase. And if it's a fantastic buy, I'll not tempt you with my rave reviews. :lachen:

BTW, I was wondering you said that products sit on top and yet you can become overloaded quickly. I was wondering if you chelate/clarify often enough? Your water could be hard or perhaps just buildup as opposed to being LoPo Bublin

When will I learn that curly styles = breakage for my fine strands. Maybe I need to post a sign in my bedroom or something.
I'm getting a trim tomorrow.

How often are you ladies blowdrying with tension method or some other form of blowdrying?

I'd love to wash my hair every week, but that blowdrying is a bit much, so I opt to wash every two weeks, but then I can't DC.

Is blowdrying with a paddle brush bad or is it one of those questions where is it bad for my hair? I'm thinking that I'll wash my hair every 2 wks, blow dry with a paddle brush and just pin it up.

I ♥ protein. Co-washed with a protein condish after gym today and my hair is loving me for it. In the last 2 weeks, I've done two applications of henna, three mild proteins and Aphogee 2 step...my hair spits in the face of protein sensitivity. :lol:

[USER=343979]DarkJoy[/USER];18209559 said:
I also dusted last night. Always hate to see it go, but it gets easier because I notice the retention for 6 weeks after a dust is noticeably higher.

I dusted today. Dusting is such a fun experience for me. All twist ends look beautifully blunt when I am done. I have 100+ twists in my hair, and I trimmed off a 1/4-1/2 inch and as I looked at how much hair I lost and thought of how people gasp at the thought of dusting every 2 months, I had to laugh :lachen: at the insignificance of the loss. This is what I sacrificed today :lachen:

ForumRunner_20130408_212205.jpg

I put all my twists in a pony and pulled out one at a time, slid my forefinger and thumb down the lower end of the twist till only a tiny amount was between my fingers, then snipped above my finger and thumb.

So you see, ladies...regular dusting is such a small sacrifice to make.

When will I learn that curly styles = breakage for my fine strands. Maybe I need to post a sign in my bedroom or something.
I'm getting a trim tomorrow.

How often are you ladies blowdrying with tension method or some other form of blowdrying?

I'd love to wash my hair every week, but that blowdrying is a bit much, so I opt to wash every two weeks, but then I can't DC.

Is blowdrying with a paddle brush bad or is it one of those questions where is it bad for my hair? I'm thinking that I'll wash my hair every 2 wks, blow dry with a paddle brush and just pin it up.

yodie, I think brushes of any kind are the debil. You have bristles staggered so say the first row goes between strands, the following row basically scrapes against the strands ripping at the cuticles. :nono:

A ONE-row seamless fine-tooth comb is better and safer for your hair.

Also have you tried stretching with braids instead of blowdrying?

I have you to thank for getting me off my no-dusting behind last summer Nonie! Many thanks!

And yes, that's pretty much what I snip every 6 weeks or so. Its way worse if it starts breaking on its own!

Your patience with all those twists is envious. I just pick out the 'fro and kinda wing it with the shears :look: It's....kinda uneven:drunk:. LOL. I'll even it out once the crown is SL (EL now). Hard to cut a baby 'fro just barely out of the TWA phase.

I dusted today. Dusting is such a fun experience for me. All twist ends look beautifully blunt when I am done. I have 100+ twists in my hair, and I trimmed off a 1/4-1/2 inch and as I looked at how much hair I lost and thought of how people gasp at the thought of dusting every 2 months, I had to laugh :lachen: at the insignificance of the loss. This is what I sacrificed today :lachen:

View attachment 203841

I put all my twists in a pony and pulled out one at a time, slid my forefinger and thumb down the lower end of the twist till only a tiny amount was between my fingers, then snipped above my finger and thumb.

So you see, ladies...regular dusting is such a small sacrifice to make.

I have you to thank for getting me off my no-dusting behind last summer Nonie! Many thanks!

And yes, that's pretty much what I snip every 6 weeks or so. Its way worse if it starts breaking on its own!

Your patience with all those twists is envious. I just pick out the 'fro and kinda wing it with the shears :look: It's....kinda uneven:drunk:. LOL. I'll even it out once the crown is SL (EL now). Hard to cut a baby 'fro just barely out of the TWA phase.

DarkJoy, I put these twists in in 2009 and only ever undo one at a time to redo otherwise the rest of the time, I pretty much ignore my hair. I don't have to worry about tangles, the rain, hours of washing or styling. So my patience is not really something that gets tested. If you are referring to when I put them in, that was easy too. I rented movies and in a HIH disease-like playing in my hair I put them in. I finished them in that seating feeing more like I was relaxing not working since I love to feel my coils in my hand. But had I gotten tired, I coulda stopped and wore a hat until when I felt like twisting again. I keep my hair in Celie braids while twisting one secition. So even if I got tired, all my hair is safe in braids so no extra preparation needed if a pause is required. It is because I have little patience that I do everything to make sure my hair is the least of my worries.

All you who deal with your hair on a daily basis are the ones with patience.

yodie, I think brushes of any kind are the debil. You have bristles staggered so say the first row goes between strands, the following row basically scrapes against the strands ripping at the cuticles. :nono:

A ONE-row seamless fine-tooth comb is better and safer for your hair.

Also have you tried stretching with braids instead of blowdrying?

I've heard that blowdrying with a brush or a comb are both terrible. I've done the tension method. I don't love it, but maybe I need more practice.

Funny you mention braids to stretch. Tonight I washed, conditioned, and left some of the conditioner in. I added castor oil, did about 10 flat twists going back, took it out and pinned my hair up. Surprisingly my hair felt great and I didn't even sit under the dryer. Pros of doing this was: My hair felt great, I could redo this style every five days, it's low manipulation. Cons: My hair is not that long, so the style doesn't look as becoming as I would like it to. This is still a 'curly' style, so I'm not sure how great my ends would turn with this.

Another question for the fine strand ladies: Anyone have thin edges and nape? I've suffered from this since I got relaxers, but I noticed it's gotten worse the older I get. I keep it moisturized, but I'm wondering if something is going on with my follicles in these areas. I've tried castor oil, etc. I'm now doing more scalp massages for these areas. I need something tried and true to strengthen the follicle. Someone also suggested that I use Retina to open get rid of the dead skin on these areas.

DarkJoy
I shampoo with a sulphate once a week (only applied to my scalp and the run off cleanses the rest) so i don't think build up is an issur.
Infact i just purchased ors non sulphate poo in the new HiaRepair line. I'll see how thay works

Another question for the fine strand ladies: Anyone have thin edges and nape?

My edges are thin. My nape is fragile.
I do not texlax either of them.
They have been chemical free since 2009 :yep:.

I M&S, then I use the liquid gold green magic pomade to keep my edges growing.
It also leaves my edges soft.

Brushes = BAD in my book

I agree 100 percent. I have 2 regular Denman brushes, 1 Denman Paddle brush, 1 vented brush, 1 natural boar bristle brush and a Jibere baby brush. Of all these I use the baby brush on my edges when needed and the boar bristle brush on DD's edges when needed. Those Denmans rip right thru our hair even when I'm being super gentle so I don't bother with them anymore. I don't blow dry our hair either, I air dry then flat iron...hers I do once a year and no more than 5-6 times a year for my hair. Even with all the thermal protectants, our fine hair just can't stand the heat like the ladies with all the layers of protection in their cuticles.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Back