~*~*The Newly Natural Thread*~*~

So I did some searching for a protective style that was a little more creative than my usual twists and came across some long excellent ones on Curly Nikki and in the short-mid length natural hairstyles thread. I decided to do flat twists leading into a side bun and side bang. I've never done flat twists as an actual style, only as a means of setting my hair for a flat-twist out, so it turned out sorta busted...I'll probably re-do it with cornrows leading into twists.
000_140-vi.jpg

000_0140-vi.jpg

As you can see from how scalpy the flat twists look, my hair is NOT particularly thick/dense. I think I'm teetering b/w low and medium density.

I think I'll keep this style in for at least a week (less if I redo this Sunday with cornrows). I purposefully put some normal twists in the front bang and side bun so that I can do twist-outs on these sections to modify the style if I get bored.

I didn't know what to make of "scab hair" either. Now I do believe it's possible. I have a patch of hair right in the front of my head that is kinky straight and feels like brillo. I tried dcing, protein, everything and the hair just wouldn't respond. It's not like the curls are a different category (4b/3a), the hair just will not curl and is a reddish brown color. I just notice after my dc yesterday that the roots are growing in silkier now, and they're black. It will be interesting to see if this patch will curl once it grows out.

ETA: I uploaded some pics to my fotki yesterday. I can tell my hair is growing!!!!

I have the same issue too! I have 2 patches on either side of my hair right at my hair line that are the frizzy and dry, and it won't respond to any DC, or product.

StephElise...your hair is gorgeous:drunk:!!!!! I can see the growth :yep:. You are making it sooo hard for me to continue on. :spinning:

I'm going back in lurkmode since I'm not technically "newly natural"....I know you guys think I'm crazy with thanking ppl for their posts but I love this thread..it has tons of info. :):sekret:

Thanks so much mrsjohnson,hopeful, andromeda and platinum. mrsjohnson, your hair is still looking great too. I just stalked your fotki to see your cut. How long are you transitioning again? At least you may get a sneak peak of what it could possibly look like when MG does her BC.:yep:
You're more than welcome to keep coming back in. We're all still sisters even though you're still transitioning.:circle:

Yay MG lemme be the first to welcome you to the thread! I'm headed to bed bc I have to wake up early but I expect pics and videos tomorrow

:reddancer: Welcome Mummysgirl!

I've been stalking the transitioners thread anticipating your arrival:sekret: :lol: Congrats on being newly natural and welcome to the club!!!

Thanks Ladies :grin:

I'm enjoying it so far... I wore my hair like this in the morning:

I'm working on my BC (In my case, 'chop') thread :grin:

Welcome MummysGirl!:bouncy: Your hair is so thick and pretty! MrsJohnson75, you're welcome to stay and post in this thread!:yep:

Hey guys. Just checking in. I'm still wearing my hair the same way which is a modified wash and go I guess. The only difference is that I am not wetting my hair completely, only the ends to refresh. I'm loving this easy breezy reggie/routine.
So here's how my hair has been looking lately.

June152010022-vi.jpg

June152010029-vi.jpg

June152010030-vi.jpg

I made this hair tie that I learned off of youtube. I can't find the orginal video that showed how to do it but I see that there are several other ways to do this also. You can just search under loc or hair ties.

Did I mention how much I am just loving my hair!!!! So glad to be natural!!

Steph, it is very cute and I know you and Mummysgirl will keep this thread moving with all the style you create like you did during your transition.

Hey guys. Just checking in. I'm still wearing my hair the same way which is a modified wash and go I guess. The only difference is that I am not wetting my hair completely, only the ends to refresh. I'm loving this easy breezy reggie/routine.
So here's how my hair has been looking lately.

June152010022-vi.jpg

June152010029-vi.jpg

June152010030-vi.jpg

I made this hair tie that I learned off of youtube. I can't find the orginal video that showed how to do it but I see that there are several other ways to do this also. You can just search under loc or hair ties.

Did I mention how much I am just loving my hair!!!! So glad to be natural!!

Love the headtie! Is it the one Mwedzi does a tutorial on? I need to get on that

:hiya2:

My name is MummysGirl and I'm Newly Natural :yep: :yahoo:

I won't clog up this thread with my pictures and I haven't even created my thread (i'll do this tomorrow) which will probably have one million photos :look: :lol:

I posted a few pics in the transitioners thread:
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showpost.php?p=11277582&postcount=2543
&
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showpost.php?p=11276994&postcount=2534

My fave picture so far:

You did it finally MG! It's pretty just like I thought it would be and it looks a little like mine too:grin:.

Love the headtie! Is it the one Mwedzi does a tutorial on? I need to get on that

Actually it's not that one exactly. I tried to find the youtube vid where I learned how to do it and I can't seem to locate it now. But the one Mwedzi does is a nice one too.

Stephelise, your hair looks great.

Mummysgirl---- Welcome and congrats!!!!! I've been waiting a long time to see you in this thread!!

I went to Red Lobster last night and my server was an older natural sister. She complimented me on my hair. She BC'd in February but she seemed a little discouraged. I gave her some tips that I learned from this site. I also gave her told her about the site so I hope she joins.

I'm going to Vitamin Shoppe today to re-up on some vitamins. I'm curious about the Aubreys condishes so I'll be buying some of those today.

Welcome Natural Newbs!!!

MG even though you're newly natural I feel like you aren't, lol

Steph and Platinum love your hair!

My hair is growing!! I can tell when I put it in the bun that I wear EVERY DAY. But the growth and length that I've retained encourage me to continue bunning.

Hope everyone is doing well!

My hair is growing!! I can tell when I put it in the bun that I wear EVERY DAY. But the growth and length that I've retained encourage me to continue bunning.

Hope everyone is doing well!

I can't wait til I can put my hair in a bun. I knew it was something I would be missing when I BC'd. That and putting my hair in a ponytail. It's just something that I have to look forward to I guess. Right now I'm enjoying my hair's natural protective style ability.....SHRINKAGE!!

Hi Ladies... Day 3 of being all natural! :yay:

Bad quality pictures below (used my camera phone)
I was home all day on Sunday so I had my hair in twists, right before bed - I took each one down, moisturised and retwisted. Then I pinned them up, covered with a scarf and went to bed:

This morning, I took them down and combed my hair (It wasn't tangled at all :yay:), back to an afro puff ;) :

The twists have given me an idea for my style for the rest of the week. I'll do smaller twists (half the size of these), maybe a total of ~25 and pin them up into a style each day and I'll use a headband or some other accessory. I'll cowash in them too.. it'd be good to see how my hair copes with cowashing.

Last edited:
Hi Ladies... Day 3 of being all natural! :yay:

Bad quality pictures below (used my camera phone)
I was home all day on Sunday so I had my hair in twists, right before bed - I took each one down, moisturised and retwisted. Then I pinned them up, covered with a scarf and went to bed:

This morning, I took them down and combed my hair (It wasn't tangled at all :yay:), back to an afro puff ;) :

The twists have given me an idea for my style for the rest of the week. I'll do smaller twists (half the size of these), maybe a total of ~25 and pin them up into a style each day and I'll use a headband or some other accessory. I'll cowash in them too.. it'd be good to see how my hair copes with cowashing.

I love how those twists look and your fab puff. The hairstyle you plan to do sounds like one I just did while experimenting. I think it came out okay for my first time. I plan to keep practicing though. It really is a nice protective style too.
June152010015-vi.jpg

Back