The Minimum Effective Dose: Where will your hair be this time next year?

argh @southerncitygirl I didn't see this earlier:nono: That makes me feel SOOO much better...I wasn't sure if adding herbal teas (no sugar) would be considered. I carry moringa powder that I stick in tea bags in my purse and have about 2 cups of that and recently bought rose petal leaves to drink. I don't like cold water - room temp but I much prefer a tea:lick: And don't even try and send me to mountainherbs.whatever:lachen:

Last night I tried the Oolong that I saw you and @DarkJoy chatting about in another thread but added honey and I don't think I liked the taste with honey. DD (age 2 loved it though:look:)
*pushes the mountainherbs.whatever site right under your nose*:fallenang:lol: Nix08

The oolong, it really needs to only brew like 2-3mins. Otherwise its too strong. It's AWFUL lukewarm or cold. Best plain. Same with rose petal for drinkin. And they both grow the hair out quite nicely! Rose probably a little better.

How is everyone doing? I'm down 2 lbs and I had to trim an inch of hair due to ssk's and splits, BUT alas. . .I'm not worried about it. I got growth on the way.

adding: for the weight losers, drink water BEFORE each meal, 1 or 2 glasses, thats a small step, but it fills you up, thus forcing you to eat less, unless you are just an absolute greedy gut. lol(speaking to myself so don't take offense)

HeChangedMyName, so far I'm doing well, I'm up to 66oz of water since I make it a point to take my vitamins, but I need to get up to 100oz so thanks for the tip, i will definitely incorporate it :). How is everyone else?

CHecking in to say that I'm faithfully doing my scalp massages (and keeping up with my water intake) I am relaxed and feel new growth coming in well:yep:

HeChangedMyName, so far I'm doing well, I'm up to 66oz of water since I make it a point to take my vitamins, but I need to get up to 100oz so thanks for the tip, i will definitely incorporate it :). How is everyone else?

I'm religiously drinking a glass of water at the office before I eat my oatmeal. I do it everyday and I can tell a difference in my skin already. baby steps.

I have three different versions of the Zumba game for the Wii. I'm making sure I don't get bored with cardio. I really want to invest in a treadmill. I love walking and jogging, but the weather has made it hard for me during winter.

My one small thing....stop buying products because someone else raves about it. I've spent a lot of unnecessary money and time.

SunySydeofLyfe, you and me both!, I have cabinets full of products I've yet to use and yet I'm forever "just looking" around in beauty aisle. I've cut back on my pjism by taking a picture of the item and comforting myself with the fact that I can come back anytime I want and buy it, it will be sitting in the shelf waiting for me. It's kinda sad, but it works :).

I made a batch of an oil blend for scalp massages: grape seed, rice bran, peppermint, cedarwood and rosemary.

Last edited:
I have been consistent with my regiment and using castor oil on my scalp 4 times per week. My hair is getting thicker and looks healthy and is strong. I added protein to my regiment. My hair loves protein. I'm going to reach my goals by remaining consistant in this way! :yep:

Doing well with my water intake:yep:. I am still doing my scalp massages maybe not daily but still doing well. For sure my MED is going well as I am 7weeks post and not struggling at all...that is a first!

I have continued working out, and even increased the duration and intensity of my workouts. I am achieving a healthier body as well as a fuller head of hair.

I honestly think that the MED is they key to success in quite a few areas of my life. I began writing again, between 500-1000 words a day, instead of thinking about writing the entire novel in a month; eating better at one meal a day; organizing a small corner of my house a week instead of taking on the whole house, etc. I love this way of being. This is proving to be a great idea.

I've been keeping my hair stretched. From that I noticed that I have a patch of short hairs in my crown area. I suppose it was from my short lived time with a bad sew-in so I'll be trying to baby that area. My longest layer is now the middle of my brastrap so the stretching is pretty good. I'm tempted to attempt some wetbunning but that never ends well.

I'm thinking in the spring I'll attempt for marley twist extensions or use it for bunning.

LaBelleLL, what is the small thing you're going to incorporate into your regimen to get you to WL by 2014?

well to bring my hair length from mbl to full waist length, i will do havana twists for one year. i will leave them in for 6 weeks max, let hair breathe for 3 days and redo them. i will continue to moisturize daily w/ h20 & aloe vera juice and will seal with a homemade oil mix (right now i seal with a shea butter mix-too heavy for twists). i will grease my scalp with same oil mix infused w/lavender, peppermint or carrot seed oil.

i will start my havana twist challenge at the end of may 2013 when i disappear to study for the bar exam and will end it june 2014 most likely.

Last edited:
It is funny you mentioned me because I was going to bump this thread today and ask how everyone is doing!

My cardio has only been 4-5 times a week, but I'm working on building it up to 6 days a week. I'm doing 30-40 minutes of power walking & jogging. I bumped up the intensity because of my fitness goals.

I'm also working on increasing my water intake. I bought some cases of water from Costco and some of those Crystal Light flavor packets. I've been drinking them over soda and juice. I'm working my way up to 100oz a day.

So how is everyone doing with their MED? @melissa-bee, @Fhrizzball, @Vintagecoilylocks, @AtlantaJJ, @Nix08, @sunnysideoflyfe, @Angel of the North
@BraunSugar, @prettybyrd, @DarkJoy, @HeChangedMyName, @JJamiah, @TheMenAllPause, @beautyintheyes, @southerncitygirl

By staying consistant with my 1 small thing I'm now drinking 50oz+ of water daily, which before I wouldn't have been able to wrap my mind around doing even once a week! I've picked up a few other consistant small habits, so far so good :).
Well Onhergrind09, some things are up and others down. lol. I have been drinking way more water, but cut back on tea drinking..just got bored with the same flavors over and over. I have included more exercise but not as much as I'd like. Been a big fat zero with vitamins...which reminds me! Need to start that today. So bad with pill taking.

however, my hair is still growing well, just not as fast as it was on the teas and vits regularly. It's still pretty dern healthy tho. Need to get back on my MED stat!

I've been keeping my hair stretched. From that I noticed that I have a patch of short hairs in my crown area. I suppose it was from my short lived time with a bad sew-in so I'll be trying to baby that area. My longest layer is now the middle of my brastrap so the stretching is pretty good. I'm tempted to attempt some wetbunning but that never ends well.

I'm thinking in the spring I'll attempt for marley twist extensions or use it for bunning.

Hopefully, it is a patch of new hair that is growing in as opposed to breakage from the sew-in (the glass is half full until proven otherwise:yep:).

My hair is APL in the back and CBL on the sides. I hope to be BSL by Sept 2013 and WL by Apr 2014. That's some aggressive growth, but I've seen it done. I will take my prenatal vites (no bun in the oven), excercise on a regular basis, keep and keep my hair moisturized with my Elastica QP.

Last edited:
I've been keeping up my water intake, I haven't been hitting the the required amount for my weight everyday, but I'm doing way better than I ever have before.

Apart from this weekend, I have stuck to my regimen faithfully, this has also helped with using up products too. I have been bunning religiously, and plan to fit some wigs in there somewhere.

Onhergrind09 I have definitely been taking extra care of my hair, due to taking the swim classes. I fear brittle hair. I wash my hair now before going so that I can leave ample Deep Conditioner in to not allow the chlorine to do but so much damage. so far, so good.

Back