The Make It Work/NO Changes for 4 Months Challenge

MissMusic

This is for all the bandwagon jumpers, the product changers/junkies, and the inconsistent types alike.

The Rules are simple:

NO Product changing and no regimen changing for four months.
January 1, 2009 - April 30, 2009

That's It!

Now of course you can buy more product as needed, but you cannot change products. You cannot change your regimen to add the latest vitamin or technique, nope, you have to stick with what you know works. You can subtract things from your products and regimen, but you cannot add. This means that you have to think hard about what you need and what works for your hair or you have to make what you choose work. Now this may be scary, but let's put consistency to the test. Who's brave enough to join me.

To begin list your regimen including products and challenges and a starting point picture. Remember you cannot change these so be smart about it (put things you are going to try if you must, but really what you know works for your hair).

Who Dares to be Brave?

Challengers:
vnaps
blessedandlucky
gymfreak336
~*Tigget*~
SelfStyled
toy
jbailey
shortdubs78
vnaps
Urban
ILuvsmuhgrass
ladybeesrch
tishee
SNyeema
lilyofthevalley

Last edited:
My Regimen
Starting pic in Avatar

Products:
Shampoo: Organic Root Stimulator Creamy Aloe Shampoo
Deep Conditioner: Organic Root Stimulator Replenishing Conditioner
Cheap Conditioner: Vo5 Moisture Milks, Suave Humectant
Moisturizer: Hairveda Whipped Cream
Powders: Amla, Aritha, Brahmi, Henna, Shikakai
Oils: Ylang Ylang, Rosemary, Palm, Coconut, Vatika, Avocado, Extra Virgin Olive
Other: Fantasia IC Olive Oil Serum, Fantasia IC Heat Protectant Serum, Fantasia IC Frizz Buster Serum, Lottabody Setting Lotion

Routine:
1. Wash hair every five-seven days. Pre-poo, Powder/Paste, Deep Condition, oil and Style
2. When Dry apply Essential Oil mix to scalp
3. Moisturize and massage nightly
4. Relax every 1 1/2-2 inches

Last edited:
i think this is an excellent challenge......i feel a lot of the things we try dont seem to work because we dont give it time to work.....

i have been falling prey to buying STUFF and i was thinking of doing so again :nono:

thanks MCrzyGr....i will definately join this challenge.

i do however need porosity control conditioner/shampoo....thats all i'm going to add

i will add my products and regime asap....after a hard think lol

i'm in! i was planning on doing this anyway. it'll be nice to have the support. my avi is my starting point.

Products:
Shampoo: abba pure moisture
Deep Conditioner: ntm deep recovery mask
Moisturizer: ntm silk touch leave-in, jane carter nourish and shine
conditioner - abba pure moisture
Other: pre-poo with almond oil

Routine:
1. Wash hair every 7-10 days as it's dirty. Pre-poo, Shampoo, Conditioner, (dc every other wash)
2. Blowdry, Use caruso curlers and curlformers when i want curls, wrap at night
3. Moisturize nightly or as needed
4. stretch relaxers (relax 10-12 weeks) - this is my first stretch, i'm going to play this one by ear
5. protein treatments at the salon

Last edited:
Yeah, I need this in my life :lol:

Wash and condition every 3-4 days
Rollerset and dry
Relax every 10-12 weeks and cellophane rinses every 5-6 weeks
Heavy protein before and after chemical treatments

Products

Shampoo- kenra, coloresse, aloe rid
Conditioners- aphogee 2 minute, coloresse, affirm 5n1, dudleys DRC, silk elements
Leave in and styling aids- paul mitchell the conditioner, salerm, fantasia and neutrogena, serums

Some of us have the same mind this time of year:lachen:Altho I plan to continue my changes for the whole year. Every 4 months for measuring I will access my investment.

1. Wash & Deep Condish w/ Aphogee once a week
2. Moisturize Daily
3. Protective Style as much as possible
4. Henna/Indigo every 3 months
5. Stretch 4-5 months
6. Take PLENTY of pics thru my journey

Yea, there have been so many bandwagons this year, I just thought it was time for a challenge to get off of them, lol.

Oooh Yay- thanks for starting this. I was just thinking the other day that I am almost bored because I have found my staple products. I definitely want to resist my old PJ ways and stick to what's working. The one caveat I have is I am going to try a different relaxer the next go around but all other products will remain the same.

Here is my regimen
Co washing every 2-3 days, with Trader Joe's Nourish Spa or Aubrey's Honeysucle Rose or whatever I am feeling at the moment.

I use poo weekly Trader Joe's Nourish Spa or Cream of Nature( red label or green label)

On alternate weeks I shampoo with ORS Aloe shampoo. I clarify monthly with Nexus Aloe Rid.

DC once a week with heat, usually Silicon Mix or Aubrey's HSR.

After the Cowash, I apply Ovation Cell Therapy on my scalp only, put on leave in, usually the Sunsilk Captivating Curls(green bottle) or Hair One -Jojoba. I then seal in the moisture with Sabino Moisture Block, put on a silk scarf, and get under my bonnet dryer for 30 min on low.

At this point my hair is a little damp still- but I am good to go.

I moisturize 1-2 times daily, and seal with oil at least once daily. I seal with Olive Oil or Carrott Oil.

I always tie my hair up with a silk scarf at night for bed.

I don't brush and mostly finger comb. I will do a good detangle with a shower comb like twice a week.

Protein treatments are light, usually I will use ORS hair Mayo or Aphogee 2 min reconstructor every 2-3 weeks.

Growth aides: OCT or An MT mix with Donna Marie growth oil

I want to join.

My Regimen
Starting pic is Last photo in Siggy

Products:

Deep Conditioner: Wen Fig cleansing Conditioner
Cheap Conditioner: Dove Intense moisture
Moisturizer: Hairveda Whipped Cream,Qhetmet root burdock butter
& Qhemet Olive/honey balm,Hairveda green tea butter
Oils: Coconut, Avocado, Extra Virgin Olive,jojoba ,hazelnut,apricot
Other: Fantasia Ic Gel

Routine:
1. Wash hair 2x a week wednesday & thursday & airdry both days
2. When Dry apply moisturize w/above Products and seal w/oil
3. Moisturize nightly
4. Relax every 12-14wks

I know girl. I am just trying to find what works for me. My hair is in a crunch right now and boy is it crunchy. I mean literally. So I am trying to nail down my products.

I've been in and out of this thread like 4 times because I think it's a good idea but to scared to try it. Oh what the Hey..I'm in. Will list Reggie and products when I get home and go through my hair cabinet.

Here's my reggie:

Oils: JBCO, Cocasta, Vatika Frosting, Mizani dry scalp tonic
Moisterizers: NTM, Mizani nite time and H20, Green tea, whipped cream
Growth: EA Vits, Ovation system, MT, horsetail tea
Poos: Mizni Puriphying, Mizani bontanfying, Suave Clarifying
Conditoners: Mizani hydrafuse, Mizani Kerafuse, Mizani Fulfyl, Mizani Moisterfuse, Stirnillah, banna brulee
Other: coffee, lacio lacio, fantasio IC and olive oil serum, Mizani thema strength, aphogee protein, mizani reconstructor, Wen

Wash with Wen on Wed
Ovation system on Friday
Poo and DC on Sunday
Moisterize and Seal daily
Rollerset at least once weekly
Relax 12 weeks

Last edited:
there are not many people who took the challenge lol.....

it is pretty hard but.....

I AM SOOOOOO GLAD I JOINED......

i discovered an indian grocer in the city (melbourne) and i was going to buy all the ayurvedic oils, shampoos, conditioners, etc etc i have ever heard of on this forum BUT I RESISTED!!!!!!!!!!

im so proud of myself....... thank you for being with me in spirit ladies lol!:grin:

will post products and regime once i get my porosity conditioner.....i havent been able to go to the african hair supplier so i hope i can be excused if i do buy it.:blush:

there are not many people who took the challenge lol.....

it is pretty hard but.....

I AM SOOOOOO GLAD I JOINED......

i discovered an indian grocer in the city (melbourne) and i was going to buy all the ayurvedic oils, shampoos, conditioners, etc etc i have ever heard of on this forum BUT I RESISTED!!!!!!!!!!

im so proud of myself....... thank you for being with me in spirit ladies lol!:grin:

will post products and regime once i get my porosity conditioner.....i havent been able to go to the african hair supplier so i hope i can be excused if i do buy it.:blush:

yep, you'll be excused. Yea, I figured there wouldn't be too many people because not everyone has a solid regimen and this is a hard challenge. I'm Glad you're with us!

Thanks to this challenge I realize how few products I actually need, wow. I mean I really only need 2 oils, wow. Once I finish the others I'm not buying them again.

This is one of my resolutions for this year...im sticking with all joico proucts with the exception of silicon mix...My hair absolutely loves these products and just gets better and better. I've already dumped all my products in a box and am giving them to my mom and friends...

I'm sticking with vatika frosting, cocasta and JBCO. I'm crossing the others off my to try list.:yep:

I will join this challenge. Not because I want to. Because I have to.

I switch a-lot of stuff and i know i'm not giving them time to work, or they do work and i jump onto something else that i think will work better. Okay, i'll lay out my 4 month gameplan and get back with ya. I definitely needed this. My hair needed this. Thanks, Chica~

i want in but i'm waiting for my product to come in the mail, other than that i will not make any changes.
wash and dc with eluence weekly
twist with QB products and Jamaican mango and lime locking gel/ twist weekly
use braid spray daily and castor oil nightly
i planned on doing this anyway so i'm glad there is a challenge!

Back