The Great Egg Debate (hair Version)

charmtreese

I started back using eggs when a few months ago people were claiming that their hair was growing overnight by using eggs and coconut oil. I didn’t really follow the instructions from that experiment other than the use of eggs overnight. But, because I’ve used eggs before and have always hated the consistency and messiness of them I decided to make a hair mayo instead.

I’ve been pre-pooing my hair with a homemade mayo for the past 2-3 months and I really like the results. However, I’ve read that eggs/food proteins are too large to penetrate and therefore are a waste of time.

I’m having a struggle with logic over reason. I understand the logic, that the protein from eggs are not hydrolyzed, hence deemed too big. But on the other hand my hair and scalp seem to be loving this treatment. I mean the results are really impressive.

I have fine hair that is not protein sensitive and I use my mayo overnight before every wash (I wash/shampoo my hair biweekly). I feel like the results last and are not just rinsed out when I shampoo.

I was also wonder if I could make the protein in the eggs hydrolyzed by adding a little warm water to my mayo mix? Since the process (even though more complicated) to hydrolyzed protein consist of water, acid and heat. My hair mayo already consists of ACV (acid), I baggie overnight (heat/steam), eggs contain some water, however, If I add a little warm water to my mayo while making it…maybe that would encourage the proteins to penetrate. ß Not sure if that would work…just thinking out loud.

Is anyone else still using egg in their hair? If so, what are your results and do you find that the protein in eggs benefit your hair.

@charmtreese
Sounds interesting. Nice Post (and Thread).:goodpost:

This may be something I ask the Hand-mades to try to duplicate. :look:..:scratchchin:

I could use a good Egg Rx right about now and I know I ain't 'bout to be whippin' up nothin'.:eek:..:lol:

Your your results sound good and you like it, so I know it has to be good.

I think there is a Dominican Egg DC'er? I need to look at that.

I did the overnight treatment 2 months ago with egg, olive oil and coconut oil and my hair loved it. I also followed up with a deep conditioner (Straight Request Fixative). That was the first time I used egg in years. I forgot how much my hair likes it.

Girl, follow your own reason. Keep using it as long as it works for you.

I agree with frizzy. The proteins in eggs are rather large. When you hydrolyze them, you break them apart into smaller fragments that may penetrate the hair shaft. Re hydrolyzing the protein: heat and acid causes the egg protein structures to relax, but I also suspect there are enzymes involved (they actually break proteins down into fragments). Using warm water may soften your hair more, but it won't hydrolyze the protein and probably give you better penetration. It wasn't a bad idea though. I haven't used egg in my hair, but you guys are making me think I should try it.

I agree with frizzy. The proteins in eggs are rather large. When you hydrolyze them, you break them apart into smaller fragments that may penetrate the hair shaft. Re hydrolyzing the protein: heat and acid causes the egg protein structures to relax, but I also suspect there are enzymes involved (they actually break proteins down into fragments). Using warm water may soften your hair more, but it won't hydrolyze the protein and probably give you better penetration. It wasn't a bad idea though. I haven't used egg in my hair, but you guys are making me think I should try it.

I wonder if adding a little bee pollen would help since it's chalked full of enzymes.

I have only done it once, so far no problems. The only negative I have found is people complaining about it making their hair brittle over time.

I just read about the use of enzymes to break down egg whites:
Preparation of Egg White Liquid Hydrolysate (ELH) and Its Radical-Scavenging Activity

I always D.C. With a moisturizering conditioner, so I haven't experienced any brittleness. But again, my hair is so fine I've never experienced protein overload.

That's interesting about the use of enzymes to break down protein. Thanks for posting it.

@charmtreese
Sounds interesting. Nice Post (and Thread).:goodpost:

This may be something I ask the Hand-mades to try to duplicate. :look:..:scratchchin:

I could use a good Egg Rx right about now and I know I ain't 'bout to be whippin' up nothin'.:eek:..:lol:

Your your results sound good and you like it, so I know it has to be good.

I think there is a Dominican Egg DC'er? I need to look at that.

Yea, I really dislike making my own stuff. Back in the day when I first found the hair boards it was fun, but now I can't be bothered. However, I love this mayo so much that it's becoming a must in my regimen. If I could find a prepoo that worked as well as the mayo, I would stop with that too. But other than the mayo and brewing a pot of tea for rinses, I can't be mixing stuff!

I was loving the clay washes and henna but I fell off from doing them because I didn't want to be mixing everything.

Yea, I really dislike making my own stuff. Back in the day when I first found the hair boards it was fun, but now I can't be bothered. If I could find a prepoo that worked as well as the mayo, I would stop with that too. But other than the mayo and brewing a pot of tea for rinses, I can't be mixing stuff! I was loving the clay washes and henna but I fell off from doing them because I didn't want to be mixing everything.
@charmtreese
All of this right here!!!:giggle:

I'm curious though.:look:

I have only done it once, so far no problems. The only negative I have found is people complaining about it making their hair brittle over time.

I just read about the use of enzymes to break down egg whites:
Preparation of Egg White Liquid Hydrolysate (ELH) and Its Radical-Scavenging Activity

There are some proteins you can't use without following up with a moisturizer. When some people don't do that, they think they are protein sensitive. I'm not saying it's that way for everyone, but knowing how to balance your hair works.

You should. I make it the same way I would make regular mayo...I just add honey and use acv instead of lemon.

I mixed up a batch last night, inspired by your thread and hair. I'm about to wash it out now.

ETA: My hair looked and felt great after I rinsed it out with warmish water. It felt smooth and was very defined. I haven't used eggs on my hair in so long, I think I'll be doing this again:yep:.

Last edited:
:look:

I'm not so embarrassed to admit this then. With what I know about eggs, I was thinking of making a meringue, and applying to my hair. DH is a pastry chef, so he knows how to make the meringue and then heat it as he whips it. If I can talk him into it, I will do that and apply as a prepoo.

:look:

I'm not so embarrassed to admit this then. With what I know about eggs, I was thinking of making a meringue, and applying to my hair. DH is a pastry chef, so he knows how to make the meringue and then heat it as he whips it. If I can talk him into it, I will do that and apply as a prepoo.
Egg whites are supposedly good for oily hair. Will you have him fold in the yolks, like a soufflé?

Egg whites are supposedly good for oily hair. Will you have him fold in the yolks, like a soufflé?

I was thinking of both whites and yolk. But then I will want lady fingers :look: and then tiramisu :look:

I'm not opposed to either honestly, but I was going to let the yolks get hard on my hair and then wash. I feel like the yolks would bring back a little moisture.

I don't have oily hair, more like dry, but I've never had any issues in the past. I was also thinking of adding in some ACV.

I was thinking of both whites and yolk. But then I will want lady fingers :look: and then tiramisu :look:
I'm not opposed to either honestly, but I was going to let the yolks get hard on my hair and then wash. I feel like the yolks would bring back a little moisture.
@Saludable84
Lawd you makin' me hongry.:dinnertime:....:lol:

I see endless possibilities with this Concoction tho. Oil, Mayo, ACV etc......

Back