The End of a Long-Term Transition: VERY PIC HEAVY!!!

Amerie123

Yes ladies, this is long over due as I did my BC, (or medium chop I should say), back on August 3 after a 25 ½ month transition. I just been soo busy (barely have time for LHCF anymore :sad:), and I know when I made my thread, I had to come correct. LOL. So, sorry to post so late…

Anyways, the relaxed ends ranged from 2-5 inches in length. If I can do it all over again, I would definitely do the long-term transition again. I am so happy with the time I did it, and I am so happy with my hair. I used to think people were exaggerating whenever they would express how happy they were with their natural hair, but I CAN COMPLETELY AGREE….

Anyways, here are pics from the very beginning of my journey, to the chopping process, to the finished results and all are in chronological order: (captions underneath pics)

S7302740-vi.jpg

(Aug 2008): Where it all began and i was relaxed... (However, my LAST RELAXER wasn’t till June 16th, 2009, and I decided to go natural August 2009 when I was 2 months post.)

Photoon2011-07-24at11024_2.jpg

(FFWD to July 24 2011): My VERY FIRST braid out attempt ever on transitioning hair after I took out my last weave.

IMG_2785.jpg

(July 24 2011) The up close texture of the braid out

DSC_0112.jpg

(July 30th) After I flat ironed my transitioning hair: this was when I decided it is definitely time to cut… them ends looked horrible and I had enough of holding on. So, 4 days later when I had time, I would cut my ends off. The shirt is a little off to indicate where my bra is.

Photoon2011-08-03at16302_2.jpg

(Aug 3rd): I prepared to cut by sectioning my flat-ironed hair into a bunch of ponytails so I can keep control of what I’m doing

Screenshot2011-08-09at115654PM_2.png

I wet my hair to distinguish natural hair from relaxed hair

Screenshot2011-08-09at115608PM.png

snip, snip

Photoon2011-08-03at1652.jpg

some of the wet relaxed ends

Screenshot2011-08-08at122246AM_2.png

end results…

IMG_3187.jpg

(Aug 2011): a day or two after the chop… my walk-around-the-house hair, getting used to wearing it natural.

Photoon2011-08-04at13432.jpg

blow dried hair w/ some relaxed ends peeking through.. still gotta cut

IMG_3149.jpg

First hairstyle I wore out w/ my natural hair… no props.. lol

Photoon2011-08-07at22492.jpg

messin around in the house…

Photoon2011-08-11at23575_2.jpg

(Aug 10th): Got hair flat ironed to do a second trim and make hair even and do a length check of my completely new head of all-natural hair.

IMG_3472.jpg

(Aug 10th): About an inch away from APL; not too bad for two trim/cut sessions.. lol.

IMG_3323.jpg

Texture of flat ironed hair… no chemicals..

IMG_3399.jpg

pony tail on flat ironed hair after a week old…

IMG_3690.jpg

After two weeks of wearing hair flat ironed, I started back experimenting w/ my natural hair… this was a twist out (one of my faves so far).. I will not be flat ironing my hair till next year. So, I’m getting used to styling my natural hair.

IMG_3613.jpg

another style I’ve done on my hair..

Thank you ladies for viewing my pics. I cannot believe I am fully natural now, but I am loving every minute of it. Still discovering different styles… Thank you all for all the information and for the long-term transitioning support!!! Also, it seems that my hair is retaining much better; it is already growing, noticeably, from the time I chopped, to now (Sep 20th). I hope I didn’t overwhelm yall w/ pics.. lol..

Last edited:
great pictures. :yep: and I love your hair. Thanks for sharing. My best friend is in the process of a long-term transition as well. Definitely going to be sharing this with her.

Absolutely stunning! I love the extensive picture trail!

This is exactly the way I will transition. No bc for me.

Sent from my Comet

Your hair is beautiful! Nice and thick. I really like the way you sectioned your hair off before your BC. I wish I had known about it before I did mine. I just got frustrated and started cutting. :lachen: It was every bit of uneven...but like you, I loved my natural hair.

Congratulations on the beautiful progress you've made!

nice, you're the second persn Ive witnessed who's long term transition has made me kinda wish I had transitioned .... kinda lol

lovey hair

Thank you guys for the kind words!!! Again, I am really glad I did it this way. It can be done. My advice is low manipulation, and while transitioning, I wore it either in a protective style (like weaves, wigs), or when out, I wore it flat ironed to keep the two textures similar.

amazing Congratulations and thanks so much for this post!!!:dance7: You're hair is gorgeous. You are trully an inspiration. Could you give us some insight on what your regimen was and what definitely helped during your transition?

Last edited:
LOVE the thickness! How did you get it strait in the ponytail pics? Oh ok flat ironed. Did you do it yourself?

Back