The Bun that broke my hair off... Pix included

leejure

Remember I was telling you guys about the way I would "bun" my hair and how it eventually broke-off right dab in the middle? Well I took a picture of the way I use to wear my buns. It's in my album. This is the INCORRECT way for ME to wear a bun. It caused me to have over 3 inches cut off. I now wrap my hair around and secure the end piece with a silk scrunchy. So ladies...check your buns!

-lee

how about it is the wrong way? is it because your hair is exposed, was it the way you seccured your hair? (what did you do to secure the bun) just curious because I will bun my hair in a few weeks so I'd like to know.......

It was the use I did it. It's like I started out to make a ponytail, but instead of pulling the hair all the way thru, My beautician said a couple of things were wrong. One, I place stress on the same place, using the wrong type of "band" which eventually caused breakage and two, not pulling the hair all the way through cause stressed to be placed on the lat few inches of my hair which also caused uneveness and breakage. I hope this all made sense.

-lee

Eep!I wear my hair like this a lot.I cant do a proper bun to save my life.I will just use clips from now on and risk having my ends exposed.

Lee,

If not too much to ask, we'd love to see a pic of how you do the bun now
smile.gif

Lee, I just put up a post about this and if people thought the bun made the middle back portion of their hair thin. I'll be looking at your pics!!!

I have a co-worker who sells lots of items on ebay, so she is constantly taking pixs of her items (in her office) So getting hair pixs on the spot is no problem!

-lee

I used to do buns like that, but I noticed that the hair would feel funny. I quite couldn't put my finger on it, so I stopped wearing it like that. Now I'm a donut girl all the way.

yeah, i felt like i was wrong when i would do my buns this way..like i was half a$$ing it.....but now i will never do it...thnx for the reality check!!

Lee,

Is your hair secured by pins? Or is the scrunchy holding it in? I think you're saying the scrunchy is holding it in....just making sure! Thanks for the info b/c I've been experimenting with different types of buns and it's good to know your experience!

[ QUOTE ]
leejure said:
It was the use I did it. It's like I started out to make a ponytail, but instead of pulling the hair all the way thru, My beautician said a couple of things were wrong. One, I place stress on the same place, using the wrong type of "band" which eventually caused breakage and two, not pulling the hair all the way through cause stressed to be placed on the lat few inches of my hair which also caused uneveness and breakage. I hope this all made sense.

-lee

[/ QUOTE ]
What exactly was the wrong kind of "band" that caused the breakage? Is it the Ouchless bands or something else? And are you pinning your hair down at all for your bun? And do you do donut buns?

Wow! I didn't know you could do a bun like that. I thought a donut was always considered a bun meaning that you would just wrap your hair around the base. Thanks for the info.

[ QUOTE ]
RachiQue said:
ooh gosh thats how i do my bun...gonna have to change that..

[/ QUOTE ]

Same here.
frown.gif
I guess I'll make a real ponytail and then just pin the ends down from now on.

Oh heck; I like doing buns that way; it's so easy!! What if you don't like the severe, donut-style bun?? Wouldn't it be okay to do the type of bun in your pic if you use a silk scrunchie instead of a hair band???

[ QUOTE ]
hairlove said:
Lee,

Is your hair secured by pins? Or is the scrunchy holding it in? I think you're saying the scrunchy is holding it in....just making sure! Thanks for the info b/c I've been experimenting with different types of buns and it's good to know your experience!

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes the band is holding my hair. What ended up happening is that I would find pieces of hair in my band everytime I took the bun down. At the time, the back mid section of my hair was still a little dry (fighting a dry problem) so with the band and the dryness, pieces of hair was breaking each time I did the bun. Now mind you, I wore this bun like 99.5% of 2000-2001. Then on Valentine's Day (2001) (I'll never forget), I took my bun down and went to get my hair pressed and had this big gaping breakage in the middle of my hair. It was like someone took some scissors and started blinding chopping at my hair! (Sisters at BHSGO probably remember this story). At the time I was like 4 inches from bra-strap, and had to go all the back up to a few inches to shoulder length. From then, my hair had never really recovered, cause the breakage was actually shorter than shouldre length but I REFUSED to let her cut anymore than 4 inches. That was a sad, sad day for me. I actually have a picture of the breakage if you all want to see it.

-lee

[ QUOTE ]
Isis said:
[ QUOTE ]
leejure said:

-lee

[/ QUOTE ]
What exactly was the wrong kind of "band" that caused the breakage? Is it the Ouchless bands or something else? And are you pinning your hair down at all for your bun? And do you do donut buns?

I definitely believe if I wore a homemade stocking scrunchy or a satin/silk scrunchy it would have made a little difference. I say a little becuase I was still dealing with a dry hair issue and just the point of me putting pressure on my dry areas and at the same point all the time was causing breakage.

Now, I wrap my hair around itself and secure with a really no not breakage band, or I use the bun maker (displayed in hairlove's album) and I use the donut thingy as well.

-lee

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Lindy said:
Oh heck; I like doing buns that way; it's so easy!! What if you don't like the severe, donut-style bun?? Wouldn't it be okay to do the type of bun in your pic if you use a silk scrunchie instead of a hair band???

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes I think it will be okay. Just make sure you are not battling a dry hair issue and that you maybe switch up on the point of wear the scrunchy "lands" on your hair.

-lee

Lee,

This is really good information. That style of bun is my old standby when I'm not in braids. I too have noticed some of the hair "pullage", but I didn't realize how much a few hairs could add up!
Thanks for bringing it to my/our attention.

I wear my bun like this also and Ive noticed hair on my scrunchie when I take it out. Im not doing that type of bun anymore!

[ QUOTE ]
babyblue113 said:
I wear my bun like this also and Ive noticed hair on my scrunchie when I take it out. Im not doing that type of bun anymore!

[/ QUOTE ]

Same here!! I never thought it was the type of bun I was putting my hair in!! WOW...Thanks for the info. Lee. Can't wait to see the pics of the other bun.

You know, I can believe that Leejure. Whenever I do my buns like that for more than 1 day, I notice an immediate difference in the hair. Now I know why. Thanks for sharing your story with us. And your hair is absolutely beautiful...

Back