"That's Why Your Hair's Not Growing."

*Muffin*

I got seriously tried at work yesterday. This (white) girl who comes over to my job often and that works at a salon next door to where I work at came in yesterday with a guy friend (also white) that also works at her salon and we began a conversation that went something like this:

Girl: Hey girl, how are you doing?
Me: Good, how's everything with you?
Girl: Fine. When you going to come over and get your hair did (in shanaynay kind of accent).
Me: :look:...Uh, I don't really go to salons.
Girl: You could come in to get your hair trimmed.
Me: (jokingly) I don't even remember the last time I got my hair trimmed.
Girl: (seriously) That's why your hair's not growing :nono:
Me: :blush:...:angry2: (as calmly as I can) My hair is braided and in a bun, so you really can't tell how long it is.
Guy friend: I can braid your hair for you (in shanaynay like accent)
Me: :nono:

Isn't it amazing how people just assume that because you're black your hair doesn't grow? When I'm at work I'm required to wear a hat and have my hair pulled back and out of the way. How the heck does she know if my hair can grow or not? And what's up with the freakin' shanaynay accent? I speak proper ENGLISH, and even if I didn't I don't need you coming to me and faking a southern twang to try to get brownie points with me. All I have to say is that home girl better be glad I was at work and that I'm a nice person or else I would have given her an ear full. You don't come in a black girl's face, especially not at her place of work, and start talking ish about her hair :boxing:...:grin:.

Ooh, that would be irritating. :nono:

Well, look at it like this, you know the advice she gave you was bogus. Furthermore- if she were a great stylist, she wouldn't have time to be wandering around talking that mess, because she would be too busy with clients. The accent part is what would have made me the maddest :angry2:

Good for you for keeping your cool, Muffin :yep:

Ooh, that would be irritating. :nono:

Well, look at it like this, you know the advice she gave you was bogus. Furthermore- if she were a great stylist, she wouldn't have time to be wandering around talking that mess, because she would be too busy with clients. The accent part is what would have made me the maddest :angry2:

Good for you for keeping your cool, Muffin :yep:

Thank you. The accent was the icing on the crap cake, lol. I really hate it when non-blacks do that whole fake ghetto accent thing. Next time someone does that I'm going to be like "Never, ever in your life EVER do that again." :grin:.

Okay, i wouldn't even worry about the salon thing. people do it all the time. But the shananay accent??? Thats just trifling. I would have addressed that and told them to speak better since they're trying to tell you how to "grow" your hair.

LOL you just have to laugh at this one. I deal with this on the regular!!! I'm getting my Masters at a predominately white university and every time I encounter someone of another race, Its the same thing. WoooWWW you speak so well( and your name is Jessica! )... or Heyyyyy guurrrllllll whats the deaily yo! If I had a dollar for every time I looked at them cross eyed and kept it MOVING!

yeah, bump the hair advice...i wouldn't go to them for doing the faux "hood" accents regardless...

keep your head up...you hair looks GREAT in your siggy!

i dotn know if she assumes your hair cant grow because your black, i just think a lot of people believe that you have to cut your hair in order for to grow.

That's just plain ole' ignorant. Shanaynay huh...? What does she wear dashikis in her spare time too? Keep on growing sista. Show them all!

LOL you just have to laugh at this one. I deal with this on the regular!!! I'm getting my Masters at a predominately white university and every time I encounter someone of another race, Its the same thing. WoooWWW you speak so well( and your name is Jessica! )... or Heyyyyy guurrrllllll whats the deaily yo! If I had a dollar for every time I looked at them cross eyed and kept it MOVING!

omg! :nono: :hardslap::kick2:

Okay, i wouldn't even worry about the salon thing. people do it all the time. But the shananay accent??? Thats just trifling. I would have addressed that and told them to speak better since they're trying to tell you how to "grow" your hair.

I would pretend I was shanaynay and snatched her bald ! talking that mess. Apparently she does not love her life, because everybody know you don't come side ways to a sista regarding her not growing...

Pass me the grease and hold my gold jewelry

im mad just b.c. Ur black...they felt the need to relate to u in that shenaynay voice....but thats for off topic

Muffin, I know exactly what you are going through on the fake ghetto-talk. There was one white girl at college who seriously had me burning up.:hot:She took it upon herself to nickname me "Sexual Chocolate". :wallbash: This chick did NOT even KNOW ME. She just saw that I was black and refused to call me by my name. I became "Sexual Chocolate" to her on sight.

I tried to explain to her that she was being ignorant, and asked her how she would like it if someone called her White Chocolate. She got all excited and wanted me to call her that! :flush:

Folks can really try your patience. I'm glad you kept your cool, Muffin. It ain't easy.

Muffin, I know exactly what you are going through on the fake ghetto-talk. There was one white girl at college who seriously had me burning up.:hot:She took it upon herself to nickname me "Sexual Chocolate". :wallbash: This chick did NOT even KNOW ME. She just saw that I was black and refused to call me by my name. I became "Sexual Chocolate" to her on sight.

I tried to explain to her that she was being ignorant, and asked her how she would like it if someone called her White Chocolate. She got all excited and wanted me to call her that! :flush:

Folks can really try your patience. I'm glad you kept your cool, Muffin. It ain't easy.

She probably waited her WHOLE life for the opportunity to use the words sexual and chocolate together. :lachen: You were her opportunity. :yep: And girl when you offered to call her "White Chocolate" you made her universe. :lachen:

I have never had a white hairdresser try to scam me. Kinda hilarious. How the hell she know if your hair is growing or not. She must have heard the you need a trim scam from another black hairdresser, coz last i checked most white women sure don't trim their hair often (like once or twice a year!).
But the fake accent is really irritating, well its good that you kept your cool because you were at work

Last edited:
Seems to me that she was just trying to get some business. I would just ignore her and keep it stepping! You know your hair looks good and can grow.

Ugh, people like her just makes me MADDD!!! Ignorance is bliss!

:lachen::lachen::lachen: Sounds like she was trying to drum up some business. Ignore her.

Exactly! My salon is usually jumping and there were only 3 of us in there when I got my touchup. The economy- :wallbash: That's funny though how they could see through your bun to tell you you just really needed to come to them. they tried to double team ya!:lachen: I would have just laughed it off.

I am so mad that she sauntered over to you and said those things.

Can you type how she sounded? Cause this totally trips me out.

And what's up with the freakin' shanaynay accent? I speak proper ENGLISH, and even if I didn't I don't need you coming to me and faking a southern twang to try to get brownie points with me.

I've had this happen several times, too. :nono: Don't they realize how foolish they sound?

Exactly! That Shenaynay accent alone would turn me off.

How insulting! :wallbash:

yeah, bump the hair advice...i wouldn't go to them for doing the faux "hood" accents regardless...

keep your head up...you hair looks GREAT in your siggy!

you know what?? do they sell products in the salon? I can't wait unil you wear your hair down and go to the salon acting like you gonna by something and swing all that beautiful long hair in her face! pm me and let me know how it goes.

It's called talking in blackface and it's insulting.

I know a law professor who generated a ream of paperwork in one week because one of his yt colleagues tried that mess. Believe me, by the end of that week old boy was back to using the Queen's English!

I got seriously tried at work yesterday. This (white) girl who comes over to my job often and that works at a salon next door to where I work at came in yesterday with a guy friend (also white) that also works at her salon and we began a conversation that went something like this:

Girl: Hey girl, how are you doing?
Me: Good, how's everything with you?
Girl: Fine. When you going to come over and get your hair did (in shanaynay kind of accent).
Me: :look:...Uh, I don't really go to salons.
Girl: You could come in to get your hair trimmed.
Me: (jokingly) I don't even remember the last time I got my hair trimmed.
Girl: (seriously) That's why your hair's not growing :nono:
Me: :blush:...:angry2: (as calmly as I can) My hair is braided and in a bun, so you really can't tell how long it is.
Guy friend: I can braid your hair for you (in shanaynay like accent)
Me: :nono:

Isn't it amazing how people just assume that because you're black your hair doesn't grow? When I'm at work I'm required to wear a hat and have my hair pulled back and out of the way. How the heck does she know if my hair can grow or not? And what's up with the freakin' shanaynay accent? I speak proper ENGLISH, and even if I didn't I don't need you coming to me and faking a southern twang to try to get brownie points with me. All I have to say is that home girl better be glad I was at work and that I'm a nice person or else I would have given her an ear full. You don't come in a black girl's face, especially not at her place of work, and start talking ish about her hair :boxing:...:grin:.

And what kind of "hairdresser" offers a trim without looking to see if you even have damaged ends? WHAT A BUTTCLOWN!:nono:

ugh, she and her friend both sound annoying. i wonder how she would've liked it if you had responded in some valley girl or hick accent?

Those fools will probably think it's a weave. :nono:

you know what?? do they sell products in the salon? I can't wait unil you wear your hair down and go to the salon acting like you gonna by something and swing all that beautiful long hair in her face! pm me and let me know how it goes.

Back