Texlaxers Support Thread

Update: As time has passed my relaxing time has grown. Currently, I relax for 25-30minutes from application to rinse. Before, my hair seemed to revert. But, now that its more processed when it bounces back it is still the texture I aimed for. I still use half Silk Elements Mild Lye and half cholesterol conditioner to texturize my hair. I'm guessing that if I used straight relaxer my time would cut in half, but I don't want to mess with a method that works.

:hiya2: Nubianqt....I used your technique to texlax my hair and it came out GREAT!!! I only left it in for 7 mins and still have my curly texture. I think I may increase the time a lil next go round. I think I missed a small patch in the back tho :wallbash: but I'll make sure I get it next time.

Thanks Nubian and everyone for sharing your techniques.

:hiya2: Nubianqt....I used your technique to texlax my hair and it came out GREAT!!! I only left it in for 7 mins and still have my curly texture. I think I may increase the time a lil next go round. I think I missed a small patch in the back tho :wallbash: but I'll make sure I get it next time.

Thanks Nubian and everyone for sharing your techniques.

YEAH! I'm glad it worked for you! :grin:

ok I went ahead and did it because I felt like it was time for a change.... I followed the directions on the box.... I love how it turned out. I love my hair! Click the link below..... YAY!:drunk:

http://http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z132/pinkdot17/texturizerJuly62008.jpg

Did you transition to natural first? I thought originally you were looking for someone who texturized their newgrowth and grew out the bone straight relaxer.

But anyway, your hair looks great! What relaxer/texturizer did you use?

Did you transition to natural first? I thought originally you were looking for someone who texturized their newgrowth and grew out the bone straight relaxer.

But anyway, your hair looks great! What relaxer/texturizer did you use?

Thank you thank you thank you both! I am still relaxed and I'm 4 months post. But the majority of my hair is relaxed. But I just followed the directions on the box. It said to flat twist the hair as if you are corn rowing in 6 rows and add rollers on the ends to curl them up. It said to sit under a dryer or let it air dry....I let it air dry half way then sat under a soft bonnet. I used Botanicals btw I looooove your hair!

I've never heard of that before! That's a first for me :shocked: You hair looks wonderful. Is it permenantly curly even though you're relaxed? I'm just trying to understand it. It really looks great.

Thank you thank you thank you both! I am still relaxed and I'm 4 months post. But the majority of my hair is relaxed. But I just followed the directions on the box. It said to flat twist the hair as if you are corn rowing in 6 rows and add rollers on the ends to curl them up. It said to sit under a dryer or let it air dry....I let it air dry half way then sat under a soft bonnet. I used Botanicals btw I looooove your hair!

Good looking out here. I have never heard that expression before and have been curious about the process. I've always been of the notion that chemicals are chemicals and call a spade a spade. Perhaps once I read this I will learn something new (went to beauty school for just enough hours to learn about chemikills).

Anyway . . . I encouraged my girlfriend to join this board and was telling her that it does have women here with chemicals and that she should join anyway. Then, I plugged the "texlaxing" thing to her without really knowing what the heck I was talking about [I reallly wanted her to join and learn all the new cool stuff I am learning about healthy hair; she did! yeah] Anyway, I'm going to e-mail her this link for further encouragement.

Thanks for providing it.

Texlaxing sounds so good to me right now! I usually relax to bone straight but I might be changing here soon!!! HMMM.............:drunk:

Does that mean I am transitioning to Texlax????:ohwell:

I'm doing this. I am just tired of my hair looking super strait.:grin: It's going to take awhile because I don't know where to start.:ohwell: I have to grow my nape out some first. One I get my hair in a pony tail, I will be transitioning.

Please fully explain texlaxing. What is it, how do you do it? I have relaxed hair. But not bone straight. The hair salon I have gone to for the past 6 years does not believe in relaxing hair bone-straight. They feel it is damaging to hair, and will cause it to break easily because it has no give in it, and it is more fragile. I go along with that, but consequently when it is humid out my hair frizzes and swells like hair without chemical. This constant phenomenon, along with encouragement from my girlfriend, has led me to want to wear the hair with more of a natural flair. I also want to grow it back (it was a few months ago from shoulder length to a bob; in the past it has been nearly mid-back length).

(You know now that I think about it, I don't think the hair is relaxed, I think it is more in the category of being texturized. Shame on me for not really knowing.)

I don't want to cut off the relaxer, in fact I would still like to get it every 10 - 12 weeks like I have been doing, but I want to wear styles that will allow me to care for my hair without excess heat, such as flat ironing on humid days (which we get a lot of). I have been practicing with twists, french rolls, and braiding overnight that is pulled apart in the morning.

I really don't know what I'm asking, or if I'm asking anything. Just need advice and encouragement for growing and taking care of my 4a/b type hair that is chemically relaxed. I have learned a lot from my friend who is on board, and by reading the threads myself. Thank you all for sharing your stories. They really help this newbee!

Amarifox

Hey Amarifox, welcome to the board. I hope someone here can help, keep bumping the thread if you have to, or pm one of the texlaxed ladies who have already replied to this thread. It would help if people could see your wet hair though, or even dry so long as it hasn't been straightened, because maybe you are already texlaxed or texturized and don't even realize it. Well good luck.

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=181081

Here is a thread about showing texlaxed wet hair - and there are all hair types here. If your hair has some sping to it and isn't bine straight when wet, the I wqouls say that you were texlaxed.

I am having issues with my hair at the moment with breakage. I think I am going to start back on ORS replenishing for 45 mins 2 a week to get the strenght back and protective style. I also think I am underprocessed in some area's and so it is hard to detangle eaaily.

Please fully explain texlaxing. What is it, how do you do it? I have relaxed hair. But not bone straight. The hair salon I have gone to for the past 6 years does not believe in relaxing hair bone-straight. They feel it is damaging to hair, and will cause it to break easily because it has no give in it, and it is more fragile. I go along with that, but consequently when it is humid out my hair frizzes and swells like hair without chemical. This constant phenomenon, along with encouragement from my girlfriend, has led me to want to wear the hair with more of a natural flair. I also want to grow it back (it was a few months ago from shoulder length to a bob; in the past it has been nearly mid-back length).

(You know now that I think about it, I don't think the hair is relaxed, I think it is more in the category of being texturized. Shame on me for not really knowing.)

I don't want to cut off the relaxer, in fact I would still like to get it every 10 - 12 weeks like I have been doing, but I want to wear styles that will allow me to care for my hair without excess heat, such as flat ironing on humid days (which we get a lot of). I have been practicing with twists, french rolls, and braiding overnight that is pulled apart in the morning.

I really don't know what I'm asking, or if I'm asking anything. Just need advice and encouragement for growing and taking care of my 4a/b type hair that is chemically relaxed. I have learned a lot from my friend who is on board, and by reading the threads myself. Thank you all for sharing your stories. They really help this newbee!

Amarifox

Welcome. Plase check out the second post on this thread. It contains to answer to most of your questions.

*REMINDER TO THOSE WHO JUST SAW THE THREAD* Please take a look at the second post in this thread before you post questions. I'm sure the OP spent a lot of time putting that post together, so let's not have her efforts in vain. TIA.

Good going Amarifox; I am so proud of you. Someone mentioned a pic of your hair. I would be more than happy to take it and upload it for ya. Jus' holla. I can take it tomorrow before (or after) Bookstudy :grin: and have it up before you get home.

Thanks ladies for your replies and support. You have helped me to be more determined to get my hair back. After reading throught the threads and posts on this site I see it can be done. :newbie:

So how is it going with the Texlaxed Ladies? I am gonna bump for others. I am doing Great and enjoying having my curls, I am hopin to touch up the 1st of January '09' and then in July '09', so I am pushing to touch up every 6 months. I am gonna be using Mizani Butter Blend. Right now I am phony Bunning for winter or any phony pony LOL!!

So how is it going for you all?

I texlaxed in February, and actually thought I would not need to do it again for a year. But I think I will have to again in November if I want to wear rollersets, because otherwise my curls are too tight at the scalp, and wave up as soon as I work out, creating the appearance of a "hair hat" if I try to wear my hair out! :)

Well I actually became a texlaxed head by accident. It started with switching relaxers. I was first using Precise relaxer mild which was making my hair thin, and making it look like I didn't even have a relaxer at all by week 3 or 4 :nono: (I truly don't recommend using this relaxer). Then I started using Mizani BB for color-treated/fine hair, I added about 1/2 of a cup to the relaxer and greased up my ends, and scalp like I was gonna cook some chicken because the salon I go to sometime be rushing so fast that the relaxer sometimes touches already relaxed parts. I really like the body I had in my hair even on the first day of a touch-up which is rare for me, and when my hair is wet it's not stick straight anymore, it's wavy from root to tip which I love! So that's how I became texlaxed, sometimes I add more oil each time so I can even more thickness, and waves.

BTW: Is there a self-relaxed support thead because I'm thinking about it?

I am currently relaxed and in Catch 22. I don't want to deal with going natural but I am tired of the thin, see-through ends that has resulted from relaxers. This may be my answer. Just wondering how long it took for those who transitioned from relaxed to texlaxed and what was your regimen while doing so?

Question for you ladies

Last Sept I tex-laxed after a 29 week stretch (had braids in my hair all last summer) and then I texlaxed this January after a 15 week stretch. Because I was trying not to overlap on my hair I have some sections that
have puffy hair in the middle. It's like this diagram of a hair section below

S_______/OOO/_______

S = scalp
__ = new new growth for recent texlax

/oo/ = hair that was new growth the 1st tex lax but I didn't get that time or this time with the 2nd tex lax (trying not to overlap)

___ = old relaxed ends from before (last reg relaxer feb 08)

My question is this: do I have to cut my hair at the puffy section in the middle so it can be like the rest of my hair? If I cut it, I will have a fuzz ball ends because it is a section of new growth that never had been texlaxed before. Has anyone had this happen to you and what did you do to correct it if anything? Gracias!

I am currently relaxed and in Catch 22. I don't want to deal with going natural but I am tired of the thin, see-through ends that has resulted from relaxers. This may be my answer. Just wondering how long it took for those who transitioned from relaxed to texlaxed and what was your regimen while doing so?

I started texlaxing in 2/2006, and honestly, I don't know how long it took to transition completely. However, it would depend on how long your hair is when you begin texlaxing, how fast it grows and how much you plan to trim in the process. I trimmed gradually until the overprocessed ends were gone.

I have always kept a very simple regimen, and I didn't do anything different during the transition. My hair regimen is basically:

- eat healthy, get regular exercise, avoid stress and get adequate sleep
- moisturize once per day and avoid direct heat
- co-wash once per week, detangle then rollerset
- if there is buildup, shampoo, add leave-in(s), detangle then rollerset
- comb/detangle only when hair is damp; fingercomb when dry
- wear hair in an updo or curly/textured style (preferred over straight styles)
- self-relax every 13/14 weeks (4 times a year); protein treatment, DC and color rinse at that time
- protect hair from rough surfaces and at bedtime
- trim hair after a major goal is surpassed or as needed/desired
- leave hair alone as much as possible (low manipulation)

My more-detailed hair regimen is located in my fotki, in the "About Me" section.

I wish you success with your decision.
icon7.gif

I am going to start texlaxing this year....starting with my relaxer in Feb....it will be the first one of the year!! I think i am already kinda texlaxed....but i want to be completely texlaxed next year!!

Back