Tallahassee Ladies-- where do you get your hair done??

hOnii

I have become soooooooo discouraged in finding a GOOD stylist in Tallahassee who has my hair's best interest at heart, so I thought I would see if any of you ladies had any stylist recommendations!

Today was just the last straw:

I went to Ambiance Salon for the first time to try it out, and I had the owner doing my hair. When I arrived at 10AM for my appt, she finally came out and looked at her book, and said that she had my down for a wash and set, which I had requested a relaxer, trim, and set. So that irked me a little, but she fixed it. There was another girl for her also waiting, and she asked her what she was getting, and she just needed a wash and set, and she sent her right back to the assistant to get her washed. This should have raised a red flag for me, as it was already 10:15.

It wasn't until 11AM until she finally started doing my relaxer. She didn't even do any kind of consultation with me being that it was my first time there, she just started relaxing. I was irritated by then, and not in a very friendly mood, so I was pretty quiet, and she didn't even bother to try to talk to me. She continued to talk to all the people around her. She was very harsh with my hair, which I find is my main issue with stylists b/c my hair is extremely delicate. There was no mirror at her station-- another red flag, and after she finished putting the relaxer in I moved to another station, where I caught a glance at my hair. She had put relaxer about 3 inches past my new growth! This was strike two.

She had me sit and wait, while she took some other clients and did their hair, and I began to wonder when she was going to wash me! I started to burn a little, and I told her this, and she said ok, it just needed a little longer. She finished flat ironing another girls hair, then saran wrapped her and put her under the dryer, then she washed another lady's hair and PUT ROLLERS IN! By now I am full on burning, and it had to have been over 20min since the relaxer had been on! I actually started to wonder whether all my hair was going to fall out!

Well finally she finished, and told me to come over, and she washed me out. She put a conditioner on me, and shoved me under the dryer forever, while she took a few other customers. An assistant came much later to wash me out, and she asked me what I was getting, and I told her a roller set, but I asked her how long it would take, since I had somewhere to be, and hadn't anticipated being at the salon for so long! She said about an hour, and I said ok. So she takes me to the chair, and gets about 4 rollers in, when she stops and heads over to the shampoo room, without telling me anything. About 15 minutes pass by, and I'm still waiting for her to come back! By now I'm getting angry, and I have LHCF on the mind as I think of some of the brave ladies who have got up and walked out!

So finally a different assistant comes over, and attempts to start rolling my hair again-- This was around 1:15. I tell her that I have to go, and that I will pay for the relaxer and finish my hair at home. She tells me to let her blowdry me, and I tell her that isn't necessary. She took out the 4 rollers, and I put my hair in a ponytail and got up. She goes to tell my stylist, who is doing someone elses hair of course, and she comes over and apologizes and insists that I let the assistant dry my hair. I tell her no thanks, that I have to go, and she insists again, and says that she will curl my hair as soon as she's done...So I sit back down (:nono:) and she dries me. My stylist/owner then flat irons my hair, then saran wrapped me, then put me under the dryer forever once again. After like 30 mins she came and got me, and had me wait while she finished someone's hair, and she proceeded to flat iron me again (to style this time) on a very high heat I might add.

Well i ended up walking out of there 4 hours later, at 2. She didn't even give me a discount! I couldn't believe it..and I will NEVER go back again.

Overall, my hair went thru soooo much trauma today I am surprised I have anything left on my head! The rough comb thru of my unruly new growth, the ripping through the tangles, the overprocessing, the heat from the deep conditioning/first flat iron/second flat iron. My hair must hate me-- I'll have to deep condition for days after that one... I really have almost given up on having someone else do my hair. But I just can't relax myself! I have done it in the past, and ended up getting relaxer on more than new growth, and burning myself b/c I couldn't get it done quick enough. My hair was in bad shape when I self-relaxed, so this is not an option. Salon-goers in Tallahassee, please help me out! Who's your stylist?

Last edited:
Marvalous is a good salon and there is another place my sister used to go to when she lived here. It is on South Adams by the post office. I will call her tomorrow and find out the name of it. A girl named Freda used to do her hair and she was very please with it.

I am sorry you went through all of that. This is the reason I have learned to care for my own hair and leave the salons alone. I hate waiting all day and I have kids that I refuse to leave with a sitter or friends so I can come home mad as the devil all to sweat it out playing with the kids later.

Last edited:
its been awhile but i think the name of the salon is beautify me. the name of the lady i went to is called olivia. she was very considerate and nice. they were also VERY organized n tho they were a bit pricey (compared to what im used to) i felt like there was a genuine concern for the health of my hair. i would recommend them to anyone.

:sad:Wow!:nono: I thought Ambiance was supposed to be one of the best in Tallahassee. Anyway, I met a young lady today in Thomasville GA and her hair was gorgeous! It looked so healthy. I believe she told me the name of the salon she went to was called "Heavenly Hands" or something like that. Check it out and let me know. I hope you get the same results she did.

It's so sad that people in Tally are still looking for good salon. :nono:

Well, when I was there I went to two places. One lady, Ms. Betty, was an older lady, but she was good as far as haircare. She also did good spiral sets and straw sets. She is at Private Quaters on Brevard (I believe).
I also went to a lady at Cost Cutters named Mica. It's out on Capital Circle. You can either take Monroe and make a right, or (I believe it's Adams/the street that runs next to FAMU) and make a left. She was good, but it was always hit or miss with her. Now she's good as far as cuts (e.g. layers, bobs, etc.). I just don't care for what she uses to set rollersets with. It sometimes weighs the hair down if she doesn't mix it with the right amount of water (a Paul Mitchell Product). I honestly started going to her b/c I was in and out when I went. She doesn't provide variety though.

If you want someone who can do different things then she wouldn't be my choice. With Ms. Betty, you're going to have to wait though. But she can do more than one thing. And she's sweet as apple pie. There is also another lady in the shop with Ms. Betty named Terri. Terri's younger and typically has a younger clientile than Ms. Betty. I didn't go to her, but I knew some people who did, and she did nice hair also.

I've also heard some good reviews about the Master Cuts in Tallahassee Mall, but I've never gone and wouldn't know who to suggest. Good Luck hun. I remember how it was when I was there. Going from person to person b/c no one can seem to get it right!

I'm sorry to tell you, but just about every hairdresser I've gone to in Tallahassee takes a while. When I first moved to Tally, I went to Kiersten & Company. Now there, they run a tight ship and stick to a strict schedule. However, I didn't think my hair was all that. Especially for what I paid. However, I didn't see Kiersten (the owner). Trenice (owner) at Celebrites takes a while, but the outcome is worth it. She must work on about 5 heads at the same time. Good luck. Keep us posted and let us know if you find someone worthwhile.

I'm sorry to tell you, but just about every hairdresser I've gone to in Tallahassee takes a while. When I first moved to Tally, I went to Kiersten & Company. Now there, they run a tight ship and stick to a strict schedule. However, I didn't think my hair was all that. Especially for what I paid. However, I didn't see Kiersten (the owner). Trenice (owner) at Celebrites takes a while, but the outcome is worth it. She must work on about 5 heads at the same time. Good luck. Keep us posted and let us know if you find someone worthwhile.

You took the words right out of my mouth, I was going to mention the very same two salons, and you're right it is very difficult to actually get a booking with Kiersten at "Kiersten and Company". However, I hear Erick at "Studio E" on South Monroe is supposed to be very good and I know from experience that the owner of "All About Hair" is very good (can't think of her name though) She's located on Lafeyette St across from the Govenor's Square Mall behind Moe's, it's in a little plaza. She is very professional and believe's in good hair care. Also, don't know if you've tried the Aveda hair school but one of the ladies at my church who had waist length hair at the time, went there and got a blow out and it was absolutely gorgeos. HTH!

There's an Aveda hair salon in Tally? !!! Sorry, it's off track. I live about 1 1/2 hours away but I would drive to Tally for that!

When I used to get a relaxer, I went to a guy named Duane who was at this salon on Thomasville, but now he is at Clippers II (Not the one on Tennessee St.) He was really really good and he was very into taking care of hair in a healthy way.

When I used to get a relaxer, I went to a guy named Duane who was at this salon on Thomasville, but now he is at Clippers II (Not the one on Tennessee St.) He was really really good and he was very into taking care of hair in a healthy way.
Yeah I know who you're talking about, I used to work with a girl a couple of years ago who went to him and her hair always looked nice.

However, I hear Erick at "Studio E" on South Monroe is supposed to be very good and I know from experience that the owner of "All About Hair" is very good (can't think of her name though) She's located on Lafeyette St across from the Govenor's Square Mall behind Moe's, it's in a little plaza. She is very professional and believe's in good hair care. Also, don't know if you've tried the Aveda hair school but one of the ladies at my church who had waist length hair at the time, went there and got a blow out and it was absolutely gorgeos. HTH!

I hear alot about Erick....but that he's only good with short cuts. I really want to try "All About Hair" thanks for the review.

There's a salon called Ten Hair Rejuevenation. Everytime I see someone who's been to her their hair is always fly and healthy looking. She's located on the corner of Paul Russell and Zillah street across from Jack McClean Park...the salon looks like a house so you have to pay attention to not miss it.

This thread is right on time. I'm still looking for a good stylist in Tallahassee. I have been eyeballiing the Aveda place.

When I wasn't doing my own relaxers I would go see Brenda Moss, owner of the previously mentioned Private Quarters. Betty is good too, especially if you have natural hair, but Brenda takes less time. You have to say Brenda cause her daughter also works there. She's definitely into hair care, she next trimmed my ends unless it was needed. Her daughter is a master braider by the way (she braids natural hair as well as extensions and she's very gentle with children). I highly recommend this salon.

Though, now that I do my own hair (relaxers, sets, everything) if I want to get something done so I don't have to or to feel pampered I go the the Aveda Institute. Its cheaper and they still know what their doing. I only don't recommend them for relaxers cause I've never gotten one done there, but I wouldn't nock it. I have gotten rollerset's there and a damage remedy treatment (which is heavenly). I have seen someone get a twist out (natural) and it came out beatiful!

There's an Aveda hair salon in Tally? !!! Sorry, it's off track. I live about 1 1/2 hours away but I would drive to Tally for that!

There's the Aveda institute and then an independent salon on North Monroe, I'll post the name tomorrow.

I used to go to All About Hair (Lolita) - she is very pricey now ($75 for a relaxer/trim) but she definitely takes care of the hair and doesn't take all day. Everyone I referred there loves her, but not her prices. I was BSL when I went and she wasn't scissor happy - she kept me long and healthy.

My current stylist USED to be in the Dillard's salon in Tallahassee Mall (which is now closed). :wallbash: She is so good that I now go to Pensacola (where she moved) every 3 months to get my hair done. I am spoiled by the service I get from her (she does me and me alone - if I'm under the dryer she may prep one other person tops). I refuse to sit in anybody's shop for hours on end while they juggle 4 - 6 people in the same time slot. :nono::rolleyes:

Is this salon on Apalachee Pkwy? If so, I have been there a couple times to get my brows waxed. Each time it was like jumping through hoops of fire to either get them to pick up the phone, or to schedule me for an appt. I called multiple times (after being instructed to call again each time), and evidently irked them because I heard the stylist say "is this the girl....." :nono: So the first wax was ok. I went again, and made the mistake of not telling her to SHAPE me, not make me bald. When I got up, my brows were literally the thickness of one pencil stroke. :wallbash::wallbash: It was just too much work to get a simple brow wax and I picked up vibes I didn't like every time I stepped foot inside. Now I get my brows done at an Aveda salon. I pay a little more, but it's worth it to get the professional treatment. I wish we would do better in this area. :ohwell:

I have become soooooooo discouraged in finding a GOOD stylist in Tallahassee who has my hair's best interest at heart, so I thought I would see if any of you ladies had any stylist recommendations!

Today was just the last straw:

I went to Ambiance Salon for the first time to try it out, and I had the owner doing my hair. When I arrived at 10AM for my appt, she finally came out and looked at her book, and said that she had my down for a wash and set, which I had requested a relaxer, trim, and set. So that irked me a little, but she fixed it. There was another girl for her also waiting, and she asked her what she was getting, and she just needed a wash and set, and she sent her right back to the assistant to get her washed. This should have raised a red flag for me, as it was already 10:15.

It wasn't until 11AM until she finally started doing my relaxer. She didn't even do any kind of consultation with me being that it was my first time there, she just started relaxing. I was irritated by then, and not in a very friendly mood, so I was pretty quiet, and she didn't even bother to try to talk to me. She continued to talk to all the people around her. She was very harsh with my hair, which I find is my main issue with stylists b/c my hair is extremely delicate. There was no mirror at her station-- another red flag, and after she finished putting the relaxer in I moved to another station, where I caught a glance at my hair. She had put relaxer about 3 inches past my new growth! This was strike two.

She had me sit and wait, while she took some other clients and did their hair, and I began to wonder when she was going to wash me! I started to burn a little, and I told her this, and she said ok, it just needed a little longer. She finished flat ironing another girls hair, then saran wrapped her and put her under the dryer, then she washed another lady's hair and PUT ROLLERS IN! By now I am full on burning, and it had to have been over 20min since the relaxer had been on! I actually started to wonder whether all my hair was going to fall out!

Well finally she finished, and told me to come over, and she washed me out. She put a conditioner on me, and shoved me under the dryer forever, while she took a few other customers. An assistant came much later to wash me out, and she asked me what I was getting, and I told her a roller set, but I asked her how long it would take, since I had somewhere to be, and hadn't anticipated being at the salon for so long! She said about an hour, and I said ok. So she takes me to the chair, and gets about 4 rollers in, when she stops and heads over to the shampoo room, without telling me anything. About 15 minutes pass by, and I'm still waiting for her to come back! By now I'm getting angry, and I have LHCF on the mind as I think of some of the brave ladies who have got up and walked out!

So finally a different assistant comes over, and attempts to start rolling my hair again-- This was around 1:15. I tell her that I have to go, and that I will pay for the relaxer and finish my hair at home. She tells me to let her blowdry me, and I tell her that isn't necessary. She took out the 4 rollers, and I put my hair in a ponytail and got up. She goes to tell my stylist, who is doing someone elses hair of course, and she comes over and apologizes and insists that I let the assistant dry my hair. I tell her no thanks, that I have to go, and she insists again, and says that she will curl my hair as soon as she's done...So I sit back down (:nono:) and she dries me. My stylist/owner then flat irons my hair, then saran wrapped me, then put me under the dryer forever once again. After like 30 mins she came and got me, and had me wait while she finished someone's hair, and she proceeded to flat iron me again (to style this time) on a very high heat I might add.

Well i ended up walking out of there 4 hours later, at 2. She didn't even give me a discount! I couldn't believe it..and I will NEVER go back again.

Overall, my hair went thru soooo much trauma today I am surprised I have anything left on my head! The rough comb thru of my unruly new growth, the ripping through the tangles, the overprocessing, the heat from the deep conditioning/first flat iron/second flat iron. My hair must hate me-- I'll have to deep condition for days after that one... I really have almost given up on having someone else do my hair. But I just can't relax myself! I have done it in the past, and ended up getting relaxer on more than new growth, and burning myself b/c I couldn't get it done quick enough. My hair was in bad shape when I self-relaxed, so this is not an option. Salon-goers in Tallahassee, please help me out! Who's your stylist?

My current stylist USED to be in the Dillard's salon in Tallahassee Mall (which is now closed). :wallbash: She is so good that I now go to Pensacola (where she moved) every 3 months to get my hair done. I am spoiled by the service I get from her (she does me and me alone - if I'm under the dryer she may prep one other person tops). I refuse to sit in anybody's shop for hours on end while they juggle 4 - 6 people in the same time slot. :nono::rolleyes:

I used to go here too!!! Delicia was my stylist, and I miss her to death :-(

Is this salon on Apalachee Pkwy? If so, I have been there a couple times to get my brows waxed. Each time it was like jumping through hoops of fire to either get them to pick up the phone, or to schedule me for an appt. I called multiple times (after being instructed to call again each time), and evidently irked them because I heard the stylist say "is this the girl....." :nono: So the first wax was ok. I went again, and made the mistake of not telling her to SHAPE me, not make me bald. When I got up, my brows were literally the thickness of one pencil stroke. :wallbash::wallbash: It was just too much work to get a simple brow wax and I picked up vibes I didn't like every time I stepped foot inside. Now I get my brows done at an Aveda salon. I pay a little more, but it's worth it to get the professional treatment. I wish we would do better in this area. :ohwell:

Yep, thats the one :nono:

I used to go here too!!! Delicia was my stylist, and I miss her to death :-(
Yes, I still go to Delicia!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I love her!!!!! She is seriously worth the drive for me. I take my daughter with me, so between the two of us and gas, it is only $15 more than taking us both to Lolita at All About Hair.

Has anyone been to Chelsea's? I know a few ladies that go their to see Miranda. She is supposed to be an excellent stylist.

I've been to chelsea's. Thats the first salon i tried since I've had to find a new stylist. It is an aveda concept salon, which i liked, and I actually may go back, but to a different stylist. I had Shana, who must have been fairly new since her prices were the lowest in comparison with the other stylists.

She told me that she doesnt relax bone straight, she leaves some curl in the hair, which I found interesting coming from a stylist, because I've never had a stylist tell me that, but I was okay with it cause my hair tends to be kinda flat. I did wonder how her other clients felt about that though, since I know how some women love their bone straight relaxer!

As always, she was kinda rough with my hair, but I'm beginning to wonder if every stylist is like that since this seems to be the common problem. The shampoo was the most intense shampoo I've ever recieved in my life-- and that is not a good thing! It was interesting, to say the least, VERY rough. She didn't deep condition, she just wrapped a warm towel around my hair for a couple mins, then rinsed me. Idk if its as effective, especially after a relaxer I want a good deep condition.

She actually got out a BRUSH to go through my wet hair, which I've never gotten that before. I was freaking out while she tore through my hair-- I mean, a brush is just the worst for my hair, especially when wet! And the brush was dirty-- I watched her open her drawer, and I saw a brush FULL of hair, then she closed it and I could see that she was looking around for another brush/comb to detangle my hair with. She returned, without one, and had stopped paying attention for a little, and before I knew it she had opened the drawer again, and started brushing my hair. She did it really quick, but I looked and saw that the brush with all the hair in it was missing. :perplexed She put me under the dryer, then took another girl, and used the same brush on her. Then when it was my turn again, she used it on me again! That kinda rubbed me the wrong way, but I wasn't sure of the sanitation rules, so I didn't say anything.

She criticized pretty much all of my products, which are all salon products might i add, and wanted me to go from washing once a week to once every three weeks. There is no way in heck I could do that! My hair gets greasy feeling, and weighed down, and breaks easy when its dirty. She just kept trying to chance my regime too much, and I've gone through years of trying out things, and have finally found what works for 'my hair', and I'm not changing it for nothin!

The style was the bomb though! I've got to give her that. My hair has never looked better, and I've never been able to leave a salon straight, and go somewhere. Usually I have to stop at the bathroom and fix it to my liking first, but it was really cute!

Last edited:
Has anyone been to Chelsea's? I know a few ladies that go their to see Miranda. She is supposed to be an excellent stylist.

I know someone who goes there. I'll ask her who her stylist is. I go to a smaller concept salon for my brows (J. Michael's I believe) and they recommended I try Chelsea's for highlights, which supposedly carries a wider variety of color (the darker blondes and browns).

Sorry to hear about your experience at Ambiance. When I'm home to visit my parents, I see Dorinda and she was always good. Now that I'm going natural and growing the perm out, I've been doing my own hair. My mom still goes there and she just loves Dorinda. Sorry you had that experience.

Garrett's Hair Salon on Lake Bradford. Garrett the owner has been doing my hair since I moved there in 96'. He's really good. Don't let the atmosphere of the shop scare you.

Back